YYZ To Implement Security Screening Appointments

broberts

I am curious to see how this will work.  

We have Nexus and if flying through T1 in Toronto then we have a Nexus line that is generally quick.  In T3 Toronto which seems to be our Toronto terminal lately as we are flying more airlines that fly out of T3, we have noticed that the Nexus line is not always there.

I think that I also read - somewhere other than the article above - that in T1 the service is available morning to night but in T3 it does not start until 2pm or later?

Originally with Nexus you would fly through security.  (No pun intended) When Nexus became more and more popular, then the wait times increased.

I can see with this service that if it becomes popular that they will have a volume issue quickly.  They can only dedicate so many staff to reservations and they can only process so many people per minute. The reservations will book up and you will just be in a line because all the reservations are full.

Perhaps I am being negative, but to me this is optics for us to think that some revolutionary new system is emerging.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am curious to see how this will work.  

We have Nexus and if flying through T1 in Toronto then we have a Nexus line that is generally quick.  In T3 Toronto which seems to be our Toronto terminal lately as we are flying more airlines that fly out of T3, we have noticed that the Nexus line is not always there.

Isn't NEXUS  for USA/Canada  entry?

I think more International flights use  T3  at least the ones we have used 

32 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You aren't wrong , but Air Canada, United, and Lufthansa have their flights out of T1. But aren't we talking about going through security for Toronto departures? So it doesn't really matter about destination ( except for the additional hassle of Customs preclearance for US flights, which is a separate discussion)

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You aren't wrong , but Air Canada, United, and Lufthansa have their flights out of T1. But aren't we talking about going through security for Toronto departures? So it doesn't really matter about destination ( except for the additional hassle of Customs preclearance for US flights, which is a separate discussion)

I am not sure what NexUs is  but thought it was to do with security to USA ??

Have never  travelled enough to really need to apply

In any case

It would be good if the new appt program works for people  exiting Canada  rather than standing in line  for a long time

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Nexus is for USA / Canada.

BUT, it also works if you are departing to anywhere in the world to have a faster line through security. 

T3 used to have a Nexus line.  American and Delta both fly from T3 and it would make sense that Canadians would fly to the USA through T3.  As I say, they used to have a Nexus line.

So, Nexus works exiting Canada to any destination in the world, and coming back in, regardless of where you are coming from, Nexus has separate machines and lines for Canada Customs coming home.  

We rarely fly or drive to the USA.  We got Nexus for the convenience of what I just stated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Nexus is for USA / Canada.

BUT, it also works if you are departing to anywhere in the world to have a faster line through security. 

T3 used to have a Nexus line.  American and Delta both fly from T3 and it would make sense that Canadians would fly to the USA through T3.  As I say, they used to have a Nexus line.

So, Nexus works exiting Canada to any destination in the world, and coming back in, regardless of where you are coming from, Nexus has separate machines and lines for Canada Customs coming home.  

We rarely fly or drive to the USA.  We got Nexus for the convenience of what I just stated.

At YEG, we've used NEXUS cards at security for domestic flights. That may be because domestic and non-US international flights go through the same security gate. I've also used NEXUS in Kelowna... not sure if there are any international flights from Kelowna.

The Pearson T3 US departures has a Nexus line which feeds directly into US immigration.  It’s always there, it’s just hard to see since it’s around the corner from the main entry, past the bathrooms.   There was a stretch when travel was limited where it wasn’t open all the time, but now that numbers are back up it’s been open every time we’ve flown.  There was a separate Priority line for premium seats, business, first class and airline status holders, but it’s often not is use.

T3 Canadian/International departures share two separate security lines, the highly visible one in the middle of the terminal and one hidden around the corner at the far left end, and there’s technically a separate Nexus line, but it’s often merged with Priority so it can be backed up sometimes.  It almost always saves time over the regular line if it’s at all busy.

• Like 1