Sapphire benefit Dinner with the officers

Patsfans

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I witnessed my first dinner-with-officers last week.  It happened at the next table in an MDR.  Two officers and four couples.  It was almost painful to watch.  I asked DW and DD at one point if they saw any faces at that table that looked like they were having fun.  Three witnesses and not a single affirmative report. 

Good. You should not attend.

We sign up every opportunity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I witnessed my first dinner-with-officers last week.  It happened at the next table in an MDR.  Two officers and four couples.  It was almost painful to watch.  I asked DW and DD at one point if they saw any faces at that table that looked like they were having fun.  Three witnesses and not a single affirmative report. 

...and the fox assured us that the unreachable grapes were, in fact, sour.

• Like 3

We're Sapphire, and dinner with the officers is not appealing to us.  I'd rather they gave us another free premium restaurant meal above the Platinum offering, and I would imagine the officers would rather that as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thank you, but you're telling me something that I already know.  I believe that contrarian opinions on a discussion board are what make for good discussion.

I almost spit out my water with this comment. LOL. hope you had a good cruise....

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

hope you had a good cruise....

Thanks.  That's the only kind of cruise I take (so far 😎).  It was a ten day Eastern Carribean and the weather was fantastic.  I also learned that you almost need to take a class to navigate the Miami airport and that at least one Miami Uber driver has no idea about what is where in the port.

• Thanks 1

I agree. Dined with officers at the Marine Corps ball in 1967. The girlfriend who is now DW wanted to go. Do you really think I want to dine with officers on a cruise ship while I lose time at the bar?

• Haha 2

We'll be on the Joy in <20 days, and rumor has it that the dinner is back on. I'll let you know how it goes. Going in honor of a fallen friend who would have loved to chew the ear off of anyone who is lucky enough to work on these amazing ships. Hoping I can pull up the tidbits of ship trivia he shared with me over the years (rat guards, always remember the 🐀) and make him proud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Going in honor of a fallen friend who would have loved to chew the ear off of anyone who is lucky enough to work on these amazing ships. Hoping I can pull up the tidbits of ship trivia he shared with me over the years (rat guards, always remember the 🐀) and make him proud.

Amen Sister!!  🐀 Be sure to lift a Blue Moon for our mutual friend.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We'll be on the Joy in <20 days, and rumor has it that the dinner is back on. I'll let you know how it goes. Going in honor of a fallen friend who would have loved to chew the ear off of anyone who is lucky enough to work on these amazing ships. Hoping I can pull up the tidbits of ship trivia he shared with me over the years (rat guards, always remember the 🐀) and make him proud.

It wasn't happening on the Epic last week. The only perk they offered was a wine tasting.

The only time we've done dinner with the officer was on the Pearl a few years ago, where anyone could sign up. It was an amazing dinner at Lebistro with the General Manager and the F&B Manager. There was only one other couple so we were able to get a lot of information from the officers.

9 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

It wasn't happening on the Epic last week. The only perk they offered was a wine tasting.

The only time we've done dinner with the officer was on the Pearl a few years ago, where anyone could sign up. It was an amazing dinner at Lebistro with the General Manager and the F&B Manager. There was only one other couple so we were able to get a lot of information from the officers.

There's someone on the Joy now posting who said it was available, so that's why I'm thinking it is for my journey at least.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

There's someone on the Joy now posting who said it was available, so that's why I'm thinking it is for my journey at least.

It is my understanding that the Officers Dinner has just begun  to come back.  It might be a bit yet before it will be available on all ships.   There should be an announcement about it in your Freestyle Daily and you can always ask about it at the Guest Services Desk.

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

It is my understanding that the Officers Dinner has just begun  to come back.  It might be a bit yet before it will be available on all ships.   There should be an announcement about it in your Freestyle Daily and you can always ask about it at the Guest Services Desk.

This is a perk for upper tier Latitudes members (Sapphire, Diamond and Ambassador only).

They restarted in on a few ships a year ago. We attended in April 2022. 

It is never in the Freestyle Daily.

If you are an upper tier Latitudes member, you need to sign up at the Cruise Next desk (not Guest Services) on embarkation day. First come, first serve. It could sell out. I could be under subscribed and cancelled. The Assistant General Manager's office will notify you on Day 2 or 3 if the dinner will happen and where to meet. You need to call the Assistant General Manager's office to confirm your attendance. 

You also sign up for the Wines Around the World Tasting (this sells out) and Sail & Sustain Mixology Experience on embarkation day at Cruise Next. 

I attended dinner with the officers on a September 2022 cruise. My first since I hit sapphire. Now granted our officers were one of the stage managers & an assistant art gallery manager but my table had a good time as the two ladies were very fun to chat with. It was 10 total at my table in the Tropicana.

I skipped attending the dinner on my cruise last month cause they scheduled it for 6pm while we were in St Kitts and I knew I wasn't going to be back in time to the ship since all aboard was 6:30p after a 12p pm arrival (with delayed port clearance). I would definitely do it again if the scheduling doesn't conflict with afternoon / evening port. Now the wine tasting I've missed twice but I've read mixed reviews on that event. 

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This is a perk for upper tier Latitudes members (Sapphire, Diamond and Ambassador only).

They restarted in on a few ships a year ago. We attended in April 2022. 

It is never in the Freestyle Daily.

If you are an upper tier Latitudes member, you need to sign up at the Cruise Next desk (not Guest Services) on embarkation day. First come, first serve. It could sell out. I could be under subscribed and cancelled. The Assistant General Manager's office will notify you on Day 2 or 3 if the dinner will happen and where to meet. You need to call the Assistant General Manager's office to confirm your attendance. 

You also sign up for the Wines Around the World Tasting (this sells out) and Sail & Sustain Mixology Experience on embarkation day at Cruise Next. 

Over the last three weeks or so, every Freestyle Daily I have read has a one paragraph about the Officers Dinner in the bottom right hand corner of the front page (Breakaway, Getaway, Dawn in particular).

• Like 2

We are on the Sky in Cayman and today received our invitation to dine with GM Jean-Michel this Friday night.  I’m really looking forward to it.  He will be our fifth GM out of a total of 30 NCL officers we have gotten to know over dinner. It turns out that one of our favorite GMs, Djamel, was the best man at Jean-Michel’s wedding, so I’m sure we’ll find plenty to talk about.

On 2/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

This is how I expect it would be too. And, I'm sure those officers that can put a good game face on, laughing and talking, go back to their duties praising the almighty their turn at dinner with the officers is over the next however many rotations. 

I used to be a school admin and hosted times coffee chats to speak with parents. It was the same asinine questions over and over. Different face, different kid's parent, same script. The moment the last parent was out the door was the highlight of my week. And, of course, after the coffee, the parents thought we were besties - made it easier when I had to have those difficult conversations at least.

Seems you and I agree on this dine with officers and the hotel/technical presentations onboard. 

On 2/6/2023 at 4:07 PM, Seafan22 said:

We're Sapphire, and dinner with the officers is not appealing to us.  I'd rather they gave us another free premium restaurant meal above the Platinum offering, and I would imagine the officers would rather that as well.

What a phenomenal idea!

• Like 3

On 2/6/2023 at 4:07 PM, Seafan22 said:

we don't care for it either, or the ship tour. I love your idea of another premium dinner, or how about some extra onboard credit. 🙂

we're sapphire and just got off the jewel on the 4th. no notice of dinner with an officer (although i definitely would have taken a pass on this one) and cruise next did offer the wine tasting, but not being a wine drinker, i figured it would be wasted on me, so we passed on that also.

oh, and chiefmate jrk, nice to hear rom  you again!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:44 PM, Sailing12Away said:

Wait, your Sapphire already?  Darn you guys work fast.   :)  And for anyone wondering, we will have the Blue Moon lifted early and often at the end of the month.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

And for anyone wondering, we will have the Blue Moon lifted early and often at the end of the month.  

🐀😎

I've actually acquired a taste for Blue Moon (of course, if Guinness is on board that's all I'll drink unless the Brewhouse is closed).

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:07 PM, Seafan22 said:

I often mention my complete lack-of-interest in many of the perks when I do a post-cruise survey.  Allergic to strawberries.  I also don't drink, also allergies, so the wine and wine tasting is always a no. 

I do take NCL excursions so the discount is good but means I have no need for priority tenders.

I've mentioned many times that choices would be nice, at least with respect to the welcome strawberries.  Wouldn't cost them anything.

So far I've not been on a cruise that had the dinners and tours - I was happy with the OBC they were giving out but they stopped that as soon as they brought back the wine tasting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

🐀😎

I've actually acquired a taste for Blue Moon (of course, if Guinness is on board that's all I'll drink unless the Brewhouse is closed).

With the brewhouse I agree it's not going to be my main brew.  On the older ships (pre-district) I drink a lot more of it.