Apex - Did Rooftop Grill Disappear?

carolina_yankee

Preparing for our November 12 embarkation on the Apex, I noticed that Rooftop Grill disappeared from the list of restaurants. Also, while we have a reservation for dinner there on our first night and it still shows in our calendar, clicking on it creates a pop window saying to call Celebrity to make any changes or for more information.  Assuming the reservation is good, I don’t need to call Celebrity, but I’m curious why the venue seems to have disappeared from the listed dining in the App?

And my biggest concern - I don’t want to show up to a closed venue and get shut out of dinner because everything else is booked up!

Edited by carolina_yankee

It’s not my favorite booking of the specialties, but our friends are celebrating their anniversary this cruise so they got to pick opening night dining on us. Another reason I don’t want it to go kerplop!

I just checked the website and the venue shows and is available for bookings. It’s just weird that it disappeared from the app! Cruising is an adventure . . .

Edited by carolina_yankee

Not your question, but to balance out post #2, I ate there last March and it was my worst specialty restaurant meal on Celebrity. I'll be on Apex in December and won't be eating there, even if it still exists. 😀

We enjoyed lunch there in January and, although the ship was only about 1/3rd full, it was completely empty apart from us. It was a nice day, so there was nothing stopping people eating there.

Food was good, but if they can't pull more people in, I can't see it lasting long as the restaurants are profit-driven!

I was more interested in the steakhouse but our friends were more interested in the Roof Top Grille. Their anniversary, their choice. But we did all agree on Raw on 5 for another night, so that’s booked! As long as RTG still exists we’ll have four specialty dinners and three complimentary dinners on our first Celebrity cruise. It will be fun to compare and contrast.

All of this came up because I was looking to see if there was a nearby place for drink service if I hang out on the Roof Top Garden area. From the map, it didn’t look like it, so I started checking the location of teach of the dining and bar/lounge venues to see what might be near by. That’s when I discovered RTG dropped off the list on the app.

39 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

All of this came up because I was looking to see if there was a nearby place for drink service if I hang out on the Roof Top Garden area. From the map, it didn’t look like it, so I started checking the location of teach of the dining and bar/lounge venues to see what might be near by. That’s when I discovered RTG dropped off the list on the app.

Sunset Bar is close by.

You're not crazy, I have reservations for Rooftop on my Thanksgiving sailing on Apex and I noticed it disappeared from the list of restaurants.  I started to get concerned myself. I'm glad to know it's back to being listed again.  I'm not so glad to hear the poor reviews. Maybe I should cancel and book the Steakhouse instead. I Already also have Eden and Raw on Five booked.

It was not used during our Apex cruises in Aug but the itinerary was cool weather so perhaps understandable.  We had first night reservations still on our calendar and were notified once onboard.  Meal was refunded and we were offered a complimentary meal to use during the cruise - worked out very well.

19 hours ago, WKUTopperFan said:

You're not crazy, I have reservations for Rooftop on my Thanksgiving sailing on Apex and I noticed it disappeared from the list of restaurants.  I started to get concerned myself. I'm glad to know it's back to being listed again.  I'm not so glad to hear the poor reviews. Maybe I should cancel and book the Steakhouse instead. I Already also have Eden and Raw on Five booked.

The app and the website are in disagreement over the existence of Sunset Grill, but both still show the booking. I just can’t cancel or modify the booking ont he app, while I can for the other specialty dining, which made me think something was up.

As long as we can get into someplace at the last minute (Steakhouse, or another specialty dining), I’ll be fine. I want to see the 9:00 show, too, so timing is important!

7 hours ago, lizinindy said:

I know your friends get to decide since it's their anniversary but I agree with previous posters---not a great choice as far as food goes. It can also be windy. I'd choose just about anywhere else.

I would laugh mightily (but only on the inside) if it were canceled and all we could get was Steakhouse as the replacement. I want to try it, but they think it will bad and claim they’ve read bad reviews. We’re giving them Eden another night, too, as well as Le Petite Chef, so we’re not stiffing them.  

5 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

It was not used during our Apex cruises in Aug but the itinerary was cool weather so perhaps understandable.  We had first night reservations still on our calendar and were notified once onboard.  Meal was refunded and we were offered a complimentary meal to use during the cruise - worked out very well.

I’m sure they’ll work with us if there is an issue. I’ll be sure to report back! (Assuming reliable internet.)

I would hold that dining option off until you are onboard.  On our January sailing, that venue was hardly used so you should have no problem making the reservations onboard.  Leaving Fort Lauderdale, I would not count on balmy weather or calm seas to dine on the rooftop.