Air Tags, Tile or Smart Tags in luggage?

rjack22

2 hours ago, HS2BS said:

We purchased the four pack(air tags) and put one in each suitcase and one in our roll on. The fourth was placed in the pocket of my wife’s wheelchair. Flying from

JFK to LHR, our flight was delayed and then a plane change. My wife checked to make sure that her wheelchair made it to the plane change - it didn’t! Before the doors closed we notified the head steward, who called baggage ground control and located the wheelchair within 10 minutes. We could actually tell when it reached the plane.

invaluable for travel

Hal

Excellent, could you tell them where it was?

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That's the "package" that I bought (Amazon). As with most (if not all) Apple products they are all "price fixed". It doesn't really matter where you buy...you're probably going to pay the same.

Here in Canada we can save $20 by buying at Costco online but if you buy direct from Apple you can get them engraved with up to 4 characters.  I like that idea.

Apple iTags for us in our hold luggage. It's comforting to know the bags are on board, but be sure you are well connected to the Wifi. One of our bags appeared to be still in the terminal when we were sitting on the plane until I got a stronger signal.

36 minutes ago, bobpell said:

Our luggage is hard sided, and I did not purchase air tag holders. Anyone have problems with signal not getting through?

thanks

Bob

As long as your suit case isn't made of metal, which most aren't, I've read that it doesn't implead the signal. 

2 hours ago, bobpell said:

Our luggage is hard sided, and I did not purchase air tag holders. Anyone have problems with signal not getting through?

thanks

Bob

I have hard-sided luggage.  Haven’t had any problems with the AirTags while flying.

Only problem I’ve had with the AirTags is when we travelled on Amtrak.  Turns out there aren’t enough Apple devices in the baggage car!  All throughout our train, it kept telling me my baggage was still in station!

On 11/5/2022 at 6:57 PM, pcur said:

They are also great for finding your car in a huge parking lot, finding your purse or car keys.  Sometimes in between trips I will use it for this.  I just wish I could use it on my phone.  I'm forever putting it down someplace odd at home.  

Someone should invent a "clapper" app for phones, like the lamps that turn on and off when you clap..........

Didn’t see anyone mention it - if you use a Tile tag, they have a button on the tag.  Pressing the button makes your phone ping.  Attach a Tile to your keys - so if you can’t find your keys, use your phone.  If you can’t find your phone, use your keys.  If you can’t find either…. 😶

On 11/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, DougandEric said:

ThePointsGuy site has an article about setting them up and using them (AirTags).  I’d recommend they go inside a side pocket so they don’t get ripped off like luggage tags.

I love ThePointsGuy articles...thanks for the info...he clearly explains the entire process!

21 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Air tags are for Apple users.  Tiles are for android.  EM

There are definitely more differences.  Tile is designed for use with either - there’s an app you have to install on your mobile device.  Air tags were designed for use with Apple products - support is already built into existing apps, but you can’t use them on Android.

things have changed over time (like batteries not being replaceable on Tile’s products) so I’m not sure that this is still accurate, but I use both, depending on what my primary needs are.  

Tile is great for finding things around the house - two way signaling, multiple formats for their devices, and other features make them really handy for keys and wallets around the house.  Air Tags have a very robust location function, and are great for tracking things outside of the house - so for luggage, backpacks, and 5 year olds (your own of course!).

Edited by WAvoyager

And Smart Tags are for Samsung Galaxy phones (Android).   If you have a Galaxy phone take a look at the Smart Tags.   Very similar to Air Tags.    The Smart Tag is more limited as to what phone you can use it on but if you do have a Samsung Galaxy phone then you are all set.

I just started a new thread in "Ask a Cruise Question" about a new luggage tracking product that just hit the market.  Supposed to be compatible with Apple, and also provide an Android app with "limited" functionality.

Thought those on this thread might be interested in following.

Theron

• Like 1