Wi-fi cutbacks for elites?

Kruzkrazy

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems Princess is ending limited but free wi-fi time for elite pax and charging us a discounted rate for all used minutes. True? If so, it will make me and dw umhappy. Could even be another straw on the camel's back, encouraging us to migrate to other lines, such as Viking or Oceania. Yeah, they cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Thx. KK.

As platinum or elite you can prebook 4 wi-fi devices for 7 days for $35.  I like this much better than the 250 free minutes before the change.  You can share these with your companions and it would end up being $1.25 per day per device.  I was able to do this on the medallion app prior to cruise or you can get this on board the first day of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kruzkrazy said:

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems Princess is ending limited but free wi-fi time for elite pax and charging us a discounted rate for all used minutes. True? If so, it will make me and dw umhappy. Could even be another straw on the camel's back, encouraging us to migrate to other lines, such as Viking or Oceania. Yeah, they cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Thx. KK.

The new internet is metered by the day now, not by the minute. Therefore, the old perk is not possible, so Princess offers Platinum and Elite passengers the 50% discount.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Just one of their Elite perk scale backs.  There will be more, you can be sure.

Maybe there are simply too many Elites.? Should there be a system involving maintaining one’s status rather like most of the airlines.  In that way Princess may well enhance the perks rather than reduce them.

34 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

As platinum or elite you can prebook 4 wi-fi devices for 7 days for $35.  I like this much better than the 250 free minutes before the change.  You can share these with your companions and it would end up being $1.25 per day per device.  I was able to do this on the medallion app prior to cruise or you can get this on board the first day of the cruise.

I don't think so. As far as I know, the $35 booked in advance for platinum or elite is for the 1 device at a time package. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kruzkrazy said:

Thx. KK.

Guess you have been out of touch for a while.  This was changed just before or when Princess returned to service.  If you login to Princess.com and look in the Captain's Circle section - you will see the info on the new benefits for each member level (in fact, you don't even need to login).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, candy4040 said:

Not quite.  Internet is $10/day for 1-device and $20/day for 4-devices.  Less 50% discount on both options.  Best for a couple to order ONE 4-device package for the same price as TWO single-device packages. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Just one of their Elite perk scale backs.  There will be more, you can be sure.

I don't see replacing free 250 minutes with unlimited at $5.00/day as a cutback. To me the cutback is not living up to the promise that internet on a cruise would be like working at home.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not quite.  Internet is $10/day for 1-device and $20/day for 4-devices.  Less 50% discount on both options.  Best for a couple to order ONE 4-device package for the same price as TWO single-device packages. 

I just prebooked for my February cruises (4 weeks) and was given 7 days of 4 devices for $35 each week.  Maybe it was some kind of deal they offer on certain cruises.

Edited by candy4040

5 hours ago, billco said:

I don't see replacing free 250 minutes with unlimited at $5.00/day as a cutback. To me the cutback is not living up to the promise that internet on a cruise would be like working at home.

Don' recall that promise.  Internet on a ship is satellite radio based and will most likely never match what is avbl in a home connected by fibre or cable to the internet.

7 hours ago, billco said:

I don't see replacing free 250 minutes with unlimited at $5.00/day as a cutback. 

Absolutely correct (even if it is $10 a day).  But, some posters seem to have lost perspective and can't get over their perception that they now have to pay for something that they used to get (much less of) for free.  It suits their prevailing narrative of feeling unloved and unrewarded for their 'loyalty' to Princess.  I sense that most others will see unlimited internet either as part of this package or Princess Plus as a pretty good deal (even if the service is a bit rubbish).  And, of course, those who don't like it can always go and find another cruise line that might reward their 'loyalty' better if 250 minutes free internet is really that important to them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Don' recall that promise.  Internet on a ship is satellite radio based and will most likely never match what is avbl in a home connected by fibre or cable to the internet.

What Princess promises:

The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

MedallionNet Wi-Fi is fast, reliable and wherever you are. Stream your favorite shows, movies, music and sports. Stay connected to the internet anywhere on board so you can text, post photos, video chat and more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, candy4040 said:

I just prebooked for my February cruises (4 weeks) and was given 7 days of 4 devices for $35 each week.  Maybe it was some kind of deal they offer on certain cruises.

Had you booked with the Plus or Premier package? If so, the package would have included one device at a time per person and an upgrade to 4 devices by one person would cost $35/week pre-cruise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, caribill said:

What Princess promises:

The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

MedallionNet Wi-Fi is fast, reliable and wherever you are. Stream your favorite shows, movies, music and sports. Stay connected to the internet anywhere on board so you can text, post photos, video chat and more.

You know that's not true though 

12 hours ago, caribill said:

What Princess promises:

The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

Ahhh... The "reality" of Marketing. Promise anything... Why not?  It's not like Marketing has to actually implement the promises.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporations-medallionnet-to-set-industry-apex-for-wi-fi-bandwidth-capacity-at-sea-powered-by-ses-networks-300603933.html

"With MedallionNet, the best Wi-Fi at sea, the extraordinary experience of a cruise vacation is further enhanced by superior connectivity and coverage – providing our guests who want to stay connected with a connectivity experience that equals or exceeds what they experience on land," said John Padgett, chief experience and innovation officer for Carnival Corporation. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, billco said:

"With MedallionNet, the best Wi-Fi at sea, the extraordinary experience of a cruise vacation is further enhanced by superior connectivity and coverage – providing our guests who want to stay connected with a connectivity experience that equals or exceeds what they experience on land," said John Padgett, chief experience and innovation officer for Carnival Corporation. 

Yep. JP is a typical marketing person. Full of fabulous promises that are nothing but pure hype.

• Like 1