is Celebration tooooooooo big?

havanadaydreaming

The newer ships may be bigger, but they have significantly less common area space per passenger than the older, smaller ships.  We were on the Horizon last fall, and although there were quite a number of unsold cabins, it felt very cramped to us.

The smaller ships might not have as many amenities, but we love that there is more room to spread out.

Edited by staceyglow

Have you seen RCI Icon of the Seas... Massive ship, 250,000 gross tons, 1,200 feet long, 20 decks, 7,600 passengers and 2,350 crew that's 9,950 max capacity. I can only imagine 8000+ people trying to get on or off in port... 

• Haha 1

I found this list of space ratio per passenger on Carnival ships. As I suspected, the Spirit Class, my favorite, is the highest:

• 41.7 – Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle)
  • 37.6 – Carnival Splendor
  • 36.9 – Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Freedom, Valor, and Liberty)
  • 35.6 – Carnival Dream
  • 35.2 – Carnival Magic and Breeze
  • 34.3 – Fantasy class ships (Ecstasy, Sensation, Elation, and Paradise)
  • 34.3 – Carnival Sunshine
  • 34.1 – Mardi Gras, Carnival Radiance
  • 34 – Carnival Sunrise
  • 33.9 – Vista class ships (Horizon, Vista, and Panorama)

Here is a link to the entire article: https://cruisefever.net/0831-which-carnival-cruise-ships-have-the-most-space-ratio-per-passenger/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caps_Shield said:

I was on a full Mardi Gras this past summer and it was fine.  You'll be amazed how the crowds spread out.

I agree - we have been on Mardi Gras at 50% capacity and have been on it at spring break when we were over capacity and it was fine both times.  The first time, there were not many passengers, but because of that several venues were hardly open (some of the bars had really limited hours, if they were open at all).  At least 50% of the buffet was shut down.  The didn't use half of the dining room.  At full capacity all of these were open and it was fine.

I also worried about embarkation/debarkation with so many people but it was fine. 

We enjoyed Mardi Gras so much that we are booked for Celebration in January and Jubilee Dec. 2023.

2 hours ago, Matco said:

Have you seen RCI Icon of the Seas... Massive ship, 250,000 gross tons, 1,200 feet long, 20 decks, 7,600 passengers and 2,350 crew that's 9,950 max capacity. I can only imagine 8000+ people trying to get on or off in port... 

It'll be fine on Dodge Island or whatever its home port is. And ports like Nassau will adapt. But tender ports will be extinct before long. There's no way you can tender that many guests efficiently.

We were on the Mardi Gras and didn't feel crowded, but the ship was bigger than we like. Not saying we won't sail that class again, but gotta say we're looking forward to our upcoming Celebrity cruise with  half the passengers.

The Dream class is still my favorite Carnival class. 

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Glad to hear that. We are booked on her for June from NY.🙂

Have you ever sailed on her before? She is a stunning ship. However, not a ship I recommend if you like lots of outdoor promenade space (no wrap around promenade). It can feel somewhat inward facing as a result. But, if you are like DW and I and go for a balcony (balcony cabins on this ship are quite nice) at a minimum, you will likely enjoy. 

I cannot recall what they replaced the cirque style shows with in the carousel lounge, but I do know that something has replaced them.

If you are a spa person, DW feels the Meraviglia class (and seaside class fwiw) have the best shipboard spas and thermal suites she has been in. 

People absolutely hate change. I'm a believer many people who "hate the big ships" either just aren't used to it or are regurgitating the lines they hear from those people. Y

Sure, you may not want to ride a roller coaster, but then I better not see you enjoying yourself at Brass Magnolia or enjoying a Shaq's Chicken Sandwich. People act like a larger ship means you're scaling Mt Everest vs a hill. How many vacations are people going on that has most of their food and entertainment closer than even the largest ships? 

Still, I get it, it isn't for everyone. Some people don't want to have fun (I'm not trying to be rude when I say that). As with everything in life, there are pros and cons. Not just the cons many people on here love to point out. Personally, I'd rather take a vacation where there was so much to do that I didn't get to do it all (and want to return) vs sitting around bored. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I found this list of space ratio per passenger on Carnival ships. As I suspected, the Spirit Class, my favorite, is the highest:

• 41.7 – Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle)
  • 37.6 – Carnival Splendor
  • 36.9 – Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Freedom, Valor, and Liberty)
  • 35.6 – Carnival Dream
  • 35.2 – Carnival Magic and Breeze
  • 34.3 – Fantasy class ships (Ecstasy, Sensation, Elation, and Paradise)
  • 34.3 – Carnival Sunshine
  • 34.1 – Mardi Gras, Carnival Radiance
  • 34 – Carnival Sunrise
  • 33.9 – Vista class ships (Horizon, Vista, and Panorama)

Here is a link to the entire article: https://cruisefever.net/0831-which-carnival-cruise-ships-have-the-most-space-ratio-per-passenger/

Interesting.  I would not have guessed that for Vista class.  We love that class.  Never felt crowded like other classes. 

I think the key for the bigger ships is cabin location.  We had a forward facing cabin on MG and it seemed like everything was a long distance.  Next time in MG and we were near elevators and it felt like a totally different experience with everything super easy to get to.  Most ships it doesn’t matter but for excel, choose cabin wisely. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

It'll be fine on Dodge Island or whatever its home port is. And ports like Nassau will adapt. But tender ports will be extinct before long. There's no way you can tender that many guests efficiently.

You're right. If all the ships get too big there won't be any tender ports left.  Royal doesn't have any tender ports for any of the Oasis class so you can bet there won't be any on the icon.

5 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

You're right. If all the ships get too big there won't be any tender ports left.  Royal doesn't have any tender ports for any of the Oasis class so you can bet there won't be any on the icon.

I dont think Excel class can tender either.

10 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

oasis class design to me appears too inward facing. I like to feel like I am on a ship, and be able to easily look out and see the ocean. not sure if I would venture on a split superstructure ship for this very reason, but never say never 😂

I read that a lot so you definitely aren't alone in that thinking.

We used to stay in the boardwalk cabins all the way aft. You had a view of the boardwalk but also the ocean.

Then they went and ruined that by adding the water slides to all but the Allure which we just got off of.

The only reason Allure doesn't have the slides is because covid canceled her drydock which would have added the waterslides I believe.

When we cruise on the Oasis ships now we stay in the Central Park cabins. Nice and tranquil but as you said, no view of the ocean. We still enjoy ourselves.😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

like it or not, this is the modern cruise industry. Unless you go with Viking, Azamara, or Oceania, what you see is what you are now going to get. Even Holland America's new ships are almost twice the size as the smallest and oldest ones that were decommissioned in the last few years (99,000 GRT vs 50,000ish GRT) Hell, Princess has a 175,000 GRT ship on order, and several in the fleet right now that are the same size as a Breakaway or Voyager class.

Norwegian's newest ships, the Prime and Viva are only in the 3,000+ passenger range.

12 hours ago, Matco said:

...and, if it's a tender port = 😖

Same as Mardi Gras. But they did realize there were not enough dining options to thin out the herds. That is why Pig and Anchor, ChiBang, and Cucina are included. There is more than enough space to spread out. We will have Embarkation, 2-sea days, 3-port days, 2-sea days, and debarkation. Plenty of time for us to enjoy what the ship has to offer.

I have always been a fan of the "smaller" ships - conquest class, dream class especially.  I swore I would never go on a "larger" ship.  I went on Horizon in February, when she was only 60% capacity.  Stayed in Havana aft wrap.  Loved it - except when I went into the public areas such as Lido deck area.  Even at 60% it felt crowded to me.  I will stick to the smaller ships for now.  Don't need the bells and whistles of the larger ships, and ship decor or dining options are not tops on my list, either.  Just give me my balcony and I am a happy cruiser.😀

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

...and, if it's a tender port = 😖

Royal Caribbean will never have their big mega ships tender. they will always dock

The biggest thing cruise lines can do to make getting off and on the ship in ports and on embarkation/debarkation quicker is using multiple gangways in different areas of the ship. I recently went on a NCL cruise and for embarkation and debarkation they had one gangway in the aft part of the ship and one in the forward part of the ship. it makes getting off and on the ship a big easier

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hard_eight said:

Booked on Celebration Jan 8th. Honestly I'm a lil concerned about that. My favorite class is the Fantasy class, the Glory and Magic give me some anxiety with ALL the hoomans but, looking forward to it!

I also book the same sailing. One of the good things about sailing during that time is a lot of people have returned to work in school after the holiday so hopefully it is not at maximum capacity

11 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Interesting.  I would not have guessed that for Vista class.  We love that class.  Never felt crowded like other classes. 

Tons per passenger only tells part of the story. A smaller ship like the Ecstasy may technically have more tons per guest, but only have two or three lounges for passengers to go to in the evening, whereas the Horizon may have three times that amount. So even though it holds more guests there are more choices for what the guests do so they are spread out more.