Snacks

Ellencruise

41 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

It’s been a while since cruising. Embarking this Saturday. Can I bring snacks?

Sure - lots of people do.  Beverages are a problem though - so review HAL's policy closely on their website.

3 minutes ago, ski ww said:
  • Don't know why you would have to bring your own snacks, there are lots in the Lido.

I wondered how long it was going to take for someone to feel the need to say this.  I bring things like pretzels and granola bars.  Where can I get those?  I don’t want  fries, ice cream, big buns filled with whipped cream.  I can’t eat like that.  Besides I don’t like the lido.  If people want to bring snacks what is the issue? Saves hal money.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ski ww said:
  • Don't know why you would have to bring your own snacks, there are lots in the Lido.

I don't think I would for a 7 or 14 day trip but on our longer vacations I do start to miss my go to treats from home and pick something up along the way. Unfortunately, Mountain Dew can be a challenge to find outside the US😔

BYO snacks are fine but we consider the lido deck our personal snack bar......LOL...Lots of stuff....just got me thinking.....

potato chips

nachos

cheese

celery

tomatoes

carrots

salad

bread

ice cream

french fries

pizza

wings

sandwiches

cold cuts

pies

custards

BREAD PUDDING!

burgers

hot dogs

nuts

popcorn

And if Dutch Cafe, lots of stuff including PEA SOUP (afternoon snack...LOL)

Oh my....lots more for certain.....Enjoy that granola bar and bring it on board!.....We board snack-less and snack-onboard!

Fun times! Love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Before a cruise I always make sure that I buy two of Mrs. XBGuy's favorites-a big package of Peanut Butter M&Ms and a bottle of her favorite ranch dressing.  No, we don't take the ranch dressing with us to dinner.  One of our favorite afternoon noshes on the balcony with wine is raw vegetables.  She usually does not like the dressings for dipping that come from room service or the buffet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

BYO snacks are fine but we consider the lido deck our personal snack bar......LOL...Lots of stuff....just got me thinking.....

potato chips

nachos

cheese

celery

tomatoes

carrots

salad

bread

ice cream

french fries

pizza

wings

sandwiches

cold cuts

pies

custards

BREAD PUDDING!

burgers

hot dogs

nuts

popcorn

And if Dutch Cafe, lots of stuff including PEA SOUP (afternoon snack...LOL)

Oh my....lots more for certain.....Enjoy that granola bar and bring it on board!.....We board snack-less and snack-onboard!

Fun times! Love it!

Which of those items can be taken ashore?  I don’t know why this bothers people so much.  Just another reason for a put down clearly.

• Like 1

I also get weary of the "plenty of food on the ship" comment. 

I used to mention also this way back when Rum Runners and booze smuggling used to be a hot topic. 

It's not always about saving $$,  or the availability of food,  it's about convenience. 

I may be just back from a shore excursion, relaxing on my balcony in casual clothes, getting dressed for dinner,  getting ready for a shower...

There are many reasons I may not want to venture out to the Lido (or a bar) at any given time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I don't think I would for a 7 or 14 day trip but on our longer vacations I do start to miss my go to treats from home and pick something up along the way. Unfortunately, Mountain Dew can be a challenge to find outside the US😔

I have the same issue with my Dr Pepper.  Carnival switched to Pepsi products, no longer carry a suitable alternative.  HAL does have Coke products & I can sometimes get the inferior Mr Pibb.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

I have the same issue with my Dr Pepper.  Carnival switched to Pepsi products, no longer carry a suitable alternative.  HAL does have Coke products & I can sometimes get the inferior Mr Pibb.

The Struggle is Real… – justsomegoodthoughts

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Yes when I am addicted to a certain thing that is unavailable on the ship.  The struggle is real.  LOL

I'm right there with you. I compare it to a coffee drinker being told there will be no coffee available onboard the ship but you can have tea. It's just not the same!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Unfortunately, Mountain Dew can be a challenge to find outside the US😔

I even had a tough time finding Mountain Dew in Hawaii. It wasn't until our last island that I was able to purchase a couple of cans. Of course, I had to consume them immediately because bringing them back on the ship wasn't allowed. I used to bring a good supply of Mountain Dew on the ship each cruise; now I have to suffer with Coke. 😞 

4 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I even had a tough time finding Mountain Dew in Hawaii. It wasn't until our last island that I was able to purchase a couple of cans. Of course, I had to consume them immediately because bringing them back on the ship wasn't allowed. I used to bring a good supply of Mountain Dew on the ship each cruise; now I have to suffer with Coke. 😞 

Coming back onto ship last fall at San Juan I had 2 cans in my purse and the gentleman manning the scanner just looked at me, smiled and waved me thru. It was a good day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I also get weary of the "plenty of food on the ship" comment. 

I used to mention also this way back when Rum Runners and booze smuggling used to be a hot topic. 

It's not always about saving $$,  or the availability of food,  it's about convenience.

Sometimes it is WAY more than just convenience or personal preference. Consider a person with diabetes suffering from an unexpected low blood sugar situation. Grabbing a bite is life-essential in that case. As a diabetic, I ALWAYS carry a chewy bar. The wrapping is pretty solid, and it fits in my pocket at all times.

I have never found a chewy bar on board, though it bothers me as a cheapskate to bring my own food to a place brimming over with great food. Still, my pocket chewy bar has sometimes saved my life. Snacks can be essential.

Please, fellow diabetics, no lectures about carrying glucose tablets...

• Like 3

Thanks for reminding us to bring small snacks for shore excursions.   I remember a few times wishing we had something.   Sometimes when we get hungry we head up to the Lido and it is not open.   If we are lucky we are in a NS or have the Grand Dutch option but that doesn't always happen.   I guess there is room service cookies but by the time they come it may be dinner time.   

I too am a Pepsi product fan.   I miss my Diet Pepsi and Mtn. Dew.  First long HA cruise I took we stopped at Puerta Vallarta first.  I traipsed across the road to Walmart and brought back 4 8 packs of DP.  Sadly we can't do that.   I am now on no caffeine but I am planning to bring on a bunch of Starbucks Via Decaf packs so I can get the strong coffee I crave.   Great topic! 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 2

I am so confused about the issue of bringing soda on board. I have read the Holland FAQs that say absolutely no alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (soda, energy drinks, etc) may be brought onboard. The confusion rests with DH and I seeing passengers already on board at embarkation with cases and six-packs of soda with them. Most recently on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Oct., but also on the Rotterdam last Feb. and March. DH asked at embarkation in Oct. if we could bring soda on board with us and and he said yes. So, which is it???

• Thanks 1