Shorts in MDR

FLCruZar

20 hours ago, billslowsky said:

LOL

Churches emptied in the 1970s due to harassment of teens who weren't dressed to others' preferences.  They never came back.

I look good in shorts, suits, whatever.  My wife looks good without make up.

I agree.  Thank you for putting it that way.  Sorry if I came off holyier than thou.  It was not a critism of others simply sharing my thoughts.  Unfortunately this old face needs make-up, though my DH might beg to differ - again, it is about me not what others what to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Yes I gathered that reading some posts 🙂.  Should be interesting when we are in the Retreat on the Beyond next year at Luminae.  I may share some pills with the pearl clutchers.  

I actually joined CC because of Celebrity. I had sailed mainly on Royal before but had booked my first Celebrity cruise and found CC to find out what it would be like.  (yes, pretty a$$ backwards on my part). Reading the dress code and other threads on the Celebrity CC board made me wonder ; "What the heck did I just do?" Luckily the actual real people on the Celebrity cruise were great. No 'pearl clutchers' in site. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise on Beyond next year.

(but pack the Xanax just in case. 😉)

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I actually joined CC because of Celebrity. I had sailed mainly on Royal before but had booked my first Celebrity cruise and found CC to find out what it would be like.  (yes, pretty a$$ backwards on my part). Reading the dress code and other threads on the Celebrity CC board made me wonder ; "What the heck did I just do?" Luckily the actual real people on the Celebrity cruise were great. No 'pearl clutchers' in site. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise on Beyond next year.

Agreed.  Truthfully I never encountered dress code enforcers on Celebrity.  Just on Cruise critic.  We always sailed the Summit and loved it.  The San Juan itineraries were always imo more relaxed as we were all tired from those port intensive cruises and not in the mood to pull out the ballgown and tux.  We did have the Tuscan grille clothes and Sushi on 5 but even that was a one night because we would be nodding off by 8 in the restaurant.  Most of the people we encountered on Celebrity were not obsessed wirh clothes at dinner.  

Edited to add we never in 5 Summit cruises ate in the MDR.  We stuck with the Oceanview and specialty dining for maybe 2 nights.   So I have no idea if staff enforces or doesn't.  Same goes for Royal.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

+1👍

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Now Celebrity is a different story. I always wear pants at any restaurant on their ships. I cruise on Celebrity 2-3 times a year. Every cruise I see multiple people turned away from the MDR for some kind of dress code violation. 

So have I - it's almost always because someone has shorts on in the MDR for dinner or during some special events such as wine tasting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Agreed.  Truthfully I never encountered dress code enforcers on Celebrity.  Just on Cruise critic.  We always sailed the Summit and loved it.  The San Juan itineraries were always imo more relaxed as we were all tired from those port intensive cruises and not in the mood to pull out the ballgown and tux.  We did have the Tuscan grille clothes and Sushi on 5 but even that was a one night because we would be nodding off by 8 in the restaurant.  Most of the people we encountered on Celebrity were not obsessed wirh clothes at dinner.  

Edited to add we never in 5 Summit cruises ate in the MDR.  We stuck with the Oceanview and specialty dining for maybe 2 nights.   So I have no idea if staff enforces or doesn't.  Same goes for Royal.

There was a recent post on Celebrity Cruises thread here on CC about a passenger who purchased a t-shirt, took a pen/marker and wrote "Celebrity Sucks" on it and paid to get off the ship at the next port because he was denied entry to the dining room in short pants.    

6 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I started reading the Celebrity board after we booked our first Celebrity cruise back in 2012.   The fashion police on Celebrity can be quite vicious😂

Sherri 🙂

12 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Will also be in the Retreat on Edge next year for the first time.  Unsure of whether the fashion police in suites are even more obsessed about what their fellow passengers are wearing.  One of the reasons I still like Royal is that it is more of a relaxed approach to cruising.

I find Celebrity cruises way more relaxing than RCI cruises, which is why I cruise on Celebrity 2-3 times a year. I still prefer everything happening on RCI ships, which is why I still cruise on RCI way more often than Celebrity. But once in awhile it’s nice to go on Celebrity for a much more laid back, relaxing cruise. The dress code on Celebrity doesn’t bother me at all, so that has no impact on my cruises on Celebrity. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 7:27 AM, happy cruzer said:

The dress code changed.  Don't have to like it, but it has changed.  What is surprising is how many people do dress up on the cruise.  In my experience many dress much nicer than what we see at restaurants in our local area. 

This thread has made me so happy! I've been waiting for RCL to finally drop their insane dress code, requiring pants in their dining rooms. I can finally convince my husband to try RCL. As a little background, we never dress up, because we have to when we work. Neither of us want to wear a button up shirt, pants, or sneakers when we're on vacation. Vacation was made for flippie floppies, t-shirts, and shorts. Despite this, I would still try RCL. He refused and I can't really blame him. Now he can't argue with me. 🙂

On 11/14/2022 at 7:39 AM, 4774Papa said:

I remember when I was a kid in the 50s, even when we went to the Dairy Queen, my dad would wear his coat and tie and mom dressed nice.   Clearly that is not the culture today.

We don't dress up anywhere we go. If a restaurant requires us to dress, then we simply don't go. Unlike many, we don't want the staff to have an awkward interaction refusing entry to someone. We'll follow the rules by not attending, but we've never been denied to any restaurant on land in our t-shirts, flippie floppies, and sneakers (land-based or cruise ship). And yes, we go to nice restaurants. We are extremely happy the culture is not as it was in the 50's for more important reasons than just a dress code. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, graciekelli said:

I have been married to the best husband in the world for 36 years.  We love dressing up for each other for  "date night".  Neither of us would be caught dead going to a nice resturant in clothing that was made for the pool side.  Also, we brush our teeth, comb our hair and I put make-up on.  I want my DH to feel good walking by my side.  By the way, we also raised our 5 kids (all grown now) that there is a place to dress down and it's not at a nice resturant, weddings or church.  

No make-up here! I do trim my beard every now and then though. My husband shaves once every couple months too. I just want my husband next to me, preferably not dressed up. I'm glad RCL is giving us the opportunity to try out a RCL cruise now. I suppose I just need to start searching and book. YEEEEEEHA!!! 

If you couldn't tell, I am so absolutely beyond delighted, thrilled, etc. to find another cruise line for us! 

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

If my pants are made out of clear PVC vinyl, is that considered OK?

I would post photos but can't afford another ban here.

you know, there are a lot of people that don't look good no matter what they wear

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Typo

I am new to CC however, I am in the camp where adult men should wear long slacks in the evening except for buffet. Having said that we go to some real nice high end places all over the US where basically anything goes. Men and women.

The children -kids 12 and under, I assume that they can wear shorts and nice t shirts to MDR with low/no risk of flak. I am more concerned with their behavior;  kind of wild boys.

I do not want the buffett or room service  for most of the cruise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickey S said:

I am new to CC however, I am in the camp where adult men should wear long slacks in the evening except for buffet. Having said that we go to some real nice high end places all over the US where basically anything goes. Men and women.

The children -kids 12 and under, I assume that they can wear shorts and nice t shirts to MDR with low/no risk of flak. I am more concerned with their behavior;  kind of wild boys.

As others have said, you do you, we'll do us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mickey S said:

Welcome to CC. And we also would be sitting in the same area of the MDR. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Have you ever been to an actual luxury resort? Restaurant? Anything? You'll notice that when you pay a lot of money (think $2,000 + a night), you don't dress up. My idea of shorts, flippie floppies, and t-shirt comes from this thought. If I'm on vacation, I ain't dressing up. I'm also paying for quality, not Applebee's. 

Royal Caribbean is meeting their customers where the customer wants to be. If Royal Caribbean is downgrading the experience, it's because customers aren't paying enough (not what they're wearing). 

First, I was being sarcastic.  Second, we usually don't stay a High end resorts.  We have a beach house in Cabo, so when we travel, we are never at the hotel, always out seeing the sites, not laying by the pool or at the beach.  However, we do go to high end resorts in Cabo a 3 or 4 times a year for dinners, and many of them require long pants for men.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

First, I was being sarcastic.  Second, we usually don't stay a High end resorts.  We have a beach house in Cabo, so when we travel, we are never at the hotel, always out seeing the sites, not laying by the pool or at the beach.  However, we do go to high end resorts in Cabo a 3 or 4 times a year for dinners, and many of them require long pants for men.

I remember being in one of sandals better restaurants that didn’t allow jeans and listening to someone complain that they were designer jeans 😁, he didn’t win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, George C said:

Not a issue for us , we eat in CK or specialty restaurants, service is better , food is better and in general adults dress like adults.

Please define how an adult dresses? I have been on 12 RCI cruises so far this year with 3 more booked. On every cruise except one, we bought the UDP and ate dinner every night in a speciality restaurant. Every night without exception on every ship (Adventure, Mariner, Odyssey, Freedom, Harmony and Independence) there were plenty of people wearing shorts (nicer shorts, not gym shorts). What I don’t know is if shorts falls into your definition of how an adult dresses. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've had very unimpressive food with a suit on before. I've had fantastic food with shorts and a t-shirt on.

Clothing doesn't dictate food quality. Just it makes people feel special.

I have to disagree with you there. I was fortunate enough to be on a tour of the kitchen during dinner. At one point a waiter came in and said the people at table 568 are wearing shorts, so I need the downgraded food for their table. 🙂

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have to disagree with you there. I was fortunate enough to be on a tour of the kitchen during dinner. At one point a waiter came in and said the people at table 568 are wearing shorts, so I need the downgraded food for their table. 🙂

Strikes me a bit unusual, I have never heard of a tour of kitchen during main dining room hours. Almost all of the tours I have taken or offered were from 11am to about 2pm when they might have shown meals during preparation but not final serving.

Which ship and at what time was this dinner tour offered? I would like to go on it just to listen to the commentary that a staff waiter would say such a thing in front of cruise guests.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Please define how an adult dresses? I have been on 12 RCI cruises so far this year with 3 more booked. On every cruise except one, we bought the UDP and ate dinner every night in a speciality restaurant. Every night without exception on every ship (Adventure, Mariner, Odyssey, Freedom, Harmony and Independence) there were plenty of people wearing shorts (nicer shorts, not gym shorts). What I don’t know is if shorts falls into your definition of how an adult dresses. 

Baseball caps I don’t consider adult , even worse if there worn backwards, you already said gym shorts, tank tops etc . Not that long ago anyone dressed like that had to eat in windjammer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, Ret MP said:

So, I guess my Kilt with Tailed Tuxedo Jacket and 15 dozen military ribbons is just fine!  ☺️  OR:

?width=368&version=1508888

I tried to be witty and respond earlier @Ret MPbut my humor must not have been appreciated by the monitor of the site 😁. 😩😭 I am on two strike-outs tonight. Maybe time to give it a rest.

• Haha 1