Laundry Question

rollie

20 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

If we have the ship do our laundry, can we request cold water wash/low temp dry?  Or should we just assume everything we put in the laundry bag is going to be washed in one load with warm water/high heat dry? 

We are on Viking Sea at the moment. We have requested “Cold water wash. Hang to dry, please”. All great so far 😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

If we have the ship do our laundry, can we request cold water wash/low temp dry?  Or should we just assume everything we put in the laundry bag is going to be washed in one load with warm water/high heat dry? 

They do use the smaller machine for pax laundry, but the capacity is still substantial, sorry it's been 2-years since we did the tour and can't recall the actual number.

Your items are washed with others; however, we found the laundry staff extremely responsive to any specific requests. If unable to comply, or unsure, we received a call from the laundry supervisor to clarify.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

I really would like to see folks quit using the word "free" - there is no such thing.

I would disagree, we are all "free" to express our opinions here in a respectful manner. 😉

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Yes—“free” self-service. No charge for the machines/detergent in the laundrettes.

And pressing is included in the benefits of a PV1.  When we upgraded once, we had everything pressed but our socks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

And pressing is included in the benefits of a PV1.  When we upgraded once, we had everything pressed but our socks! 

We had laundry included on one of our trips and the socks (and everything else!) came back presses!  Strange experience to have pressed underwear.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

We had laundry included on one of our trips and the socks (and everything else!) came back presses!  Strange experience to have pressed underwear.

Is that when you know you’re on a true “luxury” line? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, M.Travels said:

- Always keep your "receipts," and it is nice to keep them in the same place and let the room steward know where they are too. If there is an issue they can sometimes solve it without involving you by checking the original copy of the receipt.

- If you are wondering about how to describe an item them you should use more than one word ... the laundry folks are probably not native speakers of your language, and more than once they were confused about the words we used to describe things. That was on us.

By the end of the cruise we simply asked our room steward what she would call something and then used that word.

The most confusing item was a "buff" - one of those long, circular neck things that we found INVALUABLE for Alaska as they can easily convert from a neck warmer to ear cover to hair tie to many other uses. We described this as a "scarf" and the laundry described it as a "bra" and chaos followed!

Great tips, thanks for posting! 

The “no extra charge” DIY laundry is in the middle of the ship on decks 4,5, and ? (there is at least one more, I think it is 3 but it could be 6). It is on the starboard side and there are three larger-than-average washers and dryers in there. Supplies are provided, and there is also an ironing board available for general use as well as a small couch, television, and remote if you want to entertain yourself while you wait. 

But most people did not wait … they left their clothes and came back right when the machines were done. It’s Viking so no one needs to steal your clothes, and the machine will tell you how many minutes until it is done with the cycle so you can set an alarm on your phone and come back. 

If you come back later you might find someone has removed your clothes and put it in a provided laundry basket. This happened to us once, we were really enjoying talking to someone and came back about five minutes after the cycle was done and someone had put our stuff in a basket and put it on the couch. 

• Like 1

I was late once and someone took all my underwear!

I was NOT late another time and someone took my very damp clothes out of the drier because HER wash cycle WAS finished.  Another time someone shrieked at me because I was putting a second load into the machine after I took out the first.

I just have bad luck....We once had the room across from the laundry and I was very nervous about the noise....GREAT room...no noise and quick access to laundry ( I even went in my robe once)!

BUT once I had a cameo spot in "Cruising with Jane McDonald" ( British TV) on the SKY when she was doing a review!

1 hour ago, deec said:

I was NOT late another time and someone took my very damp clothes out of the drier because HER wash cycle WAS finished.  Another time someone shrieked at me because I was putting a second load into the machine after I took out the first.

I just have bad luck....We once had the room across from the laundry and I was very nervous about the noise....GREAT room...no noise and quick access to laundry ( I even went in my robe once)!

BUT once I had a cameo spot in "Cruising with Jane McDonald" ( British TV) on the SKY when she was doing a review!

I remember that episode - sure it’ll be repeated here & I’ll look out for you. I recall the scene in the laundry room.😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, M.Travels said:

The “no extra charge” DIY laundry is in the middle of the ship on decks 4,5, and ? (there is at least one more, I think it is 3 but it could be 6). It is on the starboard side and there are three larger-than-average washers and dryers in there.

Not a sailor, but I believe it’s port side not starboard. And it’s on 3, 4, 5, & 6. Enjoy!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, M.Travels said:

The “no extra charge” DIY laundry is in the middle of the ship on decks 4,5, and ? (there is at least one more, I think it is 3 but it could be 6). It is on the starboard side and there are three larger-than-average washers and dryers in there.

\Having been on multiple Viking ocean cruises, I can confidently state:

- Washers/Dryers are on the Port Side

- There are 4 of them in each set up

- They are on Decks 3, 4, 5, 6

- Deck 3 is usually least crowded, deck 6 the most (since it supports 7 and 8 as well)

Note; sometimes one or more of the washers and/or dryers are down for maintenance!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, deec said:

I do remember seeing that Cameo as well!  Great job!

Season 2, Episode 1, The Baltic on Viking Sky

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7311382/?ref_=ttep_ep1

available to watch on BritBox, or Amazon Prime BritBox

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

\Having been on multiple Viking ocean cruises, I can confidently state:

- Washers/Dryers are on the Port Side

- There are 4 of them in each set up

- They are on Decks 3, 4, 5, 6

- Deck 3 is usually least crowded, deck 6 the most (since it supports 7 and 8 as well)

Note; sometimes one or more of the washers and/or dryers are down for maintenance!

I seem to recall that some poster has stated that they have replaced some of the older machines on at least one ship (Sea?) with combination washer/dryers. As a result of the poor drying capability, there is a shortage of dryers on other decks.

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I seem to recall that some poster has stated that they have replaced some of the older machines on at least one ship (Sea?) with combination washer/dryers. As a result of the poor drying capability, there is a shortage of dryers on other decks.

Maybe that is the discrepancy, because we sailed on the Viking Sea in December and our deck had three large, combination washer/dryer units (not four). 

Do they still put stickers on the garments for identification purposes?  We used the included laundry services on a Northern Lights cruise about 3 years ago and still have these super sticky labels on several items.  They are very irritating to me.

I ruined one shirt trying to pull the label off.  It eventually came off while leaving a hole in the shirt - pulled the fabric off also.  

17 minutes ago, mwike said:

Do they still put stickers on the garments for identification purposes?  We used the included laundry services on a Northern Lights cruise about 3 years ago and still have these super sticky labels on several items.  They are very irritating to me.

I ruined one shirt trying to pull the label off.  It eventually came off while leaving a hole in the shirt - pulled the fabric off also.  

Try using an Iron or hairdryer to heat them up, softens the glue.

One of my shirts came back from the laundry with a new sticker over the pre covid one. Took them off to discover a third under both. Best plan may be to book the same room next time

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, mwike said:

We still have numerous cabin 4000 labels from the 2020 World Cruise and even 1 or 2 remaining from our 2015 World Cruise. Unless they fall off, we don't remove them, as they are ironed on with strong adhesive.

Every ship I worked on, or have cruised as a pax uses the same system, since I went to sea in 1975. If the tags are an issue, the self-service machines are a better option.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, millybess said:

We are on Viking Sea at the moment. We have requested “Cold water wash. Hang to dry, please”. All great so far 😊

So having said this the other day, today I had a sweater come back from the laundry that had definitely been in the dryer. Yes, we’ve been here for 12 days now and I’ve grown, but not quite that much ☺️  Other than that, everything has been near perfect on this cruise. 👌

• Like 2

As has been mentioned, PV includes pressing and shoe shine. 

Might PV arrange for laundry for a fee?  If so, does anyone know the fees?

Also, would one arrange this, if available, thru one’s Cabin Steward?

Thanks. 

All V, DV, and PV staterooms an send laundry out and pay for it.  In the morning you fill out a form, put the items in the provided bag, and leave it on the bed.  The cabin steward will take it to the laundry. 

I don't have the prices handy but it is less than most hotels we have stayed in.  Not cheap either.