The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday November 14th, 2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich. I love all of today's days, and my local BSA girls troop has a girl about to advance Wednesday.  I think there's a lot of sad truth to the Klein quote.  Cobh was my first modern HAL port in 2010 after an absence of 10 years, on a Rotterdam transatlantic. The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Pasta Genovese, and Pistachio Gelato. as served in Eurodam's Canaletto last nght:

dishes13.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP firefighter Andy
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot
Mister67 persistent hand injury
Terri’s next door neighbor with stroke and complications
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shouto

My new socks
Quartzite Cruiser feeling to start coming back (progress while painful
Ichiban Nekko settling into new house
Sandi’s neighbor Linda well enough to receive visitors
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house
6 days for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
5 days for StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
5 days for Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23)
CrazyForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/13), Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18),   Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19).  RednckBob (Beyond  to 11/20) and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for posting today's lists Roy.

It is worrying that @St. Louis Sal and @JAM37are not posting and I'm sure everyone hopes they are safe and well.

Graham 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another heavy frost this morning, but clear.  A crisp 33 F heading for 48.  We're enjoying this dry stretch!

I come from a family of 3 sisters, so I salute Girls' Day and Children's Day.  Will pass on the pickles, meal, drink and red wine though.  Never have been a fan of Mac & Cheese, and Sweet Potatoes with Mac & Cheese?  Just no...

We've been to Cobh twice, in 2014 on the Eurodam British Isles cruise,  and in 2019 on our 50th anniversary cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  In 2014 we took the train to Cork and went to Blarney Castle.  In 2019 our Captain was Noel O'Driscoll (who was our Captain on the NS again last month).  This is (near?) his home and the whole town came out to cheer the arrival of the ship!  On that visit we took the ferry out to Spike Island, or as our guide calls it, the "Irish Alcatraz".

Melissa @HAL SailerI'm sorry to hear your DH's confusion is worse with your change in location.  

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruisersorry about your DH's pain -- I hope it's short-lived.

Terry @smitty34877I hope the new aide will be a big help, I'm sorry you aren't doing well right now.

Linda @lindalerCongratulations to your son winning twice even against professional chefs!  

Some photos of our visit to Spike Island, the "Irish Alcatraz"

Entering the prison grounds

295789020_EnteringprisonSpikeIsland.jpg.61af7da006e9f921a1c67bdcbe432bee.jpg

Cell Block A, burnt in the 1985 riots.

456674994_CellBlockAburntin1985riots.jpg.12085b1d838ff4e0e4c0ac7c1342b250.jpg

The punishment block from the 1850's

851194382_PunishmentBlock1850s.jpg.a0c7e098287047021bd0a6fc2dd506d3.jpg

Solitary confinement cell

1965091906_solitaryconfinement.jpg.0bfb077bac98ecc10b4425cbf10a3472.jpg

View of our ship and Cobh from Spike Island

192407738_ourshipseenfromSpikeIsland.jpg.c61eed5832624b72345ba61ea30260cc.jpg

Love the colorful streets of Cobh

1719656019_Cobhstreet.jpg.11231d7950e290f1416e458386a3ac1d.jpg

342485967_Cobhchurch.jpg.f32129838a783aba43df95bb31b09626.jpg

These houses in the background going uphill are called The Deck of Cards.

412908855_DeckofcardshousesinCobh.thumb.jpg.b31e45518a56acb66f223cb96ff25f06.jpg

And a few of Blarney Castle from our visit in 2014.  We did not choose to kiss the stone 😉  

Blarney.thumb.jpg.1dda599e6a127c0e4efdbfe6e1b31d5e.jpg

1453762476_BlarneyCastle.jpg.9117e63027b1e3c10849f4c95af45537.jpg

Interesting photos Carolyn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd 

Today's Care List

Roy, please consider moving my DSIL to the Rotation list. Her  cancer therapy will be ongoing and her health issues will be with her the rest of her days.

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Considering the source of your new socks, I think we all need to see pictures! Do they say I ♥️ ARUBA?

-Melisa 

They are not that unusual.  The basis for everything in the store is that it's made in Aruba. 

I think the only real difference from US socks is the woven band at the top although I can't get the photo right side up.

IMG_0606.JPG.007db63823bf78f88b35403ee04a5694.JPG

Roy

• Like 18

I never made it to help Pat, I finally called her at 11,  and she had not arrived at Shari's yet.  I did walk the dog, and when I came back into my house, Donna drove into her driveway.  Sat in her car for awhile, and then took a suitcase, a back pack and her purse into the house.  Dog must have been surprised.

Irving made it to the vet, they no longer require masks, but the patients parents are no longer allowed into the examination rooms, the pet has to be their own advocate.  ????  Doc came out after the exam, and told us it might be, fill in the blank...but we wont know until the blood tests come back.  Should be sometime tomorrow,  So, so far this day has been great attempts with no results.

I think last night was a new record for waking up in the middle of the night,  2:15, 2:45, 4:15, 4:54, 5:15, 5:45, 6:10 and again at 6:54, heck I just got up.  I've been eating dill pickles, that's supposed to help with leg cramps, wearing socks, another tip, and so tonight, I will try the bar of soap by my feet.  With the socks,  pickles, and lots of water.  

I'm dead tired, and just about to start work.  arghh. work until 8:30.  To inspire myself, I take the book of Ancient Greece and look at pictures when I am at the desk.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  I am very late because of a day of running around.  Nurse Practitioner and also a flu shot, a cholesterol and thyroid blood draw then a pedicure and then Walmart.   By the time I got home DF wanted to go somewhere for lunch.   It was Mexican and disappointing so we will cross that restaurant off our list.   Not a lot to choose from on a Monday.

DSIL has been keeping me posted on my DB.  Yesterday they suggested him going back to the hospital due to his continuing pain and a general rash all over him not reduced by Benadryl and then something higher strength.   I urged them to go back to hospital but he wanted to wait for the Infectious Disease doctor who is due today, not yet.   He was able to do 15 minutes of out of bed PT today and then since his brace slid down they allowed him do PT sitting in bed.   He told my sister to leave yesterday and no more visitors because he is so tired.   I asked DSIL if he feels like me visiting tomorrow.   His WBC count is up and he is off antibiotics.   

Prayers for all on our care list and a shout out to all on cruises!  Thanks for the photos of Cobh, it looks like a beautiful port.  @HAL Sailer and @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope your husbands do better soon.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine.    Have a nice day.   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

54 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

They are not that unusual.  The basis for everything in the store is that it's made in Aruba. 

I think the only real difference from US socks is the woven band at the top although I can't get the photo right side up.

IMG_0606.JPG.007db63823bf78f88b35403ee04a5694.JPG

Roy

@rafinmd ⬆️Those are lovely, elegant socks -- very appropriate for you, I'm sure. So glad you've not been forced to sport these:

Screenshot_20221114-154150.thumb.png.b913eb07a33a1caeb05c3007c5723abf.png

-Melisa

• Like 3
  • Haha 20

Good afternoon from a cold and rainy central Texas.  Today, I was going to stay home and catch up on many things since it was going to be raining.  About 7:30 DH called, and said the lens had popped out of the glasses frame.  He needed my to bring him the two spare pairs at home, and didn't think he could wait until tomorrow.  One of the nursing techs got the lens popped back in.  I was just going to drop the glasses and the repair kit for the glasses off and head home, when the therapist came in for OT.  Today it was a shower, so while he was in the shower, I gave him a much needed haircut.  The last one was in early October.  

They are giving him a pain pill and a muscle relaxer, which is helping with the leg pain.  We're pretty sure it is the nerves coming back, but it will take some time.  They still haven't figured out what is causing his BP to drop drastically after he sits up for 15 to 30 minutes.  They are not giving him any of the blood pressure meds, and it is till happening.  It got extremely low, but then began coming back up before they got him back in bed this morning.  This is what they sent him to the hospital for last week.  However, once they found the blood clot and got that problem solved, they sent him back to rehab.  Not only is the BP drop concerning, it is interfering with his being able to have much PT.  He just texted that he is going to try the 3 pm PT.  Even a little PT is better than none.

Now, I'm playing catchup with all I wanted and needed to do today.  I'll get some of it done, but housecleaning will have to wait.  With just me here, and being gone several nights and most days, it just needs a light cleaning.

With two wonderful daughters, I will celebrate Girls Day and Children's Day.  DH can celebrate pickle day.

Today's quote is just weird.

I like mac and cheese, and bacon added sounds nice, just please hold the sweet potatoes.  I'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

We have been to Cobh several times, and I'll repost my pictures in a few minutes.

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning. It was a chilly start to the day here and I will need a warmer jacket soon.I salute the children and girls but never cared for pickles.I would love to go to the port as my grandmother was from Cork. I often think if her traveling across the ocean at age 18.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I was sorry to hear about Steve's  sudden increase in pain and hope things are better today.It certainly has been a long road for both of you.

@MISTER 67, a similar day was spent here with what looked like exciting games to watch.

I am waiting for a new aide to arrive and hope things go well. It has been difficult  to manage the physical side of Tana's care as I am not in the best of shape at present.

Have a great day everyone. 

Terry, I'm sorry you are not in the best shape and I hope things improve for you.  I also hope the new aide works out well.  Thanks for the good wishes.  We know we've got a long road ahead.

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Brr!  33F this morning but sunny and a high of 55F expected.  Before we leave this week DH has to sign up with our new insurance company.  He would have done it last week but due to Nicole passing by the insurance companies stop issuing new policies until the storm is over with.  Then we have to sign up for a new Medicare Supplement plan and I'm glad to be DONE with this year's plan.  We only changed because our hospital wasn't playing nicely with our previous company and they had an impasse.  Hopefully 2023 will be a good year and we won't need a hospital anyway.  Still waiting and praying our absentee ballots arrive in the mail before Thursday so we can vote in the Dec. 6 runoff.  I have a feeling it's not gonna happen!

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Love the girls and children days and they really do go together.  I like pickles.  I have to agree with @MISTER 67 , why sweet potato in our mac & cheese with bacon?  The quote is a bit uncomfortable.  After they build the monuments then years down the line some group demands they be torn down!  😕

Prayers for our Care list today and cheers for the celebration list.  I was outside yesterday chatting with next door neighbor Brenda (socially distanced because of my test this Wednesday) when our neighbor up the street drove by and stopped, rolled down the window and said hello.  She is the wife of the gentleman who died last Sunday at home from multiple myeloma.  We offered her our deepest sympathy and agreed he wouldn't have wanted to linger with his severe pain.  It was nice to see her and we of course advised she take care of herself during this time of grief.  She promised she would.

Jake @Crazy For CatsI love the photo!  Thanks for showing us.  Sorry yesterday was such a mess at turnaround.  Hope everyone gets their act together this coming Saturday!  Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry to hear you are not at your best right now.  And I know that affects the household and your care of Tana.  Hope the aide is a good one.  Hugs to you!  And Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI'm sorry I haven't read yesterday's end of day Daily so I hadn't heard of the pain problem for Steve.  I hope things will work out better today for you both!  Hugs to you too!

Our destination today is Cobh (Cork), Ireland and we last saw it on Oct. 17, 2021.  The link to that date will be posted below.

We visited Cobh in 2015 on Royal Princess.  Not only did we enjoy seeing Cobh, which is a lovely town, we also went to Blarney Castle and had a great time there as well.  My best remembrance of Cobh is a purchase I made there.  A sterling silver Celtic knot pendant and neck chain.  The finish on the pendant was so smooth and well done.  I love wearing it.  

My photos of our visits to Cobh and Blarney Castle.

A view of the Lusitania memorial only with wreaths laid.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu-883K1Gvk062Y3n2spWm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189596

Cobh is a hilly place and I liked this view of the houses side by side down the hillside.  Many different colors (to help you find your own home after a trip to the pub?).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqVuzpCM7nMqdaEhAlezQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189603

While walking past those homes we saw this little dog watching us from "their" window.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRgQUU9Ji8wVFqCFOVLTlg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194539

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOz76XV2-7nXgDMuz1Hbmh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189588

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6d5XSPdTFL7_8MHjg526K?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189600

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHrG2BAYU60V60PpUqQNhx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189584

Annie Moore statue00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIj5VDQyJeZgICS6iZPzriY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189572

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqvXvCfQFQcYu-NNtf9yWp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189573

In viewing our pictures I see we were in Cobh twice on back to back cruises on Royal Princess.  The first cruise was a spring 2015 transatlantic cruise and on that one we spent our stop that day visiting Blarney Castle.  The second cruise was a British Isles cruise and that is the day we spent in town exploring.  I knew I'd been to Blarney Castle.  We enjoyed these two cruises with our friends from Myrtle Beach whom we met in 2008 getting on our first transatlantic.  Great couple!

A nice view of Blarney castle and someone who decided to kiss the Blarney stone.  Not an easy task!  Our group passed on it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGhEv0ZVmG6ICqid-eKqaw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187373

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSZDKGF2fnTUDwzMZEsm-q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187429

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxe1AaHHnmow5mJLJg18rI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187445

The spot you kiss as seen from below.  Very top center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6LLWs2r0FBQIgnq5YQ3_Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187389

Sandi, thank you for the good wishes for DH.  BTW, I added a little more info about Naki Attaman to yesterday's late post.

8 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  A lovely morning here. Hope it stays like this. Yesterday’s lovely morning turned into a blustery, grey day that was downright chilly on the Coast. Still amazing to watch the waves. And there were even wind surfers out, in spite of the County warning about debris in the water. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Enjoying your blog. Today is just the gym, chores and Bindi walks for me. 

2CEEF40E-D049-4570-B9E7-EB628629A43A.jpeg.79185ae19218f5f08fa373144f5723a2.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Belle Glos 2019 Las Alturas Pinot Noir (Santa Lucia Highlands)

I would love to try this Pinot Noir. Though it would have to compete with my two current favorites that are significantly cheaper. It is available from several online distributors and one is currently offering it on sale for $32.99. Most others have it priced in the mid $40s or low $50s.

Winemaker Notes

Deep garnet in color with an aromatic medley of black cherry, marionberry, ripe plum and a hint of anise. Dark fruit on the palate with flavors of wild berries, caramelized oak and cacao nibs complemented by subtle notes of vanilla, cedar and a hint of lavender and forest floor. Rich and unrestrained, this wine’s abundant fruit is beautifully balanced by firm acidity and layers of red and black fruit.
WE96 Wine Enthusiast
Firm lines of graphite and loamy earth streak through the opulent aromas of black plum and dried violet on the nose of this brooding Pinot Noir. The palate is a whirlwind of exuberance, as leathery tannins wrap around more graphite minerality, dried violet and lavender, stewed plum and a touch of bittersweet cocoa on the finish.
V93 Vinous

The 2019 Pinot Noir Las Alturas captures all the signatures of the Belle Glos style and yet has quite a bit of freshness too. That makes for a compelling Pinot for readers who enjoy big, large-scaled wines. Sweet spice, rose petal, lavender and spice are nicely kicked up here. Best after 2023

WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
 The 2019 Belle Glos Las Alturas Pinot Noir offers a full-flavored experience on the palate. This wine exhibits attractive and substantive aromas and flavors of ripe fruit and oak. Serve it with a juicy, well-marbled, grilled ribeye. 

Ann, another great meme.  Sounds like Texas weather at times.

7 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@MISTER 67 Then it's a good thing your injured digit is a forefinger and not your remote control thumb! BTW, how is your finger?

-M.

MISTER67, I hope the infection has cleared up and you get a smaller bandage tomorrow.  BTW, be glad it is also not the middle fingers.  🤣

8 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Good morning, all. I used Saturday and Sunday to settle in to SW FL. While doing so, I discovered that our change of location has my DH very confused. It's a sign that our already very limited travels likely need to be more limited. 

I found myself deeply saddened by that realization and trying to think how to best serve his needs while not ignoring my desire for what used to be our joint love of travel. I don't often read the horoscope, but I found myself drawn to yesterday's. Its words offered encouragement to me and, perhaps, to other Daily-ites. It said:

You will hear marvels of distant lands. Someday you will know such places and have your own tales to tell. For now, take in the ideas and let them fuel your imagination.

So, Daily-ites, thank you for sharing your travels – past and current. I will heed those words and let my Bucket List grow as you fuel my imagination.

-Melisa

Melissa, I'm sorry your travels have caused you DH some confusion.  I like your attitude about making the best of things and adding to your bucket list.

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Monday Morning!  It is 33 in Stone Mountain, clear, and feral cat' Fawn's porch was nice and warm this morning.  However, she wanted breakfast so I let her out.  In her optional sleeping box, was her cat friend Bubbles.  Yes he did come back, recently he has been in our yard more than she has.

I am supposed to go over to Shari's this morning to help her sister pack up more of Shari's things.  Then get home, pack up Irving cat and get him to a vet appointment.  Poor cat is having all sorts of tummy problems, mostly he is eating everything and getting skinnier and skinnier.  And it hurts him to use the litter box,   DH finally agreed with me, it was time to take him in for a check up.

Then tonight I work.

Boss for job #2 sent me a contract (that was signed automatically) that states I must work 15 hours a week,  that I will get a base pay of X (too small to mention) that I will make commissions, but I must raise at least 35 dollars an hour, in order to get paid.....this contract looks an awful lot like the one I signed back in 2014.  Hmmmm.......  The reason I came back to work for this company was that they had increased my base pay, and commissions were a thing of the past, and now I'm back in past.

Time traveler.

eb045cfe0095e8422ada9cb7f8065afa.jpg

C5GrIV7WIAAFRYu.jpg

Annie, sorry the new job doesn't pay what you expected.

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Thanks for the hug, Annie.  They all help.

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all.  I survived my first Chili Cook off. There were chilly temperatures, and news reporters with cameras, power outages and tons of people. But even with three professional chefs competing my son won twice. He got best for Carnivores and Best of Show. I was so proud. 

chili5.jpg

chili1.jpg

chili3.jpg

Linda, tell your son congratulations on the award winning chili.

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning everyone.

Thought I would post while i have a few minutes

We will head over to our house to continue to pack things up.  Not a job I am enjoying.

Thank you for the prayers for our neighbor.  She remains hospitalized with lots of tests.  Don’t know how long she will be there.  I do know from her husband that she has two different infections that they are trying to clear up.  She has been in a wheelchair for many years due to a massive stroke. Cannot do anything for herself.  She did not need another. Will update if I learn more today.

Just as I suspected, but hoped it would not happen, my Polymyalgia Rheumatica flared up again right after I received the latest Covid booster.  So I have to start another regimen of Prednisone.  I had just weaned myself off of it and now it is back to square one.  Last night was awful with very painful arms and shoulders, keeping me awake for most of the night.  Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and make me more comfortable.

We are working hard at the house trying to meet the deadline of Thanksgiving to get everything packed.  Lots to do.

Will try to post later tonight when we are back at the apartment.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

Terri I'm sorry your Polymyalgia Rheumatica flared up.  I hope your do not need the Prednisone for long.  Good luck with the packing.  I hope your neighbor improves, and sending positive thoughts for her and her DH.

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. We got an unscheduled light snow last night. And ice!!! Dogs and I walked very carefully and they were happy to come in. I did manage to wrestle Monty into his coat. We will go out later after the melt which may be awhile.... it is only 17 right now.

I might actually like today's meal, but don't think I will make it. Tonight will be salmon and veggies.

Off to the wars at the shelter.  May can not come soon enough. The animals are wonderful... our BOD not so much.

Susan

Susan, it's almost always the animals who are nice, but not some people.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Girls and Children. I like dill pickles. It's also World Diabetes Day - so many are affected.

Strange quote. The meal sounds interesting (sans potatoes), but carby. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine (but too $$$).

I haven't been to Cobh, or anywhere in Ireland.

Brrr. It's cold with flurries. It was 33F, now up to 38F! Another bad night last night due to my stomach issues and neuropathy. I need to call GI and the neurologist.

@seagarsmoker Welcome home. Sorry to hear of the embarkation issues.

@grapau27 Thanks for the pictures from Cobh.

@Crazy For Cats Nice photo. Too bad the turnaround was discombobulated.

@smitty34877 I hope the new aide for Tana works out, and that you feel better soon too.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry to hear of Steve having pain, but I hope it only means nerves are healing.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos.

@HAL Sailer Unfortunate to hear the effect of travel on DH; I went through that with my Mother. And I understand the effect on you as well.

@MISTER 67 Good luck with the hand surgeon tomorrow.

@marshhawk I hope the vet is able to help Irving. Unfortunate about the contract going backwards.

@rafinmd Thank you for our lists. And congrats on finding socks!

@lindaler Congrats to your son on his Chili wins!

@Cruzin Terri Continued prayers for your neighbor. Sorry to hear your PMR flared up and that you have to restart the Prednisone; hopefully a shorter course this time. Good luck with the packing.

@Cruising-along Lovely photos. Cool about Captain O'Driscoll's reception.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I'm sorry you are having so many tummy issues and and neuropathy.  I hope the doctors can sort things out quickly.  Take care.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I never made it to help Pat, I finally called her at 11,  and she had not arrived at Shari's yet.  I did walk the dog, and when I came back into my house, Donna drove into her driveway.  Sat in her car for awhile, and then took a suitcase, a back pack and her purse into the house.  Dog must have been surprised.

Irving made it to the vet, they no longer require masks, but the patients parents are no longer allowed into the examination rooms, the pet has to be their own advocate.  ????  Doc came out after the exam, and told us it might be, fill in the blank...but we wont know until the blood tests come back.  Should be sometime tomorrow,  So, so far this day has been great attempts with no results.

I think last night was a new record for waking up in the middle of the night,  2:15, 2:45, 4:15, 4:54, 5:15, 5:45, 6:10 and again at 6:54, heck I just got up.  I've been eating dill pickles, that's supposed to help with leg cramps, wearing socks, another tip, and so tonight, I will try the bar of soap by my feet.  With the socks,  pickles, and lots of water.  

I'm dead tired, and just about to start work.  arghh. work until 8:30.  To inspire myself, I take the book of Ancient Greece and look at pictures when I am at the desk.

Annie, I hope Irving's blood tests give the vet some answers and the problem is not too bad, and can be solved quickly.

54 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon.  I am very late because of a day of running around.  Nurse Practitioner and also a flu shot, a cholesterol and thyroid blood draw then a pedicure and then Walmart.   By the time I got home DF wanted to go somewhere for lunch.   It was Mexican and disappointing so we will cross that restaurant off our list.   Not a lot to choose from on a Monday.

DSIL has been keeping me posted on my DB.  Yesterday they suggested him going back to the hospital due to his continuing pain and a general rash all over him not reduced by Benadryl and then something higher strength.   I urged them to go back to hospital but he wanted to wait for the Infectious Disease doctor who is due today, not yet.   He was able to do 15 minutes of out of bed PT today and then since his brace slid down they allowed him do PT sitting in bed.   He told my sister to leave yesterday and no more visitors because he is so tired.   I asked DSIL if he feels like me visiting tomorrow.   His WBC count is up and he is off antibiotics.   

Prayers for all on our care list and a shout out to all on cruises!  Thanks for the photos of Cobh, it looks like a beautiful port.  @HAL Sailer and @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope your husbands do better soon.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine.    Have a nice day.   

Nancy, I hope your DB can get some relief from the rash and the pain, and that he can be in the best place for that.

Lenda

PS.  It looks like we were on the road to Quartzsite last year when Cobh was the port of the day.  So I did not post any pictures.  If I have time later, I'll look for some.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd ⬆️Those are lovely, elegant socks -- very appropriate for you, I'm sure. So glad you've not been forced to sport these:

Screenshot_20221114-154150.thumb.png.b913eb07a33a1caeb05c3007c5723abf.png

-Melisa

I would even have taken a pair of those.  The ones I was wearing needed laundry so desperately I was cringing at the idea of going without socks for a day or two.

Roy

• Like 10

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Back when I was a very young newlywed, in a new Province far away from family, I was learning to make ends meet on my husband’s minuscule military salary and what I could bring in from the only job I could find on base.  Kraft Dinner/Mac & Cheese went on sale for 10¢ a box, so I bought a case of them.  Oh boy.  I  can completely relate to your never wanting to eat Mac and cheese again.  🤢  I never did eat KD again but I do like Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese every now and then…. but only many years later.

My sister used to eat Veg All straight out of the can.  She hasn't had it since college.

7 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all.  I survived my first Chili Cook off. There were chilly temperatures, and news reporters with cameras, power outages and tons of people. But even with three professional chefs competing my son won twice. He got best for Carnivores and Best of Show. I was so proud. 

chili5.jpg

chili1.jpg

chili3.jpg

Congratulations to your son!   That is quite the achievement.

57 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

They are giving him a pain pill and a muscle relaxer, which is helping with the leg pain.  We're pretty sure it is the nerves coming back, but it will take some time.  They still haven't figured out what is causing his BP to drop drastically after he sits up for 15 to 30 minutes.  They are not giving him any of the blood pressure meds, and it is till happening.  It got extremely low, but then began coming back up before they got him back in bed this morning.  This is what they sent him to the hospital for last week.  However, once they found the blood clot and got that problem solved, they sent him back to rehab.  Not only is the BP drop concerning, it is interfering with his being able to have much PT.  He just texted that he is going to try the 3 pm PT.  Even a little PT is better than none.

The continued drop in BP even without the meds is concerning.  There are other causes besides heart issues and this might be what the Hospitalist was getting at when overruled by the Cardiologist.  I would hound the staff at rehab about it.  Warm thoughts and hugs to you as I know it weighs heavily on you.

@smitty34877 Sorry you are having difficulties yourself.  I hope the new aide is of help to you as well as Tana.

@Cruzin Terri How disappointing that you are having to restart the prednisone, but that beats the pain.   

@JazzyV I sure hope your stomach issues resolve soon. The mac and cheese might go easy on your tummy.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Get Theraworx  at the pharmacy. Foam works instantly. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DH did do the 3 pm PT, but the therapist came to his room.  She said he was concerned he might not make it to the gym and back.  There were a lot of foot and leg exercises and she checked his BP about every five minutes.  He said it was all over the map.  He told her that he thought the stationary bicycle would be a big help, but she didn't want to get him on it and have him fall off.  Big helpful me, suggested that the she use the belt they put around him to strap him to the bicycle.  🤣  At least, he did get some therapy, which is better than none.

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

The continued drop in BP even without the meds is concerning.  There are other causes besides heart issues and this might be what the Hospitalist was getting at when overruled by the Cardiologist.  I would hound the staff at rehab about it.  Warm thoughts and hugs to you as I know it weighs heavily on you.

Debbie, I think you may be correct.  Unfortunately, in hospital hierarchy, cardiologist trumps radiologist, even if the latter is correct.  It is very concerning, and we think the team at rehab is trying to figure it out.  DH is going to mention the doctor who wanted to keep him to the rehab doctor tomorrow.  It couldn't hurt.  Thanks for giving us the idea to mention it.

We have been to Cobh at least three times.  The first was in 2003 on Rotterdam VI.  We did a tour to Blarney Castle, where DH kissed the Blarney Stone, but I decided to skip it.  I have enough Blarney without inviting more.  😉   Once back in Cobh, we took the local bus to Kinsale and then walked around Cork on the way back.  The next year, we were there on Noordam III and surprise, rented a car.  We drove to Kinsale and then to a golf course two business associates had played.  Our last visit was in 2016 on Prinsendam.  That day we rented a car and drove to Waterford and toured their glass making demonstration.  Then we drove to the Jameson's Distillery, where we toured the old distillery and the new modern one.

Kinsale

IMG_2365.thumb.JPG.5fccc22a92663d4c67ccbe417f8ee5f2.JPG

IMG_2367.thumb.JPG.0d0955c836c4830a0a2a197dbca3ae53.JPG

A market, but I don't remember if it was Kinsale or Cork

IMG_2369.thumb.JPG.7b6e7ccae86c08aabe28e9cfb746ff3a.JPG

IMG_2370.thumb.JPG.a9ef4db9ce60259a746e9837c79c19fa.JPG

Cobh port train station.

IMG_2388.thumb.JPG.ca616920e3bf59644aa656a0e30bb418.JPG

Roche's Point lighthouse

IMG_2394.thumb.JPG.e227e777257c640b31a924027821d036.JPG

The golf course, but I have no idea which one or exactly where it is.

IMG_3273.thumb.JPG.bd5ca8ce3a46ff8d216cadbceb3d1e65.JPG

IMG_3276.thumb.JPG.78192a91fc0731b454e620f50bba8d3f.JPG

IMG_3280.thumb.JPG.5c799285a01a7425bc7c3a9992803304.JPG

Waterford

DSC06739.thumb.JPG.99146cb5419fb62be6327b6e38d9d6f4.JPG

DSC06740.thumb.JPG.d5bcfefd98aaa6f057f5d674862fb73b.JPG

DSC06743.thumb.JPG.4d46d1029ac501dc653dbe3c68098089.JPG

DSC06748.thumb.JPG.566be3c41346864eda78fc5f0f2149c8.JPG

Jameson

DSC06784.thumb.JPG.e8b2a62613ea68e4e54976b500236164.JPG

DSC06786.thumb.JPG.63e21fcc5b38a79ce1f64554699c3190.JPG

DSC06815.thumb.JPG.a51ae51af868831e55232e8cb77b9f8b.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Time for me to get real about my upcoming cruise. My neuropathy issues now are minimal, my COPD has been well controlled for several months and my colitis is much better.  Both my Lung Dr. and my G.I. Dr. have given their blessings for the cruise, as long as I make sure to have all the regular and the emergency use meds. with me. I saw my Primary this morning; she was concerned about my blood pressure and told me to start taking it at least twice a week and keep a diary to give to my cardiologist for my Dec. appointment. I had both my flu shot and the Covid booster in med Oct. My passport is here in my suitcase.  Now all that is left is haircut, mani/pedi, packing, final arrangements for getting to airport on Saturday. After that all transportation etc. is handled through HAL and I will be very happy to board the new Rotterdam. I even managed to talk a friend from church into cruising with me. Yeah!

Prayers for all who need them.

Jane

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

We visited Cobh/Cork a few years ago.  Liked how handy it is that you can board a train to the city right at the cruise terminal.  Have a nagging question, though.  I assume that Cobh is the Gaelic way to spell Cork.  Are both words pronounced the same?

Ray

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We visited Cobh/Cork a few years ago.  Liked how handy it is that you can board a train to the city right at the cruise terminal.  Have a nagging question, though.  I assume that Cobh is the Gaelic way to spell Cork.  Are both words pronounced the same?

Ray

To answer your question, no.  Cobh is the port for Cork which is a few more miles inland and a big city.  Cobh is a smaller town.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Time for me to get real about my upcoming cruise. My neuropathy issues now are minimal, my COPD has been well controlled for several months and my colitis is much better.  Both my Lung Dr. and my G.I. Dr. have given their blessings for the cruise, as long as I make sure to have all the regular and the emergency use meds. with me. I saw my Primary this morning; she was concerned about my blood pressure and told me to start taking it at least twice a week and keep a diary to give to my cardiologist for my Dec. appointment. I had both my flu shot and the Covid booster in med Oct. My passport is here in my suitcase.  Now all that is left is haircut, mani/pedi, packing, final arrangements for getting to airport on Saturday. After that all transportation etc. is handled through HAL and I will be very happy to board the new Rotterdam. I even managed to talk a friend from church into cruising with me. Yeah!

Jane

Jane, that sounds like things are under control.  We also carry a small pharmacy with us when we cruise.  I know you and your friend will have a great cruise.

Lenda

• Like 6

Hi everyone. I’m back from my cruise on the NCL Bliss, and am now in Vegas playing bingo. I didn’t have a chance to read the Daily and Fleet reports so I’m playing catch-up. 

It was a relaxing cruise, I only got off the ship in Cabo for internet service. We were in the Haven (my first time) and everything was wonderful except for the sofa bed.  It took 4 nights before it was just OK.  Great food, great service, I saw Jersey Boys twice, the Beatles Experience twice, and a band “Siglo” once. Didn’t see the comedians. 

I’ll be home from Lost Wages on Wednesday. We have “Friendsgiving“ with our bible study on Thursday, our family Thanksgiving on Saturday, and I need to go to the cemetery on Sunday to decorate my dad’s grave. Then in 2 weeks I’ll be on the Discovery Princess with my DD. I’ll be home for a couple months then will be going to Miami to board the NCL Encore for a Caribbean cruise with my mom and sis & hubby. After I get home I’ll be camping (annual fireworks shown Lake Havasu). THEN I’ll be home for a while. (I’m sure my boss will be happy. 😉)

Take Care!

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 13

@summer slope I have three almost empty bottles of Theraworx, I used it twice last night, and got up and walked around the inside of the house for about 15 minutes (twice)  I wonder if it will work if i put it on before I lie down.  The minute i lie down i feel the muscles start to twitch, not cramp, just tingle.

But tomorrow is a very long day, and I need to sleep!

bf74a36649fb81dd41dba594cd633b0b.jpg

i-wish-i-could-sleep-as-soundly-as-my-cat-58753664.png

• Like 15

Good evening all,

There is a lot to be happy about tonight.

Our insurance company has come through and is paying every penny that our contractor has estimated for the cost of repairs.  It has taken a while, but our contractor was not going to take no for an answer.  We are very pleased.

Also, I was losing sleep trying to figure out how we were going to get all things ready by Thanksgiving.  Well, I decided, it was impossible.  So I got in touch with our contractor.  It turns out that the Water Mitigation company needs to come back and finish packing up and then get all the furniture in the Pod, which will be delivered tomorrow.  They will also help us with getting our clothes out of the closet so we can get them to our temporary accommodations.  What a relief!  I have lost three nights of sleep trying to figure this out.

We have selected our paint colors and am working on the the bathroom vanity.  Need to select the tiles, but that requires a trip to Savannah.  We will do that next week.

So it appears that we are finally getting started and hopefully we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

On another note, we have not heard from our next door neighbor regarding his wife.  Don’t know if that is good or bad.  No car in the driveway, so no reason to go over and knock on the door.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers.  Her name is Joanne.

Maybe in the next few days we will get an opportunity to relax.

Good night all and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

I'm very happy for you!  Now, all you need to do is pack and then relax and enjoy the cruise!

32 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening all,

There is a lot to be happy about tonight.

Our insurance company has come through and is paying every penny that our contractor has estimated for the cost of repairs.  It has taken a while, but our contractor was not going to take no for an answer.  We are very pleased.

Also, I was losing sleep trying to figure out how we were going to get all things ready by Thanksgiving.  Well, I decided, it was impossible.  So I got in touch with our contractor.  It turns out that the Water Mitigation company needs to come back and finish packing up and then get all the furniture in the Pod, which will be delivered tomorrow.  They will also help us with getting our clothes out of the closet so we can get them to our temporary accommodations.  What a relief!  I have lost three nights of sleep trying to figure this out.

We have selected our paint colors and am working on the the bathroom vanity.  Need to select the tiles, but that requires a trip to Savannah.  We will do that next week.

So it appears that we are finally getting started and hopefully we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

On another note, we have not heard from our next door neighbor regarding his wife.  Don’t know if that is good or bad.  No car in the driveway, so no reason to go over and knock on the door.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers.  Her name is Joanne.

Maybe in the next few days we will get an opportunity to relax.

Good night all and God Bless,

Terri

How wonderful that everything is working out on the house.  I will keep Joanne in my thoughts.  Do relax.  You've earned it.

@marshhawk I've used the apple cider vinegar gummies and they have helped.  Also, Aspercreme with lidocaine helps.  I think the lidocaine helps relax the nerves.  Keep drinking that water but make sure you are getting your vitamins.  Things like potassium, sodium, and magnesium can affect those night cramps as well.

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I think you may be correct.  Unfortunately, in hospital hierarchy, cardiologist trumps radiologist, even if the latter is correct.  It is very concerning, and we think the team at rehab is trying to figure it out.  DH is going to mention the doctor who wanted to keep him to the rehab doctor tomorrow.  It couldn't hurt.  Thanks for giving us the idea to mention it.

Unfortunately, you're right about hierarchy.   A doctor I knew once explained things like this:  There are two types of doctors.  One type knows very little about a lot of stuff.  The other knows a lot about very little.  The specialists are great in their area, but don't always look at the whole picture.  The Hospitalist or primary care doctor is the one who is supposed to keep an eye on the total picture and coordinate with the specialists.  They both need equal footing in my opinion.  There were times that my primary care doc was right on the money and more so than a certain specialist I was seeing.  

• Like 7

@marshhawk, @Miss G, @Cruising-along, @JazzyV, @bennybear, @ottahand7, @Quartzsite Cruiser, plus all who added 💙 & 🏆, and to anyone I have missed: THANK YOU!

My DH's dementia had been on an even keel for awhile but it is clearly on another downhill slide. That's normal and not unanticipated but, when it occurs, it feels so unexpected. I try to take a breath, adjust, and move ahead.

Having this forum to voice my fears and frustrations while knowing that you will support me allows me to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I won't be joining you on a BHB anytime soon, but I know you are beside me on my current journey.

With more thanks than words can express,

-Melisa 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@marshhawk, @Miss G, @Cruising-along, @JazzyV, @bennybear, @ottahand7, @Quartzsite Cruiser, plus all who added 💙 & 🏆, and to anyone I have missed: THANK YOU!

My DH's dementia had been on an even keel for awhile but it is clearly on another downhill slide. That's normal and not unanticipated but, when it occurs, it feels so unexpected. I try to take a breath, adjust, and move ahead.

Having this forum to voice my fears and frustrations while knowing that you will support me allows me to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I won't be joining you on a BHB anytime soon, but I know you are beside me on my current journey.

-Melisa 

I'm so happy that you feel comfortable discussing your situation with the Daily family.   I think that is one of the nicest things we can do for each other.  What you are going through is scary.  

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'm very happy for you!  Now, all you need to do is pack and then relax and enjoy the cruise!

How wonderful that everything is working out on the house.  I will keep Joanne in my thoughts.  Do relax.  You've earned it.

@marshhawk I've used the apple cider vinegar gummies and they have helped.  Also, Aspercreme with lidocaine helps.  I think the lidocaine helps relax the nerves.  Keep drinking that water but make sure you are getting your vitamins.  Things like potassium, sodium, and magnesium can affect those night cramps as well.

Unfortunately, you're right about hierarchy.   A doctor I knew once explained things like this:  There are two types of doctors.  One type knows very little about a lot of stuff.  The other knows a lot about very little.  The specialists are great in their area, but don't always look at the whole picture.  The Hospitalist or primary care doctor is the one who is supposed to keep an eye on the total picture and coordinate with the specialists.  They both need equal footing in my opinion.  There were times that my primary care doc was right on the money and more so than a certain specialist I was seeing.  

Debbie, I can't help wondering what happened to two things.  1) Do no harm and 2) putting the patient first over the doctor's ego.  I think they don't  realize how much stress and worry the place on patients and their families when they place their egos ahead of everything.  I guess you can tell my opimism from Saturday has turned to frustration.

Lenda

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Melisa, I feel the same way about all the wonderful and supportive people who frequent the Daily.

Lenda

• Like 5