Limited Drink Packages

hxman

Hubby & I were just talking about a limited drink package.  Maybe something like the coffee card.  A set price for a set number of drinks.  I think this is an untapped revenue stream.  DBP is more than I can drink.  No DBP means I drink less than I might want.  A card with X number of drinks would be a much better fit for me.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, poocher said:

Hubby & I were just talking about a limited drink package.  Maybe something like the coffee card.  A set price for a set number of drinks.  I think this is an untapped revenue stream.  DBP is more than I can drink.  No DBP means I drink less than I might want.  A card with X number of drinks would be a much better fit for me.

They used to have a card / special for a 10 drink card but that never resurfaced upon the restart to cruising in 2021.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hxman said:

Does RCI have a drink package similar to Celebrities "Classic Package"? They appear to only have one package for alcohol.

One package, but two options:

Buy the Deluxe Beverage Package.

Pay for each drink individually.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 8:15 PM, Merion_Mom said:

One package, but two options:

Buy the Deluxe Beverage Package.

Pay for each drink individually.

You would think they would have another combo package of some sort that includes some alcohol and soft drinks. This just means I spend less on the ship and purchase more during the island stops. Too bad they have to "nickel and dime" you to death during a vacation. So be it.

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, poocher said:

Keep in mind the drink packages are designed to benefit RCI, not their passengers. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Keep in mind the drink packages are designed to benefit RCI, not their passengers. 

Well yes and no.... They are offering a product, if that product does not meet the paying customers expectations, they will spend elsewhere.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

True but without the DBP, I brought my own wine & only bought one drink per day.  If we had a punch card or something that gave us 3 drinks a day, we’d drink more and they’d have the revenue from the card.  We could easily have had 2 more drinks each per day.  So instead of charging me $50ish plus tip each for a set number of drinks, we only spent $14 plus tip each.

38 minutes ago, hxman said:

Well yes and no.... They are offering a product, if that product does not meet the paying customers expectations, they will spend elsewhere.

And yet they sell beverage packages all day long, and sail at 100%+ capacity.  I think the buying public has spoken.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, poocher said:

True but without the DBP, I brought my own wine & only bought one drink per day.  If we had a punch card or something that gave us 3 drinks a day, we’d drink more and they’d have the revenue from the card.  We could easily have had 2 more drinks each per day.  So instead of charging me $50ish plus tip each for a set number of drinks, we only spent $14 plus tip each.

RCI is not worried about someone like you who might buy a few drinks a day. They are focused on the majority of passengers who like to drink on cruises and who purchase the deluxe drink package. From talking to beverage managers on multiple ships, on most cruises over 50 percent of passengers (and even higher on shorter cruises) purchase the deluxe drink package. This is happening despite the price of the deluxe drink package significantly increasing compared to prices pre-COVID. 

• Like 2

It’s simple. Different cruise lines offer different dining packages and drink packages. If you don’t like what one cruise line offers, there’s others to choose from, if drinks are important. If you like a cruise line itinerary or price,  but not the drink package, then one has to adapt.

I haven’t checked lately, but on Royal, they also have 375ml bottles of a few alcohols for your cabin. 

5 hours ago, hxman said:

I'm picturing a Carnival ship coming up next to a Royal ship and selling over the rail......