Specific Santorini excursions with RC - can anyone comment on them?

GCS2000

As I posted before need to find an excursion for the wife and daughter that does NOT involve the cable car (nor will they take the donkeys).  Reading these 2 on RC's portal I am wondering if one of these might work.

It seems clear that there will not be an issue to start the excursion i.e. tender to dock and get on a bus/van etc then tour around as it states but then once its time to go back she is concerned she will have to take the cable car back down (some googling has led us to believe this may be the case).  We are hoping someone can chime in about these particular excursions and confirm whether or not that is the case.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Best of Santorini

Overview

Transfer from ship to shore via tender and board your motorcoach to begin your comprehensive tour of beautiful Santorini. Your first stop will be the ancient site of Akrotiri. Unearthed in 1967 after being shrouded for over 3,000 years, Akrotiri is remarkably preserved and offers great insight into the island's ancient history. Continue on to a traditional winery on the island for an opportunity to sample the fruit of the local vine.Your next stop will be the picturesque village of Oia. Perched high atop the cliffs of Santorini's northern terminus and known for its quiet beauty and spectacular sunsets, this spot boasts breathtaking views of neighboring volcanoes. Stroll through the narrow, cobblestone lanes, view the brilliantly whitewashed buildings, shops, sun-bathed cafés and blue-domed churches. Enjoy a lively Greek celebration with the food, wine and dances of Greece in one of Santorini's renowned Greek restaurants, together with great views of this scenic island. Join in the lively celebration, dancing to ‘Zorba the Greek' and breaking plates while the bouzouki plays its solo.You'll then continue to Fira town, the lovely capital of the island built on the rim of the caldera wall, before returning to your ship.

Highlights

• Visit a local winery and sample three different types of wine, including the famous Vinsanto, Lunch with Greek Folkloric show.
  • Explore the cobblestoned streets of Oia and enjoy a Greek style fiesta lunch accompanied by folkloric show presentation.
  • Discover the fascinating well-preserved Bronze Age town of Akrotiri, buried under the pumice of a volcanic eruption in 1450 B.C.

Important details and advisements

• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
  • Tour order may vary but all mentioned sites are covered.
  • This tour cannot accommodate children under the age of 6 years.
  • Headsets, bottled water, maps, and wet naps included in this tour.
  • Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.8 miles over various surfaces.
  • Light snacks or refreshment will be served on this excursion.
  • Most tour departures complement the ship's meal service hours. A meal will be served during this excursion.
  • Alcohol may be available, please drink responsibly.

Island of Santorini and Oia Villiage

Overview

Embrace the glorious island charms of Santorini on an adventure that brings you from the idyllic village of Oia to a local winery for tastings, plus time to explore Fira’s hilltop cityscape with your guide. Admire breathtaking views of the ancient volcanic caldera while driving around postcard-perfect Santorini Bay to the quaint hamlet of Oia. Perched high above the sea, this white-washed Cyclades enclave is full of narrow pathways that wind around a maze of art galleries, cafes, and artisan shops. Next, you’ll travel to a local bodega where Santorini wine is aged, learning about how the island’s climate and volcanic soil contribute to its fine varietals. Wine has been produced here since the ancient times, and it became world-renowned during the Middle Ages. You’ll taste the pure essence of Greek wine with a selection of three unique wines paired with locally produced cheese, olives, and tomatoes. Your final stop in the bustling capital city of Fira lets you snap some memorable photos before the journey back to Athinios port.

Highlights

• Oia: Meander along winding cobblestone paths perched high above the volcanic caldera, peeking in art galleries and artisan shops.
  • Santorini: Drink in the island's world-famous wines with a tasting of three varietals accompanied by locally produced cheese, olives and tomatoes.
  • Fira: Enjoy free time to explore this buzzing cityscape, shop, dine on Greek cuisine, or snap selfies with the caldera.

Important details and advisements

• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 20 steps and extended periods of standing.
  • Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
  • Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
  • Alcohol may be available. Please drink responsibly.
  • Foreign currencies not accepted in many venues.
  • Guests are not permitted to visit winery production facilities during harvest season.
  • Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.
  • The drive from port to Oia is approximately 45 minutes.
  • Tour sequence may vary.
  • During peak season, roads and walkways may have high levels of congestion and guests should be aware that this is beyond the tour operator’s control.
  • Light snacks or refreshment will be served on this excursion.

Hi,

We have been to Santorini a few times and unless I'm mistaken none of the shore excursions end back at the transportation dock. If you haven't done so already, maybe try emailing Royal on either:

shorex@rccl.com or shorexAccess@rccl.com. for a definitive answer.

• Like 1

Visited Santorini twice last month.  All tours had cable car tickets.  You could walk the steps if you dare.  Donkey rides were extra.  Lines for cable car were long.  It was very hot.  Only RC brought bottled water to their guests who were in line(thank you RC).   I would recommend you go with a private tour.  

• Like 1

Gone there, done that on other line, not RCI. Generally speaking, industry wise, good to notice that, at least here in Europe, basically all shore excursions provided for cruise ships are coming from same local vendors, whom of course want to give you the best attractions wise the local may have. Of course they may be hit or miss, with your tour leader being mostly the key for potential success.

That said, pretty much all excursions in Santorini will finish with the cable car, or some of the more expensive/exclusive ones will end with the donkeys. Mine finished with the cable car as well. Companies may have a limited set of excursions that will finish the traditional way, but those are the ones for disabled individuals. As mentioned above, and if that is the case, try to email RCI or let your TA to talk with them on that subject. Either way: Santorini is not that easy for disabled individuals. I know that for proper experience once I have low vision myself.

Have a nice day!

As was mentioned above, perhaps a private tour might be your best bet.  I've had good experience with Tours by Locals in other ports and was able to contact the guide ahead of time, set expectations, and customize the sights.  Although several listed for Santorini appear to have fixed itineraries, a few mention customizable tours with private transportation.  Not as cheap as packaged tours but I found great value.

I suspect there are other ways to obtain this sort of service as well and I'm positive many on this board know of such services, perhaps others can chime in.

Unless things have changed in recent years all tours end in Fira necessitating a trip back down either by cable car, foot or donkey. The Athinios port only took tenders one way - from the ship and not back.

Now it may be that things have changed or that private operators can offer an alternative.  You may get better answers if you post this on the relevant ports if call board as there will be input from not just RC contributors https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/463-greece-ports/

Edited by Bobal

On 11/16/2022 at 6:17 AM, matj2000 said:

What is the problem with the cable cars?

We were there 2 days.  5 ships in port one day, 6 the second day.  Lines for the cable cars were very long and disorganized.  People cutting in line.  Those getting off the cable cars had to walk through the lines waiting to get on.  There was a fist fight the first day because one man thought another man cut the line.  They need to put up ropes or something to organize the line.  It was horrible.  

We have been to Santorini 5 times and we always just walk down. the path is very wide so it is not hard to avoid the donkeys or donkey poo. You just need to be sure to wear sturdy shoes with a good grip not sandals. It takes about 20 minutes with beautiful views. I actually look forward to that leisurely stroll at the end of the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eileen G said:

We have been to Santorini 5 times and we always just walk down. the path is very wide so it is not hard to avoid the donkeys or donkey poo. You just need to be sure to wear sturdy shoes with a good grip not sandals. It takes about 20 minutes with beautiful views. I actually look forward to that leisurely stroll at the end of the day.

Thank you for this info!