First time on Oceania - some impressions

CurlerRob

Shank63

Ii have not read anything about what the new Azamara owners are doing to the ships.  If they have not dumped about $50million into each of them, then they won’t be close to an Oceania R Class ship. The last to be updated was Nautica and she was finished in April. My understanding was they needed a lot of investment from furnishings to engine work  to electronics, the works. You will have to keep your expectations in check. 
Mauibabes

On 11/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, shank63 said:

We have a cruise booked on the Azamara Pursuit in 2023 based on an itinerary.  We have sailed on the O ships as well as Serena and hope Pursuit will be decent.

We generally prefer Oceania but sailed on the Pursuit in May. Booked the Black Sea itinerary that was drastically changed when the war started. The ship looked updated. We didn’t have any problems with the engine and there were now missing ports or any delays at all. Everything worked smoothly and we enjoyed the cruise.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, ak1004 said:

We also prefer Riviera or Marina.

Some people prefer smaller ships, but Riviera and Marina actually have higher passenger/space ratio, so they feel more spacious. Also more dining choices.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Do you mean a higher space to passenger ratio?

18 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The ratios used in the cruisemapper website's calculation are not  true measures of how spacious a ship will seem to its passengers. Gross Tonnage is calculated from the volume of all enclosed spaces of a ship so it includes a substantial amount of space not accessible to or used by passengers such as engine rooms,  crew living quarters, galleys and storerooms. Two ships of equal passenger capacity and equal Gross Tonnage can have differences in the amount of space occupied by facilities not used by passengers. As an example I know that when Marina and Riviera were built there was mention of how large the galleys were relative to the passenger capacity of the ships, so that raises the question of whether actual accessible passenger space per passenger on the "O" ships is in reality more than that on the "R" ships .

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The ratios used in the cruisemapper website's calculation are not  true measures of how spacious a ship will seem to its passengers. Gross Tonnage is calculated from the volume of all enclosed spaces of a ship so it includes a substantial amount of space not accessible to or used by passengers such as engine rooms,  crew living quarters, galleys and storerooms. Two ships of equal passenger capacity and equal Gross Tonnage can have differences in the amount of space occupied by facilities not used by passengers. As an example I know that when Marina and Riviera were built there was mention of how large the galleys were relative to the passenger capacity of the ships, so that raises the question of whether actual accessible passenger space per passenger on the "O" ships is in reality more than that on the "R" ships .

I agree that it's not an exact science, but it still gives a pretty good idea. To us the Riviera felt a bit more specious than Regatta. The buffet area on Regatta is really small and felt a bit cramped, especially on sea days. The theater is much smaller too, and has limited visibility if you are not in the first couple rows. I think the pools are smaller as well.

Of course I would take a ship like Regatta over any big ship (Celebrity, Princess etc) any day, but my preference would still be Riviera or Marina.

• Like 1

I love the R ships and have been on several cruises. 19 years ago, the tiny bathrooms didn’t bother me.  They had horrible flimsy shower curtains at that time.  Since I’ve gotten older, I spring for a PH, which are very nice.  Don’t think I could go back to a veranda.  Note the lowest veranda is no different space or bathroom wise than the concierge version.

I often don’t understand why one would not look at the many YouTube’s or other layout photos of the R verandas! Or really any cabin on any line.  It’s all out there and easy to search for.  I don’t like being surprised😩

R ships are still my favorite, never less.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 8:20 AM, Heidi13 said:

The 4th of the R-Class ships is Regatta.

Sorry, but to my recollection, P&O/Princess have only ever operated 2 of the R-Class ships - Tahitian Princess (later named Ocean Princess) and is now Oceania's Sirena. The Pacific Princess was sold to Azamara, now sailing as Azamara Onward.

In all this R-ship discussion of Renaissance/Princess, let’s remember that o spent $40 million to turn the then Ocean Princess into O’s Sirena.

• Like 1

First night in MDR is often a mess.  However, we have found that after we check in there is always a desk in the reception area for booking the specialty restaurants.  These are usually underbooked on the first night and frequently we have to able to get a booking without a prior reservation especially if we are willing to share a table.  By the way, this does not count against the number of reservations you generally allowed.  We have also been able to get additional reservations in the specialty reservations by checking at the desk at breakfast time.  However sea days are usually very busy in the restaurants as no one is eating ashore or getting home late from an excursion.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, legaleaglegreen said:

First night in MDR is often a mess. 

Why is this? It might be our first night onboard but it's just another night for the staff. There is no pre set seating in the MDR, should be the same night after night.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

Why is this? It might be our first night onboard but it's just another night for the staff. There is no pre set seating in the MDR, should be the same night after night.  

I think the OP was referring to the mad crush of passengers, not the condition of the MDR.

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think the OP was referring to the mad crush of passengers, not the condition of the MDR.

Yeah, I follow that, I still don't think it should matter. Unless there are more people trying to eat in there on the first night, but I actually think there would be more in the Terrace on the first night. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yeah, I follow that, I still don't think it should matter. Unless there are more people trying to eat in there on the first night, but I actually think there would be more in the Terrace on the first night. 

Whether it makes sense or not, we found huge lines for the MDR on embarkation night. We just gave up and went to the Terrace Cafe (on the Riviera). We were pleasantly surprised to discover the curtains drawn, white tablecloths, waiters in white jackets, and the feel of a real restaurant. Yes, we served ourselves, but were asked what we wanted to drink several times, had our plates cleared, and the place was only half full. Later on in the cruise, we then enjoyed the half full MDR on nights we weren’t dining in a specialty restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

just book an O cruise. You won’t be sorry. We are elite plus on Celebrity. After 20+ cruises, we needed a change.  We decided to try other lines.  Our favorites are Windstar, Viking, and O.  We took 3 cruises in 2022.  We had the best time on Marina in December. While onboard, we booked a future cruise for next winter on Vista. A few weeks ago, we got an O promo brochure that was very tempting.  We booked another cruise on Marina that sails soon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mariastreby
That is why the Dinner Reservations Staff are always offering reservations in the various Specialty  Restaurants on the first night of virtually every cruise we have bee on.  By 6:30 there is often quite a line up outside the GDR virtually every night.  It is gone in 10-15 minutes.  This can happen various nights on any cruise especially on nights when there are Cocktail Parties with the Captain or Club Ambassadors. 
We always suggest to people to avoid using one of your Specialty Restaurant quotas the first night of any cruise and just test your luck because 9 of 10 times you will be accommodated.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

Great to read all these comments. After two cruises on Viking and two in Neptune Suites on Holland America, we are cruising on the Riviera in November. It was what we heard and read about the food that convinced us. We made the effort to chose one of the newer ships, since I spend some time at the craps table, and only the Marina and Riviera (so far) have them. 

Last cruise (just finished), on the first night we ate at a specialty restaurant, which was a good idea. So thanks for reminding me to plan a specialty restaurant the first night on the Riviera! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 7:24 PM, CurlerRob said:

We just completed our first trip with Oceania – Insignia, from Montreal to Miami. We decided to post our impressions as data points for other people considering a first O cruise. By way of background, we are experienced cruisers, sailing previously with HAL (their older ships) and Viking.

Booking / Embarkation

• We found the booking and pricing information more complex than necessary. OLife with airfare was contrasted with cruise-only pricing but does not clearly identify the actual OLife cost. While the math can be done, why make it so obtuse? And, quoting astronomical “brochure fares” is utterly pointless.

• The timeliness of information regarding requirements (vax, travel authorizations, country entry requirements) prior to the cruise was poor. Requirements were only finalized shortly before the cruise – although the various country requirements were available from country websites much earlier. As well, there were numerous discrepancies between the various documents on the O website – consistency is critical.

• Embarkation itself was well handled and quick - only 1/2-hour in total. Our cabin was ready by 1 pm. It was a nice touch to have our steward’s name up on the TV screen upon arrival.

• Overall rating B.

The Ship

• Insignia is a smaller ship, which very much suits our preference. We found her clean and well maintained. Getting oriented was very easy – this may have been due to the very similar layout to the older HAL ships.

• The decor is more the traditional style, as opposed to Viking’s contemporary approach.

• A strong plus was the great forward lounge (Horizons) that has copious seating all along the windows with quality views forward and abeam.

• Regretfully, I was unable to find any exterior spot with an unobstructed view forward for pictures, unlike HAL or Viking.

• The lack of a full, covered promenade deck was a minus for us as walkers. In order to walk a complete lap, one had to go up to the fitness track on Deck 10, which is completely open to the elements and was closed on occasion due to winds.

• Overall rating A.

Cabin

• We chose a ‘Concierge’ cabin, with a balcony. It was advertised as 216 square feet, which was somewhat smaller than the ~270 square feet on our comparative lines.

• In general, we found the cabin itself quite adequate, with more than ample storage. An oddity was that our one large suitcase would not fit under the bed, as it usually does, but it did fit nicely into the closet.

• The bed was very comfortable. The pillows were feather, which is not our preference but we did not request a change. The toiletries provided were highly scented, but scent-free versions were available from the cabin steward.

• The balcony was quite standard in our experience – a sliding door opened to two chairs and a small table – worked fine for two people.

• The bathroom was VERY small - to the point that the commode lacked the necessary legroom. Worse was the shower - it’s tiny and a strange trapezoidal shape, with maximum dimensions of about 22” by 34”. It was extremely difficult to use and would be dangerous in a seaway as there is simply not enough room to brace oneself. It was pretty clear where the sacrifice was made regarding the lower square footage. There’s obviously nothing to be done about the configuration, but new pax should be aware.

• Our rating would have been an A but the bathroom was so awkward to use that it dragged it down to a C.

Dining / Drinks

• Oceania says they have the “finest cuisine at sea”. Not having sailed on every line, I can’t confirm or deny that statement. I can say that their food was, in general, every bit as good, and frequently a notch above our previous experiences. There were usually five choices for each part of the meal, with good variety. Meats, fish and poultry were all cooked perfectly to order. The soups were uniformly excellent. There were a few failures (baked Parmesan-crusted chicken, I’m looking at you), but not a significant number.

• The Grand Dining Room was, in our view, the least distinguished from our other experiences – we’d be hard pressed to identify much that was different. Seating was reasonably prompt, other than on the first night crush. The tables are well-spaced so you can enjoy some privacy from your neighbours.

• The Terrace Cafe was a delight, not only for the variety and quality of the food, but especially for the large seating area on the stern - partly covered with nearly all tables protected from the wind. We ate there even on quite cold days, for the view and alfresco experience. We also appreciated that food service is done by the staff – apart from the improved hygiene, we find that provides more opportunity to interact with them.

• The Waves poolside grill had excellent hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches, with quick service even at peak times.

• We found the two specialty restaurants quite different. Polo Grill was as good as many shoreside steak houses we’ve been to. The Italian offering, Toscana, was average at best - across its service, food quality and ambiance. Unfortunate, as we love Italian food.

• One oddity we encountered was that coffee was not routinely offered after meals in any of the restaurants. We learned to order it with our dessert.

• Oceania’s selection of wines by the glass and beer was by far the best we’ve encountered - lots of choices and good quality at reasonable prices. As well, Oceania permits a single pax to purchase or upgrade their beverage package, rather than requiring everyone in the cabin to do so. A very classy move that was greatly appreciated by us.

• Oceania provided two aluminum drink bottles (that you can keep), which could be refilled with the ship’s special bottled water. Very helpful touch.

• Rated A.

Service

• We have never found a ship’s crew to be other than very friendly and accommodating. This continued on Insignia – fine service across the board. Any minor errors were acknowledged and fixed immediately.

• We did experience some inconsistency at times, which had the appearance of staff shortages / new staff. This was our first cruise post-Covid, so our observation may apply across all lines.

• Rated A.

ShoreEx

• We generally prefer independent excursions, which was fortunate, as we found Oceania’s performance in this area completely unacceptable.

• First, the prices. We are quite used to the cruise lines’ normal markups but found O’s to be simply ridiculous - often 400% versus a DIY tour. An example - the Newport cliff walk and Breakers tour was $300 for a couple. We replicated the tour for $73. Even if one wanted multiple ship tours and leveraged the O discounts available when selecting the OLife excursion option, prices still would show more than a 3X markup.

• The second issue was the degree of change to excursions, and lack of communication regarding those changes. We chose only one ship excursion, taken in NYC. Once on the tour, we discovered that the harbour cruise portion promised had morphed into a bus ride. We later discovered that the shore-ex brochure left in the cabin (which looks identical to every other excursion sales brochure we’ve ever seen) identified alterations to many excursions. There was no announcement, no ‘flag’ to be sure to closely review the brochure and no prior emails. The predictable result was a large number of upset pax.

• Excursion changes are normal, but we have never seen a cruise line who expects pax to ferret out changes without any notification.

• This was a total failure - rated F.

Internet

• We include thoughts on the internet service as it’s a “hot topic” on nearly every line. We had the standard internet package. Overall, it was similar to but slightly less functional than other lines, which is to say, usually slow and wildly inconsistent regarding reliability of service. We were annoyed that only one device could be active at a time - much switching required unless one wanted to pony up the high costs for a second login.

• Interestingly, when the service was behaving, we were able to have a few Skype video calls, even without the “streaming” upgrade, so that was a bonus.

• Rated C. (We have yet to find a cruise line that rated anywhere near an A).

Entertainment

• We are not partial to shipboard entertainment, didn’t attend any shows, so have no opinion to offer. There appeared to be a decent set of the standard activities and shows.

• Our only poor experience was when the show band played in the forward lounge one evening. They were so loud that most pax left within minutes.

Summary

The ultimate question for us was “would we cruise with Oceania again”? Our answer was “yes”. Critiques aside, we felt that we received appropriate value on the trip.

For us, choosing O again would be a function of the itinerary and time of year – we would enjoy experiencing the ship with more time in warmer climes, as it seemed particularly suited to better weather. If we were to undertake a longer voyage, we would have to give careful consideration to a cabin upgrade to escape the bathroom purgatory – that would increase the cost by about 1/3 and would strain O’s competitiveness.

Hopefully, these observations and the logic behind them will be of use to other potential pax. Happy sailing! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go to a specialty restaurant or buffet on day 1 will avoid that line into GDR.  As cruise passes the GDR is less crowded. The Terrace buffet is an excellent venue. It serves everything on the GDR menu plus grilled items and sushi.  Often the buffet gets crowded.  On our last O cruise in 2022, the first 4 nights were crowded in the GDR. After that, the GDR was empty. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Go to a specialty restaurant or buffet on day 1 will avoid that line into GDR.  As cruise passes the GDR is less crowded. The Terrace buffet is an excellent venue. It serves everything on the GDR menu plus grilled items and sushi.  Often the buffet gets crowded.  On our last O cruise in 2022, the first 4 nights were crowded in the GDR. After that, the GDR was empty. 

We found the same thing on Riviera.  Also, going early when the MDR opens there was usually a line.  Waiting a bit helped.  Although I know of no way to know ahead of time, they did serve Caviar one night in the MDR as an appetizer.  Not A connoisseur so I could not tell you what kind.  Maybe someone else here knows.  Same night was Beef Wellington.  On our next cruise I will be checking the MDR menu earlier each day. Also to determine what the soufle is that day.  Remember you can eat elsewhere and just stop in to the MDR for a soufle afterwards.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woofa said:

We found the same thing on Riviera.  Also, going early when the MDR opens there was usually a line.  Waiting a bit helped.  Although I know of no way to know ahead of time, they did serve Caviar one night in the MDR as an appetizer.  Not A connoisseur so I could not tell you what kind.  Maybe someone else here knows.  Same night was Beef Wellington.  On our next cruise I will be checking the MDR menu earlier each day. Also to determine what the soufle is that day.  Remember you can eat elsewhere and just stop in to the MDR for a soufle afterwards.

We also enjoy going to the MDR for our soufflé after dinner elsewhere

• Like 3

On 11/16/2022 at 10:24 PM, CurlerRob said:

We just completed our first trip with Oceania – Insignia, from Montreal to Miami. We decided to post our impressions as data points for other people considering a first O cruise. By way of background, we are experienced cruisers, sailing previously with HAL (their older ships) and Viking.

Booking / Embarkation

• We found the booking and pricing information more complex than necessary. OLife with airfare was contrasted with cruise-only pricing but does not clearly identify the actual OLife cost. While the math can be done, why make it so obtuse? And, quoting astronomical “brochure fares” is utterly pointless.

• The timeliness of information regarding requirements (vax, travel authorizations, country entry requirements) prior to the cruise was poor. Requirements were only finalized shortly before the cruise – although the various country requirements were available from country websites much earlier. As well, there were numerous discrepancies between the various documents on the O website – consistency is critical.

• Embarkation itself was well handled and quick - only 1/2-hour in total. Our cabin was ready by 1 pm. It was a nice touch to have our steward’s name up on the TV screen upon arrival.

• Overall rating B.

The Ship

• Insignia is a smaller ship, which very much suits our preference. We found her clean and well maintained. Getting oriented was very easy – this may have been due to the very similar layout to the older HAL ships.

• The decor is more the traditional style, as opposed to Viking’s contemporary approach.

• A strong plus was the great forward lounge (Horizons) that has copious seating all along the windows with quality views forward and abeam.

• Regretfully, I was unable to find any exterior spot with an unobstructed view forward for pictures, unlike HAL or Viking.

• The lack of a full, covered promenade deck was a minus for us as walkers. In order to walk a complete lap, one had to go up to the fitness track on Deck 10, which is completely open to the elements and was closed on occasion due to winds.

• Overall rating A.

Cabin

• We chose a ‘Concierge’ cabin, with a balcony. It was advertised as 216 square feet, which was somewhat smaller than the ~270 square feet on our comparative lines.

• In general, we found the cabin itself quite adequate, with more than ample storage. An oddity was that our one large suitcase would not fit under the bed, as it usually does, but it did fit nicely into the closet.

• The bed was very comfortable. The pillows were feather, which is not our preference but we did not request a change. The toiletries provided were highly scented, but scent-free versions were available from the cabin steward.

• The balcony was quite standard in our experience – a sliding door opened to two chairs and a small table – worked fine for two people.

• The bathroom was VERY small - to the point that the commode lacked the necessary legroom. Worse was the shower - it’s tiny and a strange trapezoidal shape, with maximum dimensions of about 22” by 34”. It was extremely difficult to use and would be dangerous in a seaway as there is simply not enough room to brace oneself. It was pretty clear where the sacrifice was made regarding the lower square footage. There’s obviously nothing to be done about the configuration, but new pax should be aware.

• Our rating would have been an A but the bathroom was so awkward to use that it dragged it down to a C.

Dining / Drinks

• Oceania says they have the “finest cuisine at sea”. Not having sailed on every line, I can’t confirm or deny that statement. I can say that their food was, in general, every bit as good, and frequently a notch above our previous experiences. There were usually five choices for each part of the meal, with good variety. Meats, fish and poultry were all cooked perfectly to order. The soups were uniformly excellent. There were a few failures (baked Parmesan-crusted chicken, I’m looking at you), but not a significant number.

• The Grand Dining Room was, in our view, the least distinguished from our other experiences – we’d be hard pressed to identify much that was different. Seating was reasonably prompt, other than on the first night crush. The tables are well-spaced so you can enjoy some privacy from your neighbours.

• The Terrace Cafe was a delight, not only for the variety and quality of the food, but especially for the large seating area on the stern - partly covered with nearly all tables protected from the wind. We ate there even on quite cold days, for the view and alfresco experience. We also appreciated that food service is done by the staff – apart from the improved hygiene, we find that provides more opportunity to interact with them.

• The Waves poolside grill had excellent hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches, with quick service even at peak times.

• We found the two specialty restaurants quite different. Polo Grill was as good as many shoreside steak houses we’ve been to. The Italian offering, Toscana, was average at best - across its service, food quality and ambiance. Unfortunate, as we love Italian food.

• One oddity we encountered was that coffee was not routinely offered after meals in any of the restaurants. We learned to order it with our dessert.

• Oceania’s selection of wines by the glass and beer was by far the best we’ve encountered - lots of choices and good quality at reasonable prices. As well, Oceania permits a single pax to purchase or upgrade their beverage package, rather than requiring everyone in the cabin to do so. A very classy move that was greatly appreciated by us.

• Oceania provided two aluminum drink bottles (that you can keep), which could be refilled with the ship’s special bottled water. Very helpful touch.

• Rated A.

Service

• We have never found a ship’s crew to be other than very friendly and accommodating. This continued on Insignia – fine service across the board. Any minor errors were acknowledged and fixed immediately.

• We did experience some inconsistency at times, which had the appearance of staff shortages / new staff. This was our first cruise post-Covid, so our observation may apply across all lines.

• Rated A.

ShoreEx

• We generally prefer independent excursions, which was fortunate, as we found Oceania’s performance in this area completely unacceptable.

• First, the prices. We are quite used to the cruise lines’ normal markups but found O’s to be simply ridiculous - often 400% versus a DIY tour. An example - the Newport cliff walk and Breakers tour was $300 for a couple. We replicated the tour for $73. Even if one wanted multiple ship tours and leveraged the O discounts available when selecting the OLife excursion option, prices still would show more than a 3X markup.

• The second issue was the degree of change to excursions, and lack of communication regarding those changes. We chose only one ship excursion, taken in NYC. Once on the tour, we discovered that the harbour cruise portion promised had morphed into a bus ride. We later discovered that the shore-ex brochure left in the cabin (which looks identical to every other excursion sales brochure we’ve ever seen) identified alterations to many excursions. There was no announcement, no ‘flag’ to be sure to closely review the brochure and no prior emails. The predictable result was a large number of upset pax.

• Excursion changes are normal, but we have never seen a cruise line who expects pax to ferret out changes without any notification.

• This was a total failure - rated F.

Internet

• We include thoughts on the internet service as it’s a “hot topic” on nearly every line. We had the standard internet package. Overall, it was similar to but slightly less functional than other lines, which is to say, usually slow and wildly inconsistent regarding reliability of service. We were annoyed that only one device could be active at a time - much switching required unless one wanted to pony up the high costs for a second login.

• Interestingly, when the service was behaving, we were able to have a few Skype video calls, even without the “streaming” upgrade, so that was a bonus.

• Rated C. (We have yet to find a cruise line that rated anywhere near an A).

Entertainment

• We are not partial to shipboard entertainment, didn’t attend any shows, so have no opinion to offer. There appeared to be a decent set of the standard activities and shows.

• Our only poor experience was when the show band played in the forward lounge one evening. They were so loud that most pax left within minutes.

Summary

The ultimate question for us was “would we cruise with Oceania again”? Our answer was “yes”. Critiques aside, we felt that we received appropriate value on the trip.

For us, choosing O again would be a function of the itinerary and time of year – we would enjoy experiencing the ship with more time in warmer climes, as it seemed particularly suited to better weather. If we were to undertake a longer voyage, we would have to give careful consideration to a cabin upgrade to escape the bathroom purgatory – that would increase the cost by about 1/3 and would strain O’s competitiveness.

Hopefully, these observations and the logic behind them will be of use to other potential pax. Happy sailing! 🍺🥌

How did  compare to your Viking cruise?

• Like 2

A few observations about the GDR, in general, and on the first day of your cruise.

First, getting that Specialty reservation the first night. Don’t count on it on many cruises. If one’s cruise is a segment of a multitude of Grand Cruises options, that means you will probably have a multitude of B2Bers on your ship. I been on O cruises were less than half the ship boarded with us. Everyone of the on board B2Bers have first options on any opening in the Specialties before the new group boards. Having been one of those in the past, we often jump on those reservations to avoid the GDR or Terrace on that first night for new segmenters. Chances for newbies may be slim. If, however, one is on the Miami-Miami or Seattle-Seattle milk runs, or other similar cruises with few B2Bers, reservations on night one are indeed often available.

The Great Line Up. There exists a substantial number of Oceania guests that have no desire to share the company of other guests and want to strictly dine alone on a two top. Those are predominantly the guests that show up early and form a line so to get one of those limited tables. We enjoy sharing and meeting fellow guests so we aren’t interested in the early lineup. Second, we prefer to give the numerous mobility challenged guests plenty of time to get the wheel chairs, scooters, etc, a chance to get situated before we come in. Some of the more elderly guests, accustomed to eating at 4;00-5:00, at home, likewise line up early so to retire early. We find that simply waiting until 7:00-7:30 yields a seating with out lines or inconveniences. It’s not like we’re ever starving on the ship, so the short wait pays dividends for us.

Hopefully this gives some clarity to the situation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orator said:

How did  compare to your Viking cruise?

I’m also interested in your answer to this, @CurlerRob. We are also mainly Viking cruisers, with two more this fall and over the holidays.

But we did take our first Oceania cruise on the “new” Riviera in March. They have similar appeal. Many more people with walkers and scooters on O, so elderly people must go on Caribbean and Panama Canal voyages and hardly ever get off the ship. Viking has very few people in that category. The food offerings are better on O, with quality sometimes better. Crew service is equally as good on both lines. All Viking ships are virtually identical, which is starting to bore me. The Scandinavian look is nice… but I’m really looking forward to the exciting new spaces we’ll see on our transatlantic next year on the Vista. Different decor in each Oceania specialty restaurant is great, and the feel of the ships are just more elegant in almost all spaces. Also a lot of nice art and sculpture. The Vista supposedly has far better production shows now, which sounds good to us, and we found the guest entertainers to be more good than not. 

Viking excels in offering lectures about the areas where you are traveling, or sometimes random historical subjects. On our Riviera trip to the Caribbean, their one lecturer who spoke about the volcanic origins of the islands was downright bad, with disorganized slides. Think of your worst high school teacher! But during our Viking Panama Canal trip, not only did we get an early (two days ahead) two part talk about the creation of the canal, but the lecturer was on the ship’s sound system the day of the canal voyage. She could be heard in most outdoor spaces. She described what was going on as we got closer and into the locks. 

All Viking ships have large regular veranda cabins. The bathrooms are great, with heated floors, fog free mirrors, and roomy shower stalls. We always get a PV cabin, which is similar in sq feet to Oceania’s PH cabins. There are no butlers or special Concierges on V, but each cabin or mini suite level gets its own perks, such as laundry and booze in your room fridge. Every cabin has a Nespresso coffee machine, so we love making coffee no matter what time we wake up, vs a pre-determined room service delivery time. The way you reserve excursions is different, and is a definite weakness on Viking’s part, compared to almost every other cruise line out there. However, there is always a free included excursion at every port, but they are heavy on panoramic bus rides, with perhaps a bit of walking.

Also, a big plus with Viking - free beer or wine is included at every lunch and dinner. The beverage package is around $23-24/day, but A La carte drinks are amazingly well priced. You get quality upgraded wines at dinner with the package. No gratuity is added to the cost of the drinks. Many cocktails are about $9.00-$9.50, with beers from $5.50-8.00. Viking’s afternoon tea is far better than the ones offered in Horizons, mostly because it is set in a beautiful light filled area designed just for serving high tea. It does get used for other things obviously, but mostly the tea and your personal 3 tiered tower of goodies. Viking’s included Wi-Fi is for any device in your cabin, but tends to run rather slowly. So no logging off and on between two phones and an iPad, for example. 

Yes, we like Viking, but Oceania’s larger ships are great with their Waves Grill, Baristas, larger theater seating area, many more restaurants, classy decor, and having better service at the cabin levels from PH on up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with your comparisons. The one speaker we had on Oceania was a male and very few people showed up after the first day. Decided to give him a chance and left after the third day. 

• Like 1