Normandy Beaches

jimmymac613

Which, if any, of the cruise companies visits Omaha Beach in Normandy?  The only one that I've looked into was Scenic which stops in Honfleur but, according to their itinerary, only goes to Utah Beach for Americans.  Doesn't really make sense to me because it sure looks like Omaha Beach is closer to Honfleur than Utah Beach.  Also, how long is the bus ride from Honfleur?

53 minutes ago, jimmymac613 said:

Which, if any, of the cruise companies visits Omaha Beach in Normandy?  The only one that I've looked into was Scenic which stops in Honfleur but, according to their itinerary, only goes to Utah Beach for Americans.  Doesn't really make sense to me because it sure looks like Omaha Beach is closer to Honfleur than Utah Beach.  Also, how long is the bus ride from Honfleur?

Scenic took us to both Utah Beach and Omaha Beach on the Normandy & Gems of the Seine cruise in May.  With the ship docked in Honfleur, it was easy to include both (and Sainte-Mère-Église and a nice lunch at the Mercure Hotel Omaha Beach golf resort in between).

We were encouraged to scoop up some sand from Omaha Beach, which we have just been able to pass on to a local nursing home for the 100th birthday celebration of a resident.

We also went to Utah beach and Omaha beach on Scenic.  I suggested that they skip Utah beach because the whole day felt very rushed.  We were there the day after D Day.  A ceremony was happening and we were not allowed to stay and watch it because we had to "get back on the bus.'  The whole day was a disappointment, because we were rushed at each stop.

2 minutes ago, texasstar said:

We also went to Utah beach and Omaha beach on Scenic.  I suggested that they skip Utah beach because the whole day felt very rushed.  We were there the day after D Day.  A ceremony was happening and we were not allowed to stay and watch it because we had to "get back on the bus.'  The whole day was a disappointment, because we were rushed at each stop.

We didn't feel rushed, but we would have enjoyed more time at the Utah Beach museum.  So I guess there are things at all three stops that are worth seeing.

Scenic must find it very challenging to accommodate all of their cruisers on their Seine cruise. We were on their very first cruise at Aramanche we went to the museum that told the story of the Mulberry Harbours. Very interesting to us as we grew up in the Portsmouth area and the remains of harbours visible every day. We knew the story basically it was and I must admit you could say it was part of our DNA. Then on to Pont du Hoc a Canadian friend was taken by taxi to a Canadian cemetery so that he could visit a family war grave. Yes the day was maybe a tad busy but I’m not surprised. 
My brother in law frequently crosses to tour that area of France being a WW2 buff he’s been going for years and says he will keep going as he learns something new every time. He does have one enormous plus, gets the ladies every time, his beautiful red Mustang!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimmymac613 said:

Avalon visits Omaha beach not Utah beach. 

Scenic divided passengers going to American beaches and those that wished to go to Juno Beach and the Canadian cemetery.  We all went to the museum at Sword then met for lunch.  My understanding was most other cruise lines on went as far as Rouen then bussed passengers to Normandy from there.

I did this with Avalon back in 2016. The ship sailed to Caudebec and we had a full day at Pont du Hoc, lunch in Arromanches with enough time to do the museum if you wanted, and excursions to Omaha beach for Americans. The Canadians went to Juno beach. There was a 3rd option to go to see the Bayeux tapestry and maybe some other food options.  We were able to do Honfleur as an optional excursion from Rouen. Granted this was in 2016 when the Seine & France had record flooding but none of our excursions were altered in this area. We were impacted more on the trip back to Paris and the ship couldn’t sail any further than Rouen. We were then bused to Paris and put up at a 5 star hotel. 

This area really should be done on it's own....WITHOUT a cruise. NONE of them do it justice, long bus rides, short visits everywhere you go. We have been in that area twice, and still there are some things to see. Go in early or after a cruise. Stay in Bayeux or Honfleur. Then get on your ship...when you get to the port that goes to the beaches, there are other fantastic things to see. We have used OVERLORD TOURS twice and they are fantastic

Edited by caripoo
  • Like 2

Grand Circle Travel visits Omaha Beach on their Seine river cruise. We toured several sites (WN60, the DDay Memorial, Sainte-Mère-Église, and Arromanches-les-Bains) in addition to Pointe du Hoc and the American Cemetery. It was a long day, but we’ll worth it. 
ETA: Our visit was six or so years ago. The current itinerary can be viewed at https://www.gct.com/trips/river-cruises/europe/the-seine-paris-to-normandy/2021/itineraries?icid=global:itineraries:europe-by-river-cruise:river-cruises:sen

Edited by CPT Trips

3 hours ago, caripoo said:

This area really should be done on it's own....WITHOUT a cruise. NONE of them do it justice, long bus rides, short visits everywhere you go. We have been in that area twice, and still there are some things to see. Go in early or after a cruise. Stay in Bayeux or Honfleur. Then get on your ship...when you get to the port that goes to the beaches, there are other fantastic things to see. We have used OVERLORD TOURS twice and they are fantastic

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 2

I was just in Cherbourg, France as a cruise stop and we had a private tour:

https://alliedvictorytours.com

He does tours out of Cherbourg, also for those arriving via train from Paris and those in the area. He also owns a B&B and his wife runs a WWII Women's museum. I highly recommend Mike.

I really wish I had 2 days to explore the area. Sorry - not river cruise related but if you are spending time in Paris before your trip - worth looking into.

Edited by Coral

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yep. Unless a poster can prove they used a RC they should not be allowed to post any opinions about the cruise. This poster also was pushing a tour guide. Isn’t that against CC rules? Nobody asked for one. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yep. Unless a poster can prove they used a RC they should not be allowed to post any opinions about the cruise. This poster also was pushing a tour guide. Isn’t that against CC rules? Nobody asked for one. 

I think the poster was saying that if one can do this separately - they will see a whole lot more. I agree with @caripoo

I just did one day off of a cruise ship and I wish now that I had seen the Canadian sites also. I didn't have a chance to go into any museums. While I am glad I went and saw some of the American sites - I barely saw Normandy. I also posted the guide I used as I think those who tour independently could benefit from a name of a good guide. I lucked out and joined a great group.

If anyone thinks they can see properly see Normandy in one day - kudos to them. I definitely could not.

I did see Overlord tours and spoke to someone who went on them and thought highly of their tour. They had 3 large vans when I got off the cruise ship.

I hope you have a great river cruise and can see the sites you want to see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Normandy is huge and I really don’t think anyone thinks it’s an easy tour. You’d have to be there for several weeks to assimilate this exquisite corner of France so a taste during a river cruise is better than nothing. Full flavour return - return- return again and enjoy.

I completely agree! One day barely touched the surface but I am so glad I have that one day. I sure hope I can return soon.

• Like 2

I did Normandy with Ama back in May on their one way seine cruise from Paris (they have another that is a Paris loop trip)

It was a full day with a LOT of bus riding from Le Havre where the ship was.

We started at the American cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer

and then went down to Omaha for a few minutes and then basically drove down the coast to Gold Beach and visited the Battery at Longues-sur-mer before eating lunch in Arromanches (remains of the British mulberry still visible) before heading to Caen to a museum them back to the ship. 

I believe their other Seine cruise has this as a split day where you can either do the American or British beaches.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am sorry but what part do I not know what I am talking about ......The area, because we have spent more than 1 month total in theat area, or the part where no cruise lines do that area justice. The reason MOST go on that cruise is because of ALL the sights in that area, and not 1 line spends enough time there.

For Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders & Americans the journey to anywhere in Europe is long and most of you want to get a flavour of as many areas as possible. There are no rivers nearer than the Seine so a coach trip with sneaky peaks are the norm. I’m a very proud Londoner who’s dad was a Pompey lad originally from the Channel Isles, as a teenager and living in Portsmouth we could and did find various ways of travelling to France some just a bit uncomfortable but these were very interesting weekends so all in all I’ve seen and forgotten more of the area than a lot of you. Take a slow slightly inland drive there are so many tiny cemeteries you would not believe and ordinary gardens with memorials. I and my friends were lucky to be able to do this most are not so grab what you can while you can it’s worth it!