Are any of the specialty restaurants worth the price?

Sabre407

43 minutes ago, skrufy said:

The steakhouse food is delicious, but for us they have out too high a price. We have never had any of the other restaurant fares. So on our Jubilee cruise will will be feasting on the lower priced restaurants.

We thought about going to the steakhouse a couple cruises ago...but then we realized we could save that money and go to the local Brazilian Steakhouse $26(weekday lunch).  It was a no brainer to pass on the steakhouse.  And glad I did because the more cruises we have taken, the less I like the beef on CCL.  Open flame is just so much better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Only you can determine if it's worth it for you.  Some here will tell you yes, some will tell you no.

Have some fun and try them and find out.

I think this is the best answer.

It depends on your taste, your palate...

I think MDR food is tolerable for the most part, with a few good exceptions.  I think Steakhouse is 100% worth it two nights every seven-day cruise, even at the elevated prices as long as the quality of the food in general stays superior and the meats stay PRIME.  Cucina is also very good Italian food, where Italian food in the MDR is more like Olive Garden quality.

But I have read on here where people said they didn't think Steakhouse was worth the upcharge - one or two even stated (and I had to do a double-take) they like MDR food better than Steakhouse food.

The key is I'm right and so are they when they say "MDR is better than Steakhouse" because food is subjective - I'm right for me and they're right for them.  Being a foodie is both a blessing and a curse, as is wanderlust for us all here, we love cruising and travel in general.

As ColeThornton said, try and find out for yourself.

4 hours ago, Spaniel Lover said:

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the Pig & Anchor yet.  For my money, it's the best value in premium dining on the ship.  The prices at the Pig & Anchor (I'm talking about food prices at the restaurant at dinner time) are very low, and those smoked meats are fantastic.  The brisket...  the ribs...  ooh, I can't wait 'til I can eat there again!  Also, be sure to try the Trash Can Nachos.  That Guy Fieri really knows how to cook!

We'll need to give that a try next time we're on a ship with the P&A Pub.  I actually think the lunch offerings we've had on the 'counter' ships has been solid.  Not spectacular but solid.  We typically get it once per cruise. Frankly, food options are one of the reasons we like Sunrise so much.  Looking forward to Radiance too. 

We love the steakhouse.  I'm a vegetarian (my husband is not) and we both love eating there every cruise.  Never had a bad experience there on any ship and feel it's well worth the cost.  From what I understand, the free bottle of wine (or 50% off higher end bottles) is still in effect the first night.  

Cucina?  Love it!  As others have said, the porkchop (according to hubby) is awesome.  I haven't had a bad dish there.  Love the pasta, apps, and bread.

Teppanyaki was also a great time and meal for us (most recently on Mardi Gras).  Bring your appetite though cause the food is non-stop.  And all of it was delicious,

All that said, I'm not a big fan of the MDR, though I feel like my options as a vegetarian are a bit limited.  I like the idea of the MDR, but I just think it's not for us.  

7 hours ago, mmtska said:

Isn't there pb, jelly and bread on lido? I would go for that unless you're really craving it and don't want to leave your room.

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn’t even think to look at a buffet for peanut butter and jelly. Seems too basic, but god is it comforting.

1 hour ago, Sabre407 said:

I wouldn’t even begin to know how to eat that, but I’ll give it a try.

Layer by layer. Take plenty of napkins with you. :classic_laugh:  They tend to get messy but they are soooo good..... with lots of beer. LOLOL.

We finally went recently on the Magic to the Steakhouse for the very first time after 22 cruises. It was the worst experience ever. From the inattentive service to the worst cuts of steak possible it was all terrible. They got our $84 but never again.

DH and DS will order off of the steakhouse upcharge (cost is much lower than in the steakhouse) menu in the MDR in addition to whatever entrée the choose in MDR.  I dont care for steak or many of the items in the steakhouse so not worth the price for me, the upcharge in MDR is very cost affective for DH and DS.  They also love to get the sushi boat and split it in MDR.  

I have been to Jiji and Steakhouse. Jiji was very good and relatively inexpensive for a different type of meal. I didn't hate the Steakhouse, but I didn't love it. Especially not at $96 a couple. I think in general, that steakhouses are a scam. Sure I enjoy going to one every so often for a special treat. More often than not, that $125+ bill wasn't worth it. I am also not a dessert person. So the "3 course" thing doesn't do it for me.

I'm hoping to try 3 new things on my Celebration cruise, but I doubt I'll hit them all. Now with the awful strip loin in the MDR, I will likely finally have a reason to order the steakhouse selection surf and turf for $23. I also want to do bonsai for a quick snack one night. Finally, since cucina is included, I have to give it a shot too. I want that chicken parm.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sabre407 said:

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn’t even think to look at a buffet for peanut butter and jelly. Seems too basic, but god is it comforting.

I just checked the breakfast menu for room service, and toast is available under the continental breakfast-aka free stuff. Condiments include grape and strawberry jelly, orange marmalade and peanut butter. So I definitely wouldn't spend the money on the sandwich!

• Like 1

We've eaten in the steakhouse perhaps 30 or 35 cruises, only had one subpar experience, most were fine, and there were several exceptional meals and service.

Our last 2 times on MG we also ate at Rudis. 

We find the food and service at the steakhouse is far above the MDR level.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:18 PM, Spaniel Lover said:

I'm just curious...
Were you not impressed with it based on a sea day lunch you had there?  Or did you dine there for dinner?

I'm not all that impressed with the sea day lunch buffet they offer outside the Pig & Anchor...  but the sit-down dinners inside the restaurant, I LOVE those.   The dinner at the Pig & Anchor is completely different than what they serve at lunch time.  I worry that people might be un-impressed with the lunch, and then never try the dinner version.

Do try the Trash Can Nachos sometime, if you never have.  They are unlike other nachos you've probably had.

Pig&Anchor-Nachos.jpg

I'm just not that impressed with anything on the menu, other than the nachos.  I can smoke things at home that taste better than they do onboard.  

I dont like Italian so never tried that place. I let them surprise me at the sushi place and was disappointed, but loved JiJis and also the lobster rolls in the fish place at the amt of the ship. The steak house was enjoyable. I think I've tried them all except italian. 

Each of the Cucinas have their unique captains dish and the menus are different on the Excel Class ships.  The tomahawk pork chop on the Vista Class Cucinas are excellent, but are missing on the Mardi Gras and I assume on the Celebration.

With the increase to 48.00, I don't think the steakhouse provides value.  But many will since food is subjective.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:18 PM, Spaniel Lover said:

I'm just curious...
Were you not impressed with it based on a sea day lunch you had there?  Or did you dine there for dinner?

I'm not all that impressed with the sea day lunch buffet they offer outside the Pig & Anchor...  but the sit-down dinners inside the restaurant, I LOVE those.   The dinner at the Pig & Anchor is completely different than what they serve at lunch time.  I worry that people might be un-impressed with the lunch, and then never try the dinner version.

Do try the Trash Can Nachos sometime, if you never have.  They are unlike other nachos you've probably had.

Pig&Anchor-Nachos.jpg

Those look delicious! Counting down the days till I can try them.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, LatinaInTexas said:

Last cruise on Panorama we ate almost every night at specialty restaurants. JiJis is very, very good, went there twice. We sat facing the kitchen watching and the second time we went chef recognized us and sent over a big bowl of soup.

Went to Bonsai even though we don't eat sushi and there were enough non seafood items on the menu to make a delicious meal.

Cucina I had the pork chop, delicious. Smokehouse was pretty bad, almost inedible food.

Have tried the steakhouse twice, wasnt overly impressed. Rib eye was great but not a fan of the rest of the menu.

It was worth it to me because I was a bit tired of the same old MDR menu.

Do they stop the basketball playing above the Cucina/ Jijis at night? We went to the lunchtime for the pasta and it was a nonstop earthquake above us from the basketball court on the deck above. 

Our cruise on Vista in May gave us the chance to try out most of the dining options, specialty included.  We were onboard during the closure of Cucina so didn't get to try that, but I don't think we would've gone there anyways since we aren't huge Italian food fans.

The steakhouse was really good food, but would I pay $48 a person for it?  No.  Maybe it was just an off night, but the service was not very good - the host at check-in was honestly extremely rude and while our waitress was polite the service was far from personable.  I really don't think our experience was worth $38, much less the new $48 price since our cruise.  I probably won't eat at the Steakhouse again unless I'm really trying to burn through OBC.  Doesn't provide a great value in my opinion (especially with bad service) when I can make a great NY Strip at home for around $40 less.

Jiji's was FANTASTIC.  This was probably some of the best food I have ever had and it's a shame that Carnival doesn't seem to be continuing this concept.  I think that this is totally worth the extra cost.  My mom can't stand Asian food but even she really enjoyed our dinner at Jiji.  Definitely go, and deifnitely order the duck appetizer when you do.  You won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately, our experience at Bonsai Sushi was not good at all.  The service here was even worse than the Steakhouse.  They never brought us water or soy sauce - they literally handed us our menu cards when seating us, picked them up about 15 minutes later without saying a word, and broguht us our food and walked off before we even had the chance to ask.  The sushi was just ok but honestly I prefer the sushi from HEB which is also less expensive, lol.  The ramen was terrible - overcooked mushy noodles, flavorless broth, and literally one cube of chicken.  We will not be eating at Bonsai on any future cruises.

Vista did not have Rudi's, Emeril's, Pig & Anchor Smokehouse.  We did not go to the Chef's Table.

Ultimately, I'm one of those that thinks Carnival provides more than enough free dining to be content not spending at specialty restaurants.  I love the MDR and will eat there every night of the cruise, unless we get the chance to go to Jiji.  It's really just a matter of personal preference, but in my view, unless I am going to be completely blown away by an upcharge restaurant, I don't see the point in spending even more when I have already spent thousand(s) of dollars just to be onboard and there is already pretty decent included food in the MDR.

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:19 PM, skrufy said:

The steakhouse food is delicious, but for us they have out too high a price. We have never had any of the other restaurant fares. So on our Jubilee cruise will will be feasting on the lower priced restaurants.

Price has gotten way out of control now imho. I can see an upcharge but it's now a bit steep. Always some poor chump gonna pay up, lol. $$$

Agree, cost outweighs value at current pricing. We used OBC at the Steakhouse and Cucina on the Vista back in May 2022. Prices were 10-20% cheaper then. In our opinion, the food was a step up from the MDR and was a good use for our OBC. Service was also very good. We tend to eat later 8-830 when the rush is over. It was a good use of our OBC.

Even in the MDR after 8-830, we found the service to be attentive and the food was adequate. No one went hungry.