Woman Straddling Balcony Railing

sunonfire

On 11/19/2022 at 11:27 PM, SmoothFlying said:

IF and I say 'IF' it's due to an angry argument caused by alcohol which fueled her actions with SO or family member then Carnival SHOULD ban her from cruising forever and if there's an cruise line inter-net listing (which there probably isn't, but should be) her name should be added. Because if there's a 'next' time this industry may not be so lucky. Of course all of this is just IMPO Heck, even IF CCL did all the above,she's hire some slimey' so and so to represent her and they'd threaten to sue and after all was said and done, all she'd just getting is a $50 fine, and they'd sell her another  'Cheers' package 😞

Mac  

Cruiselines aren't scared about a "I'm gonna sue" threat.  They don't pay off nuisance suits

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Easier said than done. You have clearly not been in her situation.

Actually yes I have.  Try being a female Army sgt in charge of a platoon of men in the 70's.  Dealt with harassment on a daily basis.  Back then a woman in the Army was either a prostitute, looking for a husband or gay.  I fit none of those categories and had to deal with it daily from both superiors and my platoon.  Best way to handle it is to remove oneself from the situation ( if you can) or seek assistance.  Straddling a balcony serves no purpose IMHO

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I remember when we were on another ship, a teen boy leaped to his death.  I agree that it very much depends on *WHY* she as out there.  Mental illness is very different than "entitled and stupid" or "drunk and stupid."

My $.02

I was thinking the same thing.  She may be suffering from mental illness.  I can't think of any other reason for her behavior. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Just me, but if someone was was harrassing me, I would probably just leave and go to another bar.  If they followed then I would get security involved for being "stalked".  Too many bars onboard.  Straddling the balcony doesn't hurt the harassers at all.

In many, many cruises as a solo female (and attractive, if I do say so), I have never even been given even a "line" on board, sitting at any of the bars.  

• Like 2

I feel for this woman and it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the situation. But it sounds like Carnival dealt with the situation appropriately and this woman is now having to deal with the consequences of her actions both from Carnival and personally from having this video posted and seen by who knows how many people. We should all be thankful that this had the ending it did because it could have turned out so much worse. She's a single mother of two kids, who could have ended up without their mom had it not been for the actions of the man in the adjacent cabin talking to her and the quick actions of the security guards to get her back inside unharmed. I would hope that she gets the help she needs after this scary situation. 

• Like 6

Those who say maybe she had mental health issues are just as guilty of unsupported blaming as those who say she was drunk.  Could have been either.  Could have been neither. Could have been both.  We don't know.  It's a sad situation all around.  And while she may be confined to cabin or banned from cruising, she and all of us on this board should be thankful she is alive today.  And praise the actions of her neighbor (videographers and folks on the dock were basically helpless anyway) and the relatively quick response time from Carnival security.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 11:32 PM, icft said:

The balcony rooms on deck 11 of the Glory have sliding balcony doors:

Thanks.  My last Glory sailing looks like Oct 2017.  Perhaps the conversion to sliding doors on the added balconies occurred after that date?

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

In many, many cruises as a solo female (and attractive, if I do say so), I have never even been given even a "line" on board, sitting at any of the bars.  

It’s mostly how you present yourself that makes the difference.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Actually yes I have.  Try being a female Army sgt in charge of a platoon of men in the 70's.  Dealt with harassment on a daily basis.  Back then a woman in the Army was either a prostitute, looking for a husband or gay.  I fit none of those categories and had to deal with it daily from both superiors and my platoon.  Best way to handle it is to remove oneself from the situation ( if you can) or seek assistance.  Straddling a balcony serves no purpose IMHO

Well, it did expose a problem. I hear you but many of those men knew you controlled their future. That could have accounted for your strength. Things we all dealt with in the past have come to light as unacceptable today thank goodness. But I think most of us came out stronger for it.

We didn’t have maternity leave, free college or loans forgiven, free daycare, or many other things and it is easy for us to say “I had it hard, so why should you have it any easier”. If boys were raised properly she would not have had to figure out how to deal with them.

18 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

”. If boys were raised properly she would not have had to figure out

I can agree with you, but only to a point. I was born, raised and grew up with a loving BUT strong mother who taught me my whole upbringing,' No matter WHO or HOW they act, you always treat every woman like a lady, with respect. Treat them as you'd hope a man would treat your sister'. After ten years in law enforcement as a uniformed Deputy , I saw men and arrested many, who after way too much liquor were involved in both  took their anger, in both verbal and physical abuse. and ended up spending the night as our guest in the crossbar motel ( jail). Many of these 'guest were still there the next day when I'd come back in for my shift and I'd have to process them before they could make bond.

I was very surprised at how most of them , who stoutly swore they had no memory that they'd done these acts. Perhaps, they had a lasp of memory and 'forgot' them But, the stink of alcohol and sweat seeping from them, told me what caused the fog and memory loss. I wonder just how many ship's security officers would agree with me that sometimes alcohol can be the cause?

Mac

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

I can agree with you, but only to a point. I was born, raised and grew up with a loving BUT strong mother who taught me my whole upbringing,' No matter WHO or HOW they act, you always treat every woman like a lady, with respect. Treat them as you'd hope a man would treat your sister'. After ten years in law enforcement as a uniformed Deputy , I saw men and arrested many, who after way too much liquor were involved in both  took their anger, in both verbal and physical abuse. and ended up spending the night as our guest in the crossbar motel ( jail). Many of these 'guest were still there the next day when I'd come back in for my shift and I'd have to process them before they could make bond.

I was very surprised at how most of them , who stoutly swore they had no memory that they'd done these acts. Perhaps, they had a lasp of memory and 'forgot' them But, the stink of alcohol and sweat seeping from them, told me what caused the fog and memory loss. I wonder just how many ship's security officers would agree with me that sometimes alcohol can be the cause?

Mac

But I am sure it is not going to get them to even consider not selling the drink package!

33 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But I am sure it is not going to get them to even consider not selling the drink package!

Oh, I know because like any business that sells and provides a legal product whose over indulgence can cause extreme aggressiveness the seller merely says, ' ALL who indulge in this product, are 21, and being an adult, we EXPECT them too use common sense and know their limitations'. 

(And, to their credit MOST do)

Mac

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

Oh, I know because like any business that sells and provides a legal product whose over indulgence can cause extreme aggressiveness the seller merely says, ' ALL who indulge in this product, are 21, and being an adult, we EXPECT them too use common sense and know their limitations'. 

(And, to their credit MOST do)

Mac

Are you saying no bar has ever been sued when an obviously drunk patron after leaving drives his or her car and causes a major accident?