What the food like in the Britannia Restaurant?

Ocean Mouse

Just back from two weeks on P&O Ventura where the food was pretty mediocre. Fewer choices than our cruises before Covid and at times little better than school meals. As for the cheese board.......

As Cunard is also part of Carnival I wondered if the "cheese paring" is also in evidence for the ordinary passenger with Cunard, could not aspire to the Grills

14 minutes ago, Ocean Mouse said:

Just back from two weeks on P&O Ventura where the food was pretty mediocre. Fewer choices than our cruises before Covid and at times little better than school meals. As for the cheese board.......

As Cunard is also part of Carnival I wondered if the "cheese paring" is also in evidence for the ordinary passenger with Cunard, could not aspire to the Grills

There is an excellent proper cheese trolley in BC, together with accompanying sundries, served table side, but not in Britannia where it was pre-plated.

Additional.

In BC there is the tradition of table side flambé by HW.  BC can be considered a pre-Grills dining experience with an additional upgraded menu.  Also one’s table in BC is 100% dedicated for the duration of Voyage, available to diners at anytime during opening time, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The service is excellent, on a par, sometimes better, than Grills.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Additional
  • Like 1

Being owner by the same company has nothing to do with anything, each brand is different with cost per meal and menu options varying. 
I would also say that opinions on food vary widely, but there is an element of you pay for what you get. 
I have been cruising for decades and the quality has declined along with the cost of cruising, I was also pretty shocked at how mediocre the food was on Disney which is actually a cruiseline that is premium priced. What used to be standard on cruiselines like Princess are no longer.

On the other hand, cruising is much more affordable with more price points.

I think a lot of what people think is very good no longer works for me. It’s just too subjective to give you a response without knowing what kind of dining you prefer in real life.

I am not a big fan of Britannia but most people on this board are, and who am I to disagree?

2 hours ago, Ocean Mouse said:

An idea of a BC Cheese Trolley 

C275C725-36B2-403E-9458-116EE3B82771.jpeg

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

There is an excellent proper cheese trolley in BC, together with accompanying sundries, served table side, but not in Britannia where it was pre-plated.

Additional.

In BC there is the tradition of table side flambé by HW.  BC can be considered a pre-Grills dining experience with an additional upgraded menu.  Also one’s table in BC is 100% dedicated for the duration of Voyage, available to diners at anytime during opening time, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The service is excellent, on a par, sometimes better, than Grills.

The question was asked about the Britannia dining room not the BC or above. Food is very subjective and one persons feast is another's disaster. You will not go hungry.

Mrs Bear only needed to avail herself of the 'always available' entree once for our 26 night sailing. Most of the time there was at least one suitable choice for omnivores. Ou vegetarian table mate's choices were much more restricted.

Overall there seemed to be one less choice at dinner time in the published menus.

There was an oddity with something called 'lobster bisque' - a bowl of hot liquid placed on the table that was almost entirely unlike anything resembling lobster bisque. The one experimental spoonful tasted of mixed fish & beef stock - there _may_ have been some taste of shellfish, but it was not worth exploring further.

We often ordered the 'always available' tomato soup choice.

20 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

The question was asked about the Britannia dining room not the BC or above. Food is very subjective and one persons feast is another's disaster. You will not go hungry.

Sorry, one was joining the Cheese Trolley conversation, as one thought this was a real concern of the OP if not in Grills.  Then highlighting other benefits of Britannia Club

Agree, the OP will always find something to order in Britannia Restaurant, taking Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately not like that in PG last week so I doubt BC will be like that. It was just bought to you on a tray on a trolley.

Thank you…. It appears so may things that made Cunard “special” are disappearing.

To assist the OP, how was the cheese selection presented, as this could be identical to BC?

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Additional

9 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Thank you…. It appears so may things that made Cunard “special” are disappearing.

To assist the OP, how was the cheese selection presented?

In PG it was just bought to you on a trolley on a tray. There was a good selection but unfortunately the waiter didn't know what the cheeses were they were written on a piece of paper on tray. There was one or two little  "special" things that have changed since our last cruise on PG. The one that upset "er indoors" the most was hot chocolate in grills lounge. Last year it was served in a pot with little dishes of cream, marshmallows and chocolate flakes. Recently there was no cream and chocolate flakes have been replaced with chocolate flavour "hundred and thousands" the sort you put on cakes. Also on more than one occasion we just got mugs of hot chocolate. There were also other changes the choice and quality of meals at lunch in dining room was not as good as previous.

Edited by majortom10

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

In PG it was just bought to you on a trolley on a tray. There was a good selection but unfortunately the waiter didn't know what the cheeses were they were written on a piece of paper on tray. There one or two little  "special" things that have changed since our last cruise on PG. The one that upset er indoors the most was hot chocolate on grills lounge. Last year it was served in a pot with little dishes of cream, marshmallows and chocolate flakes. Recently there was no cream and chocolate flakes have been replaced with chocolate flavour "hundred and thousands" the sort you out on cakes. Also on more than one occasion we just got mugs of hot chocolate. There were also other changes the choice and quality of meals at lunch in dining room was not as good as previous.

It appears Grills are paying even more than previously, but getting so much less.  
Seems the small touches of Cunard quality are vanishing from Grills.

I spent 12 nights on QV recently in Britannia and was very happy with the food. I did notice a couple of repeats which is unusual. Also no Waldorf salad or apple strudel which was a bit disappointing. 

My next cruise is on Ventura in February. EEEK!

Edited by Lanky Lad

28 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

It appears Grills are paying even more than previously, but getting so much less.  

Don't know about a blanket ''Grills' comment, but unless things have changed, they still had the domed cheese cart in QG in August. 

9 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I spent 12 nights on QV recently in Britannia and was very happy with the food. I did notice a couple of repeats which is unusual. Also no Waldorf salad or apple strudel which was a bit disappointing. 

We were on same cruise and were very happy with food in PG in the evening but was disappointed with lunch. Noticed a few changes for the worse compared to same cruise last year albeit on QE due to late change.

12 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Our next cruise is on Iona in March which I am really looking forward too.

Just disembarked from the QM2 today (in fact, sitting in LaGuardia waiting for my flight), and I can confirm that the photo of the cheese trolley was exactly what was in use during this journey. Normally, a choice of 5 different cheeses, and my waiter was able to explain the differences between the cheeses.  I don’t have a very sophisticated knowledge of cheese, and prefer only mild ones.  My waiter did a good job of helping me select.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just think of what people will be getting served in 20 years - while they think back to the good old days of 2022 when dining in the Grills was a special experience.   

Perhaps it is a good thing that human life spans are limited.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately not like that in PG last week so I doubt BC will be like that. It was just bought to you on a tray on a trolley.

Sorry I have to disagree with you ! I've completed my last two cruises in BC ( June 5th & October 30th 2022)  a cheese Trolley 'identical that' was brought to my table almost every other evening in BC .

A cheese trolley in PG  QE  ( October 2021) also brought to the table.     

1 hour ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

Just disembarked from the QM2 today (in fact, sitting in LaGuardia waiting for my flight), and I can confirm that the photo of the cheese trolley was exactly what was in use during this journey. Normally, a choice of 5 different cheeses, and my waiter was able to explain the differences between the cheeses.  I don’t have a very sophisticated knowledge of cheese, and prefer only mild ones.  My waiter did a good job of helping me select.

Have to agree with you , It was exactly the same Trolley and service delivery in Britannia Club (Q.Vic) on 30th October ( and previously 5th June 2022) 

I'd be the first to complain if it wasn't  !  

We were on QV in Brittania MDR and can honestly say we never had a bad meal, in fact I would go as far as to say it was as good or better as anything we have had in a good restaurant on land. Go with and open mind and a healthy appetite. I managed 3 courses every night and the scales confirmed it when we got back home lol 😆 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

Sorry I have to disagree with you ! I've completed my last two cruises in BC ( June 5th & October 30th 2022)  a cheese Trolley 'identical that' was brought to my table almost every other evening in BC .

A cheese trolley in PG  QE  ( October 2021) also brought to the table.     

Well I have to disagree with you that on QV on 30th October - 11th Nov in PG the cheese board was bought to your table on a tray which was on a trolley and not as the photograph shown by Port Royal. I should know I had it bought to my table every evening. If you read my post correctly I stated "In PG it was just bought to you on a trolley on a tray".

Edited by majortom10

11 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

For both the main Britannia as well as BC, are negative changes lately reduction of choices, reduction of quality, shrinking portions?
Any or all of the above?

For frame of reference last travelled BC on QM2 in 2018.

Or possibly rose-coloured spectacles?

13 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

For both the main Britannia as well as BC, are negative changes lately reduction of choices, reduction of quality, shrinking portions?
Any or all of the above?

For frame of reference last travelled BC on QM2 in 2018.

Well I can only talk about our recent cruise on QV in PG when for lunch one day was on the menu as breaded plaice fillet, garden peas and chips. The fish was no more than 2 fish fingers mushy peas and the sum total of 6 chips. Very disappointing and not what I expected for a lunch in PG and for the money paid. We both felt that there was a definite reduction in quality and shrinking portions for lunch compared to our cruise last year in PG.

Edited by majortom10

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Well I have to disagree with you that on QV on 30th October - 11th Nov in PG the cheese board was bought to your table on a tray which was on a trolley and not as the photograph shown by Port Royal. I should know I had it bought to my table every evening. If you read my post correctly I stated "In PG it was just bought to you on a trolley on a tray".

Still have to disagree with you, ( I'm referring to your post 9 -  referring to the photo provided by Port Royal you stated that you "Doubt BC will be like that")   I confirm that exact trolley ! with the double 'Domed shaped Perspex covering'  was brought to my table in Britannia Club on 5th June & 30th October Queen Victoria 2022.   I am retuning back onboard Q .Vic next month 11th December and will endeavour to provide a photo .   

• Thanks 1