Port Everglades closed

Tom-n-Cheryl

We are on the Reflection and were supposed to departure 4:00 p.m. It's 7:00 p.m. and we're still here.

The captain just came on and said that due to the weather conditions, the Coast Guard has closed the port. No idea when we will be leaving.

• Thanks 1

We got stuck at Tampa (fog) on Horizon on embarkation day many years ago. We ended up leaving the port the next morning and we lost Grand Cayman when our itinerary was adjusted as a result. 

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, janbear said:

We are on Beyond at Port Everglades and we didn't make it out either. The weather doesn't even look that bad!

I don't know if this is the correct reason, but someone asked on PTZ twitter (the port webcam people) why it closed and someone else answered "Really bad weather that was making departures with pilots extremely hazardous for the pilots.."  Sounds feasible to me - I'm such a klutz I can't imagine climbing that ladder from the pilot boat even when its calm lol 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

I don't know if this is the correct reason, but someone asked on PTZ twitter (the port webcam people) why it closed and someone else answered "Really bad weather that was making departures with pilots extremely hazardous for the pilots.."  Sounds feasible to me - I'm such a klutz I can't imagine climbing that ladder from the pilot boat even when its calm lol 😉

We'll, with what they get paid though... !

Not good, when you look forward to the destinations. It wouldn´t bother me at all though- as long as I am on board, safe and sound and enjoying the late night departure.

Happend in New York on the QM2 years ago- there was an oil spill on the pier while the ship took on fuel. So the departure was delayd some 6 or so hours. The nighttime departure leaving the NY Skyline behind was nothing short of magnificent!

• Like 3

I am currently in Fort Lauderdale as I will (hopefully) embark Celebrity Edge tomorrow. I recognized that all ships were in port at 4:30pm. They had updated times on the port schedule, it seems they have again been updated to a later departure. Beyond was scheduled to sail first, now the only ship afaik is Harmony of the Seas that departed.

I hope all ships can leave soon and catch up. Missing a port is not how you want to start your cruise vacation!

OT: Even if I don‘t like a port I prefer it most of the time over a sea day. Why?

Because people leave the ship in every port and so the ship is less crowded than on sea days. 

Crossing my thumbs for those cruisers that the port will open asap.

• Like 1

We flew to Miami this morning to board the Carnival Celebration tomorrow. The flight from NYC had turbulence in several areas and landing in MIA was tentative and it was apparent that it was delayed about 30 minutes as we went up and down approaching MIA. It's been raining all afternoon and night here in Miami. We were going to go out of our downtown Miami hotel for dinner but as left the hotel entrance and saw the pouring rain we turned right around, had a drink in the hotel bar, and then ordered pizza to be delivered to the hotel. I've never seen it so dark and gloomy in Miami; the cloud cover was so low all afternoon. 

Edited by kwokpot