Tipping

Kahawali

18 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

No one has to “silently grin and bear it”..they’re not held hostage or indentured servitude are they??

same as me; I wouldn’t scream blue-murder, I’d just find other employment, simple as that.

if you can’t find other employment; well, that might be a *you* problem that you should try to fix first 

YIKES!  Please share that with the staff when you withhold tips on your next cruise. I'm sure they will appreciate your insight.  Especially because abundant opportunities exist in their home countries.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:25 PM, Astro Flyer said:

And that $10 comes from someone who posts she only sails in suites & minisuites while continuing to rationalize why she does it…cheap!!! 🙄

I pay 4 times more then most passengers and do I get 4 times the service from entertainment? How about revenue departments? Does the dining crew give me four times the food or service? I paid enough and am being gouged because I can afford it! When I go to the supermarket I never tell the cashier to disregard the sale price and charge me the full price because I can afford it. It is my belief $10 PP PD is fair.

It is discretionary so Princess doesn't mind because it's a suggestion and the people who are so judgmental can't agree to disagree , not very kind indeed. People who call others names because they have a different opinion aren't fair people . All opinions are solicited on a public board and I'm entitled to mine.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's still an expectation that crew appreciation will be paid in the Australian/NZ market.

I've only been on 2 HAL cruises: Alaska and Norway. Each time we were led to believe that the crew appreciation payments were designed (in addition to the obvious) to remove any "tipping discomfort" for those unused to tipping in general. We willingly and gladly made those payments. We paid no further tips onboard.

We also came to understand that the greatest incentive for the crew to provide exceptional service was for their "customers" to provide positive reviews so they may be selected for future contracts.

Doing a Princess cruise in February. We will be taking the same approach.

20 hours ago, justafem said:

It always amazes me that people are so worried about how others spend their money, they're willing to become online bullies, name calling, belittling and shaming.

Gratuities are optional on most lines.  Cruise lines know a certain percentage are going to remove those gratuities, while the majority will pay them.  

Gratuities are shared fleet-wide.  That means in markets such as Australia, where tips are not customarily given, those crew members also receive part of the tip pool.  

It used to be that if pax removed gratuities, cash tips were required to be handed in.  Since the change to fleet-wide, that's no longer the case.  All cash tips are kept by the person they were given to.  

Talk to the crew, they are a wealth of information.  If they are uncomfortable with a topic, they'll tell you.  

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I pay 4 times more then most passengers and do I get 4 times the service from entertainment? How about revenue departments? Does the dining crew give me four times the food or service? I paid enough and am being gouged because I can afford it! 

Nice try but no one is asking you to pay more but it's your sole decison to pay less with the same expectations in service as those paying a standard.  You can't spin what you already admitted. The staff didn't ask you to spend all your money on other things as you are asking them to accept less .....period. Only you would claim to be gouged while claiming to spend 4 times more by choice. Makes no sense ....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I pay 4 times more then most passengers and do I get 4 times the service from entertainment? How about revenue departments? Does the dining crew give me four times the food or service? I paid enough and am being gouged because I can afford it! When I go to the supermarket I never tell the cashier to disregard the sale price and charge me the full price because I can afford it. It is my belief $10 PP PD is fair.

It is discretionary so Princess doesn't mind because it's a suggestion and the people who are so judgmental can't agree to disagree , not very kind indeed. People who call others names because they have a different opinion aren't fair people . All opinions are solicited on a public board and I'm entitled to mine.

I think you need to separate that even though you pay 4x for your cabin - that money is not going to crew who get paid via tipping. Different payment and revenue streams. Like a restaurant in town, when you pay for a meal - the meal money doesn't go to the server. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Galesa said:

We also came to understand that the greatest incentive for the crew to provide exceptional service was for their "customers" to provide positive reviews so they may be selected for future contracts.

We have always been consistently told by the crew that the one thing that is really beneficial to them is to be mentioned in a follow-up survey or letter for exceptional service.  This helps them get their next contract which is what they really strive and hope for.

I doubt the big tippers in this thread are as benevolent as they say they are because their attitude sure would suggest otherwise on CC.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

We have always been consistently told by the crew that the one thing that is really beneficial to them is to be mentioned in a follow-up survey or letter for exceptional service.  This helps them get their next contract which is what they really strive and hope for.

I doubt the big tippers in this thread are as benevolent as they say they are because their attitude sure would suggest otherwise on CC.

I would add that it also helps them get promotions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I think you need to separate that even though you pay 4x for your cabin - that money is not going to crew who get paid via tipping. Different payment and revenue streams. Like a restaurant in town, when you pay for a meal - the meal money doesn't go to the server. 

Pax pay for everything.  All of it.  So higher cruise fare does actually pay more towards everything. 

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Some of us fill out the survey AND tip standard ..... crazy idea isn't it? You can do both if you care so much .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Some of us fill out the survey AND tip standard ..... crazy idea isn't it? You can do both if you care so much .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

While I agree naming exceptional crew members on surveys is always a good thing - Princess is hurting for crew and have had to delay re-launching ships due to not having enough crew. I don't think any crew are having problems signing up for their next contract.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

You are entitled to your opinion.  You are not entitled to acceptance.  

Out of curiosity, how does your $10 pp/day compare to the suggested daily gratuity for your cabin status?  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

You are entitled to your opinion.  You are not entitled to acceptance.  

Out of curiosity, how does your $10 pp/day compare to the suggested daily gratuity for your cabin status?  

Suites has a standard rate of $16.50 per day.   

Which, by the way, will include/but not limited to, and may not all be related to crew incentives:

* a mini bar for the suite; in addition to being Elite/delivered by room service

* same day laundry; in by 9 am out by 9 pm….which the steward does the extra work.

* the wait staff at the suite breakfast; including the coffee barista

* the florist who took care of the orchid plant and/or floral arrangements 

* cleaning a cabin that is twice the size of a standard cabin

* changing bed linens daily

* delivering bottled water daily

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Suites has a standard rate of $16.50 per day.   

Which, by the way, will include/but not limited to, and may not all be related to crew incentives:

* a mini bar for the suite; in addition to being Elite/delivered by room service

* same day laundry; in by 9 am out by 9 pm….which the steward does the extra work.

* the wait staff at the suite breakfast; including the coffee barista

* the florist who took care of the orchid plant and/or floral arrangements 

* cleaning a cabin that is twice the size of a standard cabin

* changing bed linens daily

* delivering bottled water daily

Thanks.  I knew the suite rate but don't know how many people they are tipping out at $10/person/day.  Assuming it is more than one, it sounds like they are already tipping out more than the standard daily gratuity.  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  I knew the suite rate but don't know how many people they are tipping out at $10/person/day.  Assuming it is more than one, it sounds like they are already tipping out more than the standard daily gratuity.  

There are four levels of passengers:

1.  Those that remove crew appreciation all together.

2.  Those that reduce crew appreciation.

3.  Those that leave crew appreciation (including the ones that have the beverage packages)

4.  Those that leave the crew appreciation and tip above to individuals.  

It's as simple as that.  It is my opinion, not backed by any scientific/mathematical survey, that the majority of the passengers fall into level 3 followed by passengers in level 4.  I would like to think (hope) that levels one and two are outliers.  

Nothing will change the thinking to any one of these levels.  I know where I fall.  That's all that matters.

...not sure what you mean by "tipping out".  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

3.  Those that leave crew appreciation (including the ones that have the beverage packages)

It's as simple as that.  It is my opinion, not backed by any scientific/mathematical survey, that the majority of the passengers fall into level 3 followed by passengers in level 4.  I would like to think (hope) that levels one and two are outliers.  

Nothing will change the thinking to any one of these levels.  I know where I fall.  That's all that matters.

I meant tipping.  If they leave $10 daily to three people, they are tipping more than the expected daily gratuity.   In that case it would not be a case of just being cheap. 

I think (hope) the same thing as you.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I meant tipping.  If they leave $10 daily to three people, they are tipping more than the expected daily gratuity.   In that case it would not be a case of just being cheap. 

I think (hope) the same thing as you.   

I'm sorry, I still don't understand your "tipping".  It's not you, I need to have it pretty basic for me to understand.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The 75% of passengers that Princess expects to book the Plus or Premier rates do not have option 1 or option 2 available to them.

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And by having it a daily service charge added to your folio instead of the envelope system, it is easier for all levels except level 1 who could have just not left any envelopes but now have to go to the purser's desk to have the tips removed.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

The 75% of passengers that Princess expects to book the Plus or Premier rates do not have option 1 or option 2 available to them.

This is one benefit of Princess Plus/Premier. If people book this, it is assured that tips will be paid. 

This was one wise decision by Princess IMO.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Daily gratuities are included in the packages you mention.  If someone does not want to pay the expected gratuities, they shouldn't buy the package.   There are other packages for drinks and wifi, that do not include gratuities.  So, I guess those 75% are deciding not to do options 1 or 2.  Hope the remaining 25% do the same.