Ugh! Called for Federal Jury Duty

pamkev

35 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Jury duty is a privilege. Ask for a postponement, but be happy when you can serve. 

I would be willing to serve another time and I will let them know that when I request postponement 

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

All you have to tell them is you have a non refundable vacation all ready planned and paid for and they will let you off and throw your name back into the pool for a later date.

Thanks letter is written and will sent tomorrow along with reservation printed from Royal. I booked though a travel agent so if thy want that invoice also I can send that also with showing paid in full 

• Like 2

The attitude here is appalling.  I’ll just pretend to be a right/left wing gun toting, they’re all guilty type.  No one will select me and that part of being a patriotic American can be somebody else’s problem.  So much for the right to be judged by a jury of your peers.  Wait, maybe I don’t want people who would do that on a jury.

• Like 4

I have two relevant experiences. 

The first time I was called for jury duty, I was in nursing school.  I was granted a postponement until after the semester/graduation was over. 

When I got called back that summer, I was actually seated on the jury.  One of the other selected jurors had a planned vacation coming up that she had disclosed during juror selection.  The judge at the time said that he thought that the case would be over in time for her to go on her vacation, and promised to release her if the case dragged on past that time, as they had alternates available (14 jurors were selected for a 12-person jury).  

After the case was heard, they picked two numbers out of a jar and those were the alternate jurors -- mine was one of the numbers picked, so I left at that time. This was mid-afternoon on a Friday.  The jury deliberated for a couple hours, then returned on Monday and by the end of the day still had not come to a unanimous verdict.  The vacationing juror had to leave, so they called me to come back in on Tuesday morning for jury deliberations. 

With an alternate being brought in, the other jurors were instructed that they had to "throw out" all the conversations they'd had in deliberations so far and start over fresh with me there.  It took most of the day, but we decided on guilty of second degree murder (it was an open murder charge, so we got to decide between first and second degree). 

After the trial, I learned some information that the prosecution wasn't allowed to bring up during the trial... like the fact that the defendant had a previous conviction of domestic violence to which he had pled guilty.  

Long story short, I've been granted a postponement for a valid reason (college classes), and I've seen someone be allowed to leave because of a pre-planned vacation.  No way would I try for the whole "give an outrageous answer to be thrown out by both attorneys" angle.  If you're willing to postpone, but still do your civic duty, the courts are likely to be willing to work with you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, poocher said:

The attitude here is appalling.  I’ll just pretend to be a right/left wing gun toting, they’re all guilty type.  No one will select me and that part of being a patriotic American can be somebody else’s problem.  So much for the right to be judged by a jury of your peers.  Wait, maybe I don’t want people who would do that on a jury.

Chill poocher,  It's called humour. 

Happy Thursday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Jury duty is a privilege. Ask for a postponement, but be happy when you can serve. 

But beware what you wish for.

Friends of ours, both husband and wife got called to serve on juries earlier this year but a couple of months apart.  Both got selected from their  respective pools. Both got murder trails. Both got very gruesome murder trails. The wife is still not back to normal after sitting through her trail. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

Friday is an administrative holiday in most, if not all, Federal courts. You can look it up by googling your circuit. Does your subpoena say Grand Jury?  Unless you have gotten multiple recent deferments, I think that there is no chance this one won't be granted. I'd stop worrying. 

25 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Friday is an administrative holiday in most, if not all, Federal courts. You can look it up by googling your circuit. Does your subpoena say Grand Jury?  Unless you have gotten multiple recent deferments, I think that there is no chance this one won't be granted. I'd stop worrying. 

It just says Federal Jury Duty. I have never asked for a deferment, when called for my local county jury duty I served on a jury. I never did get to finish the trail as the judge called a mistrial due to some improper misconducted by the local DA staff it was a drug case. 

My experience with asking for postponement -- admittedly, none of this is federal.  I've never been called for federal jury duty.

- About two years ago I was called to jury duty during exam week -- teachers just don't miss exam week.  I asked for a postponement and was re-assigned for a week in July.  

- Another teacher at my school was assigned for the very same week.  He also asked for a postponement, and he was denied.  Why?  Because he had previously been assigned and had already been given one postponement.  

- When I went in for my week, they told us that our fairly large county had NO cases going to court that week.  None!  They said few cases actually go to trial any more.  They said most cases end up as plea deals, which don't require juries.  They kept us less than 30 minutes and dismissed us, saying we can't be called again for two years. 

The moral:  If you have a real reason for a postponement, ask for it.  But don't ask just because you don't want to go this month -- you might have a real problem come up later, and they won't give you two postponements in a row.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

3 hours ago, poocher said:

Only a few people said they didn't want to serve. I think many of us would if summoned. It is just inconvenient if it interferes with a fully paid upcoming vacation. A deferral or excused would be better. And we do have experience with a Federal Jury Duty summons. 

I thought my county jury duty was very interesting. An unhomed gentleman was pleasuring himself in a public laundromat while people were doing their laundry. The police were called. When he was arrested, he was also found to be in possession of a green leafy substance resembling marijuana and paraphernalia. It was before legality, and I thought the testimony was quite fascinating. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My experience with asking for postponement -- admittedly, none of this is federal.  I've never been called for federal jury duty.

- About two years ago I was called to jury duty during exam week -- teachers just don't miss exam week.  I asked for a postponement and was re-assigned for a week in July.  

- Another teacher at my school was assigned for the very same week.  He also asked for a postponement, and he was denied.  Why?  Because he had previously been assigned and had already been given one postponement.  

- When I went in for my week, they told us that our fairly large county had NO cases going to court that week.  None!  They said few cases actually go to trial any more.  They said most cases end up as plea deals, which don't require juries.  They kept us less than 30 minutes and dismissed us, saying we can't be called again for two years. 

The moral:  If you have a real reason for a postponement, ask for it.  But don't ask just because you don't want to go this month -- you might have a real problem come up later, and they won't give you two postponements in a row.  

Normally that's why in our county (and most I thought) you call the night before and there is a recording stating which jury groups are required to report.  Sometimes it's none, sometimes it's all and sometimes it's some.  DH and I both have called in several times only to be told our number didn't need to report in.  

Just now, BND said:

Normally that's why in our county (and most I thought) you call the night before and there is a recording stating which jury groups are required to report.  Sometimes it's none, sometimes it's all and sometimes it's some.  DH and I both have called in several times only to be told our number didn't need to report in.  

My daughter had jury duty earlier this year; and, yes, this is exactly what she was told to do.  In the end, she didn't have to come in -- but I think she had to call two mornings in a row.  This system wasn't in place when I was called last.  

I said it was two years ago, but -- now that I think about it -- I think it might've been more like five years ago.  The other teacher who was called this week has been gone from our school for some time.  Time isn't my strong point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, renza said:

I was called in 3 years in a row. Even during Covid. Literally a year to date after having to go. They never pick me, I State my husband is an officer. They are all guilty in my eyes. 

Your's sounds like my Dad, kept getting Cases every time County and Federal. They asked me once in mid-80's, I was deployed, let them know and never called me again. Though I did keep getting notifications I'd never registered for Selective Service(US Military). Ah sorry been serving long before I turned 18.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Tell them you support “jury nullification” (a guaranteed right) and both sides will cut you out the first day.

Kind of along those same lines:

"Some people try to get out of jury duty by lying. You don't have to lie. Tell the judge the truth. Tell him you'd make a terrific juror because you can spot guilty people [snaps fingers] just like that!“ —  George Carlin What Am I Doing in New Jersey? (1988)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Kind of along those same lines:

"Some people try to get out of jury duty by lying. You don't have to lie. Tell the judge the truth. Tell him you'd make a terrific juror because you can spot guilty people [snaps fingers] just like that!“ —  George Carlin What Am I Doing in New Jersey? (1988)

Or "If the police arrested them, they must be guilty".   My in-laws started using their age and health in their 60's.  They were healthy enough and MIL lived to be 89 and FIL to 87.   My DH has served on a couple of jurys.  On a second degree murder/DUI (vehicular) he was the foreman and on a motorcyle reckless driving one (guy was going over 100 mph in a 65 mph zone on a toll road) and trying to evade police.    Both were found guilty.  

Edited by BND

22 hours ago, pamkev said:

Got my mail and was called for Federal Jury Duty starting the week of Dec 23 for 5 weeks we leave Jan 13 for a 11 night cruise. Will call them Monday hopefully I can postpone it or let me do the first 3 weeks. 

If you have a planned time away, you can get out of it. They might want proof, just show them your itinerary. This happened to friends of ours, a short trip to the courthouse took care of it!

In my experience having served on 3 criminal trials (not federal) and sitting in the courtroom for another jury selection process is that the courts have been very understanding in excusing or granting postponments for jurors who have legitimate issues.  Health rated, child care, financial & pre paid travel are some examples that I've never seen denied.

What I've never witnessed during jury selection when questioned by the judge or the attorneys in a court of law is anyone saying outrageous things to get automatically rejected.  I've known plenty of people say how they'd never get picked because of the bravado and boldness they'd show by saying something like "just looking at the defendant I know they're guilty" or something like that.  In my experience that only happens outside of the courtroom or on a message board.

• Like 3

I've sat on two juries with officers dressed in uniform. During the selection, the judge has asked something like; "Can you set aside your person experience and make a decision based on the facts of this case?".   - In both these cases, I felt the officers followed the laws.

BTW: I'm not an attorney, but I like one in my career.