Fjords: Cunard v P&O

buchanan101

We did the fjords on QV in August and can highly recommend.

We just did a balcony in Brittania class and you can read my review in the QV reviews section of CC.

Never fancied P&O, did look at it but couldnt cope with monsters like Brittania and Iona not for us plus they seemed to be subject to cancellations of ports very regularly for 'operational reasons'  and this put us off. 

Whatever grade you choose on Cunard you will have a super time. 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
typo

15 minutes ago, shippmates said:

I know this is not an aft balcony but I have my concerns about cabin 8118 on QM2.  This is a sheltered cabin and now I am worried about the noise from above.  Has anyone stayed this cabin or one close to it and can tell me how noisy it is?

You should have a standard QG cabin above you - probably around 9066 - you aren't far enough back to have open deck above.  Look at where you are relative to the rear lifts

You did say QM2?  Seems that you are behind the lifeboats but guessing you have the lift raft barrels in front of you

I think conversations have been about deck 8 club cabins on QV having noise above...?

image.png.43d0e9504274ac8e58e355be4b48663d.png

image.png.317e6c2160b5ef567070a26bbe42f096.png

Edited by buchanan101

35 minutes ago, shippmates said:

I know this is not an aft balcony but I have my concerns about cabin 8118 on QM2.  This is a sheltered cabin and now I am worried about the noise from above.  Has anyone stayed this cabin or one close to it and can tell me how noisy it is?

QM2 'sheltered' balcony rooms are on decks 4, 5 & 6

Balconies on 8 and higher are glass fronted, not sheltered. Below your room is Kings Court - the section that is turned into the roaring menu alternative dining venue. 

3 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

QM2 'sheltered' balcony rooms are on decks 4, 5 & 6

Balconies on 8 and higher are glass fronted, not sheltered. Below your room is Kings Court - the section that is turned into the roaring menu alternative dining venue. 

He may mean "restricted view" perhaps?

9 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

And I didn't notice that autocorrupt changed 'rotating' to roaring

The view should not be restricted - just a bit of SOLAS orange to the right of the balcony.

I was hoping there were a few pet lions aboard. 😀To go with the Captain’s Tiger.

Agree with all here, just book Cunard for this itinary.     We've been on full other ships of same class as P&O Brittania (Sky Princess) and others have said, at 50% on those sailings, they felt busier than Cunard at 100% (Iona may be better however).     For the fjords we have booked QV ourselves next summer and are taking my parents along for their first cruise.     We chose this purely as the thing putting my parents off booking P&O (or any cruise) was the complexity of the dining, Cunard with their single dining room per class and only one "at cost" addition is simpler, and more suited to their love of simplicity.   Agree with other posters that whatever booking you make you should have a great time on Cunard, as although Queens Grill/Princess are excellent, personally we perfer to sail multiple times a year in Britannia versus less times in suite class now..

It may also be worth checking recent vlogs on youtube and reviews for recent experiences on P&O -> the staffing levels last few months on some ships have been under normal levels, and 1 hour virtual queues for MDR have made us actual pause considering booking to try their new ship class (we'll probably book late next year when we see some reviews).    Waiting around for dinner rather than having a resturarant with your own table is a major class differentiator, and may well be worth the money paid (Time has significant value to this couple).  

Remember even in Britannia class on Cunard you can choose to eat on a fixed time so you just walk into your own allocated seat at that time every night with the same waitstaff.   Personally we prefer this so the actual class of the booking is less important than the cruiseline.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, starquake said:

Agree with all here, just book Cunard for this itinary.     We've been on full other ships of same class as P&O Brittania (Sky Princess) and others have said, at 50% on those sailings, they felt busier than Cunard at 100% (Iona may be better however).     For the fjords we have booked QV ourselves next summer and are taking my parents along for their first cruise.     We chose this purely as the thing putting my parents off booking P&O (or any cruise) was the complexity of the dining, Cunard with their single dining room per class and only one "at cost" addition is simpler, and more suited to their love of simplicity.   Agree with other posters that whatever booking you make you should have a great time on Cunard, as although Queens Grill/Princess are excellent, personally we perfer to sail multiple times a year in Britannia versus less times in suite class now..

It may also be worth checking recent vlogs on youtube and reviews for recent experiences on P&O -> the staffing levels last few months on some ships have been under normal levels, and 1 hour virtual queues for MDR have made us actual pause considering booking to try their new ship class (we'll probably book late next year when we see some reviews).    Waiting around for dinner rather than having a resturarant with your own table is a major class differentiator, and may well be worth the money paid (Time has significant value to this couple).  

Remember even in Britannia class on Cunard you can choose to eat on a fixed time so you just walk into your own allocated seat at that time every night with the same waitstaff.   Personally we prefer this so the actual class of the booking is less important than the cruiseline.

The Britannia Club dining room on QV looks fantastic.  BC prices seem to vary the most of any; sometimes not far off PG (so not worth it), sometimes much cheaper so would consider as an alternative to grills. 

Iona looks horrid - and over 5000 passengers  -  and I’m really not sure about the P&O livery with that Union Flag on the bow…not that it matters when on board. 

Edited by buchanan101

Well... seems like QV isn't doing the fjords in 2024, so it's over to QA

PG from £2699pp and QG from £3499 so prices no higher than 2023. I think I will be looking at that one; in P2 (no point going P1) or Q5 at the stern (there are 8 x Q6 right at the front, high - presumably those are the £3499)

Looking at the June cruise which seems to be the only one on offer on QA. QM2 doing a couple.

QV is in the med. Nothing for QE as yet...

Just seen this...how does this count as "Norweigian Fjords". No good to us, we are off to Oslo next June to see Springsteen, no need to go again 😉

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/M415/M415

Fjords seem under-served in 2024, unless QE is doing any

Edited by buchanan101

6 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Well... seems like QV isn't doing the fjords in 2024, so it's over to QA

PG from £2699pp and QG from £3499 so prices no higher than 2023. I think I will be looking at that one; in P2 (no point going P1) or Q5 at the stern (there are 8 x Q6 right at the front, high - presumably those are the £3499)

Looking at the June cruise which seems to be the only one on offer on QA. QM2 doing a couple.

QV is in the med. Nothing for QE as yet...

Just seen this...how does this count as "Norweigian Fjords". No good to us, we are off to Oslo next June to see Springsteen, no need to go again 😉

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/M415/M415

Fjords seem under-served in 2024, unless QE is doing any

Don't think you will see QE in Southampton for summer 2024 rumour has it she will be in Alaska.

Back to the fjords again.  QA is going to Flamm, and my mother highly recommends the railway.

What are places like Flamm like when 3000 passengers descend? Sounds like it might be a touch crowded (do the 5000 passenger monsters do the fjords?)

Am considering PG minimum (I know some on here won't recommend that on QV or QA) or even QG; do these grades help with booking excursions in overcrowded Norwegian villages - obviously want to do the railway

The other stop in the heart of the fjords for the June 24 QA trip is Olden. Are Flam and Olden good choices (later QA cruises go elsewhere)

36 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Back to the fjords again.  QA is going to Flamm, and my mother highly recommends the railway.

What are places like Flamm like when 3000 passengers descend? Sounds like it might be a touch crowded (do the 5000 passenger monsters do the fjords?)

Am considering PG minimum (I know some on here won't recommend that on QV or QA) or even QG; do these grades help with booking excursions in overcrowded Norwegian villages - obviously want to do the railway

The other stop in the heart of the fjords for the June 24 QA trip is Olden. Are Flam and Olden good choices (later QA cruises go elsewhere)

We have ''done'' around six  7/8 day Fjord trips over the years. Each one has been special even with repeated calls.

We have been there when other ships have been anchored in Flam and didn't notice a problem.

The obvious first timer trip for the Flam call is the railway, Having done it once, we're glad we did it but have never bothered with it again. Guarantee a trip and book it with Cunard to go with the herd, or book it yourself for a cheaper price but still go with the herd.

Olden is pretty but no more so than other Fjord calls. My favourite stop is Geirangerfjord. Picture book pretty.

Booking QG/PG gives no priority for booking excursions. The only advantage could  be if booking with the Grill's Concierge just might beat any line up at the excursion desk.

32 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have ''done'' around six  7/8 day Fjord trips over the years. Each one has been special even with repeated calls.

We have been there when other ships have been anchored in Flam and didn't notice a problem.

The obvious first timer trip for the Flam call is the railway, Having done it once, we're glad we did it but have never bothered with it again. Guarantee a trip and book it with Cunard to go with the herd, or book it yourself for a cheaper price but still go with the herd.

Olden is pretty but no more so than other Fjord calls. My favourite stop is Geirangerfjord. Picture book pretty.

Booking QG/PG gives no priority for booking excursions. The only advantage could  be if booking with the Grill's Concierge just might beat any line up at the excursion desk.

Thank you. 

Yes most cruises seem to do Geirangerfjord. The 7 day cruises only seem to do two high sided fjords. (The one I am looking at has Bergen and Haugesund to book end the other stops)

Interesting that crowds don't seem to be as much of an issue as I'd have thought; I have seen Youtube videos of CitySightseeing buses turning up in villages when the cruise ships are in

Your comments on excursions are probably as expected: Cunard cost more but guaranteed; concierge may help Grills but (actually, rightly) no priority. I know it's the herd, but I'm doing the railway!

Are Flamm and Olden both non-tender stops (I assume as fjords are deep, quayside moorings are not an issue)

I could book tickets now! £242 round trip on saver tickets... I guess it's Norway! Goodness knows what Cunard would charge?  $600?

image.thumb.png.d48568ac04824fedf0994b009733951a.png

Edited by buchanan101

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

...Are Flamm and Olden both non-tender stops (I assume as fjords are deep, quayside moorings are not an issue)...

Both can be tender as both can be alongside. Depends which ship, if any other there at the same time, has the alongside mooring.

1 hour ago, naturelovergirl said:

I think in Flåm the absolute ideal excursion I would recommend would include all of these- a boat trip into the Nærøyfjord, a coach trip to the Stegastein Viewpont, and the train.

All of them.

That way you would really see a great variety of why Flåm is so special.

In one day, and not miss the boat? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

In one day, and not miss the boat? 

I did say "ideal" of course. 

Hehehe

But

I have heard people talk on different travel forums about taking full-day excursions which have either all of these or at least two of them in the full day package. Note: I would absolutely only do a cruise sponsored excursion if I was to do multiple things so that you are guaranteed back on the ship.

I did enjoy the train very much... but the Nærøyfjord is a UNESCO World Heritage site (So is Geirangerfjord- but both are very different) - and can only be seen via a tourist boat from Flåm... and then the Stegastein Viewpoint is very beautiful and interesting architecturally. 

If I could get a full day excursion that made it possible to see the wonders from the water, the train, and from above, I would see that as a pretty perfect Flåm day.

Still...

If I was to return to Flåm and could only choose one thing to do... I would go into the Nærøyfjord.

I adore the Fjords.

10 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

I did say "ideal" of course. 

Hehehe

But

I have heard people talk on different travel forums about taking full-day excursions which have either all of these or at least two of them in the full day package. Note: I would absolutely only do a cruise sponsored excursion if I was to do multiple things so that you are guaranteed back on the ship.

I did enjoy the train very much... but the Nærøyfjord is a UNESCO World Heritage site (So is Geirangerfjord- but both are very different) - and can only be seen via a tourist boat from Flåm... and then the Stegastein Viewpoint is very beautiful and interesting architecturally. 

If I could get a full day excursion that made it possible to see the wonders from the water, the train, and from above, I would see that as a pretty perfect Flåm day.

Still...

If I was to return to Flåm and could only choose one thing to do... I would go into the Nærøyfjord.

I adore the Fjords.

Was looking at train costs - £224 for advanced return saver tickets for 2.  Can only imagine what Cunard would charge for a combined package... (flex train tickets are something like £160 each return, for a 2 hour train journey....)

...but IS such a package available for train plus one of those other trips? If not, I'll be booking train tickets shortly after I book the cruise next week.  I know it's not until June 2024, but I like to be prepared 😉 . Heck, I just bought Sarah Millican tickets this morning.. for October...2024!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Was looking at train costs - £224 for advanced return saver tickets for 2.  Can only imagine what Cunard would charge for a combined package... (flex train tickets are something like £160 each return, for a 2 hour train journey....)

...but IS such a package available for train plus one of those other trips? If not, I'll be booking train tickets shortly after I book the cruise next week.  I know it's not until June 2024, but I like to be prepared 😉 . Heck, I just bought Sarah Millican tickets this morning.. for October...2024!

I thought three or four months was the earliest you could book train tickets.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought three or four months was the earliest you could book train tickets.

Check the date... that's the date QA is in Flam.

I guess the 11:43 is best; 8:58 a bit early, 14:33 a bit late for return. Do they lay on extra ones when ships are in?

(I fully expect prices to go up when they know what days ships are in: I booked a hotel in Oslo next June before Springsteen tickets were officially on sale - once they were officially, hotel prices doubled...)

image.thumb.png.aa28072dbfef8ed82adc3f35b7bdb399.png

33 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Check the date... that's the date QA is in Flam.

I guess the 11:43 is best; 8:58 a bit early, 14:33 a bit late for return. Do they lay on extra ones when ships are in?

(I fully expect prices to go up when they know what days ships are in: I booked a hotel in Oslo next June before Springsteen tickets were officially on sale - once they were officially, hotel prices doubled...)

I'm with exlondoner     I don't think you can book that far ahead and quite frankly, even if you could, I wouldn't.

That's a lot of money to lose if the ship's itinerary changes.

Edited by Victoria2