I am shocked at the prices for cruises in 2023!

oldmom

For what its worth.  Exterior Room / Port Hole deck 9 for 3 people this Thanksgiving on Harmony ran us about $2800 (with discounts).  Same type ship, Symphony, Thanksgiving 2023, $5600 for equivalent room.  May book with down payment, and price shop til final payment is due in August 2023........

We try to stick with Oasis class ships for our 3 and 7 yr old.

Edited by gizbug

3 minutes ago, gizbug said:

For what its worth.  Exterior Room / Port Hole deck 9 for 3 people this Thanksgiving on Harmony ran us about $2800 (with discounts).  Same type ship, Symphony, Thanksgiving 2023, $5600 for equivalent room.  May book with down payment, and price shop til final payment is due in August 2023........

We try to stick with Oasis class ships for our 3 and 7 yr old.

Ouch! I think many people will book with down payment but possibly shy away from the final deal if it stays at the current price. This is the wild card. How many current bookings decide that the final price is not acceptable and cancel before penalties during the last 120 days.

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The most important reason of all! 😁 Why go on vacation if it leaves you mad at anyone? Sounds like you have a plan for happiness after the vacation. You choose life......😆, smart man.

1 hour ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Wait, did I miss an opportunity to get angry at something here? 😄

Lol his plan was to drink during the cruise so that way it didnt bother him when his wife ordered multiple glasses of wine.

How he plans to not get angry involves booze.

But if a support cobra works better, but he might not make it thru boarding. 

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

But if a support cobra works better, but he might not make it thru boarding. 

To be fair, he admits to possibly be needing a support animal (or reptile, let's not get judgemental).

I have recently read where a support cat was "accidentally" brought onboard an aircraft x-rayed by TSA  in a checked luggage. It is the holidays, people, let's have a bit of compassion.

We all need a shoulder, or warm fur-baby (or cold, dry, slithery skin) to lean on once in a while.

I simply predict lots of people not being able to hit final payment or if they do they won't have any money for another vacation moving forward with the economy going the way it is.

I just keep waiting. Its not like any of the cruise lines are trying to attract people anyways with all of their recent cuts and changes.

4 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

I simply predict lots of people not being able to hit final payment or if they do they won't have any money for another vacation moving forward with the economy going the way it is.

I just keep waiting. Its not like any of the cruise lines are trying to attract people anyways with all of their recent cuts and changes.

Imo most of the people who cruise have savings and can cruise recession or not. I'd bet 99% here have enough savings they can cruise if they want to. I dont like highe prices and complain every time I grocery shop, but it's not a buy food or gas for most posters on here I'd bet. 

Maybe it's a dont book a suite, book a balcony ? Lol

We booked a BW balcony to save costs in 2023 and went with OV for Australia in 2024. Balconies were almost double.  We’ve splurged for a balcony in Alaska in 2023 and it wasn’t cheap in July.  But I found a cheap Allure cruise and Panama was a steal at $102 pp per day although balconies sold out in a week.  

There are deals but they are harder to find. Booking far ahead for the most part seems to be best for us.  

Since we don’t live in Florida, last minute deals are harder to come by.  Flight cost are crazy high. We used to fly round trip for less then $250 pp. It’s now it’s more like $450.   A 20 hour drive just isn’t appealing.  

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Imo most of the people who cruise have savings and can cruise recession or not. I'd bet 99% here have enough savings they can cruise if they want to. I dont like highe prices and complain every time I grocery shop, but it's not a buy food or gas for most posters on here I'd bet. 

Maybe it's a dont book a suite, book a balcony ? Lol

My decision boils down to either bunk with crew or stow away in the liquor locker.

34 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Since we don’t live in Florida, last minute deals are harder to come by.  Flight cost are crazy high. We used to fly round trip for less then $250 pp. It’s now it’s more like $450.   A 20 hour drive just isn’t appealing.  

A bunch of my flights for next year's cruising season are over $600 r/t pp.  Even booking 330 days out!

I just booked a cruise for July 2024 -- I'm fearful for what those prices are going to be.  Probably more than the cruise itself!

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

A bunch of my flights for next year's cruising season are over $600 r/t pp.  Even booking 330 days out!

I just booked a cruise for July 2024 -- I'm fearful for what those prices are going to be.  Probably more than the cruise itself!

No matter what class you fly, prices all seem to have doubled.

My r/t First Class flights from San Diego to FLL flights went from $2500 to almost $4800. But, this is all-in cost for two people and all taxes/fees. I happened to pay for the flights at the lower cost, which was before the cruise lines announced no more Covid testing.

I think that has a lot to do with it. People now had confidence that they could travel with much more ease, and I think demand spiked prices everywhere.

I'd still pay to fly First, but a nice win in this environment, at least for this trip.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Just now, 4-2-N-8 said:

No matter what class you fly, prices all seem to have doubled.

My r/t First Class flights from San Diego to FLL flights went from $2500 to almost $4800. But, this is all-in cost for two people and all taxes/fees. I happened to pay for the flights at the lower cost, which was before the cruise lines announced no more Covid testing.

I think that has a lot to do with it. People now had confidence that they could travel with much more ease, and I think demand spiked prices everywhere.

Yeah it's not a big deal to me -- COVID more than doubled my income, so I expect prices to go up.

I normally book F if I fly with a partner, family or friend, but I have so many SWUs that I just book into Y and hope for upgrade space.  ORD-MIA in F has been really expensive but there are so many seats open T-100.

The increase, and unreliability, of airfare has really changed our travel plans since the start of covid.  We cant avoid flying on our Alaskan cruise next summer, but we the last 3 trips to florida we have driven the 14 hours or taken the autotrain.

We save so much just driving down and back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

If folks start missing final payment and ships are sailing under capacity there will be adjustment to prices and shops will sail full again. 

supply and demand is a wonderful thing. 

1 hour ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

My decision boils down to either bunk with crew or stow away in the liquor locker.

You will need to purchase an Unlimited Beverage Package to stow away in the liquor locker. 😉

You will have to convince them you are a solo stowaway or you must buy two Packages.

• Haha 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You will need to purchase an Unlimited Beverage Package to stow away in the liquor locker. 😉

You will have to convince them you are a solo stowaway or you must buy two Packages.

😅