Bistro Sur La Mer

bigeagle12

18 hours ago, Learningtocruise1 said:

We ate there tonight on Sky.  They said we could get the escargot traditional style, or as on the menu. I got traditional and it was excellent. Ironically, they also brought the fried version to us, then afterwards asked how we liked it. I said nope, prefer traditional.  The sea bass was quite good. The duck just ok. Service was fabulous, but we ate early, 5:45.  The noise from the piazza was not an issue as we were by a window, and the band at that early time was not loud.  I’d book the restaurant again. 

Thanks for posting this, we never thought to ask. We've eaten there a number of times, most recently on the Sky two weeks, and my wife had never thought to ask them for the "old style" escargots. She's not a fan of the crunchy fried version n the menu, but when we're back on the the Sky in February, she will definitely be asking for the original recipe.

We ate there on the Discovery recently and thought it was very good. (Although Mrs. OS would agree that the deep-fried escargot is not as good as the garlic ones sometimes served in the MDR) Here is the menu... I had the lobster bisque. It was baked into a crust, kinda like a pot pie, but it was very good.

I had the sea bass and Mrs. OS had the filet... both very good

As to the location, yes, it's near the piazza, but we were a few tables into the restaurant so that didn't seem to be that big of a deal and the tables seemed to be a little more spaced that the 2-tops in the MDR.

20221114_185037.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed Bistro on Discovery last month. Was seated by the windows, so the Piazza noise wasn't a complete annoyance. 

The food was good - definitely better than my experience at Crown Grill earlier on the cruise. In fact, a few people mentioned that the steak in Bistro was a step above Crown Grill (I had the sea bass, which was best I've had on any ship). 

Service was top notch. Best of any of the specialty restaurants that I tried on that cruise. For example, when I had a tough time deciding between two appetizers, our server offered to bring both. Same with dessert (though, desserts weren't anything to write home about). 

I rebooked for Discovery in a couple of months and I've made Bistro my first dinner for that cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, jwattle said:

We enjoyed it a couple of times on Majestic, and have pre-booked it on Majestic again for our Australia trips; very much looking forward to it!❤️

🤨  we are ?  In that case this time I would like to try the magret de canard, with a nice bottle of pinot,        and  I wanna substitute riz pilaf  for  the creamy polenta . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, c-boy said:

🤨  we are ?  In that case this time I would like to try the magret de canard, with a nice bottle of pinot,        and  I wanna substitute riz pilaf  for  the creamy polenta . 

You're adorable, and you may have whatever you like my love🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

What was/is Share?

Share was a specialty restaurant designed by Curtis Stone that no longer exists on the ships (contract ran out)

I notice someone posted a menu above.

It was set up to encourage a group to order multiple items then share them.

People seemed to be fairly polarized on their opinions of this. We went there once and enjoyed it a lot. Kinda disappointed that it's no longer around. My brother/SIL went there multiple times, so they obviously enjoyed it as well.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:10 PM, cruzin4us said:

Let me know what you think......l like escargot too....just not theirs 🙂

I also agree, I didn't find the ambient noise to be an issue either.

Although I didn't have the escargot, my companion did and they were quite strange (even he, who loves escargot commented that they were odd). Sort of deep fried with no sauce and looked very dry,

Thanks to the poster who said to ask for traditional escargot - a pity they don't mention it or even note it on the menu.

Edited by Aussieflyer

We ate there 3 times on Sky last summer.    Found the food to be quite good to excellent, service was excellent, ambience was great.     Yes, we went early and were a few tables in, but in a quiet area.

Each time, the server offered the "traditional" escargot; I took his advice and enjoyed them.

Mary

• Like 2

Our group of six ate there on the Enchanted last week and none of us were really impressed. As others have said, the location is problematic.  Even though we were seated kind of back in a corner, we still had people walk by and take a look at us.  The food was okay and my husband did greatly enjoy his filet but I'd not go again . 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:08 PM, cruzin4us said:

I enjoy it and always book there.   Just don't recommend the escargot, they are not the garlicy buttery bread dipping kind.   They are deep fried and nasty.....and I pretty much eat everything.   The waiter looked at me like "told ya so"......

On the Sky they served either the breaded deep fired or the garlic.  The food on the Sky in Bistro was fabulous but hated the open concept - all the noise from the Piazza didn't not make it an upscale experience

On 12/1/2022 at 3:18 PM, tlc1972 said:

I enjoyed Bistro on Discovery last month. Was seated by the windows, so the Piazza noise wasn't a complete annoyance. 

The food was good - definitely better than my experience at Crown Grill earlier on the cruise. In fact, a few people mentioned that the steak in Bistro was a step above Crown Grill (I had the sea bass, which was best I've had on any ship). 

Service was top notch. Best of any of the specialty restaurants that I tried on that cruise. For example, when I had a tough time deciding between two appetizers, our server offered to bring both. Same with dessert (though, desserts weren't anything to write home about). 

I rebooked for Discovery in a couple of months and I've made Bistro my first dinner for that cruise. 

I agree.  I was on Discovery last month and was really disappointed in the Crown but my steak was perfect in La Mer.  I'll be back on Discovery in Feb and have already booked La Mer for the first night as well!  (It's also my birthday and that is where I want to celebrate it!)

• Like 3

On 12/5/2022 at 5:44 PM, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I agree.  I was on Discovery last month and was really disappointed in the Crown but my steak was perfect in La Mer.  I'll be back on Discovery in Feb and have already booked La Mer for the first night as well!  (It's also my birthday and that is where I want to celebrate it!)

Exact same experience, I liked the steak much better at la Mer.

We didn't eat there, but I did have an observation from our Enchanted Thanksgiving Cruise.   Before we got on the cruise, the Crown Grill was completely sold out.  You could get a reservation at the Bistro most nights (I didn't look at all of them).  When I looked in (admittedly, only 4 or 5 times, but at prime dinner time), there were tables available.  

7 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We didn't eat there, but I did have an observation from our Enchanted Thanksgiving Cruise.   Before we got on the cruise, the Crown Grill was completely sold out.  You could get a reservation at the Bistro most nights (I didn't look at all of them).  When I looked in (admittedly, only 4 or 5 times, but at prime dinner time), there were tables available.  

That's because for a majority of the people, some version of beef/steak is their go-to option for fine dining.  And if a lobster tail is thrown in, they'd go straight to gastronomic heaven.  There are likely not enough beef options on the menu at Sur La Mer to entice.

We've found the Crown Grill only marginally better than the MDR; there is nothing "specialty" about it.  Sur La Mer is more special by far.  Yes, the location is susceptible to noise, but that never get in the way of how the food tastes to us.  The lobster bisque, scallops, veal shank, and chocolate bar are all scrumptious, no matter how loud the piazza is below.

• Like 2

We have dined there once and were quite happy with the experience. Did not like the location next to the piazza and public walkway.  Have scheduled a dinner there again on our upcoming December cruise on discovery princess. Will try to get a table further away from the piazza and public walkway.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:32 PM, abqmommyof4 said:

we enjoyed it on our transatlantic on the  sky,  they  were very accommodating with my food allergy

If you don’t mind me asking, what is your food allergy?  I have a dairy allergy and was wondering if I would be able to find anything to eat there.