A rather silly question

babs135

I've just had a toasted teacake for supper and it suddenly occurred to me that I don't think I've ever seen any on any of the Cunard ships!  Am I right or are there teacakes lurking somewhere just waiting to be toasted?  

For the benefit of those who don't know what a teacake is:  A teacake in England is generally a light yeast-based sweet bun containing dried fruit, typically served toasted and buttered.

teacake.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love a teacake (exactly as pictued) but only if still warm. Prefer to scones for afternoon tea but never seen them on Cunard. Now that will be something worth ordering off menu in QG.

My understanding of what the Americans call an English muffin , ie what they use as base for eggs Benedict,  is not a crumpet or a tea cake, it's  something I've never seen in UK except in this .

2 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

In the United States this is called an English Muffin. One of my favorite breakfast items. You can get them plain, with raisins and lots of strawberry jams.

Candie

I wouldn't call the item in the photo an English muffin, as it doesn't seem to have the "nooks and crannies" we are used to.  It does look like raisin bread, though, but in individual roll form.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Isn’t that a crumpet?

Nope. The burnt bits do look a little like the crumpet holes, but Camgirl's  photo  looks like the English muffins we're used to when in the US.

However, I think they can be bready, sweet or savoury so maybe it depends which one is ordered as to which one ,''one'' gets.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this thread as I've been on the Victoria's Christmas cruise (and yes, we enjoyed the dry Dock experience!) and hubby had a toasted 'English' muffin as shown in Camgirl's photo most mornings. Cake-like muffins were available in the buffet.

• Like 1