Pricing is a bit rich

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What makes NY Cheesecake different?

NY style cheesecake generally sits atop a buttery graham cracker crust, and is smooth, super dense & super creamy.  It’s basically made with just cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, whole eggs, & vanilla (sometimes flour, but very little in proportion to the rest of the ingredients).  It’s baked at a very low temperature for about an hour or so.

If it comes out nice and fluffy, you’ve made it wrong… LOL!

And if you want to make it truly NY… serve it with some attitude 😉

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DenGNNJ said:

NY style cheesecake generally sits atop a buttery graham cracker crust, and is smooth, super dense & super creamy.  It’s basically made with just cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, whole eggs, & vanilla (sometimes flour, but very little in proportion to the rest of the ingredients).  It’s baked at a very low temperature for about an hour or so.

If it comes out nice and fluffy, you’ve made it wrong… LOL!

And if you want to make it truly NY… serve it with some attitude 😉

I've had cheesecake at one of those Manhattan delis with 2" high pastrami sandwiches.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I've had cheesecake at one of those Manhattan delis with 2" high pastrami sandwiches.  

2” is that all?  Now this is a pastrami sandwich!  Harold’s NY Deli in Edison, NJ.

FA039055-889E-41C0-8310-CCDF49A6A353.jpeg

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I always have potato latkes as I can't face those sandwiches (extra price if you share)!

Love latkes!

BTW… At Harold’s that’s the smallest sized sandwich and cake slice on their menu.  Each feeds up to 3 people, sharing is encouraged for which, there’s never an extra charge… plus, all orders include their famous “all you can eat pickle bar”.

It’s an obscene amount of food and although delicious, not a place I’d eat at on a regular basis.  It’s definitely a fun place to go with a group of friends or business associates.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

We didn't have the cheesecake but we did have the reuben sandwich at Katz Deli. We shared it as it was so big. It was delicious!

IMG_4217.thumb.JPG.7666fed916958459c6f83b38e3485aef.JPG

2 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Love latkes!

BTW… At Harold’s that’s the smallest sized sandwich and cake slice on their menu.  Each feeds up to 3 people, sharing is encouraged for which, there’s never an extra charge… plus, all orders include their famous “all you can eat pickle bar”.

It’s an obscene amount of food and although delicious, not a place I’d eat at on a regular basis.  It’s definitely a fun place to go with a group of friends or business associates.

Where is Harold's?  I hate the pickles and they give you a bowl of them for free!

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

What makes NY Cheesecake different?

It's baked and is quite dense and rich because it uses mainly all cream cheese and eggs and is usually not too sweet.

Edited by possum52

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Where is Harold's?  I hate the pickles and they give you a bowl of them for free!

Harold’s is in Edison NJ.  Pickles are all you can eat, serve yourself buffet style, and totally optional.  No pickles? … more room for a knish and some cake.

Re: Katz in NYC… an institution and also a wonderful deli.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

It's baked and is quite dense and rich because it uses mainly all cream cheese and eggs and is usually not too sweet.

Thanks  All this talk for cheesecake, I almost had cheesecake for morning tea at a craft sale.  In the end I had old favourite  jam and cream with sultana scones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We didn't have the cheesecake but we did have the reuben sandwich at Katz Deli. We shared it as it was so big. It was delicious!

IMG_4217.thumb.JPG.7666fed916958459c6f83b38e3485aef.JPG

Did you pay extra to share?  I like Katz Deli.  My favourite is Zabar's, where you can eat, be entertained and shop.  

I just don't get  bigger is better. There is no way I (and even with DH) could possibly eat that sandwich or cake. I can't believe how much some people manage to put away!  Even on a cruise I have seen people order 2 main courses and 2 desserts. Usually it is an entree (appetiser) and main only for us and sometimes we dispense with the entree.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

I just don't get  bigger is better. There is no way I (and even with DH) could possibly eat that sandwich or cake. I can't believe how much some people manage to put away!  Even on a cruise I have seen people order 2 main courses and 2 desserts. Usually it is an entree (appetiser) and main only for us and sometimes we dispense with the entree.

I sometimes enjoy soup, entree and main meal on a cruise, if they are my favourite meals.  If dessert is a favourite I'll skip main in that case.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I sometimes enjoy soup, entree and main meal on a cruise, if they are my favourite meals.  If dessert is a favourite I'll skip main in that case.  

I rarely have entree, but if soup is a favourite I will have with a main. I don't always have dessert.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Sometimes I will order 2 entrees or soup and entree, but no main if I want to make sure I have room for a favourite dessert.

I often find two entrees appealing but rarely two mains.  I can always fit in dessert if it is a favourite.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you pay extra to share?  I like Katz Deli.  My favourite is Zabar's, where you can eat, be entertained and shop.  

No, how would they have known we were sharing it? I lined up and got it while Rolf got drinks then nabbed a table.

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, how would they have known we were sharing it? I lined up and got it while Rolf got drinks then nabbed a table.

Maybe because we only ordered the one huge sandwich and the extra cost to share was on the menu (two delis near Broadway).  We never went there again because they were for tourists. 

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Maybe because we only ordered the one huge sandwich and the extra cost to share was on the menu (two delis near Broadway).  We never went there again because they were for tourists. 

That's crazy. Why should it matter to them if you each eat half a sandwich? Off the same plate! We would not have been able to eat a whole one each so there would have been wastage. We didn't share drinks though.

We went to a restaurant near our hotel in Times Square one night. There was a big sign on the wall, and also on the menu, that portions served 2-3 people. So we ordered one appetiser, a salad, and one main. We're not small eaters but there was enough food to feed 5-6 people and still have leftovers. So much wastage! 

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's crazy. Why should it matter to them if you each eat half a sandwich? Off the same plate! We would not have been able to eat a whole one each so there would have been wastage. We didn't share drinks though.

We went to a restaurant near our hotel in Times Square one night. There was a big sign on the wall, and also on the menu, that portions served 2-3 people. So we ordered one appetiser, a salad, and one main. We're not small eaters but there was enough food to feed 5-6 people and still have leftovers. So much wastage! 

They wanted you to buy two huge sandwiches.  From memory, it was $10 extra to share one sandwich. 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, arxcards said:

It is all looking a bit fancy and complicated and reported in different ways. Some of the travel media are saying it is value added, while others are saying it is dearer. All in the eye of the beholder. After a couple of decadent desserts and a couple of smoothies, I will need a couple of fitness classes to balance things. How symbiotic is that. A 3 night cruise will be tough with two fancy desserts to fit in.

They were great value for a lot of people, but for many less now. As spirits/cocktail drinkers who use internet, it is still within our usual daily spend, but we would likely give it a miss on longer cruises and have a couple of dry days to drop our daily spend, take our wine on etc.

Still, when comparing with the prices of the opposition, they are comparatively great value.

These fancy desserts will have a charge, as already happens with any of the gelato or "real" ice cream on deck.  Rolling out on sailings after February 20, 2023 are a series of Princess Premium desserts, which will incorporate gelato, pastries, and candies. They’ll be added to both Princess Plus and Princess Premier, and are available Gelateria, Swirls, or Coffee and Cones venues.

They look great, but I want mine to look like a unicorn. 😉

bundle-lg.jpg

Princess Cruises Enhances Value with Exciting New Offerings to All-Inclusive Princess Plus and Premier Packages - Princess Cruises

I bet those desserts aren't gluten free, & that they have no gf equivalent. Maybe just extra special green jelly or cream brulae🤮

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, arxcards said:

"Two premium crafted desserts, two smoothies or juices, two fitness classes". Not per day, per cruise. How about that Julie, you can get 2 fresh OJ's per cruise

Tell 'em they're dreamin' is what springs to mind when I read your explanation of the additions to those packages!

I read their description of the 'new deal' but missed the 'per cruise' part. That's one heck of a skinny deal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Tell 'em they're dreamin' is what springs to mind when I read your explanation of the additions to those packages!

I read their description of the 'new deal' but missed the 'per cruise' part. That's one heck of a skinny deal.

The deal is the only thing skinny about those desserts