How "safe" is the ship?

PineappleTraveler

20 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

ArmyCop42 - I hope that you have a fabulous cruise and enjoy Celebrity!  '

Thankfully this was the one and only time out of eight Celebrity cruises (plus a couple of cruises on a couple of other lines) where we had a situation to call security but certainly understand that issues can and do occur.  

My brother was career military and finished his career as a sea trainer for safety with Canadian Navy so the one time he took a "pleasure cruise" with us I received some impromptu safety lessons haha (which I shouldn't laugh....some pretty great advice was provided!)

And thank you for your service!

Thanks For your Support ! Wish your brother the same wishes!!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Care to elaborate? Folks here have a vested interest in such things...and this phrase is a bit of a cliffhanger...

Sure I have time...Some of these suggestions the Cruise lines might do in the future and some might be a little harder..

(1) The US government could make recipical agreements with Ships flagged in different country's to enforce US law for cruise ships leaving and returning to US ports. same with Canada, Britian and other "Host" Country's to enforce their National laws..

(2) In the US,..Establish a Federal Law enforcement program similar to the Air Marshal program with a Federal agent trained in Investigations and prevention to be placed on every ship with the cost being paid in part by the Cruise line and the passengers..sailing out of the US.

(3) The US could lower taxes on "Flagging" cruise ships that primary sail out to the US to make this process more easier.

(4) On ships that sail short cruises or that are known "Party boats" hire competent Security Officers

perferbly former LEO or Military..Give these officer the proper tools and training...None of this Scene where officers from Carnival were kicking the Aussie's on the ground..

As I, stated above, Hire and Pay these officers properly...Lots of MP's and Marines leave the service every day, here in US, Canada, Britian...Especially when you looking at Head of Security for your ship

Hire a Gunny Sgt from the US or a Royal Marine...not some guy from Indonesia...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ArmyCop42 said:

Sure I have time...Some of these suggestions the Cruise lines might do in the future and some might be a little harder..

(1) The US government could make recipical agreements with Ships flagged in different country's to enforce US law for cruise ships leaving and returning to US ports. same with Canada, Britian and other "Host" Country's to enforce their National laws..

(2) In the US,..Establish a Federal Law enforcement program similar to the Air Marshal program with a Federal agent trained in Investigations and prevention to be placed on every ship with the cost being paid in part by the Cruise line and the passengers..sailing out of the US.

(3) The US could lower taxes on "Flagging" cruise ships that primary sail out to the US to make this process more easier.

(4) On ships that sail short cruises or that are known "Party boats" hire competent Security Officers

perferbly former LEO or Military..Give these officer the proper tools and training...None of this Scene where officers from Carnival were kicking the Aussie's on the ground..

As I, stated above, Hire and Pay these officers properly...Lots of MP's and Marines leave the service every day, here in US, Canada, Britian...Especially when you looking at Head of Security for your ship

Thank you very much for taking the time to outline these suggestions. I had assumed (and you know what happens then...) that something similar to item #2 was already in place. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, PineappleTraveler said:

If you left a purse/wallet on a pool chair and went swimming, would you feel the need to keep an eye on it the whole time? Have you ever been pick pocketed on a ship?

There is nowhere on board to use cash. Pointless carrying a purse anywhere on board. Just your cruise card on a lanyard around your neck.

The only things I need with me while out of the cabin might be sunglasses, hand sanitiser and phone maybe.

There is zero requirement to have your purse with you. 

The only time my wallet comes out of the safe is when I am going ashore.

My phone is usually on the bedside table, and my laptop on the main bench. Jewellery and cash etc (and passports if the ship hasn't taken them) in the safe.

Edited by P&T

18 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to outline these suggestions. I had assumed (and you know what happens then...) that something similar to item #2 was already in place. 

Thanks again!

Ill Never tell😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArmyCop42 said:

Agree 110%.  Will they do it?  Probably not because it would cost them more money.  All of the recent decisions X has made are based upon $ savings.

We laugh at Xs IT and Data Science department.

I do agree with all of your points.

I would like to see more US flagged ships that do not have to travel to foreign ports.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmyCop42 said:

What’s wrong with a guy from Indonesia?  I want to feel secure but I want that security to have a customer service orientation.  Will we get that from former military and police?

1 hour ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I may have missed something major there, when people say they tip individual staff, are they not carrying small bills to do that?

Typically you might tip your cabin steward or MDR staff extra on the last day, if you feel the service merits something over the daily gratuities you are already paying. Room service would be tipped in your cabin.Tips are automatically added for the bar staff in your bar tab. You could, if you choose carry a few dollar bills for extra tips if you choose. But carrying a wallet around, with all the usual ID, credit cards, bank cards, and larger denomination cash is unnecessary.  Shove the small bills in a pocket or whatever you use to carry your phone, sanitizer, tissues  etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I may have missed something major there, when people say they tip individual staff, are they not carrying small bills to do that?

Take a peek at this University study. "The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Tipping in advance was traditionally the way most people used to tip, to insure promptness and most service providers actually respond best to this form of tipping. Especially useful when one is competing for the attention of over-worked short staffed service providers."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Take a peek at this University study. "The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Tipping in advance was traditionally the way most people used to tip, to insure promptness and most service providers actually respond best to this form of tipping. Especially useful when one is competing for the attention of over-worked short staffed service providers."

I think @PineappleTraveler's point in her post was not truly a discussion about whether to tip but more that those that choose to tip (for example bartenders) may have reason to carry a purse around.  And many with (or even without) the drink package on boards like this claim they tip bartenders in cash throughout the cruise.  I personally refuse to carry cash around the ship.  If there is a bartender or two that stand out or that I use a lot, I'll give them a lump sum at some point but I am definitely not tipping extra with every drink.

I completely agree there is no reason to carry around your entire wallet, credit cards, etc.  But I don't agree with @P&T that there would be no reason to carry a purse around at all.  A purse can be convenient to carry your sea pass card, small bills if you want to tip, your phone, hand sanitizer, a book, the daily planner for those that prefer paper, etc.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

If you are buying drinks, the tip is added to the tab, that goes onto your account at the end of the cruise. 

For general tipping, you can either let the cruise line add an amount to your final account and they disburse among the crew or you can ask at the pursers office for envelopes and put money in them and hand them out individually on the last evening before you disembark.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I always carry $1 and $5's around the ship for this purpose.  I certainly don't need a wallet for that. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Yes in our situation security was very responsive.  We reported someone in the cabin next to us for constantly smoking on their balcony (this cruise was shortly after another ship had a fire aboard which of course the cruise lines take VERY seriously).  My husband happens to be a firefighter and naturally noted the dangers of a fire on a ship when he called.  Security came immediately and spoke with both DH and the guy next door who then started yelling at my husband and was quite nasty. 

They promptly moved this guy and his wife to another cabin and charged them cleaning fees (and a fine I believe) as they had to wash the walls down etc. -  turns out they had been smoking in their stateroom as well as on the balcony (Sorry - I'm getting off topic).

As an aside, DH is 6'2" and can "handle himself" in a difficult situation and he commented afterwards that there was no way in he11 that he would ever mess with this security person lol.  He was not a large man but it was obvious that he was well trained, very physically fit, he de-escalated the situation well, and was extremely calm and professional.  BTW of note is they wear body cams.  In our case as soon as the guy next door started yelling, hubby noticed security turn it on.

Had a similar experience on Equinox.  A man whom I'd observed on several occasions smoking in a non-smoking area on the promenade deck left a still-burning (smoke wafting up) cigar on the lacquer coated arm of the wooden chair in which he'd been sitting and walked away.  Initially, I was hesitant to touch someone else's "property" because I wasn't sure whether he was coming right back.  But, I decided this was a potentially dangerous situation that warranted more immediate action and put out the cigar myself.  I then called the desk to advise them of what I'd done, asking if they could send someone to remove the cigar and speak with the man in the event he returned while I was waiting.  About 15-20 minutes later, two staff from one of the specialty restaurants (not security) eventually responded and took the cigar.  A few minutes later, I happened to see the smoker in the coffee shop.  I probably shouldn't have said anything to him but since the ship staff seemed to have no interest in speaking with him, I approached him to tell him that he'd created a dangerous situation by leaving a burning cigar on a flammable surface.  His response was to verbally and physically threaten me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

since the ship staff seemed to have no interest in speaking with him,

Were the crew still with you when you saw him? Otherwise how do you know they had "no interest"? They likely felt that going on a search for him would be a wild goose chase since ships are large places and people move freely about.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

What’s wrong with a guy from Indonesia?  I want to feel secure but I want that security to have a customer service orientation.  Will we get that from former military and police?

I don't think the Indonesian Police or Military teach a lot of Customer service but I get your point..

You have to have well rounded Experienced person to run your ship's security...When your ship is going in and out of "lets say" US ports who do you think Customs and the Local Police will want to cooperate with more, some guy from India as a example? or a Former Chief of Police or US Marine from the states, possibly some guy who did a couple years in the Canada or British Navy then 20 Years on with Metro Police of London?.......In 2018 I was chatting with one of the head Pursers on a Carnival ship and we got to talking about Security, I explained to her that I had flirted with the idea of going thru the hiring process back in the Mid 1990's as Chief of Security on one of their ship's. She asked about my experience and when I told her, She flat out told me that "They" couldn't afford me..That told me alot!!.

Sorry Forgot to answer you second question...The answer would be Yes!!

Edited by ArmyCop42
add
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ArmyCop42 said:

When your ship is going in and out of "lets say" US ports who do you think Customs and the Local Police will want to cooperate with more, some guy from India as a example? or a Former Chief of Police or US Marine from the states, possibly some guy who did a couple years in the Canada or British Navy then 20 Years on with Metro Police of London?.......

First, you are talking about the Chief Security Officer position. A 3 stripe officer who reports directly to the Captain/Staff Captain. Not the boots on the ground security officers who work around the ship. And secondly, your remarks give off a strong xenophobic whiff that I think the cruise lines would like to avoid. You need to be a 'Murican or Brit to get the respect this position deserves by other 'Murican officials? Other nationalities with equal credentials or qualifications need not apply? Hopefully those responsible for hiring into these positions are more open minded.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bluewake said:

But, I decided this was a potentially dangerous situation that warranted more immediate action and put out the cigar myself.  I then called the desk to advise them of what I'd done, asking if they could send someone to remove the cigar and speak with the man in the event he returned while I was waiting.  About 15-20 minutes later, two staff from one of the specialty restaurants (not security) eventually responded and took the cigar.  A few minutes later, I happened to see the smoker in the coffee shop.  I probably shouldn't have said anything to him but since the ship staff seemed to have no interest in speaking with him, I approached him to tell him that he'd created a dangerous situation by leaving a burning cigar on a flammable surface.  His response was to verbally and physically threaten me. 

Good for you Bluewake, for taking the initiative to look after a potentially dangerous situation yourself!  Sorry you didn't receive the support from staff that IMHO you should have.  Will never know for sure, but I  think the fact that DH immediately identified himself as a firefighter when he called to report a potential fire/safety hazard may have helped with the quick response that we received.  

Ever notice how many folks who are clearly in the wrong immediately respond with a verbal assault when someone dares to challenge them, even if politely?  SMH

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mom says said:

First, you are talking about the Chief Security Officer position. A 3 stripe officer who reports directly to the Captain/Staff Captain. Not the boots on the ground security officers who work around the ship. And secondly, your remarks give off a strong xenophobic whiff that I think the cruise lines would like to avoid. You need to be a 'Murican or Brit to get the respect this position deserves by other 'Murican officials? Other nationalities with equal credentials or qualifications need not apply? Hopefully those responsible for hiring into these positions are more open minded.

Or just maybe the point is the best trained in the Poster's opinion.  I think it would be incredibly wrong to assume a US marine or British Navy vet has only one possible national origin.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Or just maybe the point is the best trained in the Poster's opinion.  I think it would be incredibly wrong to assume a US marine or British Navy vet has only one possible national origin.  

My father was Army (Japan), Air Force (Offutt).  My mother Air Force (Offutt).  

My father was rough around the edges.  I wouldn’t prefer him as Security Officer.  I’m sure there are lots of decent ex military who would do ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1