The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 4th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Cheetah Day, International Day of Banks, and National Cookie Day

You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.--Brigham Young

Meal Suggestion for today - Patty Melts
Drink of the Day - Apples And Bourbon
Wine of the Day - Bucci 2019 Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore
Destination of the Day - Burnie, Tasmania, Australia

Eurodam

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 12/05

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile eta 12/05

Rotterdam

Castries, St Lucia Island 08:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Boca Da Valeria, Brazil 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Takoradi, Ghana 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Dry Dock Freeport, Bahamas Completion 12/14

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Port Lincoln, South Australia eta 12/07

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Sydney, Australia

1204World.thumb.png.835c7eb29f13c6ac84571bd44526cb63.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 
Good selection of days and a very thought provoking quote.

Patty melts are good.

The USA gave it a good try but came up short, this team was young and is going to be a force in the 2026 World Cup.
Another nice day as we will be soon hopping in the car for the drive over to Port Everglades for our 12 noon boarding time on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I take a break from computers and WI FI while on a cruise and will touch bases next Sunday with a.short review of the cruise.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

National Cookie Day

I was glad I was able to bake some chocolate chip cookies yesterday between power outages. I prefer to not use the oven while on generator power. Our little town of Skykomish had a tree lighting event (all with generator-power supplied by the fire department) that included singing Christmas songs, enjoying cookies and hot cider, kids and dogs and adults with Santa for pictures and goodie bags, and the town Christmas tree being lit up (which looked pretty cool on a moonlit night with all of the snow on and around the tree). The event was well attended and we all enjoyed coming out and sharing time with each other.

• Like 30

Good morning.

We had a lovely church service this morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

Banks are important for most of us.

Cheetahs need protection as they are close to extinction.

Cookies are tasty.

Interesting quote.

I will give today's food a miss.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they will help.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221204_114243.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Interesting collection of days especially cookie day.  Hubby asked me to bake peanut butter cookies, so I guess I'll do that this afternoon.

Good quote.

Good meal suggestion, hope the drink and wine are good too.

I haven't been to today's port, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

@MISTER 67 Have a great cruise, looking forward to hearing all about it when you return.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Just starting to get light here, but it looks to be another beauty of a day. Just a little cooler. 

Roy, hope everything continues to improve. Thank you for taking care of our lists. An endless task. Off to the gym, Aldi, a few more indoor decorations to get out & the big “turn on” of all my lights on timers this evening. 

CE675E1D-BD35-4972-B8E4-BE369A29467C.jpeg.c4ccf183c35007366f7ca99f0222831b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.  Stay well everyone. 

Bucci 2019 Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore

I would love to try this Italian white.  I may have had this wine on a BHB, since I do not remember encountering a Verdicchio on dry land. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $22.99.

Winemaker Notes

This wine is a deep straw yellow color. There is a pleasingly fruity and persistent bouquet, with notes of Golden Delicious apples and almonds. Good body on the palate, well balanced, elegant, with silky texture and distinct finesse.

An excellent match for hors-d'oeuvres, first courses of fish, crustacean soup, light meat, or light cheese.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast

This gorgeous white opens with enticing aromas of Mediterranean herb, yellow spring flower, eucalyptus and citrus. The delicious palate delivers juicy yellow peach, fennel, white almond and the barest hint of grapefruit alongside tangy acidity. A mineral note suggesting saline adds depth. It's an absolutely phenomenal showing. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Patty melts are good.

The USA gave it a good try but came up short, this team was young and is going to be a force in the 2026 World Cup.
Another nice day as we will be soon hopping in the car for the drive over to Port Everglades for our 12 noon boarding time on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I take a break from computers and WI FI while on a cruise and will touch bases next Sunday with a.short review of the cruise.

Safe travels & Bon Voyage!

• Like 16

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I like today’s meal suggestion and look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  We are having turkey today since we didn’t have that for Thanksgiving.  The rain stopped but the temperatures have dropped.  My only errand today is an Aldi run and I’ll do that early.  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.thumb.png.97de30d5f25ac7c31528e83449039686.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 10

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  Love cheetahs and this is the season for cookies 🙂  Since I made my living working for banks, I will gladly celebrate International Day of Banks 🙂 

Love today’s quote - so true 👍  Well, I hate to admit it but I don’t think I have ever experienced a patty melt.  I’ll wait for Debbie’s description.  From posts before, it sound like I have been missing something 😳 Today’s white wine sounds like a good one - thanks @cat shepard

Another windy rainy night - wasn’t supposed to be as bad as a couple of days ago but out went the power again.  Came on for 2 minutes and back out.  Thank heavens for the generator.  Sadly the scaffolding at a bridge couldn’t hold and all the scaffolding is now in the Hammond River 😔

F59B61D0-B51E-4B4C-B15D-031F02E3015C.thumb.jpeg.c50cee5b4f6b1ea1cdca1cd723dbb048.jpeg

Happy to say I have started walking.  It’s a very stiff walk but the foot hasn’t been used for several weeks so, I’ll just continue to work it and should see improvement each day 🤞 

EDAD78D3-C2FF-46EE-9F49-DBF9A651770C.jpeg.4b830968092d540408c88fc5e99e5133.jpeg

Roy, @rafinmdI hope that the medication is helping for continued improvement for you 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

CA0D3A49-22A8-4A5C-A86E-078BB310C08A.thumb.jpeg.a086ca6a959e87975ee65925e6abe657.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone and stay safe. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

32 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Patty melts are good.

Safe drive and happy cruising. Approaching HMC on NS. very windy and large swales! If we can’t tender I will swim ashore!

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Safe travels to you and Bon Voyage !!!  Hope you have a wonderful time 🙂 

064A06DE-50A1-4CC0-95A4-0E8EF886BCDE.jpeg.d87ddcea9e5c65929fb0fee03883916c.jpeg

• Like 22

44 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Patty melts are good.

Sending you our best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Patty melts are good.

Have a great cruise and stay safe. Looking forward to your review next week.

• Like 17

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  Cheetahs are magnificent creatures, and where would our countries be without our banks.  My cookie of choice is oatmeal raisin and I had some wonderful ones on the Eurodam.  The Brigham Young quote is certainly interesting.  Sadly, I've never been to Tasmania.  A patty melt sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Grilled Lamb Chop, and Strawberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 4, 2013. 

Yesterday was kind of a frustrating day.  I have a new laptop and it's my first with Windows 11.  It came with a trial antivirus subscription from the same company I use on my existing computers and have a blanket subscription.  I tried to add the existing subscription to the new laptop but it would only allow me to buy and extension of the trial.  I wasted about 2 hours with McAffee support but it went nowhere because I couldn't get Win11 to allow them to make some changes.  I think I have FINALLY resolved the Windows problem and they are due to try again this afternoon.  I did only quickly scan yesterday's report so may have missed some things.

Today’s care list:

Tana with pneumonia
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Quartzite Cruiser and StLouisCruisers losing neighbors
Otahand7 DB back in hospital but rehab continuing
Granhm upcoming appoints December 12 and 14
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Winter hitting ger_77 hard

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

na1204.thumb.JPG.d41b7395a9e181c988f5112
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

A new message from Father David
luvterching DH doing great in rehab
Work almost started on Terri’s house
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
7 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
6 days for Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Bon Voyage Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11)
Welcome home Ichiban Nekko
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS,  to 12/9), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/10),   Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good Sunday Evening from the Noordam

We all like Patty Melts and the best place to celebrate cookies is on a Hal ship where there is always plenty.

We will hopefully be in Burnie Tasmania in a few more days. (hopefully) 

We missed Albany today due to high winds and surf. Now headed to port Lincoln. 
    Christmas decorations going up. Looking great!

@MISTER 67have a wonderful and safe trip! 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 26

Good morning friends from Boca da Valeria, Brazil.  From the ship we can't see much.  Looks to be a nice little dock someone built to make things easier but only big enough for a tender boat.  We have had many tender ports up to today and I think everyone is getting tired of them.  There's been a few showers earlier so we are waiting for the crowds to die down before we consider visiting.

I'm all in for cookie day.  Even a patty melt would be good.  Thanks Rich for posting the Daily for us and thanks to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Big thanks to the rest of you who post and contribute, and for the sermon from Father David, Graham.

Today's port of Burnie, Australia was posted here on June 4, 2021.  Seconds after I saw that date it hit me that is the day my sister passed away (late at night).  The morning of June 4, 2021 was when the twin babies died, my sister's great grandsons.  It was not a good day.  However when I posted none of the deaths were known so I was going on as usual.  I'll post my photos after the link from Rich's post that day.

In October, November and December 2017 we enjoyed B2B2B2B cruises on the Sun Princess, taking in all of Australia, Tasmania, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand.  Bonus was the number of times we got to spend a day in Sydney.  It was our initial embarkation port, turnaround days port, and disembarkation day port so we were able to sail in and out of there many times.  It was a great trip and I'll always remember it fondly.  On the first cruise (circumnavigation of Australia) I was honored with my 500 day certificate with Princess, as well as champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, a lovely flower arrangement and special recognition at the Captain's Circle party.  The second cruise was our Tasmania getaway and that cruise DH achieved his 500 day status.  Both cruises we were offered and accepted a tour of the bridge.  Different officers conducted the tours so each one was a little different.  

enhance

The first day in Burnie was Oct. 11, 2017 and the ship had a shuttle bus to run us into downtown and back.  This made it easy for shopping trips.  We like to get things like bottles of water, toiletries, chocolates, snacks, etc.  The drop off point was at the visitor's center/museum/art center shown here.  enhance

Next to that building was a walkway along the shore.enhance

DH calls himself my pack mule.  He has the water, the umbrella, the extra gloves, hats, rain jackets etc. in his backpack.  The weight makes for extra help with his cardio though!

enhance

A look over our shoulders at the visitor center.enhance

At the end of the boardwalk was this strange looking fountain/sculpture.  The fountain wasn't on but it had jets where water would shoot up in the air.enhance

An interesting spot we passed.  Fish market or restaurant? 🙄enhance

Not a lot of pedestrians here but the ship passengers made up most of the crowds on the street.enhance

The grocery store we shopped in.  After this we went back to the ship.  Our next stop in Burnie would be in 27 more days.enhance

After our circumnavigation of Australia (fantastic cruise) and a lovely turnaround day in Sydney we headed south again to Tasmania.  It was November 7, 2017.  Dh's turn to be a VIP!enhance

This was a sunny day.  We were dropped off at the regional museum (and library) this time.enhance

There was a monument nearby for the Van Diemen's Land Company.  I found this description of their purpose on the internet:  

• The Van Diemen s Land company was first formed in 1824, with a group of wool merchants and mill operators, coming together with bankers and investors in London, with the aim to develop northwestern Tasmania as productive farming land, primarily for the export of wool.enhance

enhance

Near here was the Burnie Arts Building.enhance

And this church.  I noticed the SUV parked out front with the exhaust that goes up to vent out near the roof of the vehicle.  Someone must be doing some off road driving in deep water!enhance

By this time we needed to head to the grocery to pick up more water and other goods since we still had a long way to go on this cruise.  Next day we were at Port Arthur which is a favorite place of mine to visit in Tasmania.  Maybe someday Port Arthur will be port of the day. (Note - it has been posted now and I still love it there)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

42 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Safe drive and happy cruising. Approaching HMC on NS. very windy and large swales! If we can’t tender I will swim ashore!

We have been on a couple cruises that had HMC as a scheduled stop. It was cancelled both times because of waves and not being able to tender. Hope you are able to make it!

• Like 14

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to a nice day.  Temps are supposed to get up to 40 with a sunny, blue sky.  That will be nice for walking my laps.  After that I will spend the day spackling all the holes in the wall.  Previous Owners had a thing for nails in the walls.  I'm going to have to introduce this house to my messy painting ways, I'm afraid.  At least I won't be under a time constraint like I was before.  

Today's meal almost makes the designation of comfort food.  If you like cheeseburgers, this is for you.  You have the great beef patty, caramelized onions, rye bread, oozing cheese, and just the right amount of grease to make it delicious.  

Ree Drummond is starting us off with a classic patty melt recipe.  They are so easy to make, you just have to take the time to caramelize the onions properly.   Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese if swiss isn't your thing.  You can also make this with Beyond Burger for the vegetarians at  your table.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/patty-melts-recipe-1976809

699776_pattymelt1.thumb.jpeg.7a1b36f74bbf75c35517b30197285f63.jpeg

This next one calls for sourdough bread instead of rye.  I'll have to think on that a bit.  https://themodernproper.com/patty-melt

1460253901_pattymelt3.thumb.jpg.a6c99bb5455d14e91f22795bbcbcbfa6.jpg

When I saw Tex-Mex patty melts, I thought they would put some taco seasoning in the ground beef.  But, no, it is just that oversized Texas toast with pepper jack cheese.  I would add the taco seasoning.  https://emeals.com/recipes/recipe-49090-315362-TexMex-Patty-Melts

56785210_pattymelt4.thumb.jpg.195bdda7496857e54512c67bdd2aec19.jpg

This next one uses bacon.  That sounds like a wonderful addition to me!  https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/bacon-patty-melts/

868144443_pattymelt5.jpg.770c61a522fecd82dc8bec56b921b4ae.jpg

Last up is a patty melt with a portobello mushroom.   I'm going for the beef, myself, but some would prefer this and it isn't any more work to add some of these into the mix.  https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/portabello-melts-recipe

1711263603_pattymelt6.thumb.jpg.6e8b26bdd8e379eb934156d86c6b82be.jpg

As you can see, it is easy to change this up and make to your specific tastes.  Now, I am going to find a place where I can get a good patty melt.   

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Warm thoughts and hugs to those recovering from illnesses and bon voyage to those embarking on a ship.  And stay warm all of you who live on or near the frozen tundra ( @ger_77, that is you!)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9