On drinks package, can I order a double?

korky1

24 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

And ?

In one you agree that Princess says that you can't share with others; in the other you say that 

it's hard to keep up with 15 drinks per day, but we try our best with a little help from our friends

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

In one you agree that Princess says that you can't share with others; in the other you say that 

it's hard to keep up with 15 drinks per day, but we try our best with a little help from our friends

Yes, Princess says that there should be no sharing.

Yes, if I can't drink my allotment then I need help from my friends. 

I consider it a challenge. 

8 hours ago, malba2366 said:

Will they double pour wine as well?  I have never had the drink package but I prefer to stop at the wine bar to get a glass of wine before going in to the MDR.

They did on Sky last month.  Stopping at a bar for wine on the way to dinner and at dinner, they would sometimes ask if I wanted a "large", i.e. two pours, for which they would use 2 of my drink credits.

13 hours ago, malba2366 said:

Will they double pour wine as well?  I have never had the drink package but I prefer to stop at the wine bar to get a glass of wine before going in to the MDR.

Yes, but it can be challenging to walk with two glasses of wine in your hands 🙂 In the past they would serve "to go" glasses in different wine glasses than you get at Vines. I've tried walking with two before and its a slow walk to not splash wine. lol I have been known to walk out of the MDR and get a new wine at Vines mid meal... it was an emergency. 👼

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I won't speak to ordering liquor to take after the sailing...  But, you don't need to order a bottle or to save drinks for your cabin.  Just use the app!!!  (unless it is not working well for some reason)  They will bring them right to your cabin.  

Wouldn't it be just as good, or better, to have some kind of water bottle, insulated bottle, or flask.  Wouldn't that be easier than the runner?

I like the Rum Runners over a rigid bottle because they take up no room when empty. They are difficult to dry out after being used however.

We can order drinks for cabin delivery to the cabin? I did not know that, thanks for that.

Doug

17 hours ago, malba2366 said:

Can't you order a glass of wine at your MDR table, with or without the drinks package? We've only sailed on Celebrity with their beverage package, so my understanding of Princess' package is not much. But with Celebrity that was possible.

Doug

4 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Yes, but it can be challenging to walk with two glasses of wine in your hands 🙂 In the past they would serve "to go" glasses in different wine glasses than you get at Vines. I've tried walking with two before and its a slow walk to not splash wine. lol I have been known to walk out of the MDR and get a new wine at Vines mid meal... it was an emergency. 👼

I know all too well about ‘wine emergencies’, especially since I tasted that Canyon Road wine.  🤮  

Princess now seems to be stocking Vines and the some specialty restaurants (not the MDR but you can at least try to request one) with some nicer wine glasses (not necessarily Riedels but larger, thin rimmed glasses)  and we’ve sometimes asked for a double pour at Vines when we order a nicer wine to take to dinner.  You do have to promise to return the glasses, which we’ve always done.  A friend of mine, who is also a wine lover, refers to those standard to go wine glasses as ‘Joker Glasses’.   In jest, we’ve teased that you could throw one against the window and the window would break before the glass would.  😂 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Can't you order a glass of wine at your MDR table, with or without the drinks package? We've only sailed on Celebrity with their beverage package, so my understanding of Princess' package is not much. But with Celebrity that was possible.

Doug

Sometimes bar service in the MDR takes an ungodly amount of time, so some people come prepared with a full glass then order another glass once seated for dinner. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Sometimes bar service in the MDR takes an ungodly amount of time, so some people come prepared with a full glass then order another glass once seated for dinner. 

Ah, I understand. I hope our Ruby Princess cruise is better that that. We were spoiled on our last two Celebrity ships this year. There was a small bar located near the MDR with excellent (self) service. I mean I went up to the bar to order; I didn't wait for a waitstaff. But those two Celeb ships were smaller than the Ruby. Either way, we are looking forward to sailing with Princess again. Our last was the fall of 2019!

Doug

On 12/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, Cruise Raider said:

You can certainly order a double, in fact, in Crooners, my DH was always asked if he wanted a double when he ordered a cocktail.  
BTW, there was never an extra charge for this on our bill, however, they will charge for two drinks against the package limit.  

I ordered a double Scotch first day on the Discovery.  Won't make that mistake again.  Charged $16 (double the normal single charge and over the Plus limit, so paid full amount.)  Now I order two and pour the second one into first glass.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UpcountryTravelers said:

I ordered a double Scotch first day on the Discovery.  Won't make that mistake again.  Charged $16 (double the normal single charge and over the Plus limit, so paid full amount.)  Now I order two and pour the second one into first glass.

We've never been charged for the full amount on Princess if our drink exceeded the Plus limit ... even on the Discovery.  We've also ordered doubles and were just charged for two drinks against our package.  The way you were charged seems like someone made a mistake.  It's not been like that in our experiences, even on the Discovery.  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Yes. In fact, some bartenders will ask you if you want a double, knowing you have the drinks package, and they just charge your account for two drinks, NOT a double. Less work for them, and for us to keep coming back for more drinks. LOL

This is killing two birds with one stone. 

1. They make points with the passenger. 

2. They make the tips on two drinks. 

Win, Win!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We've never been charged for the full amount on Princess if our drink exceeded the Plus limit ... even on the Discovery.  We've also ordered doubles and were just charged for two drinks against our package.  The way you were charged seems like someone made a mistake.  It's not been like that in our experiences, even on the Discovery.  

We also order doubles and never been charged extra. It must have been an inexperienced bartender. 

• Like 3

On 12/8/2022 at 8:40 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Yes, but the wine list in the MDR is very limited in comparison to the choices available at Vines.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:33 AM, MissP22 said:

Funny, because that's exactly what we do also, but I keep the glass on the shelf where the safe is and they never bother them. 

I retired our Rumrunner's when we started to get the plus package but it looks like we'll soon have to dust them off with the new pricing. 

Absolutely, 3 familys booking for March, we are going back to the rum runners. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes, but the wine list in the MDR is very limited in comparison to the choices available at Vines.

Ah, good point. I'd forgotten about that. Luckily my wife is usually content with 90% of the wine she's had in the dining room. But then we usually have our pre-dinner cocktails in one of the bars anyway, and if she orders wine in the MDR it's her second glass. Me, I'm a scotch and martini drinker, and pretty easy to please, at least with the gin.

Doug

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Absolutely, 3 familys booking for March, we are going back to the rum runners. 

It might not be a solution for you, but one can always order those .375l bottles for cabin consumption from Princess. We did that for years after we tired of the hassle of RumRunners and before the advent of Princess Plus at what we considered a reasonable cost.

The problem with those small bottles is the choice is very limited, and ordering them is never easy, especially when I've done that before we sailed. It's a real chore to find the place to order them at Princess.com, and I think when you can order them depends on sailing date.  I've heard one can order them from Room/Cabin service once on board, but I've not done that.

Doug

42 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

It might not be a solution for you, but one can always order those .375l bottles for cabin consumption from Princess. We did that for years after we tired of the hassle of RumRunners and before the advent of Princess Plus at what we considered a reasonable cost.

The problem with those small bottles is the choice is very limited, and ordering them is never easy, especially when I've done that before we sailed. It's a real chore to find the place to order them at Princess.com, and I think when you can order them depends on sailing date.  I've heard one can order them from Room/Cabin service once on board, but I've not done that.

Doug

It's the vodka and rums we all like. Refuse to pay another $40 per day per couple since there last cruise, its Princess loosing out on this one and it's there own doing. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 7:17 AM, korky1 said:

Pretty frivolous question I know.  Doing a cruise on Majestic Pincess and for the first time we have taken the plus fare which includes the standard drinks package.  Hubby and I usually order a double scotch each every evening and take them back to our cabin.  Can we still do this on the package?    I know there is a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day  (who could possibly drink that much?), but hoping there isn't a silly limit on ordering a double rather than one at a time.

I was on Majestic in June to Alaska.  We had no problem getting double Baileys every evening on the way back to our room.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We also order doubles and never been charged extra. It must have been an inexperienced bartender. 

I was charged for a double (amount over $12 on Princess Plus) on The Enchanted and that was the only drink I had that day.   I didn't think to tell them to charge me for 2 drinks, instead. 

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Extremely easy to order on board. Just call room service.