The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday December 5th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Ninja Day, International Volunteer Day, and National Blue Jeans Day

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken
Drink of the Day - Cucumber Martini
Wine of the Day - Kirkland Signature 2018 Red (Napa Valley) Napa
Destination of the Day - Chuuk, Micronesia

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Willemstad, Curaco eta 12/6

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caic eta 12/06

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 12/06

Oosterdam

Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Bridgetown, Barbados 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Belem eta 12/7

Zaandam

Abidjan, Ivory Coast 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Dry Dock Freeport, Bahamas Completion 12/14

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Port Lincoln, South Australia eta 12/07

Westerdam

Sydney, Australia 7:00 AM To 5:00 PM

1205World.thumb.png.02e03990e7b1b4d845113d36e789303e.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

I guess I'm addicted.

Great collection of days.  I don't know much about ninjas.  I volunteer at our local hospital and for fundraising events in our community.  I love blue jeans.

I like the quote.

We're having chicken for dinner tonight - it's so versatile.

The drink sounds tasty, especially on a hot day.  I hope the wine isn't too sweet or expensive.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I haven't worn blue jeans for years but will definitely salute volunteers including MANY dailyites.  I'll take a pass on Ninja day, but love the Einstein quote.  Never been to Mcronesia.  Today's meal suggestion is so comprehensive I'll take a pass on an alternative today.

I finally got my antivirus situation resolved yesterday afternoon.

Today’s care list:

Tana with pneumonia
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Quartzite Cruiser and StLouisCruisers losing neighbors
Otahand7 DB back in hospital but rehab continuing
Granhm upcoming appointments December 12 and 14
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu starting to walk
Hotel upgrade for Cruisin Terri
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
67 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
5 days for Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS,  to 12/9), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/10),   Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11) SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Fleet Update and the general info.

Great, National Jeans Day! I will wear a pair to that. Use to be sometime last century a pair of jeans cost $5. Not anymore. It all started when this French designer came up with these designer jeans. This model in Paris was trying these tight pair of designer jeans and when she bent over they split right up her backside. The designer shouted out, “ Jordache is Showing”. 😳 And the rest is history.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 6
  • Haha 18

Good afternoon.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

Neither of us wear jeans.

Hats off to volunteers for giving their time and skills for free.

I like chicken.

Interesting quote.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

The picture was taken last week in Puerto de la Cruz Tenerife.

IMG_20221125_134226.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I haven't worn blue jeans for years but will definitely salute volunteers including MANY dailyites.  I'll take a pass on Ninja day, but love the Einstein quote.  Never been to Mcronesia.  Today's meal suggestion is so comprehensive I'll take a pass on an alternative today.

I finally got my antivirus situation resolved yesterday afternoon.

Today’s care list:

Tana with pneumonia
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Quartzite Cruiser and StLouisCruisers losing neighbors
Otahand7 DB back in hospital but rehab continuing
Granhm upcoming appointments December 12 and 14
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu starting to walk
Hotel upgrade for Cruisin Terri
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
67 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
5 days for Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS,  to 12/9), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/10),   Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11) SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

My hospital appointments next week are Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th.

Regards.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I bought some chicken that was on sale over the weekend, will have some later in the week.  About two years ago work started to allow us to wear jeans on Fridays while in the office.  Now we can wear them any day we are in the office.  
Ashlee,  queen of the house, turns 10 today.

image.png.2bfc99d04e3d04257d32e9841972577e.png

• Like 26

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I bought some chicken that was on sale over the weekend, will have some later in the week.  About two years ago work started to allow us to wear jeans on Fridays while in the office.  Now we can wear them any day we are in the office.  
Ashlee,  queen of the house, turns 10 today.

image.png.2bfc99d04e3d04257d32e9841972577e.png

Happy birthday to the queen from my kids. I loved your meme the other day about deciding what time to get up.

• Like 15

Good morning friends from Volendam on the Amazon River.  Since we are running with the current now instead of against it we are really moving fast - 23 knots.  Last night we went to see the Classical Duo again.  These are the two young ladies from Ukraine.  We advised them last week to play at their appointed time even if no one is in the room and I think it's working.  We arrived on time last night and there was another couple already sitting there.  But when the ladies began to play their classical music, people stopped and some came in to sit down and listen.  There was quite a nice crowd by the end and the ladies had big smiles on their faces. 

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily.  I'm wearing jean capris today with my Michigan Engineering T-shirt.  Michigan won the Big 10 conference over Purdue Saturday.  Go Blue!  DD's Ohio State is still #4 though so not too shabby.  Hurray for volunteers, and ninjas I guess.  Let's see what Debbie @dfishsays about the menu suggestion which is Chicken.  I love chicken so hurray for that too.  Today is a first time port destination - Chuuk, Micronesia.  I have not been there.  It will be interesting to see if anyone here has any photos of Chuuk to share.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor our lists today.  I have said prayers for everyone already.  There is someone in my family who needs extra prayers this week but prefers to keep their problem private.  That person is at the top of my list for sure.🙏  A shout out to all on the Celebration list.  Enjoy your cruises and good news everyone.🥂  Hope your flight home is uneventful @aliaschief.  Hope you are fully recovered soon.

Have a great day everyone!  We're going to enjoy these next two sea days a lot after all the tendering back and forth all week long.  Thankful to be on a BHB.🚢  Though I may have to ask where are the Christmas trees!  Only gingerbread houses.  Maybe I haven't searched far enough yet.  The hunt is on!🎄

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily Report.  I think I'm addicted.

My ex in laws were from northern England (Manchester) and they had never worn jeans, nor did either of their sons.  My ex MIL would make derogative  comments when she saw me in black denim.  She had a very "Mrs. Bouquet" personality.  

• Like 14
  • Haha 11

Good Morning.  Don't want to be hit with @kazu's wet noodle.

I'm addicted to here, as are the rest of us.

Cucumber Martini:

Ingredients
2 parts EFFEN® Cucumber Vodka
1 1/2 parts dry vermouth
Cucumber Wheel

Instructions
Shake over ice, strain and serve in martini glass. Garnish with a cucumber wheel.

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 7.30.45 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Very cloudy here this morning. I discovered the timer on two of my lighted Christmas decorations do not work. Need to see if I did something wrong when I set them up. 

Roy, happy to read of your continued improvement. Thank you for keeping our lists. I might tweak the Einstein quote a bit and replace “religion” with “faith”. 

Just one class for me today, but it is my favorite one, even though I can not do high jumps or burpees. Then Bindi walks. And if the weather cooperates, I need to get out in the yard and do some dead-heading.

Bindi and I came across someone’s secret hiding place the other day.

FD085007-ED2C-4D2F-B900-B4D6F2A768A7.jpeg.1c257a05daedfd3e6fbeaa61659f51e5.jpeg

This one really fits me to a tee. 

EA02CB3B-8BD5-437A-83BF-8609B8D5E2BC.jpeg.3425cdaa911a1cd66031b5b08703c03c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Kirkland Signature 2018 Red (Napa Valley) Napa

This blend can only be found at Costco, but all vintages share a very good to excellent rating and a very reasonable price. The 2020 vintage did go up a bit, it can be had for $11.79.

Review from “The Reverse Wine Snob”

76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petite Sirah from Napa Valley, California. The wine is aged in oak for an unspecified amount of time.

The Kirkland Signature Napa Valley Red Blend is available exclusively at Costco. Previous vintages have sold for $10.99 but the 2020 is priced at $11.79. Like many of the Kirkland Signature wines, it is cellared and bottled by DC Flynt MW Selections. Previous vintages were made by Glenn Hugo, the winemaker at Girard Napa and B.R. Cohn, but the 2020 does not mention this on the label. 

From the bottle:

The 2020 red blend is a traditional blend of classical varietals which combine to create a finely nuanced wine from the well-drained gravelly loams and silt soils of Napa Valley. This blend has the concentrated notes of black cherry and cassis supported by silky tannins and the spice rack notes of oak and cedar finishing with the velvety notes of rich plum. 

This is a perennial favorite for us, so we were more than happy to see it arrive again in our local store. And once again this year the proportion of Cab has gone way up; in fact, this 2020 could actually be labeled as a Cabernet Sauvignon since it is above the 75% threshold for a single varietal wine. 

The 2020 Kirkland Signature Napa Valley Red Blend begins with a pleasing aroma full of ripe black cherry and other red fruits plus some sweet spice, vanilla, cola, black pepper and a hint of cigar box. 

Taking a sip reveals a balanced, smooth and silky medium-bodied wine but unfortunately it is lacking some of the depth and complexity of past vintages. In the mouth there's plenty of fruit (plum, cherry and assorted berries) and similar flavors to the nose like vanilla, cedar, sage, tobacco and more. Also, unlike previous vintages this iteration tastes a tad sweet to me. 

Some nice spice notes develop on the mid-palate and lead into the long finish. Overall, while it is still worth the price, we felt that it was not quite as good as the last time we reviewed it.

88 Wine Enthusiast

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone. It’s a balmy 47 degrees today and I’m off to PT for balance. Like a good patient, I’ve started doing my exercises at home. I haven’t worn jeans in years because I find them uncomfortable.

I will always celebrate volunteer day. When women went to work, the volunteer corps slowed down. We need volunteers now more than ever. So many worthy causes.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Those who aren't addicted to the Daily haven’t hung out here long enough.

Jeans are pretty much all I wear in cold weather. I have a few pair of dress slacks. That's it.

image.png.65ebcfda92a711e3abbb8ee713432067.png

Sandi I wonder also what's hiding in Ann's picture?

I'll bet Debbie has some great chicken recipes. Looking forward to reading them.

image.png.7284dfeb1dd59a44d5605444e6ca66a2.png

Prayers for all in need. Thank you to our volunteers.

Cheers and blessings. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days that I am sure many will enjoy celebrating.  I’ll happily celebrate volunteers - they are so key to so many organizations and our society.

I like today’s quote and I do have left over chicken in the fridge.

FA0CCAB9-38AD-4126-8979-C2E481B82DA5.thumb.jpeg.9dc51613d85cbf5b9b3f08e9e014665d.jpeg

Not much on the agenda today as of yet - some financial matter to attend to (ugh) and a cautious attempt to begin cleaning since I have literally done nothing (other than laundry) since I got home.  I couldn’t find that elf on the shelf last night to do it so I have try.

E789C993-06A1-4CEC-BF75-F2564642CE35.thumb.jpeg.ed469f500fb5d548a66182f501a5c918.jpeg

Thank heavens for dishwashers 😉 I’ll try not to do this kind of cleaning 😉 

9544337A-ED4D-4ABA-8F36-F1F20974C10D.thumb.jpeg.5fa9f42208a925050c8b5a71126cc1b6.jpeg

@Crazy For CatsJake - Happy Birthday to Ashlee - what a pretty girl!

@summer slope Dixie - I was going to use the wet noodle because you keep apologizing - not because you are late posting wink

@rafinmdRoy - Great to hear that you got your computer issue resolved 👍 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

55D59328-9576-48B7-9CA5-7E0344C44610.thumb.jpeg.62b6cca0d40e647f9d6b072876fa3d7c.jpeg

have a great Monday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Haha 4

Good morning to all.  @aliaschief,  Bruce, yes I am addicted. Safe travels home today.

I have worn jeans most of my life except for work. I noticed that DD and DSIL both wear jeans on the days they go into the city for work.

Tonight I am making a chicken dish with shallots,lemon and vermouth that is popular here.

@rafinmd,Roy, I  appreciate  the inclusion  on the care list but I won't  know about surgery until next week. There are others with much more to deal with at this time.

Tana had a bit of a setback yesterday  and is on a different  antibiotic since then. Hopefully this will work.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5