Price Rises: Gratuities, Wifi, Medallion Shipping 🤑💰

Jadn13

If you have cruises booked, I suggest looking into pre payment if you haven’t upgraded  to a package.

Is the Elite Wifi reimbursement  still refunded as OBC? 

https://cruiseradio.net/princess-cruises-hikes-daily-gratuities-wifi/

Effective December 14th, for voyages sailing on or after February 20, 2023, daily gratuities for crew will increase to the following amounts:

• Interior, oceanview, and balcony cabins: $16 per person (is currently $14.50)
  • Mini Suites and Club Class: $17 per person (is currently $15.50)
  • Suites: $18 per person (is currently $16.50)

The daily gratuities are shared among the many members of Princess’ crew, including those in hotel, dining, and entertainment roles throughout the ship. Those with existing bookings will be able to pre-pay the gratuities for their cruise at the current rate until December 13, 2022.

Also effective for voyages sailing February 20, 2023 and beyond, Princess Cruises’ MedallionNet wifi will cost $15 per day for a single-device plan, and $40 per day for a four-device plan. Currently, the single-device plan costs $10. 

The line is also making an update to shipping for its Medallion devices, which allows guests to do things like unlock their cabin door and utilize contactless payment on board. Complimentary Medallion shipping to a guest’s home or office will continue for those purchasing the line’s inclusive Princess Plus or Princess Premier packages. Now, those who book a voyage without either of those packages on or after December 14th will be charged $10 per cabin to have them shipped. Medallions will still be free to pick up at the port

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, antsp said:

No need to pre pay gratuities, you can always adjust your tip amount at the desk

I prepaid just so there's one less thing to remember.  Plus, I get the cashback on my credit card for this year if I pay before the end of the month.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jangor said:

The price for WiFi is also having a considerable jump.  Apparently $25 per day additional charge.

Considering how dismal wifi reception is, I think that's absurd!  We certainly won't purchase it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jangor said:

The price for WiFi is also having a considerable jump.  Apparently $25 per day additional charge.

"Also effective for voyages sailing February 20, 2023 and beyond, Princess Cruises’ MedallionNet wifi will cost $15 per day for a single-device plan, and $40 per day for a four-device plan. Currently, the single-device plan costs $10. "

Platinum and Elite will still get their 50% discount pre-purchase ($7.50) after increase change.

• Like 1

Saw this just now as well. May be time to look around for other options. Have two cruises paid for before the "deadline" and one after and hate to pay in full for an August cruise that is barely booked and expect price drops will more than offset this new round of price hikes. Interesting that this is happening at the same time that 2024 itineraries are dropping for Europe and the new Sun ship. Sigh...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

"Also effective for voyages sailing February 20, 2023 and beyond, Princess Cruises’ MedallionNet wifi will cost $15 per day for a single-device plan, and $40 per day for a four-device plan. Currently, the single-device plan costs $10. "

Platinum and Elite will still get their 50% discount pre-purchase ($7.50) after increase change.

There is only a $5/day increase on the single-device plan, but a $20/day increase for the four-device plan (currently $20/day)?

We certainly will be adjusting our cruise spending in the future. I understand that Princess is facing financial problems, but aren’t we all? No more Princess Plus for us and likely no more internet. In our minds it simply isn’t worth it. That’s just our personal opinion. Everyone will have to decide for themselves though. I do think what Princess is doing will not help their bottom line in the long run as much as treating their customers better.

• Like 6

Just now, chubbypiggy said:

There is only a $5/day increase on the single-device plan, but a $20/day increase for the four-device plan (currently $20/day)?

50% increase on 1 device

100% increase on the 4 devices

It's absurd how they raise prices!

I was so looking forward to reaching Platinum and getting free Wi-Fi.

2 hours ago, antsp said:

No need to pre pay gratuities, you can always adjust your tip amount at the desk

Per Princess web site....................

Crew Appreciation is subject to adjustment, at your discretion, at any time during the cruise up to the time you settle your onboard account prior to disembarkation.

I adjust them every time. They are merely suggestions. The packages are starting to exceed some fares.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, damiross said:

I was so looking forward to reaching Platinum and getting free Wi-Fi.

Maybe you didn't know that Platinum and Elites no longer get free Wi-Fi. They dumped that a while ago and now we get a "discount" on the new rates. This new set-up is absolutely insane for the lousy service that you get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Per Princess web site....................

Crew Appreciation is subject to adjustment, at your discretion, at any time during the cruise up to the time you settle your onboard account prior to disembarkation.

I adjust them every time. They are merely suggestions. The packages are starting to exceed some fares.

Adjust them how?  Do you add more or take them off?  Every time?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chubbypiggy said:

Pre-payment to get the current amount only applies to gratuities?  How about pre-payment now to get the current pricing for the 4-device internet?

Yes, you can do that. My cruise in 2024 has the old pricing and I am able to purchase 

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

The line is also making an update to shipping for its Medallion devices, which allows guests to do things like unlock their cabin door and utilize contactless payment on board. Complimentary Medallion shipping to a guest’s home or office will continue for those purchasing the line’s inclusive Princess Plus or Princess Premier packages. Now, those who book a voyage without either of those packages on or after December 14th will be charged $10 per cabin to have them shipped. Medallions will still be free to pick up at the port

For some reason, I had a flash back to the eighties...

Susan Powter "Stop the Insanity". 1990's infomercial that played seemingly  non-stop. : r/nostalgia

I think Mr. Padgett mistakenly thinks he is still at Disney ... where there is little direct competition,

they are always over-subscribed, and love-blind customers will pay any amount for their product.

I don't think Princess is the same as Disney in any of those areas.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Maybe you didn't know that Platinum and Elites no longer get free Wi-Fi. They dumped that a while ago and now we get a "discount" on the new rates. This new set-up is absolutely insane for the lousy service that you get.

I know I don't. I had been looking forward to free Wi-Fi but am disappointed that Princess took away a reward.

Edited by damiross

16 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Yes, you can do that. My cruise in 2024 has the old pricing and I am able to purchase 

Thank you for the information.  I just purchased the 4-device plan for $10/day (Elite discount) for my 27 days (2023) and my 20 days  (2024).  Saved $470 by purchasing it now instead of after 12/14.    

• Like 5

I am a little confused with the changes.   I have booked a cruise for August 2023.  I took the Princess Plus package at the time.  So my crew appreciation is covered.  Will it still be covered with the new increase?  We, like so many of you, are finding this nickel and diming stuff for loyal customers is very frustrating.  We will start looking into alternate cruise lines.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

I am a little confused with the changes.   I have booked a cruise for August 2023.  I took the Princess Plus package at the time.  So my crew appreciation is covered.  Will it still be covered with the new increase?  We, like so many of you, are finding this nickel and diming stuff for loyal customers is very frustrating.  We will start looking into alternate cruise lines.

I have the same question. It’s not clear in the email just what needs to be prepaid to get the prior pricing.