Smoking weed

CharmedLifer

One word- demographics .

@CharmedLiferYou may want to consider a different cruise line for your vacations.

For example,Celebrity and Princess have higher fares than Carnival, but those cruises have ,for the most part, a different clientele. 

IMHO,you get what you pay for.😉

Edited by MJSailors
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

but today, with all the edibles currently on the market, there really is no need for someone to sit and smoke the stuff. 

THIS 👆

I could really give two hoots if someone wants to get a good weed buzz on while cruising! But the smell of most weed is pervasive, invasive and hard to stomach for alot of people. I really don't enjoy the smell of it at all. When I travel to cities where it's legal and I have to go through a haze of it just walking down the road, the smell is overwhelming sometimes. But there are so many other forms of it now that you can ingest to get high that there is zero reason for impacting someone else's vacation by having your fumes permeate their balcony. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

This is Carnival’s new clientele. Get used to it or move on to better lines. I did.

This is nothing "new". My first cruise was in 1997 and we could smell weed in our hallway (didn't have a balcony back then as I was a poor college student) all week long. And in fact, the morning of embarkation, we had the drug dogs in our hallway going in each and every cabin looking for the guilty party. We thought it was the college aged guys a few cabins down from us, but I heard from several people in our hallway that it ended up being the couple in their late 60's/early 70's who had a cabin at the very end of our hallway.

1 minute ago, MistyRo76 said:

This is nothing "new". My first cruise was in 1997 and we could smell weed in our hallway (didn't have a balcony back then as I was a poor college student) all week long. And in fact, the morning of embarkation, we had the drug dogs in our hallway going in each and every cabin looking for the guilty party. We thought it was the college aged guys a few cabins down from us, but I heard from several people in our hallway that it ended up being the couple in their late 60's/early 70's who had a cabin at the very end of our hallway.

Nobody’s saying it never happened before. Just that it is far more prevalent on pretty much every cruise now and Carnival is doing nothing about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

Well, according to the OP it will do no good. The security not very good on CCL. 

Of course you can report it, but it wont do any good unless they catch them red handed. 

Maybe it makes you feel better reporting it to security. Whatever floats your boat..😁

Both my wife and I have lung issues and not being able to enjoy our balcony because of smoke (cigarette or otherwise) would be an issue. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Both my wife and I have lung issues and not being able to enjoy our balcony because of smoke (cigarette or otherwise) would be an issue. 

Both my daughter and son have sensitive lungs as well, and can't tolerate second hand smoke.  If there's an issue, I'll be at the guest services desk loudly complaining, and won't leave until they do something. 

• Like 5

There is no way for anyone to know that Carnival isn't doing anything about it. The penalty for being caught is a fine. So unless you have spoken directly to someone who was smoking and asked if Carnival fined them, you have no way of knowing. I mentioned on another thread that I happened to be next door to someone who was fined. We reported the issues several times and they were warned at first and fined for the repeat offense. They had to pay the $500 before leaving the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thread probably will be deleted, but...

The same way that Carnival wants to discourage people from smuggling alcohol onboard (primarily because it impacts revenue), they want to discourage people from smuggling weed/pot/MJ/etc onboard. If people can "medicate" themselves, that cuts Carnival out of the loop. Not to mention issues associated with the fire hazard of lit smoking materials.. and lit people, lol

Tom 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

There is no way for anyone to know that Carnival isn't doing anything about it. The penalty for being caught is a fine. So unless you have spoken directly to someone who was smoking and asked if Carnival fined them, you have no way of knowing. I mentioned on another thread that I happened to be next door to someone who was fined. We reported the issues several times and they were warned at first and fined for the repeat offense. They had to pay the $500 before leaving the ship.

If they were doing anything the problem would not be getting worse.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

They had to pay the $500 before leaving the ship.

So if they refused to pay the fine, they could stay on the ship and get a back to back cruise? Or maybe they could stay forever and have it as their new residence.

That reminds me of when we went to an AI in Jamaica in 1997 for our 20th anniversary. There was a tax to leave Jamaica. The woman in front of us in the line at the airport said she could not pay it as she had spent all her money on her vacation there. They did not make her stay!

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So if they refused to pay the fine, they could stay on the ship and get a back to back cruise? Or maybe they could stay forever and have it as their new residence.

That reminds me of when we went to an AI in Jamaica in 1997 for our 20th anniversary. There was a tax to leave Jamaica. The woman in front of us in the line at the airport said she could not pay it as she had spent all her money on her vacation there. They did not make her stay!

I have no idea what happens if you can't pay the fine. The guy said he didn't have it and he was trying to get his family to help him. I assume you sign some kind of promise to pay or get banned from Carnival if you can't.  Obviously you can't stay on the ship.

Edited by starstruck05

Hi, I smoke weed. I am also in my mid-50's and IT IS prescribed.

Yes, I know all the laws and issues about traveling with it and all that.

THAT SAID....If anyone is sitting anywhere onboard smoking green bud, they're stupid and you should call security just as you should for a cigarette or cigar smoker, it is a fire hazard issue (ashes flying overboard)

I prefer vaping. It is pure weed THC oil, not wonky stuff like they do with the flavored cigarette stuff. It's just weed oil, nothing more. Many of them have little to no scent, some even smell fruity. It is due to the strain type, not additives. If you vape, you do not have to do the choo-choo train smoke thing, that's stupid. I can sit next to someone, take a hit and gently release it and no one ever knows. A fart smells worse and no one knows who did that.

Edibles hit different, it's just not the same. How would like to buy a drink, consume your drink but you won't feel anything from your drink in maybe 30 minutes or maybe 2 hours, never know. How'd you enjoy that, and it's not even the same buzz.

I do not drink. Don't care for it, doesn't agree with me. I am also ADD/ADHD, which like most our age, wasn't figured out until I was, well, about this age. I have struggled for years with some things, not a psycho, I swear, it has allowed me to slow down and be more calm, less reactive. Rather I dope up on pills like valium?

After a while, you really don't get a buzz. You don't get high, I just kind of feel normal thanks to weed. I'm not lying, it saved my life.

So while it's illegal, there are ways to be low profile.

There are folks, like myself, where it has changed my life. Not everyone is abusing it, like alcohol.

I WOULD NEVER ADVOCATE ILLEGAL USE OR TRANSPORTATION OF ANY DRUGS

• Like 8

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

One word- demographics .

@CharmedLiferYou may want to consider a different cruise line for your vacations.

For example,Celebrity and Princess have higher fares than Carnival, but those cruises have ,for the most part, a different clientele. 

IMHO,you get what you pay for.😉

So are you saying that those who use marijuana can’t afford expensive vacations? I know many people who smoke/vape/edibles, lawyers, business owners, school administrators, finance directors, social workers (one just got back from a 3 week trip to Italy). I don’t know what demographic you are referencing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

It used to be common that boarding was delayed on any ship returning from a Jamaica port stop because there were so many guests who thought they could bring back weed.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

So are you saying that those who use marijuana can’t afford expensive vacations? I know many people who smoke/vape/edibles, lawyers, business owners, school administrators, finance directors, social workers (one just got back from a 3 week trip to Italy). I don’t know what demographic you are referencing.

I think we assume those demographics are smarter than those firing up a bowl on an open balcony on a cruise ship.  

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My demo

Mid 50's male, white, retired. 6' 170#, so I am not fat. 

Entrepreneur, I started a company in 2000 and sold in 2020. Look it up, my name will help.

So....she's wrong there 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Do the lawyers you know who use marijuana, sneak it into their inside stateroom’s bathroom on a Carnival cruise?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

My demo

Mid 50's male, white, retired. 6' 170#, so I am not fat. 

Entrepreneur, I started a company in 2000 and sold in 2020. Look it up, my name will help.

So....she's wrong there 

I'd never heard of Engine Ice !

Tom

Don't believe everything you read

I have been on eleven Carnival cruises since the restart. I have sailed out of 4 or 5 different ports, on everything from a 3-day party boat to 14-day Journeys cruises. Smelling marijuana smoke has been infrequent, if not rare for me. I have had more of a problem with cigarette smokers, and DH and I have not been shy about reminding people of the rules. That usually shuts it down. 

I am not doubting that there are cruises where this might be a problem, but there is no way that it is all the time on every ship. And if you don't take steps to correct it, it won't get better. Complain to the steward. Complain to guest services. Go home and complain to the company. I like cruising Carnival and I will be damned if I am going to let smokers ruin my fun. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Do the lawyers you know who use marijuana, sneak it into their inside stateroom’s bathroom on a Carnival cruise?

Honestly I can’t imagine any that I know on a carnival cruise, never mind smoking it on a shop (one couple I referenced have a Viking cruise booked for next summer I believe). 

Hey OP, we had this same issue on our last two cruises. We want to sit on our balcony and enjoy the view. I don't want to smell weed while I'm out there. If it's illegal to bring on board, it should be enforced, but clearly it's not. I'm hoping we won't have this issue on our next cruise. We are paying a lot more for a balcony than an inside room so it will be quite disappointing if we come across this again. While I'm not against marijuana, I just feel that if it's not allowed on board then don't bring it and smoke it. Period.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

#1 selling coolant and antifreeze in the motorcycle and powersports industry.

Folks who bought me out ain't foolin around, you'll be seeing more of it. 

I guess it's too late to claim that you stole the idea from me, huh?  😉

BTW, I don't mind the smell of pot smoke (in all its variants), it's cigarette smoke which really gets to me.

Tom

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I guess it's too late to claim that you stole the idea from me, huh?  😉

BTW, I don't mind the smell of pot smoke (in all its variants), it's cigarette smoke which really gets to me.

Tom

Probably

I'm an ex-smoker, and I really can't stand that stale smoke smell. I don't mind a little weed smell, but a giant cloud or constantly would be bothersome.

BTW, my wife hates the smell of weed bud smoke, she complains whenever she smells it, but she she never says anything about my vaping unless a particular strain has a "weedy" smell. 

• Like 1