Brewed Coffee in Buffet and MDR during breakfast? Quality?

aprilsp88

It is brewed, I’ve seen them refilling the pots and the filters they use are HUGE 🙂

I’ve always enjoyed their brewed coffee. I don’t particularly like Starbucks, but I like HALs brewed coffee. 
my husband is a coffee snob and he much prefers the coffee extra charge coffee at the Dutch cafe/Explorations cafe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have always thought the Lido coffee was pretty bad.  That being said, we prefer a full bodied coffee that tastes like coffee, not weak dishwater.  Depending on the HAL ship, the coffee we have had in the MDR is somewhat better.   In the interests of full disclosure, most cruise ship coffee is not our cup of tea (coffee).  But there are exceptions.  MSC has decent coffee in their Yacht Club restaurant (we have never dined in their regular MDR).  And Seabourn will deliver French Press coffee (in the press) on request, and it is quite good.  Their regular coffee is so-so.  Princess also has pretty decent coffee at their International Cafe where it is brewed in small carafe batches.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have complained about how bad the coffee is in the Lido on every cruise we've been on, on the post cruise survey. I had an answer from HAL after one cruise hoping that they could do better for our next cruise, they didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Can you share your experience on the quality of Coffee in Buffet and MDR during breakfast? Is it brewed (not from syrup)? Is it comparable to Starbucks. Thanks.

Best description is what a waiter at breakfast in the MDR once asked. "Coffee from the engine room?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you like cruise coffee, you will like it...if you don't you won't. I tend to think all "Lido" deck coffee is undrinkable. On Celebrity it is clearly labeled "Lavazza"...which is a well known European brand and it is dreck...just like the HAL coffee in the Lido...dreck.  The only decent cup is the extra charge coffee in Explorations/Dutch cafe. It is espresso based and pretty main line stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anytime the coffee is brewed with extremely hot water, it will be bitter.  Some days I could tolerate the Lido coffee and other days, I could not.  On our most recent trip, I probably went to Explorations Cafe half the time.  Coffee is important to me first thing and if it's bad, then my day is going downhill.  I am an admitted coffee snob.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I think they get it from the Lido   ......😁

I kind of doubt that. Lido coffee was thin and blah. Pinnacle was robust and wonderful. At least that was what I found on the zuiderdam last month. I'd love to be able to replicate the pinnacle coffee at home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yerdua said:

I kind of doubt that. Lido coffee was thin and blah. Pinnacle was robust and wonderful. At least that was what I found on the zuiderdam last month. I'd love to be able to replicate the pinnacle coffee at home.

I have found the MDR decaf brew to be a step up too, not as good as the Exploration cafe but far better than the lido.  Proximity to the Exploration Cafe is my newest cabin selection criteria.😁

Obviously HAL would rather sell its coffee than give it away and I would prefer not to buy it if I don't have to.  What do you ask for if you want a cup of coffee with your dessert in the MDR and all you want is a cup of regular coffee with cream?

The Lido coffee is probably the worst coffee on the ship. However, I have a few cups every morning when breakfasting there and find it acceptable. Perhaps they are going through it fast enough in the morning to avoid that nasty "this coffee has been on the heat for too long a time" taste. 

Mitzi does not like to eat a big breakfast so I always bring her a coffee and pastry from Explorations or Dutch Cafe (depending on the ship). Then I head to the Lido for bacon, eggs, hash browns, raisin buns and whatever other delights catch my eye. I usually have Congee at least once. 

I will also try the MDR for breakfast early in the cruise, if the service is good I will return a few times. On the Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov 2021 service was fantastic and we ate several breakfasts there - loved the Full English and the Aloo Masala and Egg Bhurji. In April 2022 on the Nieuw Statendam, the service was pretty spotty and the food was also not quite as good.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Obviously HAL would rather sell its coffee than give it away and I would prefer not to buy it if I don't have to.  What do you ask for if you want a cup of coffee with your dessert in the MDR and all you want is a cup of regular coffee with cream?

I get the decaf in the MDR.  It is the only place I ever drink decaf.  I find it better than any other free coffee on HAL.  Then ask for cream.  Specify cream if that is what you want, if you would rather milk then ask

Just some more words about Starbucks and coffee in general.  I like some Starbucks roasts but cannot use any of their products in my home Super automatic Machine (a Jura which is made in Switzerland).  Why?  Starbucks overroasts its coffees which allows some of the oils to come out of the bean and coat the exterior.  This makes the beans look very nice and shiny but is the kiss of death to most of the higher end super automatics.  (a super automatic grinds the beans, moves them into a chamber where they are steamed, extracts the espresso (or other delights like Americano) and also has the ability to steam milk.  But these machines have complex internal mechanisms that can be clogged and ruined by all those external oils on overroasted coffees.  So, we use Lavazza (imported from Italy) or Illy (also imported from Italy) where they do not overroast their beans.  The Italian roasters understand that the oils (which contain much of the flavor) are best left inside the bean until it is part of the brew.  Overroasting and bringing those oils to the exterior simply allows them to dry out along with some of the flavor.  

Having said all that, I still do enjoy the stronger overroasted Starbucks coffees (i.e. French Roast, Italian Roast, Pike Place, etc).  At one time HAL used Seattle's Best which is a pretty decent brand of coffee bean.  But they have since cut-back to a much less expensive commercial brand (or non-brand).  I might add that Princess uses Lavazza at their International Cafe.  I do not know what HAL is currently using at Explorations. 

Hank

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just some more words about Starbucks and coffee in general.  I like some Starbucks roasts but cannot use any of their products in my home Super automatic Machine (a Jura which is made in Switzerland).  Why?  Starbucks overroasts its coffees which allows some of the oils to come out of the bean and coat the exterior.  This makes the beans look very nice and shiny but is the kiss of death to most of the higher end super automatics.  (a super automatic grinds the beans, moves them into a chamber where they are steamed, extracts the espresso (or other delights like Americano) and also has the ability to steam milk.  But these machines have complex internal mechanisms that can be clogged and ruined by all those external oils on overroasted coffees.  So, we use Lavazza (imported from Italy) or Illy (also imported from Italy) where they do not overroast their beans.  The Italian roasters understand that the oils (which contain much of the flavor) are best left inside the bean until it is part of the brew.  Overroasting and bringing those oils to the exterior simply allows them to dry out along with some of the flavor.  

Having said all that, I still do enjoy the stronger overroasted Starbucks coffees (i.e. French Roast, Italian Roast, Pike Place, etc).  At one time HAL used Seattle's Best which is a pretty decent brand of coffee bean.  But they have since cut-back to a much less expensive commercial brand (or non-brand).  I might add that Princess uses Lavazza at their International Cafe.  I do not know what HAL is currently using at Explorations. 

Hank

Lavazza and Illy are my favorite coffees. Thanks to your detailed explanation, I now know why! Of course Lavazza is impossible to find in my part of rural Tennessee, but sometimes Wally World has Illy. Thank goodness for online shopping. 

I enjoy the Lido coffee, but then being a sailor I am used to some pretty savage brews. I once used a dirty T-shirt as a filter out in the field…