The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 9th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Christmas Card Day, Lost and Found Day, and Genocide Prevention Day

Chance is perhaps the pseudonym of God when he does not want to sign.--Théophile Gautier

Meal Suggestion for today - Moroccan Meatballs
Drink of the Day - Yule Nog
Wine of the Day - Chateau Gaudrelle 2018 Clos le Vigneau (Vouvray)
Destination of the Day - Apia, Upolo, Samoa

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12/10

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 12/10

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 12/10

Nieuw Statendam

Bimini Sands Resort

Oosterdam

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile 11:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay eta 12/10

Volendam

Sea Day Destination Bridgetown Barbados Eta 12/10

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Praia, Cape Verde eta 12/10

Zuiderdam

Dry Dock Freeport, Bahamas Completion 12/14

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Melbourne, Victoria Australia eta 12/11

Westerdam

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 8:00 AM To 11:00 PM

1210World.thumb.png.5562cf99d4a05704182c73f10d9a7777.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from a sunny but freezing 0°C North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

A few important days today.

Not sure about today's food and drink.

Never been to today's port.

Best wishes for better health to everyone on @rafinmdRoy's care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.Screenshot_20221209_112940.thumb.jpg.a171677923bcd9c9dcc4f6ebe9d081ed.jpgScreenshot_20221209_112920.thumb.jpg.cf23f141a1ad55888d72083f64506018.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Yule Nog Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam® Bourbon
1 part DeKuyper® Buttershots® Schnapps
4 parts Prepared Eggnog
Fresh ground Nutmeg

Instructions
Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a dusting of fresh ground nutmeg. NOTE: Adjust quantity of prepared eggnog to your taste preferences.
*This cocktail can also be made in a punch bowl and served by ladling into punch cups.

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 6.38.37 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  A cold morning here.  I've pretty much stopped doing Christmas cards but will salute Lost and Found and Genocide Prevention (we could sure use that in Ukraine).  I love  the Gautier quote and was headed for Apia on the Crystal Serenity in 2018 but the stop was cancelled due to renovations by the port.  I'll pass on the meatballs.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, Grilled Ribeye Steak Spicy Pear Salsa, and Apple Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam December 9, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa.
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and dangerous procedure looming
summer slope DH with covid and both quarantined
Aliaschief with streptococcal pneumonia
lazey1 and segarsmoker with post cruise Covid
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Tana with pneumonia hoping for continuing results from new antibiotic
Cruising along severe flu
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 Db in rehab
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Work in progress on Cruzin Terri’s house
Erewhon and lazey1 back on Cruise Critic
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
2 day.s for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
1 daysfor Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Welcome home Lady Hudson
 Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11) SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another cool cloudy day here.

A good collection of days, I have more Christmas cards to write, guess I'll do that today.  We need to do what we can to prevent genocide.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine.

Thought provoking quote.

Looking forward to seeing today's recipe.

The drink sounds good for the season, hope the wine is tasty too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  A cold morning here.  I've pretty much stopped doing Christmas cards but will salute Lost and Found and Genocide Prevention (we could sure use that in Ukraine).  I love  the Gautier quote and was headed for Apia on the Crystal Serenity in 2018 but the stop was cancelled due to renovations by the port.  I'll pass on the meatballs.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, Grilled Ribeye Steak Spicy Pear Salsa, and Apple Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam December 9, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa.
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and dangerous procedure looming
summer slope DH with covid and both quarantined
Aliaschief with streptococcal pneumonia
lazey1 and segarsmoker with post cruise Covid
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Tana with pneumonia hoping for continuing results from new antibiotic
Cruising along severe flu
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 Db in rehab
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Work in progress on Cruzin Terri’s house
Erewhon and lazey1 back on Cruise Critic
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
2 day.s for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
1 daysfor Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Welcome home Lady Hudson
 Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11) SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's updated lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 9

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days especially Genocide Prevention.  Guess I celebrated Xmas card day early, since mine went out yesterday 😉 Neat quote today 👍

Windy and drizzly again today, but at least it’s not snow (yet - later on today / this weekend, it will).  And it looks like that hurricane/tropical storm Owen will not form and should not have any major effect to anyone 👍 So, now all I have to worry about is regular winter weather LOL 🙂 

C53B0A87-3456-4DAD-B80F-6E616919EEA9.thumb.jpeg.8e2f1000574d148983cffed4f2a4b719.jpeg

Today will be a Christmas present prep day so I can gift them before I go away (assuming I can) as well as considering what to pack and if I want to be burdened with snow boots.  LOL.

DD222AF2-6A64-4A16-BD32-CDBB0A553967.thumb.jpeg.70eac4f3591957ebd5cd981897076897.jpeg

@USN59-79so sorry to hear about your broken fibula. 😞  Hope your visit with the orthopaedic surgeon today goes well 🤞 

@summer slope I’m very sad to hear that your DH  has covid and worse that he is not doing well. 😞  I hope he improves quickly can recover easily and is soon feeling 100% again 🙏🏻 

@lazey1Never feel guilty about posting anything.  I am relieved to hear you think you will be back to normal on Monday.  It sounds like the meds are helping

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

A23947C4-F60C-434B-993E-E4E19C6F7DE5.jpeg.9a0587e55bae75120f5bc14e64173ba3.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I would probably be OK with either the Moroccan meatballs or Roy's alternative. I often use Middle Eastern spices in cooking, although not specifically Moroccan. Will pass on the drink unless it's made lactose-free.

Two news stories to share. The first is about group A strep, which we were discussing yesterday, specifically "invasive" cases that can become life-threatening. “Rates of iGAS are highest at extremes of age — in children and the elderly,” Michael Marks, an associate professor at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine told The Post. “This is not fully understood but may reflect immunity.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/12/06/what-is-strep-a-infection-symptoms/

The second is about a sheep dog who, protecting his sheep, killed eight coyotes, and was nearly killed himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/12/09/sheepdog-coyote-attack-killed-eight/

I'm managing a Hanukkah dinner and concert on the 18th, and it's very wearing. The musicians are very easy to work with; it's the dinner that's the problem, especially accommodating various dietary needs (vegan, gluten-free, low carb), which the constituents expect but the volunteer cooks are not very sympathetic to. (At least they're not telling me "There are no vegans" or "There is no such thing as celiac disorder," which the prior generation of cooks said.)  Low carb cannot really be accommodated when potato latkes are the main event, but I'm insisting on vegan and GF options. It's fine for the cooks, who get the applause if most of the people are able to eat the food, not for me since I receive the complaints--and our constituents are indefatigable complainers. I said last night that I'd retire today if I hadn't invited a rather famous speaker for the spring.

2046761712_nutcrackerfruitcake.thumb.jpg.ce42d18484ef0e2fed9caac4ae10d119.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone.

I hope this morning finds our sick bay residents a bit better.  

It is supposed to be mild and overcast today, so I'll go do my walking laps this morning.  I'm having great fun discovering the neighborhood by walking around it.  Yesterday I discovered I could walk to doctor's appointments easily.  It takes about 30 minutes to get there and is a little over a mile.  There are a couple places where I need to cross busy streets with stoplights.  I never hit them where I can just keep walking.  

Since I managed to get license plates and put them on the car, along with a drivers license, today I am resting from my moving chores.  I'm going to spend the afternoon looking at excursions for next summer's cruise.  I think we've nailed down which ports are for walking around and which ones we want to book excursions in.  It is time to get excited about that cruise!

These Moroccan Meatballs are made with ground beef (or lamb), onions, herbs and Moroccan spices.  Keeping with tradition, there's no eggs, bread or dairy in this recipe. These flavor-packed little kefta, simmered in a well-spiced fresh tomato sauce, make a wonderful main dish, with couscous or rice, and salad.

https://www.panningtheglobe.com/moroccan-meatballs/

1513856855_moroccanmeatballs1.thumb.jpg.e19a5473dd37eef943700f72b053e874.jpg

This next one is not the traditional version, but might be good on a hot day.  https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/grilled-moroccan-meatballs-with-yogurt-sauce.html

1075544043_moroccanmeatballs2.jpg.091463664cd70a4404935557ad7efc93.jpg

What makes these meatballs or any food “Moroccan”? You’ll notice warm spices like cinnamon, allspice, cumin, and coriander. In some ways, it may remind you a bit of curry. Often dried fruit like raisins or apricots are included, chickpeas are common, and sometimes olives or capers.

This next recipe incorporates those spices into the meatballs and sauce, but it different from the first two.  https://www.rachelcooks.com/moroccan-meatballs/

372772051_moroccanmeatballs3.thumb.jpg.ad20447f892e9aed834acd914fb5f645.jpg

Guy Fieri offers this recipe for a crowd.  If any of us is making it, we'd have to cut the recipe by a factor of 10.  Or plan to share with the neighbors up and down the block.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/moroccan-meatballs-recipe-2059828

2096256016_moroccanmeatballs5.jpeg.6f6acf61a50d5103005d9296508a26ff.jpeg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and rapid healing to those who are ailing, including @summer slope's DH.  Let's hope you don't show up positive, Dixie.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

Good morning friends!  A beautiful day at sea and we're keeping it at 19 knots this morning.  If all goes well the Volendam will arrive on time in Barbados at 8 am tomorrow.  Dixie @summer slope I hope George had a better night and is feeling improved this morning.  Also hope your test today comes back negative again.  If there is anything I can get you I would be happy to drop it off at your door for you.  Just call my room, email me or post something here, whichever you prefer.

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor today's Daily and Fleet Report.  My neighbor mailed my Christmas cards on time for me.  Thank you Diana!  I am grateful for lost and founds because it helps to reunite folks with their belongings.  Genocide prevention is something any sane individual can stand behind.  The meatballs look great Debbie @dfish.  Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Hoping and praying for healing for all on the Care list.  Cheers ring out for the Celebration list people.

Apia, Upolo,Samoa is a first time port destination of the day.  I'm happy to say we were there on our Golden Princess 2014 South Pacific cruise.  But I am unhappy saying that the ship's wifi does not allow me to get anywhere on the Shutterfly site so I can retrieve photos from that day.  All I can get is the circle of death!  Anyway I hope someone else can fill you all in on that port and show you some photos. 

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another stunning morning here. Bindi and I had a gorgeous moonlit bedtime walk last night.  No need for a flashlight. 
Some friends on the coast sent me these amazing moonrise pics. 

4B06F811-46EF-4947-9336-25A0E2CCCB31.jpeg.e5c663a6808e53c48db2eb839788f54f.jpeg

134A1D33-17B9-4DE7-84A0-79D0E4550AC8.jpeg.c29d0b9f6fd0a1e8425512cb7cc8bfee.jpeg

Roy, thank you for keeping up with us! Off to the gym. Bindi walks. More chores. 

AC5ED475-8CFA-48A7-8BD1-851FBDF8F51B.jpeg.e1fa6c29ffcfd9b348f08f4dec552f97.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Chateau Gaudrelle 2018 Clos le Vigneau (Vouvray)

One reviewer describes this Vouvray as “a whisker from dry”. I would love a taste, and if it is truly off dry, I would probably love it. All released vintages share the same excellent ratings. A bit elusive, but I did find a couple online distributors with prices starting at $23.49.

Winemaker Notes

Off dry in style with honey, earth and apricot notes. Crisp and medium bodied. Wines from the town of Vouvray have been known to age well for 40 years.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

Produced by Alexandre Monmousseau, scion of a distinguished local family, this wine is ripe, full-bodied and splendidly rich. Just getting ready to drink, the wine is generous and full of dried apple and peach flavors. Good now, it will age well, certainly until 2025. Kysela Père et Fils.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today's meal suggestion sounded good and @dfish confirmed it with her pictures and recipes.  It's chillier today than yesterday, about a 20 degree drop.  I started Informed Delivery this week and the first picture came in today and it will be a Christmas card from our pet sitter.  Our cards will go out tomorrow, assuming I finish them today.  This morning I also submitted my CCL stock statement for our May and July cruises.

Another picture from San Juan.

20191222_182151.thumb.jpg.c0db94705953527090208bd04b904ca7.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning from Miami,

it is a bright beautiful morning here.

Thank you @richwmn Rich for the Fleet Report and Daily.

What a nice collection of days.

Genocide should be abolished, not just prevented.  Lots of people don’t write Christmas Cards any more.  We still do and love to receive them.  As for lost and found.  We always return things we find that belong to others.  More especially I am always praying to St. Anthony to find the things that I lost.  That seems to be lots of stuff lately.

I think I will skip the meal.  The drink sounds nice as does the wine.  

Interesting quote.

I have not been to the port.

Thank you @rafinmdRoy for the lists.

Prayers for all on the sick list.  It seems like it is growing.  Here’s hoping you all recover quickly.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.

Today we will go to Total Wine to get what we need.  Then I expect to rest for the remainder of the day.

There is a scale in the bathroom in this hotel.  I haven’t seen a scale since the flood happened.  So I stepped on it.  i was amazed at the fact that I lost 5 pounds since this ordeal started.  This is in spite of not eating right and more junk food than I am used to.  i really thought I would have gained weight. I guess the stress has really gotten to me.

I have to get ready for breakfast

Have a good day everyone,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Interesting collection of days today.  I ordered Christmas cards from a reputable online seller, but apparently checked off the wrong box when it came to size of cards.  I ended up with giant cards 6" x 9" which make us look like we're advertising some fancy dress/tux store, so they're not going out.  I'm waiting for a second batch (made sure the size was correct this time), and will hurry to address them and get them in the mail.  

True to form, the temperatures have warmed up considerably and we're currently sitting at a pleasant -8C, with a predicted high of -3C.  Today will be a good day to put on the high boots and head into the back yard where we'll clean off the feeders and replenish the stock so the pigs with wings have something to eat to keep them going.

Not much on the agenda today - I think I'll make a batch of butter tart slice; they're always good to have on hand and thaw quickly if there's drop-in company.  The only thing is I have to put them in opaque containers labeled "Broccoli Casserole" so DH doesn't eat them all before they're needed.  It's also the time of year when I stop recycling our margarine/yogurt containers so I can give leftovers, etc., to family members; that way they don't have to worry about returning my good containers.

I like today's menu suggestion, and I'm pretty sure DH would enjoy it as well, but it's going to have to wait for another day.  Of course, it's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so we'll check the menus and see what tickles our fancy.  Yes, it's pizza at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are in need, cheers for all the celebrations.  Be safe, stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Good morning Dailyites. 

A beautiful 62 degree morning. Birds are fluttering at the feeders.

We had a fun time with couples pedicures and lunch with the Cav guys. Our shop where we have our nails done gave my friend and I a huge box (48) of Ferrero Rocher candies each for Christmas. I will take them to my meeting this morning and pass them around. Our lunch was great. I had sauteed catfish with a spicy crab sauce. 

Dixie I'm happy to hear your DH feels better today and you stay negative. I have our tests packed in my carry bag. I hope we do not need to use them.

Prayers for all on Roy's well kept care list. I'm hoping the list shrinks down to zero for the new year and Roy has to spend an hour listing all the celebrations!

Well, the AC gremlin stopped by.. I have a heating/AC man coming today to see what's up. I'm so glad he was available in our neighborhood today. Hope it's nothing much. 

Tonight we will take Elvis and walk our neighborhood to see the lights. Singing will be involved and boy do we have some lovely carolers. Then we are invited to a Christmas kick off party. Will leave early so we can get a good nights sleep. Our friend picks us up at 8:00 for the airport. 

Have an awesome day. Blessings to our Daily-ites. 

image.png.ba85e455162fcafdbc39d52391cd16e6.png

• Like 21