What nonsense is this? Missed Port

AnitaVacation

On 12/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, AnitaVacation said:

Long story short.... our ship missed/skipped a port due to 'unforseen (cough cough) circumstances' .... and now they are telling everyone there will be no refund of the port fee?? 

So, the port was Puerta Plata.... they have not been going to Puerta Plata for like what? 2 months now?? Then there was talk that we might switch to Amber Cove....then, we couldn't go to Amber Cove because Carnival Celebration was going to be there that day....then, the night before, we were told....ooops, sorry...due to 'unforseen circumstances' we would not be calling on Puerta Plata, but instead we would make a stop at Great Stirrup Key (weird that the CD kept calling it Great Stirrup Key).... and then offered a bunch more new excursions available for GSC..anyway, we didn't go there either, water too rough (eye roll)...

Now, I don't expect the cruiselines to bend over to make us happy...it is what it is....But then I heard that we were not being refunded our port fees at all??? What kind of petty nonsense is that??  

I think I just got off my last NCL cruise..... prices up, services down and sorry we're keeping your money....lol (keep it, you apparantly need it more than me)

Your complaint is over a few dollars.... literally a few dollars. Did you notice a few dollars in OBC show up on your account... normally does. 

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Is this legal, we were not even told why we did not get a refund? Seems like a money grab.

Other NCL cruises I have been on, when we missed a port, we were refunded the port fees.

Read previous replies in the thread.  The port fees and taxes you pay at the time of booking are just an ESTIMATE.  The port doesn't collect on a per-passenger basis, so NCL estimates the per-passenger rate based on historical taxes and fees paid and historical passenger bookings for that itinerary.  If NCL under-estimated the port fees and taxes, any savings by skipping the one port would then be used to cover the cost over and above whatever was allocated for the remaining ports.

When I sailed in March we missed a port due to weather, there was a $10 credit on my account the next day.  IF a credit is due (because a port was missed and they will have then collected more than needed for the remaining port charges) then a refund will be issued.  In my case - I was on a cruise that had about 800 additional people on it than initially booked because of the Escape hitting a sand bar, so NCL had extra port fees and taxes collected.

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

We were on the Prima transatlantic (Sept 2022) and did not go to the Orkney islands due to weather, so did not go to the port.

We were not refunded the port fees.

Is this legal, we were not even told why we did not get a refund? Seems like a money grab.

Other NCL cruises I have been on, when we missed a port, we were refunded the port fees.

While we missed the port in Scotland, we spent an extra 8 hours in port in Iceland. Someone has to pay for those additional fees in Iceland and my guess is that those fees were higher than what we were charged for Scotland. Just glad that when port fees are higher than estimated, the cruise lines do not come back and charge for them. Not worth the stress for a few bucks,

• Like 2

If do to a weather, political, or "unforeseen" event I thought it was understood the cruise line (Captain) can change plans at any moment for safety of passengers and crew (as stated in contract.) 

It's happened to me, I don't believe I've ever expected a port fee back.

Was that an option? 

4 hours ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

If do to a weather, political, or "unforeseen" event I thought it was understood the cruise line (Captain) can change plans at any moment for safety of passengers and crew (as stated in contract.) 

It's happened to me, I don't believe I've ever expected a port fee back.

Was that an option? 

So, this was due to 'unforeseen' circumstances, however, NCL has not called on Puerta Plata in the last 2-3 months. Talk has been going on now about NCL putting two ships in the sand there and that their insurance will no longer cover them at that port.... I do not see this as 'unforeseen'... I see this as another cash grab by NCL as they continue to book itineries AND EXCURSIONS for this port.

For me, it's not about the money...it's about the principal...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Your complaint is over a few dollars.... literally a few dollars. Did you notice a few dollars in OBC show up on your account... normally does. 

no, my complaint is about how crappy this is to do to your customers....and no, there was no refund of any type.... the passengers that called the number given were told flat out 'no'. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hallux said:

Read previous replies in the thread.  The port fees and taxes you pay at the time of booking are just an ESTIMATE.  The port doesn't collect on a per-passenger basis, so NCL estimates the per-passenger rate based on historical taxes and fees paid and historical passenger bookings for that itinerary.  If NCL under-estimated the port fees and taxes, any savings by skipping the one port would then be used to cover the cost over and above whatever was allocated for the remaining ports.

When I sailed in March we missed a port due to weather, there was a $10 credit on my account the next day.  IF a credit is due (because a port was missed and they will have then collected more than needed for the remaining port charges) then a refund will be issued.  In my case - I was on a cruise that had about 800 additional people on it than initially booked because of the Escape hitting a sand bar, so NCL had extra port fees and taxes collected.

Nope, this does not make sense and is not reasonable.

Just because you express an opinion does not make it true. Happens all of the time here on CC, people spreading false information.

Please educate yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

While we missed the port in Scotland, we spent an extra 8 hours in port in Iceland. Someone has to pay for those additional fees in Iceland and my guess is that those fees were higher than what we were charged for Scotland. Just glad that when port fees are higher than estimated, the cruise lines do not come back and charge for them. Not worth the stress for a few bucks,

Good point but not communicated to the passengers. Is what you state here is what actually happened? Did NCL let you know this? Did you ask them?

Not stressing, just stating facts. I did not ask NCL about it.

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Nope, this does not make sense and is not reasonable.

Just because you express an opinion does not make it true. Happens all of the time here on CC, people spreading false information.

Please educate yourself.

I'll let @chengkp75 confirm or deny what I wrote, he is retired from the industry.  I read it in another thread and my explanation is what I remember from there about what happens. If you don't want to believe it, that's on you.

You don't think it's reasonable?  Taxes and port costs increase over time, if you book a 2024 cruise in 2022 and have port fees and taxes 'locked in' at a certain amount do you REALLY think those fees charged to the cruise line wouldn't increase in the 2 years before you cruise?  If there are fewer passengers on board than expected, the per-passenger fees and taxes are higher than estimated so any amount more than what is collected is covered by the cruise line (or would you rather they pass that on to you?).

2 hours ago, AnitaVacation said:

I see this as another cash grab by NCL as they continue to book itineries AND EXCURSIONS for this port.

For me, it's not about the money...it's about the principal

A "cash grab"?  You got your excursions refunded, didn't you?  In my previous example, where I WAS refunded something for the missed port earlier this year (see? NCL WILL refund money if more money for port fees and taxes were collected than was actually charged to the ship) I was refunded all of $10.  There were 3,000 or fewer passengers on the ship, that's $30,000, MAX.  Also - I imagine that Costa Maya's port fees were higher than an average of $10 per passenger, this was just the amount collected by the cruise line over and above what was actually charged by the ports visited.

It may be the PRINCIPLE to you, but if you look into how things actually work you might realize there are other factors that play into getting a refund or not...

NCL has been going to the Puerto Plata but using Amber Cove.  I thought a few were using Taino Bay, but I can’t say for sure.  We were there with another Carnival ship.  Not sure why this time was different.

Edited by Shidah

I’m honestly not surprised about a lack of refunds, many cruises would have been booked months ago, before all the oil price increases. NCL are actually entitled to add a fuel surcharge above the original cruise price and they haven’t done this, they’re probably using any port fees excesses to defray the increased fuel costs. 
However, if they skip a European port and don’t provide any compensation for it you could probably haul them over the coals with EU regulations, the airlines in Europe all got smacked for not refunding airport charges to customers who missed flights regardless of cause. The airlines are now supposed to provide such refunds but they make it as difficult as possible by requiring calls to a premium rate phone number where the time you spend on hold will probably cost more than the refund would be worth, but they are obeying the letter of the law.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:01 PM, BirdTravels said:

Agree the fee is nominal but would NCL see it that way if the situation were reversed?  Say I underpaid my booking by $15… would they suck it up because it’s literally a few dollars?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AnitaVacation said:

no, my complaint is about how crappy this is to do to your customers....and no, there was no refund of any type.... the passengers that called the number given were told flat out 'no'. 

As an aside, I’ve read where some people purchase trip insurance that pays out for missed ports of call. They celebrate when ports of call are missed. 

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

would they suck it up because it’s literally a few dollars?

Has NCL EVER asked you for more money for port fees and taxes because they under-estimated what each passenger's responsibility was supposed to be?

Just now, hallux said:

Has NCL EVER asked you for more money for port fees and taxes because they under-estimated what each passenger's responsibility was supposed to be?

Of course not. Nor have they ever refunded me when/if they’ve over estimated and collected too much. But that wasn’t my point. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, AnitaVacation said:

This was the Getaway on 12/6 & 12/7 (Puerta Plata on 12/6 moved to GSC on 12/7, but didn't go to either)

Interesting that Cruise Mapper does list it in port that day, along with 3 other ships.

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove (Dominicana) cruise port schedule | CruiseMapper

But the Amber Cove website does not list them on the schedule.

Port Schedule (ambercove.com)

Nor does the Taino Bay port.

Taino Bay, Puerto Plata (porttainobay.com)

Also note Amber Cove had both a Carnival and NCL ship in port the day before on the 5th. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Philandjulie said:

We were on that Prima T/A as well - we did get an extra 5 hours in Iceland though.  That would have involved extra port charges so NCL would have just used the Orkney Islands fees to cover Iceland?  I don't see it was a money grab.

We were too.  Do you know if Iceland actually charged more?  Did they ever say that when the Captain said we were missing a port and ...don't harass Guest Relations...?  They never said we are using missed port fees for extra time in Iceland.

10 hours ago, IronRobi said:

Interesting that Cruise Mapper does list it in port that day, along with 3 other ships.

Also note Amber Cove had both a Carnival and NCL ship in port the day before on the 5th. 

It will be interesting to see where we end up. Our January 8th cruise on the Getaway is suppose to stop in Puerto Plata on January 17th. We are suppose to dock at Taino Bay. Looking at the schedule for Amber Cove they have a max of two ships and they are booked for that day. 

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

They never said we are using missed port fees for extra time in Iceland.

So because they didn't specifically tell you that's what they were doing they aren't allowed to do it?  Staying extra time in port costs the cruise line money - they need to pay for shoreside people to support the ship being there, plus fees for just occupying the space at the pier (like feeding a parking meter) - so it seems to make sense that if a port was missed any extra port fees and taxes collected for that port would end up covering a longer stay in another port.

On 12/11/2022 at 7:08 AM, AnitaVacation said:

I think the last time we missed GSC, a $9 credit showed up on our account. We didn't even notice it. Despite what you were told, did you see a mystery $9 or $10 credit?

58 minutes ago, hallux said:

so it seems to make sense that if a port was missed any extra port fees and taxes collected for that port would end up covering a longer stay in another port.

This makes sense and seems reasonable.  But communication to the passenger (customer) regarding such matters, seems like good practice, IMO.  

15 hours ago, IronRobi said:

There sure are a LOT of NCL port calls at Puerto Plata on that schedule-- is NCL not making it to any of them?  We are on the Encore leaving 12/18 and due to be there on 12/21.... looks like Amber Cove is booked up that day if we don't make it...