Diamond Plus - No More Concierge/Suite Lounge Access

DaKahuna

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Of course it did we booked about 7-8 cruises with double points.

I honestly do not want Pinnacles to suffer .. and frankly I am not suffering at all.

Gap between D+ and P is huge. I don't expect huge number of P anyway.

As a former cruiser with multi lines ... RCI is not risking much. I do not remember similar benefits on most if not all of other lines. Especially comparable in quality/pricing.

Never say never. Celebrity has now removed Zenith from the retreat. No access to the lounge or Luminae and there are far less Zenith. Celebrity seems to be focusing heavily towards suite guests. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisingator2 said:

Never say never. Celebrity has now removed Zenith from the retreat. No access to the lounge or Luminae and there are far less Zenith. Celebrity seems to be focusing heavily towards suite guests. 

Celebrity Edge class gives suite passengers a huge edge over Rccl . Outdoor retreat with pool and bar are fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Regarding P and Suite capacity:

C&A Benefits Grid effective 12/16/22, footnote 11:

Should the number of Suite Guests and Pinnacle Club Members surpass our Suite/Concierge Lounge capacity we will continue to provide a temporary exclusive Pinnacle Club Lounge between the hours of 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Location varies by ship.

Not surprised. The arrangement has been used for yrs with Diamond and D+ where on almost all my Cruises that are longer 10+ niters and Repo's have the Crown Lounge and 2 other Lounges for 5-8pm. Though feel bad for the non upper Tier Cruises that loose access to these Lounges during these hours

• Like 1

I'm still baffled why there is such a large point jump between D+ and PC, with no formalized intermmediate level such as at 350.  Yes ... at 350 you start getting some extras, but if the issue is to slow down the number of new D+, then why not raise the D+ to 350 and keep the same benefits (such as CL access)?  At the same time, raising the points for D could also be done to slow down the numbers.  Simple push the implementation date out one year so anyone who is currently close to a new level can get it done (if desired).  Other cruise lines have done it this way when revamping loyalty programs.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I believe this changes that -- Read it again as it clearly states Pinnacles will have access. 

Sorry, but wrong.   Have been on Serenade for two weeks now with no access to CL as a Pinnacle, and other Pinnacles have told me it has been the same for weeks now.  Obviously that included D+. 

On Wonder TA, we purposely booked a GS to have access to Coastal Kitchen, which gave us access to SL.  Pinnacles not in a suite had no access to SL.   We don't bother with anything above a JS on ships without CK.  

Pretty much now...if you want access to CL and SL...book a full suite.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Pinnacles last week on Symphony were dragged off to the Jazz Bar on 4 

Banned from SL

110 P’s 

554 D+
441 D

You are 💯 it all depends and not known until boarding day.

SL

CL

PL

All packed to the rafters 😎

LOL 😄 😄   Yup, we have been having just an "awful" time enjoying the Pinnacle Event in the VCL each night here on Serenade.  Much quieter than the crowded and noisy DL, and the CL is a tomb.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pcur said:

Agree.  I was told 2 days ago on the Liberty by the Suite Concierge that if the Pinnacle count is under 50, then P's have access to the SL.  The Liberty this past weekend had 1 cabin left, and 21 P's.

Threshold on Serenade is 30.    We were at 66 a week ago, 54 this week.   Under 30 next week, thus was told Pinnies back into the CL for that week.  

We just never know, but really don't use the lounges for happy hour drinks anyway.  Prefer the other bars/lounges, especially the VCL...which just happened to be where the Pinnie Event is on this ship.. ...worked well for us!!  😉 

• Like 3

Can't say I'm surprised, but at least they implemented the most reasonable solution by adding the drinks to any bar.  

We've heard about the limits in the past to access the lounges- and given the size of the lounges, it really makes sense.

And with the massive numbers of cabins that are sailing every single week, the numbers are just going to rise.

Our previous solution to avoid lots of high level C&A cruisers was to sail on expensive cruises, which commonly happened over holidays- we were once top cruisers as D+ on a NYE cruise.  Now that we are retired we look for cheap B2B's to sail on, which means we will be top cruiser in 30 more years of sailing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trburks said:

I'm still baffled why there is such a large point jump between D+ and PC, with no formalized intermmediate level such as at 350.  Yes ... at 350 you start getting some extras, but if the issue is to slow down the number of new D+, then why not raise the D+ to 350 and keep the same benefits (such as CL access)?  At the same time, raising the points for D could also be done to slow down the numbers.  Simple push the implementation date out one year so anyone who is currently close to a new level can get it done (if desired).  Other cruise lines have done it this way when revamping loyalty programs.

I talked to a Loyalty Ambassador in 2019 who said the same thing.  He had been telling C&A that their should be a level in between. He was going to bring it up at their annual LA meeting in March 2020..................which, I am sure never happened.

I have always had the opinion ever since we reached Diamond, and our 2 sons were grandfathered into that level, that the perks/program could be "poofed" at any time.  So, I enjoy it and actually expect things to change.  Many D and above feel like their being treated unfairly, like a bait-and-switch situation, and are entitled to it all.  We pay for cruises, the program is gratis.  Just as we can take our cruise business elsewhere, they can change their free program.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

I talked to a Loyalty Ambassador in 2019 who said the same thing.  He had been telling C&A that their should be a level in between. He was going to bring it up at their annual LA meeting in March 2020..................which, I am sure never happened.

I have always had the opinion ever since we reached Diamond, and our 2 sons were grandfathered into that level, that the perks/program could be "poofed" at any time.  So, I enjoy it and actually expect things to change.  Many D and above feel like their being treated unfairly, like a bait-and-switch situation, and are entitled to it all.  We pay for cruises, the program is gratis.  Just as we can take our cruise business elsewhere, they can change their free program.

Perfectly stated.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometime in Early 2023:

PRESENTER:  And the award for "Least Surprising Announcement by a Cruise Line, 2022" goes to....No more Diamond Plus members in Concierge Lounge, Royal Caribbean International!  

ANNOUNCER: Accepting this award on behalf of Royal Caribbean is Micheal Bayley

MB:  I'd just like to thank all of the people who made this day possible.  I remember when we set this whole process in play when we first kicked Diamond members out of the Concierge lounge years ago.  Then we had the genius idea to get rid of the Concierge Lounge concept and rebrand the concept as the Suite Lounge, and never let D+ in in the first place.  Anyone who cruises with us enough to reach those statuses has seen this coming for years.  COVID delayed our plan for this announcement, but the overwhelming return of our loyal customers to cruising, along with giving loyalty points away like candy during COVID brought us to that day in December where we made what I think was the least surprising announcement in the history of the Cruise Industry.  I hope to be up here in the coming years when we make further announcements about the rebrand of the Diamond Lounge to "People Who Like to Congratulate Themselves for How Much They Cruise Lounge" which will be reserved for our Pinnacle and Diamond Plus members and....

ORCHESTRA PLAYS HIM OFF

Commercial Break

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, pcur said:

Well, I think they should name the 340 (or 350) point level.  They are already giving added benefits at that level.  I don’t think they should change the threshold for D+ from 175 to 350 as trburks suggested.  Doing so would either (a) send a lot current D+’s back to D (creating resentment) or (b) grandfather those current D+, so soon a bunch of D’s would have more points than many of the grandfathered D+’s they meet (creating resentment).

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'm don't drink coffee, but regardless the coffee machine should be operational. I blame the DLC for not ensuring his/her DL isn't up and running 100% at all times. On our March Explorer cruise the automatic door closure wasn't working one evening on the first leg of the cruise and the DLC had maintenance on it immediately.   

I empathize when the perk is something that folks plan for.  My understanding of the coffee machine problem is it is often related to parts.  They are expensive machines made for knowledgeable operators, passengers often are not and so they often break down from hard use.  Concierges have complained to me that they cannot get the parts in a timely  manner, even though the ship may carry some spare often they must order parts and wait to repair due to the unpredictability of what might be wrong.   And that was before the current COVID related supply problems.  

2 hours ago, pcur said:

Diamond members forget that the only items available in the D lounge was peanuts and sometimes pretzels.  Only sodas and wine were served.  Beer was extra.

Many years ago, similar issues popped up and remember someone posted that to bridge the gap between D+ and Ps was to introduce a new level titled "Black Diamond".  I thought the title was very impressive.

I'm not sure why folks getting so upset about this as in most of my sails (some 270 nights ago from the D tier) the CL was almost never available on all kinds of ships.  Was lucky only twice and it was on the Anthem.

Ps.  It can't be that bad in the DL as kids are still allowed in.

Edited by nelblu

I'll miss the nice CLs on the Radiance Class, but it wasn't at all surprising. I was expecting them to do this year's ago by just relabeling the remaining CLs as SLs and calling it a day. That might've caused more or less complaints, not really sure.

Either way, since they don't do the nightly happy hours anymore this isn't really a big deal for me. Other than the occasional coffee machine visit there aren't many reasons for me to go into a DL/CL anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccotting said:

I empathize when the perk is something that folks plan for.  My understanding of the coffee machine problem is it is often related to parts.  They are expensive machines made for knowledgeable operators, passengers often are not and so they often break down from hard use.  Concierges have complained to me that they cannot get the parts in a timely  manner, even though the ship may carry some spare often they must order parts and wait to repair due to the unpredictability of what might be wrong.   And that was before the current COVID related supply problems.  

Agree even as a non coffee drinker. Man those machines must be more complicated that I thought. Probably a good thing I'm not a coffee drinker. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarthGrady said:

I'll miss the nice CLs on the Radiance Class, but it wasn't at all surprising. I was expecting them to do this year's ago by just relabeling the remaining CLs as SLs and calling it a day. That might've caused more or less complaints, not really sure.

Either way, since they don't do the nightly happy hours anymore this isn't really a big deal for me. Other than the occasional coffee machine visit there aren't many reasons for me to go into a DL/CL anymore. 

The evening CAS HH in the DL is from 5 to 8PM. Still the same small buffet with plenty of selections. The only difference now is no more unlimited drinks Your CAS drinks loaded on your Seapass card are used. We still enjoy going to the DL. 

23 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Diamond members forget that the only items available in the D lounge was peanuts and sometimes pretzels.  Only sodas and wine were served.  Beer was extra.

I remember...fond memories.

34 minutes ago, nelblu said:

It was a “Diamond Event” that served wine, soda, and peanuts….they were only held on the ships without Diamond Lounges after D’s lost access to CL.  As DL’s (with all the DL features) were added to the ships, Diamond Events gradually disappeared.

12 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

It was a “Diamond Event” that served wine, soda, and peanuts….they were only held on the ships without Diamond Lounges after D’s lost access to CL.  As DL’s (with all the DL features) were added to the ships, Diamond Events gradually disappeared.

Loved the location on the Brilliance class.  Beautiful view and overflow was to the VCL.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, George C said:

The concierge lounge on brilliance is really nice has real bar outside area , great view . We book suites any way .  

I loved this lounge too - met a lovely Australian mum and daughter at the bar on our med May cruise - just chatting to them and the barmen each night was lovely.  Walked into the independence lounge expecting the same 🙈

I think if I had the freebie vouchers I might not go into the lounges at all ? the other bars on the ship are more fun ? IMHO anyway! But I can totally understand why folks who have had something before are cross.  It's how I feel every time British Airways devalues my Avios 🤪