RCCL Confusion and lack of responsiveness

extiger1

Recently I received an RCCL email stating "Your Future Cruise Credit’s 25% bonus is expiring soon! You have until December 31st, 2022 to take advantage of the bonus 25% value on your Future Cruise Credit that we provided through Global Suspension."  I called RCCL and after some discussion was informed that this was a mass mailing to all RCCL customers whether they had the FCC bonus on not.  Further that I was not entitled to this benefit and there was nothing else to do.

I found this response to lack credibility, as clealing the RCCL database used to generate the email contained data that I was entitled to this benefit and had not used it.  I find it hard to believe that the RCCL business side or the IT side would send a mass mailing when it can be simply targeted to the individuals that meet specific criteria.

It appears to me that another RCCL database is used by the CSRs and it contains different information for me.  RCCL seems to have a lack of interest to investigate this.

I am curious if any others are having this problem.  Or if, it was resolved how was that accomplished?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!  We had so many cruises canceled (on several different lines) that I was having some difficulty keeping things straight.  I emailed, called and waited for hours, and searched for the answer to this to no avail.  I appreciate your letting me know that it was a mass email.  I don't see any FCC in my account.

Really poor thinking on their part.

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't you know whether you have an outstanding 25% FCC? I carefully tracked every cancellation and benefit from the cancellation (and there were a lot). 

Given the way Royal Caribbean works, I am not at all surprised that it could be confusing.

A few months ago, I received an email with a FCC for a cancelled cruise from a couple months earlier. When I went to use the FCC, it wasn't valid because it had been issued in error; I had actually been refunded for that cruise to my credit card.

Did they send a mea culpa email afterward to explain the mistake? Nope, they left me in the dark until I called in to ask what happened.

• Like 2

I’m sorry, you got a refund to your CC and didn’t notice?  I guess I am just way more anal retentive about my finances.  I check all my accounts several times a week (ok, I lied, I check them all daily).  They’re all available on my phone and I pull them up with my morning coffee.  
Having seen a refund to your CC, how would you not think the FCC was in error?

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 8:11 AM, poocher said:

I’m sorry, you got a refund to your CC and didn’t notice?  I guess I am just way more anal retentive about my finances.

And I'm sorry that our remaining child died earlier this year and that this is our burial-at-sea cruise. I'm sure you may be able to understand why I was willing to trust that RCI was telling the truth because I wasn't in a position to be paying more attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

My deepest sympathies.  No parent should have to bury a child.  My comment applied under normal circumstances which yours are not.  My prayers for you and your family.

Thank you. They are most welcomed. I must admit that I took great umbrage at your words, so thank you again.

It's for random situations like this that are not entirely uncommon where a bit of extra effort on RCI's effort could be so helpful. Unfortunately, they seem to go with what works for most folk and deal with all the exceptions as one-offs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daghis said:

And I'm sorry that our remaining child died earlier this year and that this is our burial-at-sea cruise. I'm sure you may be able to understand why I was willing to trust that RCI was telling the truth because I wasn't in a position to be paying more attention.

I am so sorry. Prayers of peace for your family.

• Like 1

Just now, PamelaHunt said:

I am so sorry. Prayers of peace for your family.

Thank you for the sentiment.

I ask that no more such statements be made as it is off-topic for this thread. I appreciate the love out there.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2022 at 5:11 AM, poocher said:

I’m sorry, you got a refund to your CC and didn’t notice?  I guess I am just way more anal retentive about my finances.  I check all my accounts several times a week (ok, I lied, I check them all daily).  They’re all available on my phone and I pull them up with my morning coffee.  
Having seen a refund to your CC, how would you not think the FCC was in error?

We had several cruises canceled and it was difficult to keep track of everything, but I had thought it was all settled.  I guess I didn't expect RCCL to send me a note about my "future cruise credit" when I didn't have any.  And then to NOT have it accessible, but to direct me to search my mail for some non-existent email that had the information.

Really poor decision, but I guess it got most of us to sign into our accounts.  Maybe it's a gimmick to show website traffic to their stockholders.

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I don't think it was mass mailed to ALL. We didn't get it.

Mass doesn't necessarily mean all.  I'm assuming you are D or above.  Don't know why you didn't get one.  Well, we are talking about RCCL IT, are we not.  Hope it catches up to you! 

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Mass doesn't necessarily mean all.  I'm assuming you are D or above.  Don't know why you didn't get one.  Well, we are talking about RCCL IT, are we not.  Hope it catches up to you! 

nope, we are Emerald as of this summer.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

nope, we are Emerald as of this summer.

Disregard, I asked the D part of the question thinking that I was in another thread.  D or above has nothing to do with this thread.  Sorry!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, extiger1 said:

Recently I received an RCCL email stating "Your Future Cruise Credit’s 25% bonus is expiring soon! You have until December 31st, 2022 to take advantage of the bonus 25% value on your Future Cruise Credit that we provided through Global Suspension."  I called RCCL and after some discussion was informed that this was a mass mailing to all RCCL customers whether they had the FCC bonus on not.  Further that I was not entitled to this benefit and there was nothing else to do.

I found this response to lack credibility, as clealing the RCCL database used to generate the email contained data that I was entitled to this benefit and had not used it.  I find it hard to believe that the RCCL business side or the IT side would send a mass mailing when it can be simply targeted to the individuals that meet specific criteria.

It appears to me that another RCCL database is used by the CSRs and it contains different information for me.  RCCL seems to have a lack of interest to investigate this.

I am curious if any others are having this problem.  Or if, it was resolved how was that accomplished?

Thanks

Yup, had a client get it also.  One phone call confirmed they had already used it, which I knew.  

On 12/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, extiger1 said:

Thanks

It sounds to me like a "friendly reminder" gone wrong simply because they forgot to filter out those records with a FCC zero balance.

I can think back and count several emails that I've received from companies I do business with that didn't make sense or didn't apply to my situation.  Sometimes there would be an apology email or simply an email asking me to disregard.  Sometimes not.

If you're records show you have a FCC, then thank them for the reminder and book soon.  

If not, you could call and complain how the mistaken email disrupted your life and damaged you, demanding some form of compensation, say perhaps a complimentary dinner for two in Windjammer on your next cruise.  Or you could just move on.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

It sounds to me like a "friendly reminder" gone wrong simply because they forgot to filter out those records with a FCC zero balance.

I can think back and count several emails that I've received from companies I do business with that didn't make sense or didn't apply to my situation.  Sometimes there would be an apology email or simply an email asking me to disregard.  Sometimes not.

If you're records show you have a FCC, then thank them for the reminder and book soon.  

If not, you could call and complain how the mistaken email disrupted your life and damaged you, demanding some form of compensation, say perhaps a complimentary dinner for two in Windjammer on your next cruise.  Or you could just move on.

I'll tell you one that does not make sense.  Received a 10% off a future cruise credit due to some cabin issues on Oasis.  Received an email for amounts that were odd and did not make sense.  Replied to the individual attached to the email for an explanation l.  A week later I get a canned response from their sister company "Silversea."  At this point, I noticed my booking number attached to the e-mail. I assumed that they were sharing resources. So, I Called Silversea and the Agent was totally perplexed as he found no record of sending the e-mail.  I explained to the Agent what I thought was the issue and he promised that he would re-route it to proper RCL unit.

Still waiting for an explanation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I'll tell you one that does not make sense.  Received a 10% off a future cruise credit due to some cabin issues on Oasis.  Received an email for amounts that were odd and did not make sense.  Replied to the individual attached to the email for an explanation l.  A week later I get a canned response from their sister company "Silversea."  At this point, I noticed my booking number attached to the e-mail. I assumed that they were sharing resources. So, I Called Silversea and the Agent was totally perplexed as he found no record of sending the e-mail.  I explained to the Agent what I thought was the issue and he promised that he would re-route it to proper RCL unit.

Still waiting for an explanation.

Major difference in what you describe is yours was a direct and specific "guest recovery" issue whereas what the OP describes is a generic mass mailing from a "donotreply" email address.