Is there any dress code at all in the dining room?

ontheweb

OP back. First, thanks to everyone who has answered. I just thought to myself how funny this is that I don't even want to wear a collared shirt. We have a picture in our dining room from formal night from our first cruise, and I am wearing a jacket and a tie (and I NEVER wear a tie.). DW was so excited at the prospect of a formal night that she went out and bought material and a pattern and made her own formal dress, in fact two of them.

14 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Always can wear long pants and a collared shirt getting on the ship. Not difficult.

Thankfully we're no longer in the 1960's, 70's, or 80's, which judging from a plethora of your comments is where you'd like the country to still be.

We're blessed to make our own decisions about how to dress, act, etc. now without caring about judgment from others who wish for the culture of another era. 

And, yet, we're also further blessed that you can wear your long pants and collared shirt to get on a ship, while my husband and I can wear our Adidas shorts, flippie floppies, and t-shirts to get onboard (and do nearly anything else on the ship - looking at you Le Bistro). 

Finally, it's not about difficulty. It's about paying several thousand dollars for a vacation and wanting to be comfortable while onboard. I wear the penguin suit enough in my every day life. Why on earth would I want to wear anything but comfy when I'm paying for vacation? 

Yay for 2022!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thankfully we're no longer in the 1960's, 70's, or 80's, which judging from a plethora of your comments is where you'd like the country to still be.

We're blessed to make our own decisions about how to dress, act, etc. now without caring about judgment from others who wish for the culture of another era. 

And, yet, we're also further blessed that you can wear your long pants and collared shirt to get on a ship, while my husband and I can wear our Adidas shorts, flippie floppies, and t-shirts to get onboard (and do nearly anything else on the ship - looking at you Le Bistro). 

Finally, it's not about difficulty. It's about paying several thousand dollars for a vacation and wanting to be comfortable while onboard. I wear the penguin suit enough in my every day life. Why on earth would I want to wear anything but comfy when I'm paying for vacation? 

Yay for 2022!

There are cruise lines out there that cater to the desire for a dress code from another decade. But NCL is marketing the freestyle pretty hard to allow and encourage passengers to relax and enjoy. 

• Like 3

The reason I started going on NCL was to not have to dress up. Fancy for me is a polo or button up shirt and blue jeans. My wife is over it too she will wear a dress but not a crazy fancy one. I remember her dad and friends all wearing there tuxedos back in the day on carnival for captains night. I also remember myself not wanting to wear a jacket and tie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

The reason I started going on NCL was to not have to dress up. Fancy for me is a polo or button up shirt and blue jeans. My wife is over it too she will wear a dress but not a crazy fancy one. I remember her dad and friends all wearing there tuxedos back in the day on carnival for captains night. I also remember myself not wanting to wear a jacket and tie.

In 2009 I went on a Carnival cruise with friends from college and my grandmother. Interesting mix, I know! On formal night, I remember having a not-so yummy dinner in the buffet as I refused to get dressed up to have dinner on a cruise. They raved about the steak and lobster. I was just fine having the buffet food. My grandma vowed never to cruise again (one and done) due to Carnival's food. I vowed...well, I didn't really vow anything. Alas, I never cruised Carnival again. It's only been NCL for me after researching all the lines. It's truly about the dress code (or lack thereof) for me.

This whole they don’t care what you wear to the mdr on embarkation day is very ymmv. I wore a tank top and shorts on Epic this summer out of Spain because it was balls hot and was denied entry for lunch and had to go to the buffet. Told to go change even though our luggage hadn’t yet arrived. 

3 hours ago, armwinder said:

We are noticing a trend amongst the ball cap wearers now, they turn their hat backwards to appear more formal. 

More formal and it makes it easier to pull off your mask and catch that foul ball pop up behind home plate….

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

More formal and it makes it easier to pull off your mask and catch that foul ball pop up behind home plate….

I was a softball umpire for many, many years. It was ok with me when the catcher took off and threw the mask except when it was thrown at me! 😒 I was, however, able to catch the thrown mask a few times. 😉

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yay for 2022!

I don't care what you wear or do not wear. Everyone has their own comfort level. You were the one complaining about the possibility of not being allowed in the MDR an embarkation day if your luggage had not arrived in time and I simply made a suggestion should you fear denial of service.. NCL says dress up, dress down but please do dress. So far the ultra casual has not extended to being naked.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, complawyer said:

lakesregion. sorry, but your are completely mistaken. you dont need a collared shirt, and jeans will do when you get on the ship. even if youre in a haven, a t-shirt and jeans will work with no problem.

I know that. You misread my suggestion. The poster was asking a question about being possibly denied service if not dressed in a certain way because their luggage had not yet arrived at their cabin. Just a suggestion not a desire.