under 21 drinking question

It depends from where your ship is sailing.  Here is your answer straight from Celebrity's FAQs on their website (link).

"The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises® ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises® ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation."

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Must just be a NCL thing.   

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?
Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of US sailings, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

1 minute ago, 39august said:

Tyler, you are correct. I am very surprised to see that 18 year old reference. 

When I was looking at the daily's I was surprised to see that.  I was on Apex Eastern Caribbean in March and there was a group of college aged "kids" that were all drinking (very well behaved)  No clue if they were 21+ but did not appear to be (I can't judge age on kids these days)

My sister had a similar situation on NCL with her son, but he was 17 on that sailing and they would not let him drink even though she would have allowed him too. ( I think that ruined the cruise for him, so sad 😂)

7 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The policy has always been 21+ on NA sailings. My guess is that the daily was never updated since Apex came over from Europe. 

Now I'm going to have to look at my daily's from March and see what it said then. 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The policy has always been 21+ on NA sailings. My guess is that the daily was never updated since Apex came over from Europe. 

For a while!..but i started cruising in 1993 and you could drink at 18.....Spring Breakers messed that up...

2 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

When I was looking at the daily's I was surprised to see that.  I was on Apex Eastern Caribbean in March and there was a group of college aged "kids" that were all drinking (very well behaved)  No clue if they were 21+ but did not appear to be (I can't judge age on kids these days)

My sister had a similar situation on NCL with her son, but he was 17 on that sailing and they would not let him drink even though she would have allowed him too. ( I think that ruined the cruise for him, so sad 😂)

Her son wasn’t old enough to drink alcohol and the cruise line wouldn’t allow him to, is that a big surprise? If he let that ruin his cruise, then the question pops up “Does he think he’s above the law and should be allowed to drink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Her son wasn’t old enough to drink alcohol and the cruise line wouldn’t allow him to, is that a big surprise? If he let that ruin his cruise, then the question pops up “Does he think he’s above the law and should be allowed to drink.

In most states minors are legally permitted to consume alcohol in the presence of their parents.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, D C said:

In most states minors are legally permitted to consume alcohol in the presence of their parents.   

I have never heard of this.  Can you name two? 
I assume you are talking about in the privacy of their home and not in a bar or restaurant. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I assume you are talking about in the privacy of their home and not in a bar or restaurant. 

Quick Google search: Georgia, Massachusetts, Nebraska. Plenty of others. Pretty much always allowed for religious observances. Otherwise ordinarily a parent, guardian, or maybe a grandparent in a private home. 

Not your kid’s fifty best friends. 

Edit: Virginia apparently allows you to provide it in your home if THEIR parent is with them. Taxed by VABC, of course!

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

11 states permit it in restaurants as long as a parent is present.  Connecticut, Montana, and Mississippi are 3 of them.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I don’t think there are a whole lot of them, only a handful. Two of them are Wisconsin and Louisiana. It can be at a restaurant. In Wisconsin the Server gives the drink to the parent and they give it to their kid. In Louisiana the server can serve it directly.

18 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

This was on a cruise ship and they set the requirement for being able to drink alcohol, what individual states do is irrelevant. 

You're right they do set the requirements, but let's be honest they are simply taking the lazy/easy way out and just defaulting to the highest age. What the drinking age is in country of departure should be irrelevant, the drinking age in the countries being visited would be more relevant.

If the drinking age in the US was relevant then just imagine the revenue bonanza CBP could generate administering breathalyzer tests on those under 21 returning from Canada or Mexico every weekend after a night of drinking. After all, those US kids would be breaking US law.

Edited by cdn_tbird

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

😂  Not sure why I’m even relying to this.  

Geezer……..

9 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

This was on a cruise ship and they set the requirement for being able to drink alcohol, what individual states do is irrelevant. 

You brought being 'above the law' into the discussion.  I merely pointed out that <21s are permitted to drink in most states.  It's a policy of the cruise line, not any sort of law that's limiting the drinking age onboard, so they could adopt a policy that permits those who can drink at home to drink while onboard.