Flying into Australia - Bringing Medication

2018cruisefun

I know we have to declare all medication. I just need to know if anyone who had a prescription bottle with their name on it was also asked for a doctors script? The official website says to have both, but I really don’t want to pay for a Dr’s appointment to get a slip of paper that no one will actually ask to see. Yes my Dr will not provide one without an appointment 🙄

1 hour ago, 2018cruisefun said:

I know we have to declare all medication. I just need to know if anyone who had a prescription bottle with their name on it was also asked for a doctors script? The official website says to have both, but I really don’t want to pay for a Dr’s appointment to get a slip of paper that no one will actually ask to see. Yes my Dr will not provide one without an appointment 🙄

We don't take individual scripts but our medical clinic will supply us with a list of our medications on the clinic letterhead. We always carry it with us.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

We don't take individual scripts but our medical clinic will supply us with a list of our medications on the clinic letterhead. We always carry it with us.

That’s what we did for our trip to Australia last month.

I’m addition. we declared the medications on arrival and got sent to a secondary immigration officer who asked why we were sent over. We indicated we had prescription medications and he sent us on our way.  

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 2018cruisefun said:

Whenever we are going to cross an international border, we check that government's website for information about bringing "drugs"/medicine in as visitors/tourists.  (There are usually completely different rules for those importing them for sale, etc.)

And then we do exactly as they say!

After all, they would be the ones with the power, should it come to that.  And if we are visiting "them", then we'll follow "their" rules, full stop.

We make sure that all Rx meds are in containers with pharmacy labels.  (We do get extra labels from our pharmacist so we can stick them on tiny ziploc bag type containers.  Those flatten out and take up *much* less space than the bottles that usually have so much extra air/space in them that is totally unused.

We also each have copies of the scripts, plus a letter from our physician (on letterhead) about any special meds, such as something that might be considered a controlled substance or any injectibles (and the needle/syringe combo).  We also keep a copy on our laptop and in the cloud.

In some cases, we contact the appropriate government agency if their list includes anything that might need special permission.  These days, it can be done by email, and thus can take less than 24 hours (other than time zone delays).

Any time we've approached the customs/etc., people upon arriving in a country to "declare" that we are traveling with medication, they've just smiled and waived us away.

In one country, we had to fill out a special form to present upon arrival, and... no one there knew what to do with it...

But we will still *always* do exactly as "their country" requires.  We are visitors, after all.

Also, one country had complex rules about quantities, also,

So I just emailed them with a complete list of the meds that DH and I each took and would be bringing with us (some are "just in case" meds that we keep on hand).  The agency then let us know what quantity limits there were for some, and which needed an extra form to be completed.  This entire process took slightly over 24 hours,  far in advance of our trip.

The rules can be unexpected.  One country absolutely prohibits a medication that is OTC (Over The Counter; no prescription needed) in the USA.  There was no way to get permission or any waiver, so we took a "next best" and hoped we wouldn't need it.

The last thing we'd want is to have some sniffer dog take note of us and then get turned away at the border.  Unlikely, but not impossible.  Why risk it?

We keep the same documentation for several years; we don't get it updated for each trip.  (This should be very useful for anyone who needs a special appointment or fee, etc.)

Better safe than sorry. 😉 

GC

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Whenever we are going to cross an international border, we check that government's website for information about bringing "drugs"/medicine in as visitors/tourists.  (There are usually completely different rules for those importing them for sale, etc.)

And then we do exactly as they say!

After all, they would be the ones with the power, should it come to that.  And if we are visiting "them", then we'll follow "their" rules, full stop.

We make sure that all Rx meds are in containers with pharmacy labels.  (We do get extra labels from our pharmacist so we can stick them on tiny ziploc bag type containers.  Those flatten out and take up *much* less space than the bottles that usually have so much extra air/space in them that is totally unused.

We also each have copies of the scripts, plus a letter from our physician (on letterhead) about any special meds, such as something that might be considered a controlled substance or any injectibles (and the needle/syringe combo).  We also keep a copy on our laptop and in the cloud.

In some cases, we contact the appropriate government agency if their list includes anything that might need special permission.  These days, it can be done by email, and thus can take less than 24 hours (other than time zone delays).

Any time we've approached the customs/etc., people upon arriving in a country to "declare" that we are traveling with medication, they've just smiled and waived us away.

In one country, we had to fill out a special form to present upon arrival, and... no one there knew what to do with it...

But we will still *always* do exactly as "their country" requires.  We are visitors, after all.

Also, one country had complex rules about quantities, also,

So I just emailed them with a complete list of the meds that DH and I each took and would be bringing with us (some are "just in case" meds that we keep on hand).  The agency then let us know what quantity limits there were for some, and which needed an extra form to be completed.  This entire process took slightly over 24 hours,  far in advance of our trip.

The rules can be unexpected.  One country absolutely prohibits a medication that is OTC (Over The Counter; no prescription needed) in the USA.  There was no way to get permission or any waiver, so we took a "next best" and hoped we wouldn't need it.

The last thing we'd want is to have some sniffer dog take note of us and then get turned away at the border.  Unlikely, but not impossible.  Why risk it?

We keep the same documentation for several years; we don't get it updated for each trip.  (This should be very useful for anyone who needs a special appointment or fee, etc.)

Better safe than sorry. 😉 

GC

Thanks so much for your reply, I was planning on declaring our medication was just questioning the need for a prescription when the pharmacy bottle already has the patients name, dosage info and Dr’s name. But you are right, better safe then sorry.

I just recently returned from overseas twice.  Once through a cruise port in Sydney and once through the Airport in Melbourne.  At the airport the guy in front of me was asked if he had medication and was sent to be checked - I had heaps of medications and was sent straight through.  I did not declare anything, i wasnt asked . I dont recall the form you fill out asking for it because I would have answered honestly !

Edited by Janet&Carl

I read the the statement differently because it has a second clause, “Subject to restriction,” that you did not mention.  Prescriptions are medicines that are subject to restriction.  Better to always check yes and it is easily explained if asked.  

• Like 1

Slightly off the main topic but we'll be arriving in Australia on a cruise (first port Hobart but disembarking in Sydney a few days later). I hadn't thought about this issue at all until now, so don't know where we will pass through customs/immigration. I would have assumed first port but we won't take prescription meds ashore until Sydney. Is the implementation of the rules any different for arrivals in this way?

Thanks

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 11:55 PM, 2018cruisefun said:

If your doctor has access online, I was able to drink my medication list from there ans it showed the date page was accessed.  Hope this helps.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:06 PM, Janet&Carl said:

This is a link to the form you fill out ... it only asks if you are bringing "prohibited" drugs in - I always answer no because my drugs are by prescription and are not prohibited by this definition. https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-leaving-australia/files/ipc-sample-english.pdf

I was just going to say - I am very sure there is no requirement to declare normal perscriptions - my partner has a tonne of them - and we flew thru recently. 

On 12/16/2022 at 7:06 PM, Janet&Carl said:

This is a link to the form you fill out ... it only asks if you are bringing "prohibited" drugs in - I always answer no because my drugs are by prescription and are not prohibited by this definition. https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-leaving-australia/files/ipc-sample-english.pdf

Everyone reads it like that including the officials at the airport - otherwise 80% of people would go through the "something to declare" lane - while in reality its a pretty low % that do that . 

Edited by lissie

On 12/17/2022 at 1:49 AM, tonyl1956 said:

Slightly off the main topic but we'll be arriving in Australia on a cruise (first port Hobart but disembarking in Sydney a few days later). I hadn't thought about this issue at all until now, so don't know where we will pass through customs/immigration. I would have assumed first port but we won't take prescription meds ashore until Sydney. Is the implementation of the rules any different for arrivals in this way?

Thanks

Tony

Australian border force will clear you on the ship the day before you get to Hobart - not sure if you need to fill the same form - I don't remember doing so but it was a few years ago.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lissie said:

I was just going to say - I am very sure there is no requirement to declare normal perscriptions - my partner has a tonne of them - and we flew thru recently. 

This may be the case in Australia, but it isn't true in all countries.

Some require declarations, actual advance permissions, or limits for some meds.  Those may be "controlled substances" or meds that many of us consider pretty innocuous.

Again, "better safe than sorry".

Sure, chances are that most people wouldn't "get caught", but... I wouldn't want to be one who did, if we hadn't properly disclosed everything.

There's no harm being proactive, and these days it's quite easy and fast.

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

This may be the case in Australia, but it isn't true in all countries.

Some require declarations, actual advance permissions, or limits for some meds.  Those may be "controlled substances" or meds that many of us consider pretty innocuous.

Again, "better safe than sorry".

Sure, chances are that most people wouldn't "get caught", but... I wouldn't want to be one who did, if we hadn't properly disclosed everything.

There's no harm being proactive, and these days it's quite easy and fast.

GC

Iwasn't making a general statement I was talking about entering Australia - that's the discussion here . 

Australians aren't going to deport you for bring in perscription meds. Try to smuggle food in - that's a whole different story 

• Like 2

Just FYI the person in front of me had prescription meds - he ticked yes on the form.  He was asked by the person checking the form if they were from a Dr. by prescription he said yes to that question. He was sent to be searched - in a long queue.  I ticked no on my form - wasnt asked anything and departed straight through the exit.  I am fully aware of the implications to answering questions wrong.  But I dont see my items as prohibited.  They are on prescription so we get the PBS benefit - not because they are "prohibited".  Most drugs (except narcotics) are on prescription but no prohibited.  If they can be bought over the counter at full price ( for example insulin, blood pressure meds etc...) they are not prohibited items albiet that they are prescribed by a Dr.

\

I hope this makes sense lol

Edited by Janet&Carl
  • Like 3

Never considered this. We've visited numerous countries and never been asked about medications. I have a ton of them. I take 8 different pills every morning and 2 at night in addition to Ibuprofen and prescription pain pills and muscle relaxers. (My body is a mess.) I've never worried about taking the meds. The majority of them I take in the daily/weekly holders with the dose for the day in each little box. I've never taken the prescription bottles or labels for any of those. The pain meds and muscle relaxers travel in the prescription bottles with the labels on them.

I have really never worried about traveling with the prescriptions and haven't even considered that there might be a declaration form. It's never been mentioned on the cruise website or by our TA.

Yes you need to declare regular prescription medicines.  There's a whole list of what can be brought in, what needs to be declared and what to leave home.  I understand why, it's just my blood pressure medicine or my cholesterol medicine but I don't want to start a long awaited trip with a mess at customs.  And hefty fines.  I have always put meds in a daily dispenser and brought pics of the labels.  This is what the country wants and I want to be a good tourist even though I don't agree completely.  Besides,  it's not like the bottles will take up that much extra room.  Check out this site and decide for yourselves.  https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories

From the Australian Border Force website:

You do not need a permit to bring in most prescription medicines even if they contain a controlled substance because such imports are generally covered by a traveller exemption scheme.

Prescription medication can be imported under a traveller exemption, provided that:

• you are arriving in Australia as a passenger on board a ship or aircraft
  • the medicine is carried in your accompanied baggage
  • you carry a letter or copy of your prescription (written in English) from your doctor to certify that the medicine has been prescribed to you to treat a medical condition
  • the quantity of the medicine does not exceed three months supply.

You should leave your medicine in its original packaging and declare it to the Australian Border Force when you arrive.

Examples

Prescription medicines such as morphine, oxycodone, methadone, methylphenidate, Adderall®, and benzodiazepines are all covered by the traveller exemption outlined above.

Exceptions

The following substance are not covered by the Traveller Exemption and require written permission from the Office of Drug Control when travelling to Australia:

• Abortifacients (e.g. mifepristone - RU486)
  • Yohimbe (Yohimbine)
  • Aminophenazone, amidopyrine, aminopyrine, dipyrone
  • Amygdalin/laetrile (also referred to as ‘Vitamin B17’)

The following items require permission from the Office of Drug Control when travelling to Australia:

• Injections that contain material of human or animal origin (e.g. Hizentra®, Clexane®).
    • An Australian doctor must organise access for you through the TGA Special Access Scheme.
    • You do not need permission to bring insulin with you for personal use
  • Athletes and sporting staff travelling with hormones and peptides

People seeking permission for these items should contact the SAS (SAS@health.gov.au) for further instructions.

If you run out of medication, you will need to either see a doctor to discuss your options for procuring a further supply locally. If your medication is not currently registered for use in Australia (e.g. Adderall®,), then contact the Drug Control Section (DCS@health.gov.au) for further instructions.

• Thanks 1

We are flying into Sydney.  Hubby and I only have 1 prescription med each (statins for cholesterol). We're taking them in the original containers with the MD and pharmacy identifiers.  Our health care provider has a robust app that can show our entire medical history including prescription history - would that be acceptable vs printing something out?

2 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

We are flying into Sydney.  Hubby and I only have 1 prescription med each (statins for cholesterol). We're taking them in the original containers with the MD and pharmacy identifiers.  Our health care provider has a robust app that can show our entire medical history including prescription history - would that be acceptable vs printing something out?

I suspect that a statin med each would not be any problem at all, given the Australian rules.

So if they are in their original containers, then I would think you'd never be asked for anything else. Having a copy of the Rx that you could show from an app, especially if it could be printed out on the very off chance that is requested, should be fine.

Again, that's "my opinion", and that's worth every cent it cost you just now! 😉 

But a single statin med isn't what authorities are worried about, and Australia isn't one of the countries with worrisome rules and regulations.

They don't even fret - or handle differently - narcotics, which is not always the case elsewhere (to put it mildly).

-->> But it's always good to be aware of the rules and thus to know, in your case, that you are *not* bringing in any prohibited substances... and you *could* provide the documentation if it were to be requested.

The few times at borders that I started to "show" our meds, where there were specific questions about "are you bringing in any drugs" or such, as soon as I started to reach into my bag to rummage around to start to "show"....?  They always smiled and then just waved us through.  And not even this happened in Australia. 

Enjoy your trip!

GC

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I suspect that a statin med each would not be any problem at all, given the Australian rules.

So if they are in their original containers, then I would think you'd never be asked for anything else. Having a copy of the Rx that you could show from an app, especially if it could be printed out on the very off chance that is requested, should be fine.

Again, that's "my opinion", and that's worth every cent it cost you just now! 😉 

But a single statin med isn't what authorities are worried about, and Australia isn't one of the countries with worrisome rules and regulations.

They don't even fret - or handle differently - narcotics, which is not always the case elsewhere (to put it mildly).

-->> But it's always good to be aware of the rules and thus to know, in your case, that you are *not* bringing in any prohibited substances... and you *could* provide the documentation if it were to be requested.

The few times at borders that I started to "show" our meds, where there were specific questions about "are you bringing in any drugs" or such, as soon as I started to reach into my bag to rummage around to start to "show"....?  They always smiled and then just waved us through.  And not even this happened in Australia. 

Enjoy your trip!

GC

Thanks for the feedback.  Did you check "yes" on the medication question on your entry form?

18 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Did you check "yes" on the medication question on your entry form?

I don't remember the specifics of each country's forms (although I certainly remember some countries where we had to email several different permission forms - and all were approved).

But we would *not* answer any questions other than "honestly" when crossing borders.

And this is why we double check any country's laws/regulations/etc., about meds/drugs well before arriving, so that IF there are any questions, we can ask in advance, and IF any specific permissions are needed, we get those all completed before arriving.

It can depend upon how the question is asked.  For example, do they use phrasing like "Any drugs or medicine?" vs. "Any prohibited drugs?", etc.

In the first wording, we'd definitely answer "yes", be we *do* have "drugs or medicine" with us.

In the second wording, we'd answer "no", because we are *not* bringing in anything "prohibited".

Thus far, Japan has, surprisingly (to us, anyway), been the most strict of the places we have gone.

But getting the formal permissions simply meant filling out some forms, and in one case, also uploading some of the documents.  With email, it only took about 24 hours, so no problem at all.

Note:  Their requirements were a bit unclear, so what I did was:  I emailed a separate list for each of us, including ALL of the meds we do take or might need (and thus would have with us "just in case", per physician recommendation).  It was not a particularly short list.  They replied with the quantities that would be allowed in each case, or which didn't have any restrictions, and which needed special permission, etc.

So we made sure that all of our meds fell within the quantity requirements, and we had official written permission for the one med that required it.

[Surprisingly, original formulation Sudafed is *not* allowed in Japan, full stop, with one exception:  If we had it reformulated at a compounding pharmacy, to be much, much lower strength, but we didn't need it that badly.  The newer formulation doesn't work well for either of us, unfortunately.  

I use this as an example of how different it can be for each country.]

I seriously doubt that most country's immigration officials are trying to cause grief for regular tourists who have migraine meds or EpiPens, or whatever else.  We want to be prepared on the off chance that we are selected arbitrarily for some checking.

Then we just relax and enjoy our trip, including crossing borders.

GC

• Like 2