JamieLogical's Live from the Emerald Princess 12/18-01/02

JamieLogical

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from JamieLogical! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

JamieLogical was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Several people have asked if I intent to live blog my first Princess cruise, the Emerald Princess' 15-day Panama Canal transit. I fully intend to, but having never sailed Princess before, I don't know how reliable the WiFi included with my Princess Plus package will be.

My husband and I will be traveling to LA on Saturday and staying at the Crown Plaza near the cruise port. I am hoping to be able to watch some of the Bills game on our flight, but I haven't been able to find any recent, reliable information on whether live NFL games are available in flight on American Airlines. Even if I can watch some of the game on the flight, we'll be landing in LA around 7:30 (10:30 Eastern), so I will miss the end of the game en route to the hotel, most likely. 😭

Pre-cruise prep is way behind. I still have a mile-long to do list before Saturday morning. To make it more challenging, we are supposed to get hit by the current winter storm this afternoon/evening, so last-minute errands will be death defying.

For some reason, I am feeling really overwhelmed by the length of this cruise. I did two 7-days B2B in October 2021, so this is only one more day, but somehow preparing for 16 days away seems impossible. I am glad Princess has self-service laundry onboard, because no way am I going to be able to pack 16 days-worth of clothes.

For the first time ever, my husband and I are going to fly with a checked bag for a cruise. While we usually only bring a carry-on roller bag and backpack each, this time there are some special circumstance (beyond the length of the cruise) that are contributing to packing more. First off, since this cruise is on Princess (which I at least perceive to be a fancier line) over Christmas and New Year's, we decided we want to do some fancy dress for the the first time ever. I am bringing two dresses (gowns?), some heels, and a clutch for my phone/medallion. My husband bought a fancy, paisley sports coat and button down shirt. In addition to the extra clothes and accessories for fancy dress, we are also cruising with our good friends @megaphone84 and her husband. We all love playing board/card games together, so we are bringing a bunch of those as well. With so many sea days to fill, we are hoping to have lots of time to play.

I will post a few more updates about pre-cruise preparations and our travel on Saturday, but I just wanted to get this thread started while I have access to a real computer instead of just my phone and Princess' WiFi.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Will you be posting the menus if you get a chance? 

I don't usually as part of my live blogs, but I can try to remember to take pictures of them as I go along. I tend to be *really* bad at remembering until I've already handed my menu back over after placing my order.

• Like 1

Re: wifi being reliable.  Generally yes it is quite good.  On my Crown Princess cruise in November I was able to stream the entire Sandman series on Netflix with little to no issues.  Posting your reviews should be just fine.  I would suggest you compose in Word or whatever app you normally use b/c I've had Cruise Critic forums eat entire posts, or refuse to post anything.  On my Emerald Panama Canal cruise I had issues getting Cruise Critic to load.  All the other sites I normally use were just fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I'm looking forward to your review.  Safe travels, and weathering the incoming storm.  

2 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I would suggest you compose in Word or whatever app you normally use b/c I've had Cruise Critic forums eat entire posts, or refuse to post anything. 

I second this!  I was doing a "Live From" back in October in Europe...I had to totally reconstruct a particularly long posting after it just went "poof"!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Re: wifi being reliable.  Generally yes it is quite good.  On my Crown Princess cruise in November I was able to stream the entire Sandman series on Netflix with little to no issues.  Posting your reviews should be just fine.  I would suggest you compose in Word or whatever app you normally use b/c I've had Cruise Critic forums eat entire posts, or refuse to post anything.  On my Emerald Panama Canal cruise I had issues getting Cruise Critic to load.  All the other sites I normally use were just fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I'm looking forward to your review.  Safe travels, and weathering the incoming storm.  

Same issue.

I post from my iPhone or iPad. So, composing to a program (like word) is not an option.  So, I have to endure the CC dumping entire posts for unknown reasons. Doesn't happen on my home computer (like me typing this right now).  Cruise Critic seems to have some sort of incompatibility with ship based internet service.

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't usually as part of my live blogs, but I can try to remember to take pictures of them as I go along. I tend to be *really* bad at remembering until I've already handed my menu back over after placing my order.

I empathize.  It's tough remembering requests for posting menus, or crew names, or drinks, or anything else while on board.  

I try to be mindful when doing a live post.  But, I'm also trying to have a good time instead of chasing down requests.  It's understandable that some people want to know about certain things on board.  So, not discounting their requests.  It's just that we're trying to enjoy ourselves vs going on scavenger hunts tracking down requests or remembering to take pics or post something someone wants to see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Same issue.

I post from my iPhone or iPad. So, composing to a program (like word) is not an option.  So, I have to endure the CC dumping entire posts for unknown reasons. Doesn't happen on my home computer (like me typing this right now).  Cruise Critic seems to have some sort of incompatibility with ship based internet service.

Re: not having Word or similar.

I'd suggest using the Note app on either iPhone or iPad.  Type up your post, then copy/paste it into the Cruise Critic thread of choice. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Re: not having Word or similar.

I'd suggest using the Note app on either iPhone or iPad.  Type up your post, then copy/paste it into the Cruise Critic thread of choice. 

Thanks!  Appreciative of the advice.

But, I try not to work that had while cruising.

I take some pics, post them on CC…give my impressions…try to do it in real time.  That’s the extent of it.  That’s time consuming enough. 😉

• Like 3

I made some progress on pre-cruise preparations last night. Made it to the grocery store, despite the winter storm, which really didn't turn out to be that bad for us. I also got laundry and ironing done. I have to drop off presents at my sister's house tonight for my niece and nephews, since I won't be seeing them for Christmas. Then I mostly just have to do my packing, cleaning, and getting things in order for our pets. Also have the arduous task of painting my toenails, which is a whole ordeal that I am NOT looking forward to.

Flight out of Rochester leaves at 11:49am eastern tomorrow. We spend nearly three hours in Charlotte and then the 5.5 hour flight to LA. Scheduled to land at LAX at 7:10pm pacific. Will try to keep you posted about our progress.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I made some progress on pre-cruise preparations last night. Made it to the grocery store, despite the winter storm, which really didn't turn out to be that bad for us. I also got laundry and ironing done. I have to drop off presents at my sister's house tonight for my niece and nephews, since I won't be seeing them for Christmas. Then I mostly just have to do my packing, cleaning, and getting things in order for our pets. Also have the arduous task of painting my toenails, which is a whole ordeal that I am NOT looking forward to.

Flight out of Rochester leaves at 11:49am eastern tomorrow. We spend nearly three hours in Charlotte and then the 5.5 hour flight to LA. Scheduled to land at LAX at 7:10pm pacific. Will try to keep you posted about our progress.

Excited for you and your husband.  You’re going to have a great time.  

At our hotel in Los Angeles now. We got in close to on time last night. Had to walk about 12 miles to the baggage claim then had a whole bunch of confusion about how to actually get an Uber or Lyft. Apparently you have to take a shuttle bus from the pickup area to a whole separate area where ride shares are allowed in. That was NOT fun. After the initial confusion and searching around, the shuttle bus itself was completely packed.

After we got to the hotel we got some room service and got to bed. We were so exhausted. It may have only been 10:00pm Pacific, but for us it was 1:00am after and extremely long and stressful day.

While we were in the Lyft to the airport after leaving our house yesterday morning, I realized I had the wrong shoes on! When traveling for a cruise, I usually bring three pairs of shoes. Sandals get packed in my backpack. Boat shoes ger packed as the core of my bundle in my carry-on. And hiking shoes that I wear on my feet as I travel. Well on my way out the door, I just slid on my sneakers on autopilot without even thinking of it. And, of course since I wear my hiking shoes, they weren't on the packing list I triple-checked! No way suede sneakers are the right shoes for traipsing around in jungles and riverbeds, so I contemplating getting another Lyft to run back home, but the timing would have been really tight. Ultimately we decided I would try to find shoes in LA. I checked Google Maps as we ate our lunch in the airport and found a sporting goods store 0.7 miles from the hotel that we intend to walk to this morning.

For anyone who is curious whether I got to see my beloved Bills' game. I did get to see most of it, no thanks to American Airlines. The Live TV function on the flight just said something like "we're sorry this service is currently unavailable." I ended up paying $19 for a two hour wifi pass towards the end of the flight and then paying $4.99 for NFL+ to watch the first half of the game.

We landed shortly after halftime. I ended up missing the first 5 minutes of the third quarter. Then I got cell service as we landed and taxied and was able to watch/listen to the game as we deplaned, navigated the 18 miles of the airport to the baggage claim, waited for our bags, got our bags, tried to figure out the Lyft situation, rode the shuttle to the ride share area, and rode towards our hotel. The game ended with the Bills' winning field goal while we were in the Lyft.

Alright, need to get ready for breakfast and then head out to the sporting goods store. Will try to catch up with all of you later.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

At our hotel in Los Angeles now. We got in close to on time last night. Had to walk about 12 miles to the baggage claim then had a whole bunch of confusion about how to actually get an Uber or Lyft. Apparently you have to take a shuttle bus from the pickup area to a whole separate area where ride shares are allowed in. That was NOT fun. After the initial confusion and searching around, the shuttle bus itself was completely packed.

After we got to the hotel we got some room service and got to bed. We were so exhausted. It may have only been 10:00pm Pacific, but for us it was 1:00am after and extremely long and stressful day.

While we were in the Lyft to the airport after leaving our house yesterday morning, I realized I had the wrong shoes on! When traveling for a cruise, I usually bring three pairs of shoes. Sandals get packed in my backpack. Boat shoes ger packed as the core of my bundle in my carry-on. And hiking shoes that I wear on my feet as I travel. Well on my way out the door, I just slid on my sneakers on autopilot without even thinking of it. And, of course since I wear my hiking shoes, they weren't on the packing list I triple-checked! No way suede sneakers are the right shoes for traipsing around in jungles and riverbeds, so I contemplating getting another Lyft to run back home, but the timing would have been really tight. Ultimately we decided I would try to find shoes in LA. I checked Google Maps as we ate our lunch in the airport and found a sporting goods store 0.7 miles from the hotel that we intend to walk to this morning.

For anyone who is curious whether I got to see my beloved Bills' game. I did get to see most of it, no thanks to American Airlines. The Live TV function on the flight just said something like "we're sorry this service is currently unavailable." I ended up paying $19 for a two hour wifi pass towards the end of the flight and then paying $4.99 for NFL+ to watch the first half of the game.

We landed shortly after halftime. I ended up missing the first 5 minutes of the third quarter. Then I got cell service as we landed and taxied and was able to watch/listen to the game as we deplaned, navigated the 18 miles of the airport to the baggage claim, waited for our bags, got our bags, tried to figure out the Lyft situation, rode the shuttle to the ride share area, and rode towards our hotel. The game ended with the Bills' winning field goal while we were in the Lyft.

Alright, need to get ready for breakfast and then head out to the sporting goods store. Will try to catch up with all of you later.

That was a great game.  We’ll be seeing you soon…..

A3A56DA5-0F80-4E35-B275-A38E211A9AFC.jpeg

@JamieLogical:

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. We did the full transit in January 2018 and also stayed at the Crown Plaza. The length of the cruise appeared quite daunting as we also had only done 7 night cruises. We were on the Coral and went trough the old locks.

This past September we were on the Grand and I tried posting on CC but NONE of the posts except one would post (on my Kindle), nor when I used a computer in the Computer lab. It was very puzzling.

We had a fantastic commentator. author and it was his 212th time through the locks.

Enjoy!

Will be following along! We had a wonderful time on the Emerald last month.

The Uber/Lyft situation at LAX is a huge hassle. If we fly in the evening before, we now stay at an LAX area hotel with a shuttle to pick us up. Uber or a Lyft is easy (and cheaper) from the hotel down to the port in the morning. Drawback is no ship view in the morning though!