Do you use a travel agent, and if so how'd you find them?

OK, for starters I know we're not supposed to mention specific agents/agencies, but I hope this question is still acceptable.

Do you think you save money by using a travel agency or not? If you do use one, how did you find them - someone local? Referral by a friend/family? Online reviews? Did you just google for deals and find an online agency with good deals and then verify they're legit? 

Also, if you have one, do you use them for everything (airfare, hotels etc) or just for the cruise itself?

After hearing about TAs getting better deals than I could find myself, I'm starting to wonder if I should consider getting one. Thoughts?

7 hours ago, pookel said:

OK, for starters I know we're not supposed to mention specific agents/agencies, but I hope this question is still acceptable.

Do you think you save money by using a travel agency or not? If you do use one, how did you find them - someone local? Referral by a friend/family? Online reviews? Did you just google for deals and find an online agency with good deals and then verify they're legit? 

Also, if you have one, do you use them for everything (airfare, hotels etc) or just for the cruise itself?

After hearing about TAs getting better deals than I could find myself, I'm starting to wonder if I should consider getting one. Thoughts?

Perhaps something in the following oldie but goodie Cruise Critic articles will be helpful:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer

How to Save Money on Your Next Cruise

• Like 2

I did use a TA for several of my recent cruises--and all of those I have planned. We had an issue with drink package for my hubby not showing up on his account. Even though she was on vacation and on a cruise herself --she got it sorted before dinner on embarkation day.

I found her through the boards--on one of my Roll Call a great lady who was always extremely helpful with all kinds of information and spreadsheets about excursions, and cruise tips was always raving about her TA for many reasons. Knowing its a no-no on the boards--I sought her out at the spillway and got the TA's name and number. Used her ever since. She's best on cruises, but will assist with flights and hotels--honestly I prefer to look and book those myself. Both the lady on the boards and the TA have become friends IRL. 

One of the many, many reasons I love the CC boards!!

Sometimes she sees a deal, sometimes I do. Either way, no problem for her to check pricing for me at any time on something booked, and for a 9/2023 Med cruise we ended up saving $2100!! To me that was a win-win and basically covered nearly all our excursions!!

• Like 1

I just read a thread (on the Ask a Cruise Question board I think) where the OP's TA passed away. The TA was a sole proprietor of a franchise and it will probably take a bit of work to get things sorted out. I have also read recent threads where a TA went out of business and left clients in the lurch. These things do happen. I tend to book my own travel although I do check with some of the online TAs to see if they can offer a better deal before dropping the hammer on a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 8:22 AM, pookel said:

My TA gives an eight percent discount over the fares on the cruise line website.  

I would only recommend smaller agencies.  My TA is just her and two other women.

The larger travel agencies like you will find if  you do a google search don't discount.

Well, one does.  But it's a big box discount store and one has to join.

Word of mouth is the best way to find a good TA.  In our case a friend of ours who lives to cruise recommended the one we now use. It has worked out well for us.  You also have to decide for yourself what is more important for you.  Many people consider the best deal or the best rebate to be most important.  While this is  important to us we consider the level of service and how the TA handles it when bad stuff happens and it will to be as important as price.

DON 

• 2 weeks later...

Most of our cruises are simple - either just us or us and one other couple.  We drive to port and book a pre-cruise hotel on our own. No need to use a travel agent - I book myself through the cruise line's website. When the trip is more complicated (larger group of people; flying to port; multiple hotel days before/after the cruise) I use a travel agent. I used to use one who had a brick and mortar store nearby, but now I use a former classmate who went into the travel business a while back.  I deal with her online and by phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's just in the UK, but when I used a TA, they were able to significantly undercut booking direct with the cruise line if (and only if) I added another element that made it into a package.

For me, adding a 1 night stay in a hotel at the end of the cruise cut the price by nearly 20%.  It could have been any other hotel, air or rail component; if they bundled the cruise with something else, they had access to discounted rates.

I got a group rate that my TA's agency pre-bought and it was significantly less expensive than the rate price. Plus I got to pick my rooms from what they had available without an extra fee. Plus I was able to put my teens into a room right next door without an adult in the room. I know we could sleep wherever but it is just always easier for me if people are sleeping in rooms they are assigned to...

I'm on another board specific to my cruise line and the agency I use is often recommended over there - that is how I found my TA.

I used to never use a TA.  Then before covid I found a long cruise we wanted and did a google search for the cruise.  Then I contacted 10 of the travel agents/companies that popped up and asked for their best quote with perks included.  I chose the one with the best quote/perks that was also very easy to deal with and most responsive to questions.  I’ve used her for several cruises now and the 4 cruises that were cancelled during covid.  Very happy with her. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2022 at 6:22 AM, pookel said:

I always use a travel agent - they deal with all the detail stuff so I don't have to. Generally I tell her what I want and she books it for me. I'm really not concerned about paying a few more dollars for the service.

As to how I found her........

I booked my first trip with her in 1980!!! We're still working together after all these years. (yes, I'm old)

• 2 weeks later...

May be a bit late - but I discovered during a cruise when covid began (that involved ports that refused to let us dock)  - that many people with flight issues, etc were 'on their own'.  Either book your cruise directly with the cruiseline or with an agent - otherwise, if you use a booking site (ie expedia or similar) there will be no help from the cruise personnel in rearranging flights, ect - they will only help direct or agent booked passengers rather than those with 3rd party agencies.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I normally book directly with the Cruise line but wavered just recently and booked with a UK Travel Agent. Initially the cruise deal looked quite good as well the overall package , but then when i mentioned i had Future Cruise credits available to be used on the Celebrity Cruise portion , the problems started!

I was firstly told by TA to go  back through Celebrity to use credits , but they said NO , you must go through your TA as the cruise was booked with them initially.........as so the To & Fro starts!

Where do i go from here