Transferring between T5 and T3

bra98sda

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience and advice regarding transferring between terminals at LHR? We will be staying at the Sofitel and depart on British Airways flights from T5. Our travel companions are flying on American flights from T3 but would like to stay at the Sofitel. How easy is it to transfer between the two terminals and is there cost involved?

We did this a month ago and it was not pleasant.  It is a long hike in T5.  We landed with over 1.5 hours between flights and with waiting on a wheel chair and the over the top security check we were fortunate that they held the plane for us.  We got on and they closed the doors.  Security wants your cosmetics and small tubes to fit in one of their bags and then they have to put them through a special machine.  We spent almost a half hour just getting through the line and the bag check.  So, if you are transiting between terminals, don't dawdle.  You don't have as much time as you think.  

We stayed at that Sofitel a few years ago and it was fabulous! You will enjoy it. It is a lot of walking within T5 but definitely convenient for flying on BA. We took a taxi from T5 to T3 (to catch our Princess transfer) and it was easy, just ask the Sofitel desk to get a cab. Way easier than trying to figure out the train/tube connection between terminals. 

• Like 1

A few years ago a friend and I stayed at the Sofitel (a lovely hotel) before our flight home on American.   We used the Heathrow Express to get to Terminal 3.   It was free, and it was easy to find by following the signs.  There is some walking through Terminal 5, so if someone has mobility issues or a lot of luggage, a cab is a better option.  The trains run frequently and the transit between terminals doesn't take long.   There is room for luggage aboard. 

Following is information in the airport's website:  

If you are using Heathrow Express or Elizabeth Line, please obtain a free inter-terminal transfer ticket from one of the machines in the station for your journey.

I don't know anything about the Elizabeth line.  It is quite new.  

54 minutes ago, wallyworld583 said:

Security wants your cosmetics and small tubes to fit in one of their bags and then they have to put them through a special machine

Standard screening procedure. Every airport does it. 

• Like 2

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

I would ask this question on the British Isle Port of call boards where many locals often comment.  It’s also possible there may be some who work at LHR.  The moderators may transfer this thread there as well.  

Yep it’s correct that makeup, creams, toothpaste, all kinds of things, no matter the size, must be removed and placed in the baggies.  In our experience we witnessed that the prohibited  items which weren’t removed by travelers, were then tested(while you wait) and simply not thrown away.  It’s their security program, so if you traverse there, you have to abide by it.  Be prepared. 

4 hours ago, bra98sda said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience and advice regarding transferring between terminals at LHR? We will be staying at the Sofitel and depart on British Airways flights from T5. Our travel companions are flying on American flights from T3 but would like to stay at the Sofitel. How easy is it to transfer between the two terminals and is there cost involved?

Best way to figure this out is goggle a map of LHR terminals.  LHR is a very large airport.  I often look at airport terminal maps if I do not know the airport, very helpful.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Are you referring to every airport in England?  Because having flown from the US to Heathrow, we were surprised by the way that they handled the process.  Way beyond what we went through at CLT.  In the future I will avoid LHR whenever possible.  

59 minutes ago, wallyworld583 said:

Are you referring to every airport in England?  Because having flown from the US to Heathrow, we were surprised by the way that they handled the process.  Way beyond what we went through at CLT.  In the future I will avoid LHR whenever possible.  

Every UK airport, and every European airport enforce a strict liquids or paste policy - any such items must be placed in a clear plastic bag, and passed through the scanner separately to your hand luggage. Also, a 100ml maximum per item is also enforced.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:25 PM, wowzz said:

YeahBut.... for me, the problem with T5 at Heathrow is they do not have a sterile transfer area for those passengers connecting to another flight and you have to go through this convoluted a long security screening process when you ought to be able to move easily to the next flight - even if a passport check is involved.  Poor design, IMO.  It was a nightmare for us to connect to our flight at LHR in November.

Both flights were BA-operated, BTW.  

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

YeahBut.... for me, the problem with T5 at Heathrow is they do not have a sterile transfer area for those passengers connecting to another flight and you have to go through this convoluted a long security screening process when you ought to be able to move easily to the next flight - even if a passport check is involved.

Agree. Even when transferring to a flight in the same terminal you need to go through securtity again.

It has been several years, and the security line was over an hour long.

I don't think the passengers have to worry about transit at all. If they are wanting to stay at the Sofitel they will be arriving into the UK and will not be in transit from one flight to another. Have a look at the Heathrow website which has a journey planner. If you have lots of luggage or limited mobility just get a cab. T5 is vast and it's a decent walk to the tube station. Have a look at the journey planner on the Heathrow website. You can also email the Sofitel direct.

https://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/getting-to-central-london/journey-planner

image.png.af4916071d616064938cc0cbb57a8585.png

On 12/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, wowzz said:

Maybe in the UK but it's nowhere near that bad in the USA or in Rome from where we started. We had to go through this screening in November transferring from BA in T5 to AA in T3. It was awful. Yes, lipsticks, chapsticks and such all had to be out. That's not the case in the USA nor was it the case in Rome. And, to make things worse, all the passengers who were not aware of these more stringent requirements had to spend time "sanitizing" their bags. Those who missed the smallest item had their bags placed into another queue for a more detailed inspection. Then that queue would back up and the primary screener would stop screening ALL bags until the secondary queue had more room. It was an absolute nightmare. An hour and a half to do this is ridiculous.

Edited by beg3yrs

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

YeahBut.... for me, the problem with T5 at Heathrow is they do not have a sterile transfer area for those passengers connecting to another flight and you have to go through this convoluted a long security screening process when you ought to be able to move easily to the next flight - even if a passport check is involved.  Poor design, IMO.  It was a nightmare for us to connect to our flight at LHR in November.

Both flights were BA-operated, BTW.  

I'll share with you our personal experience with this and why it is that way at LHR...

When transferring from trans-Atlantic flight from US to connect to an intra-Europe flight, my feelings were the same as yours, why do we have to do this again?

Then as we were standing in this long security line a commotion started up at one of the screening stations and several officers showed up and the next thing, we see is them pulling out 5 huge knifes out of someone handbag (like the Rambo kind 9 inches long).

My wife and I were like WOW, how did they get that on their first flight???

Again, this was strictly a transfer security site, not an area someone could get to without first getting off another flight.

So, I learn that though security at airports might be a pain in the butt, there are reasons they do what they do. Mostly at LHR.

Cheers,

John

The simple answer to the original post is very easy and it is free. 
Helpful details of the rail link have been provided. Direct flight

transfers between Heathrow’s terminals can be a pain but a stay

at The Sofitel (lovely hotel) involves entering the UK. Entry and

departure procedures will take place on separate days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, montythecat said:

The simple answer to the original post is very easy and it is free. 
Helpful details of the rail link have been provided. Direct flight

transfers between Heathrow’s terminals can be a pain but a stay

at The Sofitel (lovely hotel) involves entering the UK. Entry and

departure procedures will take place on separate days.

Agree with the addition that I would rather shoot myself than endure the hellish transit between terminals at Heathrow. 

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I'll share with you our personal experience with this and why it is that way at LHR...

When transferring from trans-Atlantic flight from US to connect to an intra-Europe flight, my feelings were the same as yours, why do we have to do this again?

Then as we were standing in this long security line a commotion started up at one of the screening stations and several officers showed up and the next thing, we see is them pulling out 5 huge knifes out of someone handbag (like the Rambo kind 9 inches long).

My wife and I were like WOW, how did they get that on their first flight???

Again, this was strictly a transfer security site, not an area someone could get to without first getting off another flight.

So, I learn that though security at airports might be a pain in the butt, there are reasons they do what they do. Mostly at LHR.

Cheers,

John

Interesting, because my observation was that originating passengers and connecting passengers were mixed and passing through the same security area in T5.

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Yes, lipsticks, chapsticks and such all had to be out. That's not the case in the USA nor was it the case in Rome.

That has always been the case in the UK and the EU for  the  last twenty years or so, and Rome should have exercised the same restrictions.

Yes, the rules are a pain,  but they are well publicised, and not difficult to follow. Just because the US has certain rules,  you should not  expect the rest of the world to follow suit.

As Brits, we fly back and forwards to Europe a lot - we understand the rules and have no problems at security.

We flew back from Lanzarote two weks ago - thousands of passengers flying back to mainland Europe all with their lipsticks,  toothpaste etc in plastic bags ready for security. Quick and speedy process.

Follow the rules - no problem. 

On 12/16/2022 at 3:50 PM, milolii said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

I would ask this question on the British Isle Port of call boards where many locals often comment.  It’s also possible there may be some who work at LHR.  The moderators may transfer this thread there as well.  

Yep it’s correct that makeup, creams, toothpaste, all kinds of things, no matter the size, must be removed and placed in the baggies.  In our experience we witnessed that the prohibited  items which weren’t removed by travelers, were then tested(while you wait) and simply not thrown away.  It’s their security program, so if you traverse there, you have to abide by it.  Be prepared. 

Can you clarify if this applies only to carry on bags, or if it also applies to checked baggage? TYIA