Weird ? About Trash in Rooms

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s unbelievable the minutia that folks occupy themselves with. 

I've never bothered to sort the trash, I figured that service was part of the cruise fare. I have also not bothered to get in the kitchen and help out by cooking my meals on board 🥩. But I have to admit I have asked the bartenders to allow me to pour my own drinks. It would make their lives sooooo much easier. 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I've never bothered to sort the trash, I figured that service was part of the cruise fare. I have also not bothered to get in the kitchen and help out by cooking my meals on board 🥩. But I have to admit I have asked the bartenders to allow me to pour my own drinks. It would make their lives sooooo much easier. 😉

Thank you, very well put 

• Like 1

I separate my own:  recycle items (bottles, all paper, etc) goes in the main cabin trash can.  Everything else in the bathroom, and if it needs to be segregated, I bring my own small bags from home.  Gives me the "ewwwws" to think I'm making some one deal with my dental floss and interdental brushes.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:38 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Put that stuff in the trash can in the bathroom that has the plastic bag in it.  They take the plastic bag and all when they empty that trash.  We put cans and bottles in one trash can near the vanity table, so no sorting needed.

The following is my experience, not a debate or argument.

On our last two cruises, May this year on Ovation, both bathrooms and both living areas (Star Loft) and a few weeks ago on the Independence, there were no plastic bags lining the trash cans (before those last two, I can't remember that specifically). I've though that that was gross, especially for the Steward(s).  I don't think cabin Stewards or maids in a hotel should have to reach in and grab items that stick to the bottoms and sides of trash cans, with or without gloves.  Far too many items that can present a safety issue. I'm for a clean planet but not at the expense of this very minor issue.   

EDITED IN:  Forgot to mention, to combat that grossness in our trashcans, we'd wrap gross or unsafe items with napkins, toilet paper, or what ever we could get our hand on to make things a little safer and less gross. 

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Forgot to mention, to combat that grossness in our trashcans, we'd wrap gross or unsafe items with napkins, toilet paper, or what ever we could get our hand on to make things a little safer and less gross.

I thought everyone did that. But we don't sort our trash. We'll leave that to the experts. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

On our last two cruises, May this year on Ovation, both bathrooms and both living areas (Star Loft) and a few weeks ago on the Independence, there were no plastic bags lining the trash cans (before those last two, I can't remember that specifically). I've though that that was gross, especially for the Steward(s).  I don't think cabin Stewards or maids in a hotel should have to reach in and grab items that stick to the bottoms and sides of trash cans, with or without gloves.  Far too many items that can present a safety issue. I'm for a clean planet but not at the expense of this very minor issue.   

EDITED IN:  Forgot to mention, to combat that grossness in our trashcans, we'd wrap gross or unsafe items with napkins, toilet paper, or what ever we could get our hand on to make things a little safer and less gross. 

The swing top trash cans in the bathrooms have always had plastic bags in them on our cruises as others have noted also.  The plastic bag makes it difficult to get trash into those small trash cans but they have always been present.  The fake brass looking metal trash cans in the rest of the cabin have never had a plastic bag in them on our cruises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The swing top trash cans in the bathrooms have always had plastic bags in them on our cruises as others have noted also.  The plastic bag makes it difficult to get trash into those small trash cans but they have always been present.  The fake brass looking metal trash cans in the rest of the cabin have never had a plastic bag in them on our cruises.

I don't recall "swing top" trash cans in our last two cruises.  Not to say they weren't there, I just didn't see them.  The trash cans I did see were chrome looking round, in the living areas about 12 inches tall and rectangular chrome looking cans in the bathrooms.  The only thing I saw that was considered a trash bag was for feminine sanitary use.  My memory about the chrome round vs rectangular and their exact locations may be flawed.  But, I do remember, for sure, that the cans in the living areas were round.

Bottom line:  Trash cans of any size, shape and location without liners is just down right gross and unsafe, as far as I'm concerned.  

That's not to say you do or don't feel the same way.  

On 12/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, heatherandnick said:

I understand and sympathize that room stewards have to sift through our room trash to sort it for recycling, etc.  We try to be courteous by using sanitation bags for baby wipes, dental floss, etc.  Last cruise we had to keep asking for more sanitary bags, which was a little weird.  Any tips on how to make trash more bearable for these poor folks to sort through?

Just ask the attendant for a roll of the little trash bags.  No problem and problem resolved.  We always do so since kids and they are happy to have diaper stuff put in a sealed bag with no odor.  Win win.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ret MP said:

They have always been without liners.   Never thought or cared until I cruised with little kids who touch everything.   Our last cruise the attendant put liners and on all of them by day 2 without us even asking.  We did ask him for a roll of bags so we could put the diapers in them and seal it each time.  Outstanding attendants.  Not sure if being on deck 17 made that difference, but they seem to be less short staffed than when we had the aqua suite and our attendant had a ton of cabins to handle all by himself.   

• Like 1