Jeans now allowed in all dining venues

florisdekort

16 hours ago, markham said:

On a recent Silver Dawn cruise I saw lots of 60s plus Americans embarking the ship wearing grandma jeans, often washed out and droopy Wranglers. Some were so old and poorly fitting they were unrecognizable. Their appearance reminded me that these jeans are probably comfortable to them, and that they are more suited to a run to Walmart. Maybe they are their favourites from the neighbourhood. On disembarkation day they were in play again, and their wives sometimes had on track bottoms. The look could have been "in transit casual" for Costa just as easily.

Fortunately for me, and in deference to the line's dress standards, the jeans were not seen in the indoor dining venues again except for the final breakfast. They were used though at the outdoor poolside Patio Grill dinners "under the plastic" in cooler and inclement weather. Good for them there.

Of course Silversea has a different vibe than does Seabourn- more 5* hotel with butler service and top marks for all food and beverage venues and lots (!) of staff taking care of all business smoothly and competently. Where it trails Seabourn is the spontaneity and warm friendliness of its staff. It's really a floating, fancy hotel and not so much a ship. You will seldom see an officer on deck mixing with passengers. Ditto on hosted tables (unless you are in a top suite and that is a Silversea privilege- although there is no bar to passengers inviting officers themselves) that Seabourn arranges so well to bring officers/staff together with interested passengers. Both lines' staff dress for the important work they do in order to maintain corporate standards.

Seabourn passengers, in particular, seem oblivious to the irony that the staff often dresses in more stylich clothes than they do. That's why it is something of a surprise the first time you see the Colonnade staff at those TK-style dinners wearing the thematic jeans for the rib dinners. Blue jeans on these younger people always looks better, IMO, than on older gentlemen. 

My next beef is about those passengers at dinner in the fine Continental Atlantide Restaurant hollering across tables "hey where are you from?". Now there is a habit that I wish these people would leave at their own homes. On occasion we were obliged to move to another table or section to enjoy our meals in relative peace. I wonder if there is any correlation among some of these "trends".

Happy and healthy sailing!

I usually agree with your opinions, Markham, but I want to know the identifier of the "60 plus Americans embarking". Was it the red hats? I want to avoid being lumped into the grandma jeans group!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, markham said:

On a recent Silver Dawn cruise I saw lots of 60s plus Americans embarking the ship wearing grandma jeans, often washed out and droopy Wranglers. Some were so old and poorly fitting they were unrecognizable. Their appearance reminded me that these jeans are probably comfortable to them, and that they are more suited to a run to Walmart. Maybe they are their favourites from the neighbourhood. On disembarkation day they were in play again, and their wives sometimes had on track bottoms. The look could have been "in transit casual" for Costa just as easily.

Fortunately for me, and in deference to the line's dress standards, the jeans were not seen in the indoor dining venues again except for the final breakfast. They were used though at the outdoor poolside Patio Grill dinners "under the plastic" in cooler and inclement weather. Good for them there.

Of course Silversea has a different vibe than does Seabourn- more 5* hotel with butler service and top marks for all food and beverage venues and lots (!) of staff taking care of all business smoothly and competently. Where it trails Seabourn is the spontaneity and warm friendliness of its staff. It's really a floating, fancy hotel and not so much a ship. You will seldom see an officer on deck mixing with passengers. Ditto on hosted tables (unless you are in a top suite and that is a Silversea privilege- although there is no bar to passengers inviting officers themselves) that Seabourn arranges so well to bring officers/staff together with interested passengers. Both lines' staff dress for the important work they do in order to maintain corporate standards.

Seabourn passengers, in particular, seem oblivious to the irony that the staff often dresses in more stylich clothes than they do. That's why it is something of a surprise the first time you see the Colonnade staff at those TK-style dinners wearing the thematic jeans for the rib dinners. Blue jeans on these younger people always looks better, IMO, than on older gentlemen. 

My next beef is about those passengers at dinner in the fine Continental Atlantide Restaurant hollering across tables "hey where are you from?". Now there is a habit that I wish these people would leave at their own homes. On occasion we were obliged to move to another table or section to enjoy our meals in relative peace. I wonder if there is any correlation among some of these "trends".

I usually agree with your opinions as well--but have a few comments to make about jeans on a cruise.  I will be the first to admit that they are very casual dressing.  But--they are what many people are accustomed to wearing in their everyday life when it comes to casual dressing.  Jeans go with almost any shirt (for a man) and almost any top (for a woman).  In other words, they are versatile.  

I totally agree with you about shapeless worn out faded baggy jeans on men!  I fuss at Mr. SLSD about his jeans and I don't think any of them are acceptable except for our farm and the local hamburger joint.  It remains to be seen if we can ever see eye to eye about what an acceptable pair of jeans might look like on a 71 year old man.  I doubt that any would pass muster with you and I don't believe I have ever seen you in a pair of jeans.  As I recall, your cruise uniform has been what we Americans call khaki pants (not green, some may call them chinos) with an oxford shirt during the day.  Mr. SLSD has that uniform as well and we both see it acceptable (and very conservative) cruise wear.  I've read your comments about jeans to Mr. SLSD and he has laughed.  He's the same guy who wears a jacket and bow tie to dinner every night on a SB ship.  

So--when do I wear jeans on a SB cruise?  Primarily, I wear them on excursions in places like the Kamchatka Peninsula, Alaska and the like---especially when there is going to be an outdoor activity.  I don't wear them in the evenings of course and don't even wear them to tea in the Observation Lounge. I do like the fact that I can mix them with various tops --so they have remained as the most casual item I wear on a cruise.  I don't bring faded jeans and certainly not jeans with holes in them.  

Edited by SLSD

15 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I don't do jeans buy I hear that they are popular worn underneath a boiler suit in the maintenance department on a ship.

That’s hilarious on two levels 😆. If you’re serious that’s one level and if it’s tongue in cheek I applaud the creativity. Thanks. 

Mr L is nothing if not hilarious, and he makes good company albeit in small doses.

As to SLSD’s query about when I might bother with jeans on a luxury Seabourn cruise, and bearing in mind that I have nothing to prove such as pretend I am in my teens or 20s (nor have I ever been in the jeans trade and thereby keen to promote them), here is where things stand for our Quest cruise:

I may well pack a pair of newish properly sized jeans to wear on zodiac excursions, both to keep warm in Antarctica and as an insect barrier in the Amazon. No, I have no horseback riding planned in Chile, compulsion to till the soil or muck out anywhere, nor do I hanker after boiler suits for the engine room. All of which would be good enough excuses for anyone to wear jeans, even onboard. And definitely not in the ship’s dining rooms or bars after 18:00, for goodness sake.

I hope that helps. We all have our own personal style to execute within the framework of the occasion. Isn’t a luxury cruise on a Seabourn ship such an occasion? 

• Like 2

I am chiming in on jeans.

I fit, by age, in the grandma demographic, although I have no kids or grandkids, am still quite active and well traveled, and I am taking classes at the local university.  I wear jeans most days.  I rarely go out to dinner in jeans, except to the most casual restaurants.  I will follow that habit on Seabourn, wearing jeans, or shorts since I will be in the Caribbean, during the day, and nicer slacks or a dress in the evening.  I see nothing wrong with jeans at any time before 6:00 pm, and this is also in keeping with Seabourn's prior guidelines, even  before the change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLOU said:

I am chiming in on jeans.

I fit, by age, in the grandma demographic, although I have no kids or grandkids, am still quite active and well traveled, and I am taking classes at the local university.  I wear jeans most days.  I rarely go out to dinner in jeans, except to the most casual restaurants.  I will follow that habit on Seabourn, wearing jeans, or shorts since I will be in the Caribbean, during the day, and nicer slacks or a dress in the evening.  I see nothing wrong with jeans at any time before 6:00 pm, and this is also in keeping with Seabourn's prior guidelines, even  before the change.

You Qualify to wear ripped jeans surely

I was almost all done packing for the Quest cruise departing in 6 days. Just a few items yet to go.

And then forces beyond me took over. Out went the jeans I had planned to use for zodiac landings in Antarctica and the Amazon. In went in a pair of moleskin trousers. Not for me to be a split personality keen Jethro Bodine with the chronological age of Jed.

Jeans, “elegant”, expensive or whatever, or “friends” like the Sojourn’s  naughty personal support poodle we all learned about last month, won’t be visiting my suite clothes closet. No thank you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markham said:

I was almost all done packing for the Quest cruise departing in 6 days. Just a few items yet to go.

And then forces beyond me took over. Out went the jeans I had planned to use for zodiac landings in Antarctica and the Amazon. In went in a pair of moleskin trousers. Not for me to be a split personality keen Jethro Bodine with the chronological age of Jed.

Jeans, “elegant”, expensive or whatever, or “friends” like the Sojourn’s  naughty personal support poodle we all learned about last month, won’t be visiting my suite clothes closet. No thank you.

Just for the record, I don't think I would be wearing jeans for Antarctic landings either.  I think there are better options.  Have a great trip.  

What is a moleskin trouser?

Image result for moleskin trousers

Moleskin is a thick 100% cotton fabric brushed for warmth and durability. It even offers reasonable protection from brambles etc. New Forest Moleskins are a traditional trouser cut so they look smart and are comfortable but not too baggy.
Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, markham said:

Out went the jeans I had planned to use for zodiac landings

I agree with SLSD that jeans are actually not the best for zodiac landings as they are heavy and take forever to dry, so a wise decision. Moleskins will be better though we plan to wear waterproof nylon pants over just like we did in Alaska.

Looking forward to seeing you in Miami.

• Like 1

There’s a saying in cold climates like Alaska or the Yukon. Think about it before you pack jeans (classically wool/cotton but check the label) or moleskin for the Antarctic. Do your own research but here’s an explanation from eDoctorAmerica. 

“Cotton kills”  
While this saying is somewhat of an exaggeration, cotton clothing ranks at the bottom of the list of appropriate fabrics for cold weather active wear.  With outdoor activity, perspiration is absorbed into cotton layers that are touching or near the skin. As the air pockets in the fabric fill up with water, it ceases to provide insulation. A damp layer of clothing against the skin pulls heat away from the body and can rapidly lower body temperature. Furthermore, wet, cotton clothing takes much longer to dry than comparably weighted synthetic fabrics.  Garments labeled as corduroy, denim, flannel, or duck are mostly, or entirely, made from cotton. Clothing made from synthetic fabrics or wool is more appropriate, particularly during physical activity in the cold.

The waterproof pants on top are an excellent move. 

Edited by Dusko
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, markham said:

Markham,

I had you down for a guy who wears Chaps.

I'm disappointed 😊

I'm not planning a trip to Antarctica, but think I would choose something from Patagonia or similar company that was specifically for cold/wet weather--and then the waterproof pants.  I would want something that breathes--but not cotton.  

6 hours ago, Dusko said:

There’s a saying in cold climates like Alaska or the Yukon. Think about it before you pack jeans (classically wool/cotton but check the label) or moleskin for the Antarctic. Do your own research but here’s an explanation from eDoctorAmerica. 

“Cotton kills”  
While this saying is somewhat of an exaggeration, cotton clothing ranks at the bottom of the list of appropriate fabrics for cold weather active wear.  With outdoor activity, perspiration is absorbed into cotton layers that are touching or near the skin. As the air pockets in the fabric fill up with water, it ceases to provide insulation. A damp layer of clothing against the skin pulls heat away from the body and can rapidly lower body temperature. Furthermore, wet, cotton clothing takes much longer to dry than comparably weighted synthetic fabrics.  Garments labeled as corduroy, denim, flannel, or duck are mostly, or entirely, made from cotton. Clothing made from synthetic fabrics or wool is more appropriate, particularly during physical activity in the cold.

The waterproof pants on top are an excellent move. 

Thanks for this extra information. I will wear synthetic good quality hiking pants and in the coldest region have thermals under that. I am hoping my thermals, hiking pants and waterproof layer combo will keep me warm enough.

• Like 1

You must realize that appearance is primarily dictated by personal habits and not by the specifics of a garment? If one is freshly showered with clipped nails and properly laundered clothes, that person will look and smell neat and clean. Obviously, the reverse is true. Someone can smell bad or be unkept just as easily in a tux as in a pair of designer jeans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

You must realize that appearance is primarily dictated by personal habits and not by the specifics of a garment? If one is freshly showered with clipped nails and properly laundered clothes, that person will look and smell neat and clean. Obviously, the reverse is true. Someone can smell bad or be unkept just as easily in a tux as in a pair of designer jeans.

You do realise your favourite cruise line Regent also specifies no jeans in the MDR after 6pm. I have read this because I have a cruise booked with them. So your point to have a go at Seabourn passengers, again, is why?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

You do realise your favourite cruise line Regent also specifies no jeans in the MDR after 6pm. I have read this because I have a cruise booked with them. So your point to have a go at Seabourn passengers, again, is why?

You've booked a cruise with Regent Julie 😳

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I am about the only person on this thread who is in support of SB’s new policy so I’m not clear why you think that’s negative toward SB.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

I am about the only person on this thread who is in support of SB’s new policy so I’m not clear why you think that’s negative toward SB.

I hadn’t thought about being for or against the new policy so you prompted me to decide.  I don’t wear blue jeans at all, not because I don’t like the look on others (in fact I have seen some very attractive bodies in jeans) but because I’ve never felt they looked good on me. I do wear lots of casual pants, from khakis to cords including some pants that have the pocket studs like classic jeans. From Spring to Fall I wear shorts almost exclusively. I’m retired and it’s a comfort thing. When I go on Seabourn I dig out a pair of dress pants and a couple of long sleeve shirts in case I want to eat in the MDR. We avoid formal evenings. I think I look and smell ok in more casual pants and have worn these in the MDR in the past without feeling self conscious. So……since the new rule doesn’t impose any new restrictions on me and the sight of someone in jeans doesn’t bother me……..put me down as in favour. Why not shorts and a short sleeve shirt?What I wouldn’t like is for pax to turn up in dirty, smelly clothes. It’s not the components of a look that make it good or bad.

How about we work on banning loud people who shout “Where are you from?” Those words should be banned from any dining room, as should starting any discussion involving religion or politics. 

6 minutes ago, Dusko said:

How about we work on banning loud people who shout “Where are you from?” Those words should be banned from any dining room, as should starting any discussion involving religion or politics. 

I'm all for banning loud people, wherever they are from...  

I don't have a real preference for dress code protocol and realize that SB cruisers come from all sorts of cultural backgrounds (even those from the same country).  Some like to dress up a bit (I am semi in that category) and others like to dress down.  I've only run across one person on a SB ship with really poor hygiene and have seen this same person on two separate itineraries (!). I also totally "get" that stylish smart casual can be a better look than dated unstylish more formal wear.  But--we have to be understanding and accepting of those who are doing what they can to abide by a published dress code.  Clothing just isn't important to some people and is very important to others.  I place myself somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.  So--I'm prepared to move on--planning to dress appropriately the next time we sail.  As a side note, we are not drawn to sailing again quite yet and hope we will be motivated to resume in 2023.  Happy New Year everyone!  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kjbacon said:

If one is freshly showered with clipped nails and properly laundered clothes, that person will look and smell neat and clean. Obviously, the reverse is true. Someone can smell bad or be unkept just as easily in a tux as in a pair of designer jeans.

I guess I have been fortunate that on my many sailings on Seabourn I haven't encountered smelly, unkempt tux wearing passengers. My question still stands regarding Regent and no jeans after 6pm. Since you sail on them mainly is this correct?

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

You've booked a cruise with Regent Julie 😳

My TA is a top Regent sales consultant and she finally wore me down when Regent had a big sale 😁. It is only for 11 days and on one of their new ships in a Penthouse so we are looking forward to seeing what the hype is about. 

I will look forward to reading an  report on your Regent cruise, Julie, by one who I feel sure is not impressed by bling and 'glamour'.  I do get the impression that the food is generally excellent on the Explorer and Splendor.