Norwegian Dawn

mark316

Sailed Dawn for this 2022 Thanksgiving. Kids galore, ship at full capacity.

This was our third and last sailing on Dawn. The crew were the best of any of our 40 + cruises. Cannot say enough about them.

We were disappointed in their specialty restaurants. Tried La Cucina twice. Walked out as the seafood was undercooked both times. They have changed the menu in their Asian restaurant, and we did not like the changes. Cagney's just OK. Could not book Teppanyaki or others as all were fully booked.

Pool is small and packed with people as we were almost at full capacity.

We were in a suite and the staterooms need updating. Our sheer curtains were stiff from age and dirt.
Worst experience was boarding. The ship just returned from a TA and various inspections delayed boarding. It was pouring rain and we waited 2+ hours to board. Rows and rows of maze-like roping kept you walking and walking going nowhere. It was beyond disorganized. By the time we boarded, lunch was almost over. Also ran into the Tampa fog issue. The Saturday prior to arrival, 2 ships waited in the Gulf to dock as the Coast Guard closed the port due to fog. We had a similar problem with fog on a previous sailing and did not board until 11 PM-boarding was meant for 11 AM that day.

I am sure many will enjoy the ship, but that was not our experience-unfortunately!

Need to consider when fog is more likely as it really impacts sailings.

you need to raise the bar and broaden your horizen's. we used to do the same as you, board from a us port to cruise the carribbean. however, one of the things i like most about ncl, and keeps me booking, is the wide variety of ports of call. my wife and i have been to many places that i thought would never get to see in my lifetime, or even thought about seeing, and im now  just 6 weeks shy of turning 75

between dec 2016and jan 2017, we took a cruise from hong kong to signapore. to this day, i still remember getting off the plane and thinking to myself "WOW! I cant believe im really in  china" 

i even  got to ride an elephant  in bangkok .

you sound like the inquisitive type, come on, give it a shot!!! what's not to like?

• Like 2

you need to raise the bar and broaden your horizen's. we used to do the same as you, board from a us port to cruise the carribbean. however, one of the things i like most about ncl, and keeps me booking, is the wide variety of ports of call. my wife and i have been to many places that i thought would never get to see in my lifetime, or even thought about seeing, and im now  just 6 weeks shy of turning 75

between dec 2016and jan 2017, we took a cruise from hong kong to signapore. to this day, i still remember getting off the plane and thinking to myself "WOW! I cant believe im really in  china" 

i even  got to ride an elephant  in bangkok .

you sound like the inquisitive type, come on, give it a shot!!! what's not to like?

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I doubt that is what he meant.  He is an experienced cruiser and most of us in that category know that topsiders and spinnaker lounge are two different things.  Jewel class ships have both, which I like.

But we were not talking about a jewel class ship, we were talking about the dawn, which you yourself said does not have an observation lounge. Or am I confused?

15 hours ago, Loucat said:

This was our third and last sailing on Dawn. The crew were the best of any of our 40 + cruises. Cannot say enough about them.

We were disappointed in their specialty restaurants. Tried La Cucina twice. Walked out as the seafood was undercooked both times. They have changed the menu in their Asian restaurant, and we did not like the changes. Cagney's just OK. Could not book Teppanyaki or others as all were fully booked.

We were in a suite and the staterooms need updating. Our sheer curtains were stiff from age and dirt.
Worst experience was boarding. The ship just returned from a TA and various inspections delayed boarding. It was pouring rain and we waited 2+ hours to board. Rows and rows of maze-like roping kept you walking and walking going nowhere. It was beyond disorganized. By the time we boarded, lunch was almost over. Also ran into the Tampa fog issue. The Saturday prior to arrival, 2 ships waited in the Gulf to dock as the Coast Guard closed the port due to fog. We had a similar problem with fog on a previous sailing and did not board until 11 PM-boarding was meant for 11 AM that day.

I am sure many will enjoy the ship, but that was not our experience-unfortunately!

We were on the cruise just after yours. We tend to stay away from cruising during holidays and school breaks. Since it was a longer cruise and after the holiday, we were only about 80% full. It was mostly adults too, very few children. We boarded the ship at Terminal 2 in Tampa. This is an old and small terminal and could use some serious updating. They didn't start taking passengers in the terminal until 10:30am. This could be typical or a result of the late arrival and departure (after 11pm) of two ships the previous day due to fog.

We were in one of the Family Suites on Deck 12. These suites were added to the ship about 10 years ago so they seem more modern. We loved the amount of space in the cabin and would book again if the price was right. We enjoyed having breakfast and lunch in Moderno, both the food and the service were fantastic.

We ate dinner twice each at Cagney's and Le Bistro and were very happy with our meals. We had one dinner at La Cucina. The appetizers and dessert were great but the entrees were disappointing. I had the Shrimp Ravioli with Lobster Sauce...the sauce was too heavy and salty. My husband had the Pasta Carbonara...it was bland and had tiny bits of bacon.

Overall, our experience on the Dawn was great. We had previously sailed on her in 2017 and 2018, and we would sail on her again. 

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

I'm guessing that this was directed towards me.  To answer your question: a) long plane flights, b) lack of access to US healthcare and c) lack of access to US security.  "b" and "c" aren't problems until they are.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

But we were not talking about a jewel class ship, we were talking about the dawn, which you yourself said does not have an observation lounge.

Yes, I know what we were talking about.  I made the statement to further illustrate that spinnaker lounge and topsiders and/or great outdoors are different things.  This was in response to your suggestion that my buddy was comingling the terms:

"I believe when complawyer said spinnaker he was referring to Topsiders, which is an outdoor bar and makes for great viewing."

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

8 hours ago, SplashOfWater said:

We were on the cruise just after yours. We tend to stay away from cruising during holidays and school breaks. Since it was a longer cruise and after the holiday, we were only about 80% full. It was mostly adults too, very few children. We boarded the ship at Terminal 2 in Tampa. This is an old and small terminal and could use some serious updating. They didn't start taking passengers in the terminal until 10:30am. This could be typical or a result of the late arrival and departure (after 11pm) of two ships the previous day due to fog.

We were in one of the Family Suites on Deck 12. These suites were added to the ship about 10 years ago so they seem more modern. We loved the amount of space in the cabin and would book again if the price was right. We enjoyed having breakfast and lunch in Moderno, both the food and the service were fantastic.

We ate dinner twice each at Cagney's and Le Bistro and were very happy with our meals. We had one dinner at La Cucina. The appetizers and dessert were great but the entrees were disappointing. I had the Shrimp Ravioli with Lobster Sauce...the sauce was too heavy and salty. My husband had the Pasta Carbonara...it was bland and had tiny bits of bacon.

Overall, our experience on the Dawn was great. We had previously sailed on her in 2017 and 2018, and we would sail on her again. 

Glad you had a good experience on Dawn! Wish ours was similar! Again, outstanding crew and good service. Some elements not to our liking, but that is all a personal opinion.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, Loucat said:

That fog over Tampa Bay can be. brutal. When I lived in Fl more then a few times I had to reroute taking my husband to the VA as the bridge was closed due to fog

On 12/19/2022 at 12:14 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, I know what we were talking about.  I made the statement to further illustrate that spinnaker lounge and topsiders and/or great outdoors are different things.  This was in response to your suggestion that my buddy was comingling the terms:

"I believe when complawyer said spinnaker he was referring to Topsiders, which is an outdoor bar and makes for great viewing."

Topsiders is a bar and grill {outdoor buffet} at the aft end of the pool area on deck 12 -There is no Spinnaker lounge on the DAWN - was renamed the Bliss Ultra Lounge deck 7 aft

There is no inside sheltered viewing lounge areas on the DAWN per se -

The pool deck is as indoor sheltered as it will be -

The Promenade deck 7 is somewhat sheltered from the elements -

And finally the Jogging Running track on deck 13

Other viewing areas are the forward and aft decks 13 and 14

The Great Outdoors nothing in the aft end - closest resemblance is Topsiders mid-ship. 

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Topsiders is a bar and grill {outdoor buffet} at the aft end of the pool area on deck 12 -There is no Spinnaker lounge on the DAWN - was renamed the Bliss Ultra Lounge deck 7 aft

There is no inside sheltered viewing lounge areas on the DAWN per se -

The pool deck is as indoor sheltered as it will be -

The Promenade deck 7 is somewhat sheltered from the elements -

And finally the Jogging Running track on deck 13

Other viewing areas are the forward and aft decks 13 and 14

The Great Outdoors nothing in the aft end - closest resemblance is Topsiders mid-ship. 

Merry Christmas - my how time flies. I think it's been a few years now since our Sun Cruise. 

Regarding the Dawn, I was looking at Deck plans and looks like the Great Outdoors has been removed and replaced with a kiddie pool area 😞 😔 That was one thing I really liked about the pre Epic ships.

There is no observation lounge or Spinnaker with a view to the front of the ship. There used to be one on the Dawn and sister ship, Star, but they removed them and turned the space into balcony-less suites. There is no good aft outdoor eating area such as the Great Outdoors you find on other ships. Yes, you can eat by the pool, but there is lots of noise and no nice view. For me, those two short-comings make my cruises on the Dawn less enjoyable than other ships, but I still cruise and have a nice time. 

• Like 2

We sailed on the Dawn in September 2022 for UK, Ireland, Netherlands and Belgium.  We enjoyed it.  Less high-end entertainment than the mega ships, but smaller can be comfortable.  We obtained a very reasonable priced suite just off the pool deck - handy for quick walks in the cool weather to the hot tubs.

• Like 1

on the deluxe owners suite with 2 balconies, i know there is a separate bedroom, and it claims to sleep 4. is there another bedroom for the other people, and if so, do they have a separate toilet and shower also?

we're 3 people, my wife and i, and a good friend who has been our traveling companion recently. we the 3 of us travel, we usually get the 2 bedroom suite (so i know what i'm getting there) this time i'd like to try and splurge.

please help/advise if you can

On 12/18/2022 at 2:01 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

To further clarify, topsiders and great outdoors are two different venues.  Since you mentioned great viewing, are you referring to great outdoors?  (back of the ship)

We consider Topsiders to be great viewing - but we enjoy people watching.  It's one of the places we love the most on Dawn.   

1 hour ago, barric said:

DVD players?

We are booked in a family suite Jan 28 on Dawn.

Can anyone tell me if a DVD player is in the suite.  I would like to play media that I bring myself.  

We did not have a DVD player in our Family Suite last month. I don't know if it's something that you can request, though. There are some on-demand movies available (free of charge for suite guests), but the selection was not very good.

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

on the deluxe owners suite with 2 balconies, i know there is a separate bedroom, and it claims to sleep 4. is there another bedroom for the other people, and if so, do they have a separate toilet and shower also?

we're 3 people, my wife and i, and a good friend who has been our traveling companion recently. we the 3 of us travel, we usually get the 2 bedroom suite (so i know what i'm getting there) this time i'd like to try and splurge.

please help/advise if you can

Here is a recent video for Owners Suite 9006. There is no second bedroom. I suspect the couch pulls out into the second bed. 

The Dawn and Star used to have OS on 9 & 10 forward.  DOS with two layouts were added on 12 around ten years ago when they removed the forward observation lounge.  Those DOS have no outside space.

Last couple years they changed the ones on 10 to DOS with two balconies so they could charge more as people liked 10 better than 9.  Both types on 9 & 10 have a master with full bathroom and heavy pocket doors and drapes to separate from living room.  In living room is a couch for guests  3 & 4.  There is a small powder room just by door to get into room.  It has a toilet and sink.

These OS, as well as many existing suites, were expanded from 2 guests to 3 or 4 depending on size of how big of a couch they could fit.  That happened right around when rooms on 12 were added.  We actually sailed Star in a DOS in 12 when they had a bunch of the white leather type couches staged on a lower deck in a common area.

• Like 2

Is the theatre in the Dawn the same as on the Star?

We were just on the Star (Lisbon-Buenos Aires) and didn't like the theatre as much as most.  The seat pitch is very tight, no legroom, like an economy airline, and there are no cupholders.  Views from the side balconies instead are not great (too many curves and glass).

3 hours ago, Rob_H said:

Is the theatre in the Dawn the same as on the Star?

We were just on the Star (Lisbon-Buenos Aires) and didn't like the theatre as much as most.  The seat pitch is very tight, no legroom, like an economy airline, and there are no cupholders.  Views from the side balconies instead are not great (too many curves and glass).

Yes, the Dawn's theater seats are as you described. The balconies had bench seating with a ledge by the glass for you to place a drink. Some of the balcony seating area is curved a bit away from the stage.

On 12/17/2022 at 11:30 AM, mafig said:

Splash of Water, 

Generally, we don't book ships that are as old as Dawn.  However, DH really wants to cruise out of Tampa again.  We live much closer to Tampa and it seems we're always traveling to other ports rather than taking advantage of its closeness.  

So I'm going to ask you to look into your crystal ball.  I'm looking at booking during the Easter holiday.  (either April 2 or 9).  Do you think Dawn will attract a lot of children?  .... not a fair question since you were just on her for 13 days and we'll only be on her for 7.  But can you just guess for me?

We were wondering the same thing. Just got off an 8 day Carnival Christmas cruise and the teenagers seemed to have fun run of the ship.