Music walk chases us away from HAL

IJustWantToGo36

We are in our 40s and getting ready to go on our first HAL cruise. We have been very confused about why the main stage is not scheduled to be used. We like music but not the so called "intimate" setting of these music walk venues. We see it as a crowded bar. That does not appeal to us. Other lines have the same dueling pianos and other venues with music like the music walk, but they also have a main stage show each evening. Plus, movies by the pool, games shows, etc. We like to do things with our kids in the evening after dinner because it is our time when everyone comes together and we discuss our day and plans for tomorrow and then spend some common time. Most of our days on the ship, we are all scattered about. If the people in the music walk are talented, then why not bring them to the main theater for more people to watch?

• Like 2

We are in our 40s and getting ready to go on our first HAL cruise. We have been very confused about why the main stage is not scheduled to be used. We like music but not the so called "intimate" setting of these music walk venues. We see it as a crowded bar. That does not appeal to us. Other lines have the same dueling pianos and other venues with music like the music walk, but they also have a main stage show each evening. Plus, movies by the pool, games shows, etc. We like to do things with our kids in the evening after dinner because it is our time when everyone comes together and we discuss our day and plans for tomorrow and then spend some common time. Most of our days on the ship, we are all scattered about. If the people in the music walk are talented, then why not bring them to the main theater for more people to watch?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ski ww said:

You used to be able to dance the night away in the Crows Nest, there used to be a band playing requests late at night.

That would be nice if they brought that back. I remember in 2006 in the crows nest on the Zuiderdam my brother-in-law got up with the band and sang Sweet Caroline, it was a good time. Much to the dismay of the other people there I'm sure but it was nearly empty.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

Definitely more of a bar band type of set up than a show. I haven't been on a Pinnacle class ship yet but the other BB Kings set ups that I have visited were packed venues with dancing. I don't think it would work well in a theater type of setting. I do think the comedians should be on the main stage though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

Maybe on a holiday cruise you might have games but besides trivia,  games are not big on HAL.  And trivia is not for the faintest of hearts, HAL trivia players are very competitive.   Only the pinnacle class ships have movies by the pools and the sound is not that great with the roof retracted which is most of the time the Caribbean.  If you like multimedia presentations then you may like the theater 

We really like the BB King and Rolling Stone venues, but find the sound level almost unbearably loud.  Aside from making conversation (and ordering drinks) nearly impossible, pumping the amps up that much muddies the sound and buries all the instruments into one sonic smear.

We were on the Rotterdam in October on deck 4 midships, and as someone earlier noted we could hear a faint bass thump coming up through the atrium over the BBK stage.

The sound meter on my smartphone measured the level in both venues at 90+db.  This is controllable, set by the sound guy in the control booth at the back.  Who knows who decides what the level should be ?  Interestingly, between sets the recorded music fill-in was dropped to 80db.

• Like 1

I agree with the posters who avoid the music walk. I hate how loud it is. I made the mistake of trying to walk through there one night, and it was hell. LOUD, crowd spilling out of the bar to the extent that it would have been a fire code violation in a land venue. I'm a little claustrophobic about being in a crowd, and I nearly had a panic attack. I wanted to scream FIRE! just to see if anyone would even hear me. 

I learned my lesson. I stay out of there. I know it's popular, and HAL probably makes good money on the drinks. But it isn't for me. Fortunately, the Pinnacle ships also have movies by the pool, which balances things out for me.

The other thing I dislike about Music Walk is that putting Lincoln Center into BBKings has forced the LC group into awkward performance times. It had to be done so they wouldn't be overpowered by all the noise, but it devalues their performances.

Bring back the Neptunes in the Ocean Bar!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

You didn't like it, so you need to find another cruise line.  We and many others love it.

By definition, Rock music should be loud!  Can you imagine the complaints if Jumpin' Jack Flash was performed pianissimo? 😉

There are plenty of other locations for a quiet drink and conversation even on the same deck without crossing the music walk.

We love the Music Walk and now will probably only sail on Pinnacle class.  But then we are the younger target market being in our early 70's 🤣

🤣, I have spent countless years trying to convince DW that rock music should be LOUD. The battle over changing the volume on the stereo in the car is almost endless. There are tapes I won't even put in when she is with me. For instance, she does like Santana, but I can't imagine listening to them at the low volume she would want. (When we have seen them "together" at Bethel Woods (the original Woodstock site), I work my way to move up while she goes in the opposite direction up the hill. We almost did not find one another the last time after the concert to find the car and get home. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, JennysUncle said:

We really like the BB King and Rolling Stone venues, but find the sound level almost unbearably loud.  Aside from making conversation (and ordering drinks) nearly impossible, pumping the amps up that much muddies the sound and buries all the instruments into one sonic smear.

We were on the Rotterdam in October on deck 4 midships, and as someone earlier noted we could hear a faint bass thump coming up through the atrium over the BBK stage.

The sound meter on my smartphone measured the level in both venues at 90+db.  This is controllable, set by the sound guy in the control booth at the back.  Who knows who decides what the level should be ?  Interestingly, between sets the recorded music fill-in was dropped to 80db.

(bold is mine) Thank you for this comment! Overamping isn't just in the music walk. Sometimes the sound is cranked up too high in the main showroom. I had to walk out of the showroom one night on Veendam because they had amplified a grand piano so much that it sounded tinny like a kid's toy piano. I didn't think that was possible. I wandered into the Ocean bar and found a band that could play well and control their volume. It is possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keysey222 said:

I disagree. Many of us under 50's enjoy 1970's rock. Personally, I prefer music from the mid 60's-1970's and I'm 40 (so do most of my peers). Our parents listened to it and most of us were raised in a home with it playing all the time when we were teenagers. I really enjoy the music on HAL. 

We are also the under 50 yo cohort and very much enjoy (and prefer) the 60-early 90's selections we hear on HAL. We too grew up listening too it all on the radio or with our parents from infancy on.

On our last cruise on N.Statendam in September, the BB King's dance floor was PACKED with couples, especially on dressy nights but even on regular nights. It was very fun. And the volume was just right, we could hear every instrument distinctly and understand the vocalists. That was our first time on a Pinnacle ship and we enjoyed the ship very much. But then we have never had a bad cruise.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

On our last cruise on N.Statendam in September, the BB King's dance floor was PACKED with couples, especially on dressy nights but even on regular nights. 

How could it be packed.  On our cruise- the stage came out and covered 60%+ of dance floor so 10 couples  maxed it out?

1 hour ago, Reds4life said:

Same ago demo; 2 HAL cruises this year (our first). 

There were SOME games, but they are 30 mins and in small venues.  Fun, but far from being broadcast as main entertainment (Majority Rules gameshow, Team Pictionary). Main Stage, Lincoln Center plays along to BBC World show. Unique, interesting.  Worth seeing, but not high replay value.  There will be a couple of movies by the pool during the week, but only 1 showing per day at night. If Pinnacle class ship, there is a whole additional Movie Night menu of snacks you can order.  Beware: TV screen by pool only plays a screen saver all day.  

Lots of people around ship commenting how much fun BB King Band would be on Main Stage but nada. You'd think they'd grab a talented keyboard player or guitarist and have them play by the pool or in Ocean Bar during happy hour; nada. The Music Walk performers almost exclusively are between 7-11PM (maybe 11:15 some nights, I am sure someone will berate...I mean correct me soon) in the designated spots; Lincoln Center performances are scattered throughout the day and select evenings because of logistics.  There will never be more than 3 out of 4 of the venues operating a given day. They rotate schedules; Billboard is basically in the same area as Rolling Stone; both can not operate at same time.  Billboard is just two piano players that turn the energy down to a 4. It is not duelling pianos or a request bar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, millennial said:

That would be nice if they brought that back. I remember in 2006 in the crows nest on the Zuiderdam my brother-in-law got up with the band and sang Sweet Caroline, it was a good time. Much to the dismay of the other people there I'm sure but it was nearly empty.

In the end if the demand is there (enough people are expressing interest in something), I do believe they would still be offering it. Like anything, It may be popular for a while, and then maybe not. If they have venues that start to become unpopular (empty), I expect that would be why they stopped them offering them.

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Lots of people around ship commenting how much fun BB King Band would be on Main Stage but nada. You'd think they'd grab a talented keyboard player or guitarist and have them play by the pool or in Ocean Bar during happy hour; nada. The Music Walk performers almost exclusively are between 7-11PM (maybe 11:15 some nights, I am sure someone will berate...I mean correct me soon) in the designated spots; Lincoln Center performances are scattered throughout the day and select evenings because of logistics.  There will never be more than 3 out of 4 of the venues operating a given day. They rotate schedules; Billboard is basically in the same area as Rolling Stone; both can not operate at same time.  Billboard is just two piano players that turn the energy down to a 4. It is not duelling pianos or a request bar. 

This did this on the Rotterdam in October and I would have called it a fail.They had a talented piano player, playing in a packed bar Ocean Bar full of people talking and laughing very loudly where he could not really even be heard. It was in  essence a very talented musician becoming background music (that people just had to talk louder over). I felt really bad for the guy.

Billboard does do sets of "request"  music.  You're right though, never any duelling (thankfully), not sure why they keep getting called that. On our last cruise, they played a show one evening in the theatre and were joined by the dancers and had some visuals using the screens around the stage and theatre.  Really enjoyed that show (forget what it was called).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We sit in Billboard every evening  for about 1.5 hours and listen to both rooms 

And we wish we were with you!  We are headed to Cabo today to end Christmas with all our family.  Have a house on the beach rented that will hold 9 adults and 4 kids.  We will need a cruise after this.  Travel safely!  Happy Holidays! 

Just now, highland cruiser said:

And we wish we were with you!  We are headed to Cabo today to end Christmas with all our family.  Have a house on the beach rented that will hold 9 adults and 4 kids.  We will need a cruise after this.  Travel safely!  Happy Holidays! 

Same to you..

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree with the posters who avoid the music walk. I hate how loud it is. I made the mistake of trying to walk through there one night, and it was hell. LOUD, crowd spilling out of the bar to the extent that it would have been a fire code violation in a land venue. I'm a little claustrophobic about being in a crowd, and I nearly had a panic attack. I wanted to scream FIRE! just to see if anyone would even hear me. 

now if I did not know this was a HAL thread I would swear you are describing a Carnival ship.

guessing the image of HAL needs to be spread around more as a lot of folks think it is a quiet older crowd with nothing to do after 10pm.

Still I hope HAL tries to separate the noise from the various venues so those who like classical music can enjoy too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

We are also the under 50 yo cohort and very much enjoy (and prefer) the 60-early 90's selections we hear on HAL. We too grew up listening too it all on the radio or with our parents from infancy on.

On our last cruise on N.Statendam in September, the BB King's dance floor was PACKED with couples, especially on dressy nights but even on regular nights. It was very fun. And the volume was just right, we could hear every instrument distinctly and understand the vocalists. That was our first time on a Pinnacle ship and we enjoyed the ship very much. But then we have never had a bad cruise.  

But then we have never had a bad cruise.   Us as well....

• Like 1

We also just got off the Rotterdam after 21 days. We never even tried the music walk since few if any wore masks and we avoided large groups. I am sure the noise would have driven us away too. We did go to Lincoln Center and could stay in the balcony area on Deck 3 to hear the concerts. Perhaps the Have It All promotions with the 15 drink a day limit is also trying to attract a young crowd. That may work with a short cruise. I wonder what it will be like on our 19 day crossing in April. How many non retired folk will  be on the cruise?

At one time the piano bar would be a wonderful place to hear all kinds of music. At times it was a huge singalong. 

4 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

When sailing on Rotterdam, it's important to get a stateroom pretty far away.  I thought we'd be safe from Music walk with our last cruise on RD, but the boom boom boom of the music was still heard.  It was not enough to drive us nuts, but I made note that next time on RD, we need to get a stateroom even further away.  

Where were you?  What deck?

We were on NS in September and loved the Billboard and BB Kings.  Rolling Stones produce a volume my hearing can't handle.  We're on board now and we avoid the Billboard because of the poor quality and repetitive play list.  We expected better for our 7 week stay.  There is a blizzard warning for our home location this week so the warm weather keeps me from regretting this booking.  Still the experience is not as great as our two weeks+ in September.