MDR Arvia

binman2

56 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Well yes, of course it is!  And nobody expects fine dining from an MDR…nothing remotely close. Good food - and consistently - would be nice though. But horses for courses 

I class MDR meals as 3 course meals you would be happy to pay £25 to £30 per head ish for when staying in a hotel in UK.

I think that's what we get. Always a decent choice. Bread included as well.

No complaints from me. You need never go hungry on a cruise

Breakfast worth £12.50 per head

Burgers/Pizza and fries. Worth £12.50 per head

Lunch Buffet. Worth £20 per head

Afternoon Tea worth £15 per head

MDR dinner at worth £25 per head

After dinner late night pizza etc worth £10 per head

Thats my evaluation

Food worth £90 per head per day if you can eat that much!!!

Plenty of choice. Something for everyone

IMO

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

No one can argue that a inside guarantee with P&O is anything but fantastic value for money. 

A balcony cabin on the bigger P&O ship is similiary very good value for money. 

But no-one should expect luxury or fine dining , you get what you pay for. but you can make it more luxurious with speciality dining.

If you want Michelin dining and luxury then pay £1000 a night for one of the luxury cruise lines. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

very interesting reading all this.  We have just been away for our 30th anniversary, staying in a couple of lovely pubs/inns in Cornwall.  Dinner for two most evenings was about £50 including a bottle wine.  Now I should add that one course is enough for us.  With starters and dessert it would have been about £72.  The food was tasty and well presented.

I find the MDR menus are very boring.  meat and two veg!  Duck, Beef or Chicken and the fish is often sea bass which I dislike.    I do like different things, like a tasty curry, lasagne, prawn provencale.  None of those ever seem to be available on P&O

Happy 30th wedding anniversary Jean.

Screenshot_20221224_131411.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

All have been available on Arcadia this cruise. 

Lasagne, curry etc?  Well that makes a change?  In the MDR?  I have seen the odd curry on, but not the others.  I am not a lover of roast dinners and that is what you seem to get.  Lamb shank makes me feel sick!!  Ha ha.

Edited by jeanlyon

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Fine dining for us is eating in Tewkesbury's wetherspoons cheap eats is the one in Wolverhampton, not really into spending a fortune just to say I have eaten somewhere.

There’s a Wetherspoons in Tewkesbury? 😳

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Fine dining for us is eating in Tewkesbury's wetherspoons cheap eats is the one in Wolverhampton, not really into spending a fortune just to say I have eaten somewhere.

Guess I won’t be fine dining in Tewkesbury or Eating cheaply in Wolverhampton, I have not stepped inside a Wetherspoons since 2010 after getting food poisoning in one. 

Edited by Snow Hill

11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Guess I won’t be fine dining in Tewkesbury or Eating cheaply in Wolverhampton, I have not stepped inside a Wetherspoons since 2010 after getting food poisoning in one. 

Alas you missing out on curry night and steak night all with a pint of beer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

very interesting reading all this.  We have just been away for our 30th anniversary, staying in a couple of lovely pubs/inns in Cornwall.  Dinner for two most evenings was about £50 including a bottle wine.  Now I should add that one course is enough for us.  With starters and dessert it would have been about £72.  The food was tasty and well presented.

I find the MDR menus are very boring.  meat and two veg!  Duck, Beef or Chicken and the fish is often sea bass which I dislike.    I do like different things, like a tasty curry, lasagne, prawn provencale.  None of those ever seem to be available on P&O

Curry has been in the MDR along with steak, lamb shank, fish and chips etc 

On 12/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, carlanthony24 said:

Curry has been in the MDR along with steak, lamb shank, fish and chips etc 

I had curry, stir fry, fish and chips, steak pie and a chicken salad, albeit the chicken salad wasn't on the menu, I also had lamb canon three times as it was excellent as was the veggie curries, however that was a 40 night cruise and I guess they had to vary the menu a bit more.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:24 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

I class MDR meals as 3 course meals you would be happy to pay £25 to £30 per head ish for when staying in a hotel in UK.

I think that's what we get. Always a decent choice. Bread included as well.

No complaints from me. You need never go hungry on a cruise

Breakfast worth £12.50 per head

Burgers/Pizza and fries. Worth £12.50 per head

Lunch Buffet. Worth £20 per head

Afternoon Tea worth £15 per head

MDR dinner at worth £25 per head

After dinner late night pizza etc worth £10 per head

Thats my evaluation

Food worth £90 per head per day if you can eat that much!!!

Plenty of choice. Something for everyone

IMO

All well and good ICF but they actually have to available and more importantly eatable for you to pay that money.  For instance the lunch and evening buffet cold selection on Britannia was the same every day.  I shall list - it's pretty small!

Lettuce 

Chopped tomatoes

Shredded carrot

Shredded beetroot

Cucumber 

Potato salad - sometimes with chives

Coleslaw (not every day)

There were also small ready prepared bowls with things like quinoa

There were also slices of ham, pieces of mackerel, Lancashire cheese, Danish Blue and occasional cheddar. Other cold meats were Danish salami, mortadella and a whole glut of sliced Turkey after Christmas day.

None of this changed in 14 days.  Stupid things not available like cream cheese and sweetcorn totally non existent.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

All well and good ICF but they actually have to available and more importantly eatable for you to pay that money.  For instance the lunch and evening buffet cold selection on Britannia was the same every day.  I shall list - it's pretty small!

Lettuce 

Chopped tomatoes

Shredded carrot

Shredded beetroot

Cucumber 

Potato salad - sometimes with chives

Coleslaw (not every day)

There were also small ready prepared bowls with things like quinoa

There were also slices of ham, pieces of mackerel, Lancashire cheese, Danish Blue and occasional cheddar. Other cold meats were Danish salami, mortadella and a whole glut of sliced Turkey after Christmas day.

None of this changed in 14 days.  Stupid things not available like cream cheese and sweetcorn totally non existent.

Sounds yummy. When choosing cheese I occasionally chose cheddar, so the occasional cheddar was probably P&O taking up my suggestion.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sounds yummy. When choosing cheese I occasionally chose cheddar, so the occasional cheddar was probably P&O taking up my suggestion.

It appeared for 2 days so you should be proud! Stilton came on 27th as a one day special. There were Gouda and Edam slices too, did you perhaps suggest those too???!

41 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It appeared for 2 days so you should be proud! Stilton came on 27th as a one day special. There were Gouda and Edam slices too, did you perhaps suggest those too???!

I assume they had hot food as well. So on the cold selection. Salad , cold meat, cheese, fish. I assume various salad dressings and puds. Just like at home.🤣

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I assume they had hot food as well. So on the cold selection. Salad , cold meat, cheese, fish. I assume various salad dressings and puds. Just like at home.🤣

There was indeed hot food.  For me as someone who doesn't eat in the buffet often the choice was extremely repetitive by the look of it and vastly inferior to the offerings previously on my P&O cruises and also on Celebrity and Princess. 

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

There was indeed hot food.  For me as someone who doesn't eat in the buffet often the choice was extremely repetitive by the look of it and vastly inferior to the offerings previously on my P&O cruises and also on Celebrity and Princess. 

Found the same on Azura at night decided to get room service instead. Love a good curry. Had to ask for biscuits a few times some staff didn't seem that interested. They only had the one half open as well compared to both sections in the same area not sure if this is a permanent thing now.  

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

Found the same on Azura at night decided to get room service instead. Love a good curry. Had to ask for biscuits a few times some staff didn't seem that interested. They only had the one half open as well compared to both sections in the same area not sure if this is a permanent thing now.  

Both halves opened for breakfast on the one occasion I used it but not when I passed through lunch and evening times.  There seemed to be periods of around an hour twice a day when no food except burgers and pizzas were available. Not a problem to me as I normally eat lunch ashore or in MDR but certainly some seemed very confused.

• Like 1