Lobster Tails in the MDR/Specialty Restaurants

MDR still has their weekly offering... Rumors they may be limiting to just one . (being tested out on a ship).

WE cruised on Odyssey over Thanksgiving and it was offered on 2 nd formal night. I never asked for a 2nd but our waiter automatically offered and immediately brought out

9 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

What ships have lobster tails in the MDR for free or Specialty Dining rooms?

Cruises 7 days and over have lobster tails. Perhaps 6 days but I havent done any 6 day cruise. Cruises shorter than that dont usually have them, though I got them on grandeur. 

Always some exceptions, but its length of cruise not ship. 

Edited by firefly333

We had Lobster tails (in any quantities) on all ships this year on second formal nigh. Anthem, Adventure, Oasis, Enchantment. 7-12 days.

Warm water lobsters of course.

I heard that in future it will be just one, but New England lobster tail. I would take this change. Would prefer claws, but ...

I believe all ships of seven nights or more sailing from the US have complimentary lobster tail in the MDR. Coastal kitchen serves a poached lobster.  Lobster in chops is extra charge over the cover fee. 

and, just to confuse things, we recently sailed  a FIVE night Jewel cruise and had complimentary lobster served one evening. And, it wasn’t the formal night!  Royal keeps us guessing. 
m

On sailings out of U.S. ports - have heard that lobster is not a common menu item on sailings out of European or other non U.S. ports.

BTW, ordered two each for DW and myself on Jewel the week before Christmas, and they were all a good size and quite tender.

Recently at CK, they simply take the poached lobster  pieces and broil it.  Didn't care for it.  We like the lobster in the shell and simply go to the dining room  on the appropriate night if we want a lobster tail.  We've never been successful getting any MDR item in CK (or the item is there but dried out because they got it hours before dinner) so we enjoy the MDR the nights lobster or other items are on the MDR menu.     Nice change or scenery

M

New really been impressed with the lobster on the ship.  For us it's ok, but our recent cruises we have turned it down.  Best for us is either I do it or purchase it at the grocery store where they steam it for free and we just take it home and eat it.  We're not lobster snobs, we just like what we like.

Edited by Magicat

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

New really been impressed with the lobster on the ship.  For us it's ok, but our recent cruises we have turned it down.  Best for us is either I do it or purchase it at the grocery store where they steam it for free and we just take it home and eat it.  We're not lobster snobs, we just like what we like.

Plenty of other options on the menu.   No need to eat something you don't  want. 

10 hours ago, majmaj4 said:

Neither of my cruises this year on  Jewel (12 days) or Grandeur (5 days) had Lobster for free in the Main Dining Room

Where did the cruises start from and/or where what were the ports on Jewel?
5 Nights would not recieve lobster... I believe it is 6 nights or longer  

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Hooked (specialty restaurant) has the smaller warm-water lobster tails on their menu (included). They also have whole main lobster on the menu (included). 

Hooked was included with the Cruise Fare or the Lobster was included with the dining package or fee of the Specialty Restaurant? 

3 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Where did the cruises start from and/or where what were the ports on Jewel?
5 Nights would not recieve lobster... I believe it is 6 nights or longer  

Hooked was included with the Cruise Fare or the Lobster was included with the dining package or fee of the Specialty Restaurant? 

Hooked is a "pay extra" restaurant. You can either pay for it per-meal, or you can go there as part of the Unlimited Dining Package. The lobster is included on the Hooked menu (as opposed to Chops, which is also a "pay extra" restaurant, but which charges an additional fee if you want to order lobster off their menu).

18 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Hooked is a "pay extra" restaurant. You can either pay for it per-meal, or you can go there as part of the Unlimited Dining Package. The lobster is included on the Hooked menu (as opposed to Chops, which is also a "pay extra" restaurant, but which charges an additional fee if you want to order lobster off their menu).

I've been to hooked... I was just confused by the comment. But but comparing to Chops where it is an additional upcharge I understand what you were saying 🙂

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1