Percentage of Covid Cases on Cruise Ships Currently or Odds of getting it?

rrdr78

From your experience on board or from reports from friends or family who recently sailed, what percentage of people do you think are positive and what are the odds of pickup up covid during the cruise? I'd image the case count or percentage of covid positive guests cruising right after the holidays would be higher than the summer time. 

I may be mad, but I seem to be noticing that a large % of people I know who have recently contracted covid have never had it before. My entire family cruised in December on Luminosa (ages from 30 - 89) and none of them got it. All have had it before.

I have 2 upcoming Luminosa cruises and am active on a number of the fb groups and there is little talk of covid and, again, a lot of those who have mentioned getting it onboard seem to be first time spicy coughers... 

It doesn't answer your question in any way but just my general observation.

• Like 6

I decided to spend my 7 day cruise to GBR on my balcony or outside on the ship.  I didn't attend any inside functions, except for dining.  There were five of us on our big round table.  We all wore masks away from dining, but not at the dining table when eating and drinking.  The others attended night entertainment.  One woman on our table tested positive when she disembarked from the ship.  The rest of us didn't.

Half way through our Westerdam cruise there are currently 20 passengers in isolation, down from 25 yesterday but with 3 new cases today. I think there are less than 1600 passengers on board. There are 5 crew members in isolation as well. A mandatory RAT test was done on day 3, with results reported immediately to cabin stewards. That resulted in 12 passengers testing positive and the have been a few new cases each day. 

The current variants of Omicron are far more contagious than the original Covid variants. The R0 factor is use to indicate how contagious a virus is. The original Covid was R0 factor of 2-3 meaning each person infected would then infect an average of 2-3 other people. The current variants have an R0 factor of 18.6! That's probably why people who never had it previously are now catching it.

I caught it on our 5th cruise this year although we did nothing different from the previous four cruises. It was longer cruise and there was no mandatory testing early in the cruise. I caught it on day 14 and I believe numbers in isolation were still quite low at that time. A few days later mandatory tests were required for all passengers wishing to go ashore and the isolation numbers jumped significantly. Despite sharing a cabin with me during isolation Rolf never caught it.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I decided to spend my 7 day cruise to GBR on my balcony or outside on the ship.  I didn't attend any inside functions, except for dining.  There were five of us on our big round table.  We all wore masks away from dining, but not at the dining table when eating and drinking.  The others attended night entertainment.  One woman on our table tested positive when she disembarked from the ship.  The rest of us didn't.

Thank you for sharing. 

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Half way through our Westerdam cruise there are currently 20 passengers in isolation, down from 25 yesterday but with 3 new cases today. I think there are less than 1600 passengers on board. There are 5 crew members in isolation as well. A mandatory RAT test was done on day 3, with results reported immediately to cabin stewards. That resulted in 12 passengers testing positive and the have been a few new cases each day. 

The current variants of Omicron are far more contagious than the original Covid variants. The R0 factor is use to indicate how contagious a virus is. The original Covid was R0 factor of 2-3 meaning each person infected would then infect an average of 2-3 other people. The current variants have an R0 factor of 18.6! That's probably why people who never had it previously are now catching it.

I caught it on our 5th cruise this year although we did nothing different from the previous four cruises. It was longer cruise and there was no mandatory testing early in the cruise. I caught it on day 14 and I believe numbers in isolation were still quite low at that time. A few days later mandatory tests were required for all passengers wishing to go ashore and the isolation numbers jumped significantly. Despite sharing a cabin with me during isolation Rolf never caught it.

Thank you for sharing. Where you taking an special precautions throughout the cruises? For example, eating on the outdoor patio, no shows, no crowded bars or specialty restaurants?

59 minutes ago, rrdr78 said:

Thank you for sharing. Where you taking an special precautions throughout the cruises? For example, eating on the outdoor patio, no shows, no crowded bars or specialty restaurants?

We were careful without impacting our enjoyment. We wore KN95 masks when moving around the ship and in the theatres etc. We chose bars with well-spaced seating (although that didn't stop unmasked people standing next to us while talking to their friends nearby), and dined mostly in the MDR at tables for two (except the odd breakfast after we'd slept in later than intended). We went to morning trivia most days but always wore our masks. We washed our hands regularly and carried sanitizer to use after handling menus etc. On warm sea days we spent the afternoons in the Sanctuary, a Princess retreat area with well-spaced sun loungers and it's own pool.

• Thanks 1

We recently cruised 7 days on Carnival Luminosa.  I was very nervous about getting Covid on board - to the point of considering cancelling (purely because I didn’t want us to have to isolate in our cabins).  We wore mask’s & used sanitizer but otherwise cruised per normal.  We disembarked on the 11th Dec and neither of us had symptoms on board or since.

2 hours ago, mum and son said:

I may be mad, but I seem to be noticing that a large % of people I know who have recently contracted covid have never had it before. My entire family cruised in December on Luminosa (ages from 30 - 89) and none of them got it. All have had it before.

I have 2 upcoming Luminosa cruises and am active on a number of the fb groups and there is little talk of covid and, again, a lot of those who have mentioned getting it onboard seem to be first time spicy coughers... 

I agree with you, I had come up with the same assumption as you everyone I know that has cruised this year got C & the one's like us that have had it didn't get it. 

Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself for our March cruise on Quantum. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

I agree with you, I had come up with the same assumption as you everyone I know that has cruised this year got C & the one's like us that have had it didn't get it. 

Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself for our March cruise on Quantum. 

I haven't had Covid and didn't get Covid on Luminosa.  As a vulnerable senior, I'm careful and prefer to spend time outside in the fresh air rather than inside.  I wear a mask when I cruise and when I attend the theatre because you are close to people.  It is impossible to keep the recommended distance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mum and son said:

This is my observation as well. Both at sea and on land. 
I have had it so hopefully my immunity sticks at least till my next cruise in Feb. 

When we boarded Carnival Splendor on 19 Dec there was no running water in the public bathrooms, bars, lido buffet or kitchen.  We only discovered the problem once on board.

I asked if we could get off until the issue was fixed and they refused.

So I don't know how anybody (pax AND crew) were washing their hands after going to the bathroom or preparing meals etc.

IMHO this contravenes the hygiene standards particularly during COVID ....

Anyhoo - we cruised with a party of 8, so far 4 have tested positive ...... so 50 % is our hit rate

1 hour ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

When we boarded Carnival Splendor on 19 Dec there was no running water in the public bathrooms, bars, lido buffet or kitchen.  We only discovered the problem once on board.

I asked if we could get off until the issue was fixed and they refused.

So I don't know how anybody (pax AND crew) were washing their hands after going to the bathroom or preparing meals etc.

IMHO this contravenes the hygiene standards particularly during COVID ....

Anyhoo - we cruised with a party of 8, so far 4 have tested positive ...... so 50 % is our hit rate

How long was there no running water? That’s insane. 

• Like 1

I tested positive after getting off quantum in November and dh tested positive a couple of days after me.  I suspect I caught it on a bus tour/shore excursion because we spent hours on the bus and a lot of people were coughing.  I am immunocompromised so was not really surprised despite taking precautions (masking, avoiding crowds etc).  I didn’t catch it on an earlier cruise in August.  I have decided to avoid long bus excursions in future.  

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, mum and son said:

You're not bad.  Covid was rife  on our 34 day Cunard cruise in July/August . We'd had Omicron in early May (plus 1 booster) and  know for a fact we were multiple exposures to  people who came down with it. Everyone who  got Covid I asked them if it was there first time - it was - they had all been vaccinated and boosted but it didn't stop them getting it. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lissie said:

You're not bad.  Covid was rife  on our 34 day Cunard cruise in July/August . We'd had Omicron in early May (plus 1 booster) and  know for a fact we were multiple exposures to  people who came down with it. Everyone who  got Covid I asked them if it was there first time - it was - they had all been vaccinated and boosted but it didn't stop them getting it. 

The experts warned that the current boosters weren't as effective against Omicron variants several months ago. However they were recommended as they appeared to reduce the severity of the illness.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The Captain of Westerdam is announcing the Covid figures daily - new cases that day plus those currently in isolation. I've been tracking the progress since the beginning of the cruise:

In isolation (New cases)

21Dec - 0 passengers, 2 crew
22 Dec - 12 (12) passengers,  4 (2) crew
23 Dec - 15 (3) passengers, 4 crew
24 Dec - 17 (2) passengers, 5 (1) crew
25 Dec - 18 (1) passengers, 5 crew
26 Dec - 21 (1) passengers, 5 crew
27 Dec - 25 (4) passengers, 5 crew
28 Dec - 20 (3) passengers, 5 crew
29 Dec - 19 (5) passengers, 2 crew

The isolation totals are tapering off as people recover but new cases seem to be increasing slightly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My experience is that Covid is everywhere, chances of catching  it it is down to the individual. If you take the precautions then you limit your risk, everyone will have a different threshold for the risk and as such will decide what precautions and when to suit themselves.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Captain of Westerdam is announcing the Covid figures daily - new cases that day plus those currently in isolation. I've been tracking the progress since the beginning of the cruise:

In isolation (New cases)

21Dec - 0 passengers, 2 crew
22 Dec - 12 (12) passengers,  4 (2) crew
23 Dec - 15 (3) passengers, 4 crew
24 Dec - 17 (2) passengers, 5 (1) crew
25 Dec - 18 (1) passengers, 5 crew
26 Dec - 21 (1) passengers, 5 crew
27 Dec - 25 (4) passengers, 5 crew
28 Dec - 20 (3) passengers, 5 crew
29 Dec - 19 (5) passengers, 2 crew

The isolation totals are tapering off as people recover but new cases seem to be increasing slightly.

Thanks for interesting stats Julie. 

I don't know how many people caught Covid on my ship, Carnival's Luminosa, on our 7 day cruise to GBR, but I do know the woman, who sat next to me at dinner, tested positive to Covid on disembarking.  The other four tablemates didn't!