Why doesn't HAL have a Lobster Night?

Reds4life

11 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

There are reasons why most of the best, most expensive, and most of the higher quality restaurants in the world do not feature lobster dishes on their menus,

And the restaurants  that do feature lobster keep the lobsters live in a tank until they are ordered. The lobsters served on cruise ships on lobster night have been frozen,  So they are meh.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimbob22 said:

different strokes for different folks. I have no problem eating a pre-made EB, since it's undoubtedly fresher than much of the pre-made stuff I eat at home. The quality need not suffer other than sitting for a few minutes under the heat lamp.

I don't feel like waiting in a 10-15 minute line--but many have no problem with it of course.

Letting EB sit under the heat necessary to remain servable would mean that the muffin and bacon quickly become inedible (i.e. you cannot cut with fork or dinner knife) it would require a steak knife.  The egg yolk will become hard not runny.   Not my idea of a decent EB.

9 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

Letting EB sit under the heat necessary to remain servable would mean that the muffin and bacon quickly become inedible (i.e. you cannot cut with fork or dinner knife) it would require a steak knife.  The egg yolk will become hard not runny.   Not my idea of a decent EB.

I had one on Carnival where the egg was still very soft and I didn't need a chainsaw or anything like that.  The technology exists for all this.  And they may have had a few pre-made ones near the sticky buns (I only caught a quick glimpse of the covered metal pan over there).  But it's not a huge deal to me; I found other good things.   I would like if Hal upgraded the coffee though.  The lido coffee is probably the weakest coffee I've had on any cruise.

1 hour ago, jimbob22 said:

I had one on Carnival where the egg was still very soft and I didn't need a chainsaw or anything like that.  The technology exists for all this.  And they may have had a few pre-made ones near the sticky buns (I only caught a quick glimpse of the covered metal pan over there).  But it's not a huge deal to me; I found other good things.   I would like if Hal upgraded the coffee though.  The lido coffee is probably the weakest coffee I've had on any cruise.

Here is a good example of one method used to keep EB from being overdone on a buffet.  What it leads to is overdone bottom of the muffin and not even toasted top.  These muffins were obviously not toasted and likely not even warm.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/archived/cruise-diary-the-eggs-benedict-dilemma/

On 12/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, Reds4life said:

For all of the "upscale " talk, seems pretty cheap there isn't a Lobster Night. 

Perhaps it is because people order 2-6 of the lobster tails leaving them out for other quests and other meals or perhaps they are not making money when people order 6 lobster tails?

40 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

Here is a good example of one method used to keep EB from being overdone on a buffet.  What it leads to is overdone bottom of the muffin and not even toasted top.  These muffins were obviously not toasted and likely not even warm.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/archived/cruise-diary-the-eggs-benedict-dilemma/

I have my sherpa hit it with a blow torch for a bit to ensure the top is adequately browned before I ingest it. If you're not cruising with a personal sherpa, it's really the only way to go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

'Cuz nothing says "quality" like a pre-made omelet or eggs benedict. 

I'd never touch a pre-made E.B. in the buffet. In fact, one reason I eat in the buffet for breakfast is to get a fresh one. I don't even like the ones from the MDR as the dish is often tepid and the Hollandaise sauce congealed by the time it is brought to me.

QM2 has EB sitting out at the breakfast buffet and they do NOT look appetizing. If I want one, I'll wait for a fresh one rather than eat one that has been sitting out. 

On 12/28/2022 at 1:59 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Agreed, makes no sense for the entry level line to offer more than the superior mass market line.

Runs contrary to basic marketing.

Currently RCL is experiencing food and service downgrades while Celebrity is not (for specific items that differentiate the two).

Personally, considering the poor quality/taste of most mass market MDR lobster offerings consider that HAL is upgrading their dining service by providing other choices.  

On 12/28/2022 at 1:46 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree! On one of my Canada/New England cruises I made it a mission to have lobster roll (my favorite way to eat lobster) in every port. I even tried a McLobster (in Halifax, IIRC). Definitely not the best--too much lettuce filler, but not bad. A stall at the market in Saint John was the best.

Lobster roll in Charlottetown, PEI - not to be missed.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:49 AM, Destiny0315 said:

Right idea VTcruisenut. To me if you crave lobster on a cruise I suggest that you book one of Hal's 7 (or 14 b/b) night cruises that visits ports in Maine, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island and spend your $ on authentic versions of lobster meals off ship from the best sources.

We did a NE cruise on HAL years ago and got off the ship for lobster lunches almost every day!

• Like 1

Wow, surprised that this thread has gone on as long as it has. Some very amusing posts.

Never understood the draw for lobster. It's expensive, can be chewy and cumbersome to dig out of the shell to eat. Lobster Night on HAL would not be one of my incentives to cruise. Perhaps HAL is of the same mind?

I'm sure folks are aware of this but earlier in US history lobster was fed to poor people and prisoners. Basically treated as garbage food:

https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogo88 said:

Wow, surprised that this thread has gone on as long as it has. Some very amusing posts.

Never understood the draw for lobster. It's expensive, can be chewy and cumbersome to dig out of the shell to eat. Lobster Night on HAL would not be one of my incentives to cruise. Perhaps HAL is of the same mind?

I'm sure folks are aware of this but earlier in US history lobster was fed to poor people and prisoners. Basically treated as garbage food:

https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

I like lobster but the lobster served on lobster nights on cruise lines is a letdown to what is served in good land restaurants. It is work but if it is cooked right it is delicious. I like taking it out of the shell but at a restaurant that has Maine lobster on the menu you can ask them to take it out of the shell for you. 

11 hours ago, kangforpres said:

boy what if lobsters smoked? Then this would even be a more continuous topic!

Yes the Ultimate cruise scene(or not!). Smoking cigars in your cabana while eating eggs benedict heated under lamps, and previously frozen(not Maine)lobster tails, and washing it down with Pepsi(not Coke)products while blasting your boom box to drown out the band playing by the pool. Then throwing on a muscle shirt and jeans before heading to the main dining room and ordering 3 entrees, and joining the Baked Alaska parade. Getting bored while sitting in the main theater waiting for the stage show to(not)begin, so instead heading to the library to nap in a lounger for a bit before going down to the chocolate buffet. Returning to the room carefully while navigating through the food trays left outside cabins to find a towel animal, two chocolates, and the paper schedule for tomorrow on your bed. Awakening on debarkation day to find out that your OBC ran out 4 days ago, your flight home has been cancelled, your not getting your tiles, and your Covid test was positive! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

I'm getting a little tired of the repeated comments about the cold water vs warm water lobster. Yes, cold water lobster is probably superior, but warm water lobster is also good. You know you're not going to get cold water lobster, so adjust expectations. Those of us who grew up eating mainly warm water lobster like it and enjoy it and it can be very tasty (more flavor, to me, than cold-water varieties) when prepared well.  

I mean, do you expect filet mignon when you order hamburger?  But hamburgers can be delicious too.

As to the comments above about removing the lobster from the shell, I was surprised to read them -- does HAL not do this?  Celebrity does in the MDR on lobster night. 

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm getting a little tired of the repeated comments about the cold water vs warm water lobster. Yes, cold water lobster is probably superior, but warm water lobster is also good. You know you're not going to get cold water lobster, so adjust expectations. Those of us who grew up eating mainly warm water lobster like it and enjoy it and it can be very tasty (more flavor, to me, than cold-water varieties) when prepared well.  

I mean, do you expect filet mignon when you order hamburger?  But hamburgers can be delicious too.

As to the comments above about removing the lobster from the shell, I was surprised to read them -- does HAL not do this?  Celebrity does in the MDR on lobster night. 

HAL does remove the shells.  We've had wonderful warm water lobsters in Antigua, as well as wonderful cold Maine lobsters in Maine. Where I'm from, we call them bugs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

Yes the Ultimate cruise scene(or not!). Smoking cigars in your cabana while eating eggs benedict heated under lamps, and previously frozen(not Maine)lobster tails, and washing it down with Pepsi(not Coke)products while blasting your boom box to drown out the band playing by the pool. Then throwing on a muscle shirt and jeans before heading to the main dining room and ordering 3 entrees, and joining the Baked Alaska parade. Getting bored while sitting in the main theater waiting for the stage show to(not)begin, so instead heading to the library to nap in a lounger for a bit before going down to the chocolate buffet. Returning to the room carefully while navigating through the food trays left outside cabins to find a towel animal, two chocolates, and the paper schedule for tomorrow on your bed. Awakening on debarkation day to find out that your OBC ran out 4 days ago, your flight home has been cancelled, your not getting your tiles, and your Covid test was positive! 

You forgot about stopping by guest services to remove the daily service charges!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1